• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands of Baltimore residents protest Freddie Gray’s death

Status
Not open for further replies.

esms

Some more pictures, taken from Baltimore Sun. Sorry for the ton of pictures.

mHJJT1V.jpg

What a poignant photo. There a bunch of subtleties that I could go on and on about on this photo alone, but I'll just leave it at poignant.

PopeReal

Oh I guess nobody is ever allowed to air their opinion on this flaw of some society ever again. Sure it's been said every single time, but lets imagine for a moment there's always going to be someone who's not aware of how it's almost a cliche.
Let them, I think it's awful we're just overlooking how some people's livelihood are being threatened but we can sit back on a forum and make fun of those stating the obvious - I mean if something happened to your property, business or person you wouldn't sing the same tune.

There's room for everything, the event that started it all, the actual protests and the effect of it.

You are worried about property and order. So is most of America, and that is why police are going to be allowed to continue to do what they do.

commedieu

Banned
I really do feel bad for the black officers at times like this. They know full well the PD is bullshit, treats them the same way, etc. But its their job to be there and suppress their own people. No sympathy for the boys in the hood black cops. But, these folks must have a bit of a struggle.

This is bullshit, and the type of insular mindset that holds progress back. Them being white in no way prevents them from expressing outrage or disapproval about police brutality.

Maybe your right. I was just being pedantic but I can see how my view could be seen as insular and damaging. My bad.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm glad to see that more people have been posting who can separate rioting shitbags from actual protesters who are asking questions and requesting answers. I was worried about this thread last night.

Maybe your right. I was just being pedantic but I can see how my view could be seen as insular and damaging. My bad.

It's you're.

That's being pedantic.

Your derisive post was not. It was telling about your character.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I get it, I am sure there are a certain amount of white "do gooders" or social justice tourists.

There are probably also some who don't understand but really do want to. The problem is in the assumption. We would all agree assuming anyone at the protest is a looter is counter productive, and while not rooted in the same racist stereotypes, assuming all white people are just giving empty gestures is counter productive as well.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Found video from this:

http://youtu.be/IBOnbWw7H-o

apparently someone was brandishing a knife too
sssbVZA.jpg

*edit*
Found another angle from the first half of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ZVq2Fim8Q

Being very serious here, and I've said this before in another thread....MARCH TO THE FUCKING CITY HALL AND CAMP THERE.

Seriously...go to your local government and start camping out. You want to make statements, do it by going straight to the source that make the laws.

This violence on random public areas isn't going to push the agenda forward. It's no different than the LA riots of Rodney King.

Tenebrous

I remember getting banned for a handful of stupid comments (that I do regret making) in a thread about a murdered black kid in the USA a few months back. They were born of ignorance and the need to be needlessly contentious. After doing some more research into American police brutality, I can only come to one, reasonable conclusion.

America is fucked up, man. Seriously. There's nothing I envy about life in the USA as an outsider looking in.

BBboy20

Being very serious here, and I've said this before in another thread....MARCH TO THE FUCKING CITY HALL AND CAMP THERE.

Seriously...go to your local government and start camping out. You want to make statements, do it by going straight to the source that make the laws.

This violence on random public areas isn't going to push the agenda forward. It's no different than the LA riots of Rodney King.
That's assuming cops aren't blocking routes to them.

Sanjuro

Found video from this:

sssbVZA.jpg

*edit*

Fucking disgusting.

Camden Yards is pretty much like a second home when it comes to going to ballgames. I can't even imagine the people coming out of the ballparks and restaurants getting caught in between these psychopaths. There really isn't much space in between anything around that area, you are kind of forced to walk by it all to get to anything.

EDIT: They are throwing fucking barrels/objects at people in wheelchairs.

BPoole

I'm from Baltimore. Seriously, my Facebook feed is lighting up like a Christmas tree right now about this.

Mine too. People are fucking pissed about the violence and riots. The message behind the riots is going to be completely lost in the general public's eye.

Mine too. People are fucking pissed about the violence and riots. The message behind the riots is going to be completely lost in the general public's eye.

The message the original protest had is already gone. The violent ones are over shadowing every thing and now the police will have to be extra cautious which will lead to more damage.

Sanjuro

Yeah. Once largely populated televised baseball broadcast told people to stay in that stadium for safety purposes, whatever message you had in mind was loooong gone.

PopeReal

As long as the American public remains unmoved by police continuing to target and kill at will this is how things will go. People will continue to die at the hands of the police, and the public will be shocked and appauled when protests turn violent.

