• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TikTok is depressing.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just start liking all the thirst traps. Before you know it it'll just be bouncing boobs. You won't be able to look at it in public but at least all of the purple haired doomers with be off your feed.

JCK75

I made this meme the other day because my girlfriend keeps sending me Tik-Tok videos and she doesn't understand why I don't find them funny... It's always just some idiot woman lip syncing to an actually funny comedy routine.. like yes the comedy routine is hilarious. Why are you not sending me a clip of the comedian who was actually speaking?

ctZ4erE.jpg

Danknugz

i feel that what you see in tiktok is kind of the end result of 20 years of marketing/greed/corporate manipulation and exploitation of rudimentary psychology of the young and uneducated

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I made this meme the other day because my girlfriend keeps sending me Tik-Tok videos and she doesn't understand why I don't find them funny... It's always just some idiot woman lip syncing to an actually funny comedy routine.. like yes the comedy routine is hilarious. Why are you not sending me a clip of the comedian who was actually speaking?

ctZ4erE.jpg
That's actually a thing?! Bloody hell.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As a grown person who has been through all the transitions of internet based technology stemming from at least 30 years, I can tell you that you only need so many damn ass when it comes to video watching and all of that. I'm guilty like today and I watch YouTube a lot. But as far as other stuff social media wise, I don't see the reason to have a tick tock. Take talk talk take talk tick tock I don't know the voice recognition did that.

Jsisto

In theory, it should be no different than any other platform. However I think it’s unique in that it’s almost exclusively used by gen Z and the youngest millennials. This is the first generation to grow up with the internet and during the massive decline of western cultural standards and of the mainstream media. Before this, there was at least the implication that there were certain institutions we could trust and certain standards of behavior that were expected to be followed. As all that unravels, we’re just inundated with more information than we could ever process, most of it useless and not in our best interest, and TikTok just happens to have been released at what I believe is the peak of this.

JCK75

That's actually a thing?! Bloody hell.

Almost everything I've ever seen on the platform has been either women lip syncing to movie scenes, TV scenes, comedy routines or leftist activists superimposing themselves really badly over videos pointing upward like they could not have just shared the video without inserting themselves onto it.

AZLil7

Banned
I get what you're saying, and yeah, those fear-mongering videos can mess with your head, especially when you're not in the best place mentally. But honestly, I don’t find TikTok depressing. I think it depends a lot on how you use it. For me, I saw an opportunity to make money from the app by creating fun and helpful content.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I have never had the ticky toks........I think most of social media is designed to depress you. That is how they keep you hooked.

Ownage

For a lot of reasons, but what I'm talking about in particular is when I get videos about when "something bad is going to happen".

Why do people make these? WW3 is starting! The global economy is about to collapse! Water availability is about to nosedive! YOU ARE IN TROUBLE!

I guess they make them for views, but I hate that shit. Legit sometimes puts me in a bad mood for hours if I'm already not feeling particularly well mentally or if I get a lot of these.

I never engage or upvote, and yet every once in a while, they'll pop up.

And they're always some random-ass person in their bathroom or some shit. I'm supposed to trust that they magically have special inside information?

Even knowing they're full of shit, I can't help but feel much more negative about the future for a short time. I wouldn't even watch them but most of the time they just spring it on you.

I know what you're going to say. Just stop watching TikTok. It's trash. It's a waste of time. And I agree and I think I will stop using this app.
Most of social media is toxic and burnout is real. Take a break from all of it and don't participate in anything. You'll feel better - I and many other people certainly do.

Sonik

TikTok is a CCP PsyOp, a weapon of mass destruction disguised as an app.

Then explain the rest of social media that are also degenerate as fuck. The truth is that most of social media are full of 80-90 IQ imbeciles, when the internet was at its beginnings I naively thought that it'll wake people up but the problem is that when you feed idiots a lot of information the only thing you're gonna get back is idiots with a lot of stupid opinions.

"Half-knowledge is worse than ignorance", that quote fits perfectly to what is happening to society right now, you have dumb bimbos for example that used to hate politics offering their political opinions now on the internet, it was just better before the "information age", simple as that

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Most videos I watch are informative and funny. I follow people who teach things or showcase something with their talents. There's this one woman who dreamed of becoming a puppeteer... And she finally became one recently on Sesame Street. Another one did regular videos of her doing songs in American Sign Language... Now she's got deals with major companies and she interpreted the Superbowl half-time show last year.

You have to follow the types of creators that make you feel good and not these doomsday creators. ESPECIALLY not politics. This is basic global social media 101 (FB is much easier to curate).

I will never use TikTok. I actually have an attention span and I much prefer long form content. Drives me nuts hearing random peoples phones flipping through video after video at work.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
All I’ve ever seen are Only Fans girls and pedos getting busted. Plus a few of those “the last moment they ever saw their child alive”. You can chat with people, but they just want your money.

A lot of it is just junk food and you’re left unfulfilled because you gained nothing. You give your time and attention to people, so unless you’re actively making content you’re not going to gain much.

I get what you're saying, and yeah, those fear-mongering videos can mess with your head, especially when you're not in the best place mentally. But honestly, I don’t find TikTok depressing. I think it depends a lot on how you use it. For me, I saw an opportunity to make money from the app by creating fun and helpful content.
How does a bot account from 2014 not post a single message until 2024? Who kept you on their radar long enough to say, "Oh, it's been 10 years. Time to awaken and shill on NeoGAF."

Even though this thread was bumped, I'm just going to give this advice to people here past and present who brows social media: Fix your algorithm. Make a new account if needed.

If you are doomscrolling, the algorithm will just feed you much more doom and gloom to scroll through.

SiahWester

They're hijacking our negativity bias that humans have as a mechanism for survival. Tiktok algorithms are pretty responsive though. The moment you recognize this and skip videos trying to manipulate you the sooner you can have it start showing cute cat videos instead.

Last edited:
The fuck is the point of this app? To reduce our attention span to the size of a nano byte?

Pull the plug on it, immediately.

China has no problem with "pulling the plug" on western apps (i.e. Youtube) in their country so give them a taste of their own medicine. Fucking simple.

Last edited:

Renoir

you need to set your algo on big tits, and cooking cats.

Social media should be for entertainment purposes. No one want to go through the paces and verify any information that's spewed on there.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Don't use it or want too

I'm in my 40s, Snapchat and tiktok at my age is only for Predators
social media is 99% depressing. outlier comparisons, clickbait articles we never cared to know about, etc
The fuck is the point of this app? To reduce our attention span to the size of a nano byte?

Pull the plug on it, immediately.

China has no problem with "pulling the plug" on western apps (i.e. Youtube) in their country so give them a taste of their own medicine. Fucking simple.

If you already prejudge something based on anecdotal evidence or the "best of TikTok" thread and think it's all bad... That's what you will only find.

I LOOK for martial arts, comedians, cooking, pets and physics and I enjoy myself because I CURATED that and that's all I see! I follow specific people and only them. I stopped around 50+ and don't go to the FYP ... I just go to "Following" page and scroll through who I follow. If they say something or do something I don't agree with, I unfollow. Simple as that.

Y'all are so negative. As with anything, it's what you make of it.

Codes 208

My algorithm is a mix of cat videos, gaming memes and animated parodies, exactly what i want.

If its nothing but negative shit for you, you need to stop doom scrolling and change what youre looking for to fix the algorithm.

Last edited:

tamago84

thats the thing. the last time i browsed something like social media was years ago. fuck social media.

i prefer to spend time with family and health. social media contributes to neither of these. never had never will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom