• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thoughts on the various Art Academy entries? Especially Wii U. What's the best game?

So right now on MyNintendo there are offers for 30% off the $30 games Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone for 3DS (900 Platinum Coins) and Art Academy: Home Studio for Wii U (70 Gold Coins).

MlWA77uHpMwFVx4RF1
PS_WiiU_ArtAcademyAtelier_UKV.jpg

61sBqLyzYzL._SY400_.jpg
cover_medium.jpg

I'm wondering what are people thoughts on the series overall and the best entry? There doesn't seem to be a ton of descriptive information or conversation about the series online.

For example I think the 3DS version allows you to take a picture to reference from but while the Wii U doesn't it allows you to import pictures from an SD card? Can you draw over these? I know the Wii U version allows uploads of drawings to YouTube.

The 3DS game says it has over 30 lessons. I'm not sure how many of these are "mini" lessons. In addition it has the following 10 DLC Lessons available for $1.99 each:
Pointillism & Textures
Fur & Feathers
Reflection & Refraction
Illumination
Reflections
Drawing Birds
Paint like Monet
Paint like Van Gogh
Life Drawing
Expressionism

The Wii U version is described as having has 30 new lessons.

The original two DSi releases had 10 lessons each which were bundled together for retail release.

250px-ArtAcademyUSBoxart.jpg

Has much of overlap is there in lessons is there between the three games? Which game has the best lessons? Which game covers the most? Is there a benefit to getting more than one game?

Also feel free to talk about the Pokémon and Disney Art Academy games.

103722b.jpg
CC7SERoSX2OTHv2A6Ae4Mlu1haVy6MJJ.png

Thanks for any help.

Steiner

Banned
The only Art Academy I've bought or played is Home Studio on Wii U, and man I truly loved it. I consider myself a very creative and artistic person, and have always been a little ashamed that I can't draw for shit.

These lessons walked be through some incredible lessons and I felt like I was growing and learning so much. I drew things on that game pad that I was genuinely proud of -- like, I showed them to my wife and wanted to post them on Miiverse.

I highly recommend it. The game goes along at a great pace, and you will learn some really useful techniques.

Home Studio is the only one I have, but I really enjoy it. Being able to view your works in a simulated home art gallery is a neat feature.

The only Art Academy I've bought or played is Home Studio on Wii U, and man I truly loved it. I consider myself a very creative and artistic person, and have always been a little ashamed that I can't draw for shit.

These lessons walked be through some incredible lessons and I felt like I was growing and learning so much. I drew things on that game pad that I was genuinely proud of -- like, I showed them to my wife and wanted to post them on Miiverse.

I highly recommend it. The game goes along at a great pace, and you will learn some really useful techniques.

Agreed, Art Academy Wii U is one of my favorite games on the system. The lessons do a great job of breaking down artistic concepts for the beginner. And the presentation has a surprising amount of polish: the soundtrack, virtual studio, art instructor, it's all very immersive. Miiverse takes the whole thing to another level, having a dedicated, focused community for sharing and helping others.

JeTmAn81

I've had the DS ones and main 3DS one (Lessons for Everyone). I can't compare to other versions but the 3DS one is a gem. Excellent, extensive lessons for various types of art.

They also have additional lessons for each art type without the instructions, so you do the first lesson following directions, try to remember all the instructions, then do it all for yourself with another subject image.

Art Academy is one of the main reasons I'm reluctant to ever get rid of my 3DS.

The only one I've played is Pokemon but I loved it. I legitimately saw an improvement to my art skills while playing through it.

Also, you have a rival in the game that makes the most adorably bad drawings ever.

zenspider

I only played the first one. I did re-do the lessons with paint and a sketchbook and got some chops. It's an amzing piece of software I imagine only got better in the mainline sequels.

fernoca

Also, you have a rival in the game that makes the most adorably bad drawings ever.
Yeah. How she failed at even drawing over stuff was amusing. XD

I have them on Wii U and 3DS.
I'd recommend the Wii U version simply because of the bigger screens and therefore ways to export bigger images. Buy if that's no biggie, you can't go wrong with any. They're all really good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I would bloody love art academy or something like that on iPad with pencil support. I really liked how they take you through things step by step but leave you to your own interpretation of things. Have the original on 3ds but is the follow up better or more of the same? Like the OP it’s difficult to actually find out much about what they offer.

The Wii U version is the only one I got but it's pretty fun. I haven't drawn in a while but I think it was worth it. Don't really know the differences between the games but you can export drawings easily from the Wii U. An SD card is recommended.

Top Bottom