They won't do anything about police murdering their fellow citizens mind you, they will just continue to lecture protesters to behave.

x-Lundz-x

Then maybe "protesters" shouldn't be knifing innocent people or throwing a barrage of garbage cans on people in wheelchairs? Just a thought for future peaceful protests.

Needlecrash

I called my folks who live there to see if there are okay. They're good.

Personally, if you're going to protest, then protest. But don't attack innocent people, destroying property, impede people from their destination, looting and etc.

I have my own opinions about this but I rather not deal with the possibility of arguing back and forth with people; so I'll just keep it to myself.

BPoole

Then maybe "protesters" shouldn't be knifing innocent people or throwing a barrage of garbage cans on people in wheelchairs? Just a thought for future peaceful protests.

I agree, the "peaceful protests" were over days ago. But it did not start off violent, and whatever progress could have been made at the start, has now made the tension between blacks, police, and even the general public even higher.

Merc_

As long as the American public remains unmoved by police continuing to target and kill at will this is how things will go. People will continue to die at the hands of the police, and the public will be shocked and appauled when protests turn violent.

They won't do anything about police murdering their fellow citizens mind you, they will just continue to lecture protesters to behave.

Yep. This game will continue pretty much forever until shit really hits the fan one day.

Slayven

As long as police keep killing black people, it will seem at worse an inconvenience. God forbid people protest the state sponsored murdering of a people, especially when Dragonforce is in town.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Found video from this:

sssbVZA.jpg

*edit*

Insane to see shit like this going down right next to Camden Yards. Used to think between there and the Harbor was like the safest place to be.

Hoping that after the violence subsides that protests remain with some force. This conversation needs to continue until we actually get somewhere.

Sanjuro

As long as police keep killing black people, it will seem at worse an inconvenience. God forbid people protest the state sponsored murdering of a people, especially when Dragonforce is in town.

I wouldn't want to be buying a hot dog and get a knife to the abdomen, so people can fail at proving a point.

Sanjuro

Yep.

"The message is lost"

Yeah, only because you want it to be lost. Obviously people who say this have dehumanized a certain group of people so much that they do not believe that immense oppression does not warrant violent backlash.

Nah. Because it is lost.

They literally went to the most tourist populated area, attacking with knifes, and attacked the handicap.

Your "message" immediately makes no fucking sense.

RyanDG

Yep.

"The message is lost"

Yeah, only because you want it to be lost. Obviously people who say this have dehumanized a certain group of people so much that they do not believe that immense oppression does not warrant violent backlash.

If the violence isn't being directed at the source of the oppression, the message is definitely lost.

x-Lundz-x

Yep.

"The message is lost"

I'm just curious where you draw the line, because it's obvious it's not hurting other innocent people. Perhaps if they started gang raping people? Or do they have to step up to full blown murder as well. Might as well take an eye for an eye approach right? I'm pretty sure all white people attending baseball games are racist and want all blacks dead so they probably deserve what they got coming to them right?

Infinite

Nah. Because it is lost.

They literally went to the most tourist populated area, attacking with knifes, and attacked the handicap.

Your "message" immediately makes no fucking sense.

Who's "they"? Your issue here is you're taking this amorphous movement that currently doesn't have any leaders and judging it by the actions of a few. Essentially you're saying no one derserves to be heard because a few folks broke some windows and brandished knives. You're saying that the police should continue to murder unarmed poc with impunity because some rioted as a consequence of it and we can't have that.

Sanjuro

This shit is infuriating and depressing.

All I see is a "Black Lives Matter' guy, brandishing a knife, trying to kill a white person, while another black person is being supported by a white person to not rush out and kill that particular black person.

Baltimore.

Who's "they"? Your issue here is you're taking this amorphous movement that currently doesn't have any leaders and judging it by the actions of a few. Essentially you're saying no one derserves to be heard because because a few broke some windows and brandished knives. You're saying that the police should continue to murder unarmed poc with impunity because some of them may riot and we can't have that.

Nope. Not saying that.

Brandished knives? Attempted murder sounds better. But, this is your narrative now...

nib95

Banned
If the violence isn't being directed at the source of the oppression, the message is definitely lost.

Not necessarily. That's what sometimes happens when people get oppressed, frustrated, angry and disenfranchised enough. That anger manifests in to hatred and rage, that can sometimes consume one's morality and lead to such conduct. It's always important to look at the deeper root causes for such behaviour, or what may be fuelling it.

If this institutionalised racism, police state esque brutality, abuse of powers and lack of accountability keeps up, shit is only going to get more messy, and more violent. The reality is reform just isn't happening, and things just aren't changing. Not nearly quick enough anyway. If anything it's getting worse, despite the new spotlighting on it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom