• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's not like people are demanding ethnically diverse casting in biopics, period pieces, docudramas etc where it might not be appropriate. What angers people is when studios assemble a ensemble cast for their big-budget pop-movie and it's full of white people in all but the most trivial roles.

But it shouldn't be getting a pass.

I agree that the double standard shouldn't be okay, but according to Hollywood it is. That's the world we live in, so when people say that it's only natural to exclude roles of color from a film because it takes place in certain times and places, regardless of how fantastical the story or characters are, it doesn't fly with me.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't think you can "shoehorn" diversity and I definitely don't think you can do so with a film about magic children. lol didn't we have a film called Brooklyn that was set in Brooklyn and there wasn't any black and Latinos in it?

Or white as fuck new york as seen in Friends and Sienfeld, hah.

No I have never seen it.

Dang, it's a bit hard for to explain the genre without the reference.

Skilletor

Magical shit and werewolves...I can allow this.

Black kids in wales while there is magical shit and monsters...MAH HISTORICAL ACCURACY!

Does this deal with the political climate of the time that would have to address why there is a minority in the story?

No?

Then that argument isn't relevant.

It's not an altogether satisfying answer, but I think even historical accuracy is at least something that's kind of understandable. Not that it wouldn't merit criticism of its own, but it's leagues better than this bizarre counterpoint about how he as a white person didn't complain about the lack of white people in blaxpoitation films of all things.

There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring a female cast.
There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring only black people.
There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring only Asians.

So what. Truth is not every movie needs a diverse cast. My story could involve black people only. Why should i force a white person or something in there if i don't want to? It's my frigging story. Get your own.

You say that, but apparently you can't even make a biopic about Bruce Lee without making the main character a white guy for the audience.

What exactly is a blacksploitation movie? Not like early 90s Martin Lawrence stuff? That stuff was great.

https://youtu.be/_6eMscT5DAc
Long video but maybe watching a few clips of it will jog your memory, if you've seen any such movies before. I think 90s would have been a bit too late, it was mostly movies made for black people in the 70s, usually based around crime and urban settings. Shaft is a good example.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As usual, what I think here is: it's his movie, he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it.

If he wants to make everyone blue, or pink, or white or black or grey with strawberry patterns all over, let him.
You're right, and we should also outlaw all reviews and general commentary about film, as we don't want people trying to impose their will upon creative visionaries through criticism.

DedValve

Banned
Honestly, I used to think this and still sort of do. Almost everbody I met agrees with this.
White is not and should not be the default. If a role has nothing to do with ethnicity then why must it be a white role?

THAT is shoehornin for the sake of adding an ethnic role to appease group, not making one of the kids black or Spanish.

PSqueak

Banned
Skip it and watch Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

That movie even addressed whitewashing when Lee gets turned down in favor of David Carradine for the lead in the Kung Fu TV series.

First thing that came to my mind, why do we need another Bruce Lee movie when Dragon exists?

But then again, hollywood made like 3 steve jobs movies, two of them within months of each other.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Fuck you, Tim.

What a shitty answer.

Why can't they just say, "We don't have black people in this movie because we don't want to have black people in this movie?" Instead of this song and dance, hemming and hawing about it? Trying to justify why you're not casting minorities always comes off as bullshit.

The thing is, there's hardly ever any reason that justifies excluding minorites or women or what have you. I wouldn't even say it's a creative oversight. We've been conditioned to view "white" as the default when it comes to character creation. I say, "Doctor, Lawyer, Banker, Police Officer, Teacher, Priest, President," the image the vast majority of people will see is a white man. I say, "Criminal, Thug, Gangster, Janitor, Con-man, Buffoon, Terrorist" and most people will envision a person of color (black, Mexican, Persian, etc, etc). And most of us in America are guilty of this. I've mentioned it a ton before, but I'm a black man, and an artist and a writer, yet when I used to sit down and conceive of characters to put in my comics and stories, they were overwhelmingly white, with the supporting characters, comic relief, and love interests being people of color.

Once I became aware of my bias, I worked to correct it. Now, I no longer default to white male protagonist (although I still have plenty of those in my stories/comics). I cast a broader net when it comes to "casting" my characters. And it's a lot more fun. I love coming up with a character and saying, "Hey, I think I'll make him Pakistani," or, "I think she'll be Thai, or Black, or Arab," and then it becomes a game of working out their back stories. Where are they from, born in the US or elsewhere? How will that upbringing inform their character? A lot of the times, whole plot lines and character motivations arise because their background isn't just some kind of template.

I'm not saying white male heroes are boring or bland, but when 90% of the entertainment revolves around them and their upbringings, I admit it gets a little old. And besides, from an artists perspective, I have a lot of fun drawing different features from different ethnic backgrounds. I have a folder full of reference of all sorts of people of different body types, and facial features. For me, I feel like it helps makes things feel more textured and real. When there are a lot of different people that make up your world, it feels more believable.

All I get from Hollywood is, "Well, our fantasy is that minorities don't exist unless they're hot "exotic" minority women our white hero can rescue and bang." This notion that being diverse is somehow bad is mind-boggling. You're whining that the people that consume your entertainment would love to be included in the making of said entertainment? Fuck off. Minorities and women are purchasing your products and getting entertainment out of it, but they also aren't too pleased with how they're represented in that product, especially when they are represented so little. It really shouldn't be that hard to grasp the issue.

Tim Burton is an idiot, and probably a racist. But hey, calling a racist a racist is somehow worse than being racist, according to some folks...

besada

Banned
To the people saying it's his movie, he can do what he wants: you're wrong. It's not his movie. It's the company and investors movie, edited and altered in a thousand ways for a thousand reasons, many of which have less to do with art than commerce.

In other words, like all movies, it's a collaborative product created by a collaborative team, ranging from the original writer, all the way down to color correction on the last edit.

More importantly, as a commercial product, it has to survive in the current cultural climate. The people that greenlit it, the producers, the screenwriters, and Burton are ALL responsible for the choices made.

Acorn

I'm not surprised an emo goth vampire wants to see mainly white people in his films.

This brings an interesting dumb question to mind.
Are Vampires racist if they don't take non white peoples blood?

thinky.w560.h375.jpg
Hope I'm using this emoji right kids

To the people saying it's his movie, he can do what he wants: you're wrong. It's not his movie. It's the company and investors movie, edited and altered in a thousand ways for a thousand reasons, many of which have less to do with art than commerce.

In other words, like all movies, it's a collaborative product created by a collaborative team, ranging from the original writer, all the way down to color correction on the last edit.

More importantly, as a commercial product, it has to survive in the current cultural climate. The people that greenlit it, the producers, the screenwriters, and Burton are ALL responsible for the choices made.

Well that and the fact that it's not like he came up with the story and characters himself either. From some of those "it's his film" posts, it seems to me that people are saying they're his characters he created when they're not.

GamerJM

Banned
I honestly think there are not-terrible ways to explain having a mostly white cast, but that certainly wasn't one of them, wow, what a terrible response.

PSqueak

Banned

True, but people are criticizing Burton for his quote, not for the lack of POCs in the movie, what you just said is something we all take for granted, we don't need to have it explained, but this is being discused because burton opened his mouth and said something stupid, so now in top of hollywood's collective bias against POC actors, we know that Burton, even if he had the power, wouldn't have gotten more POC actors.

At least the Exodus: Gods and Kings guy did reference the fact that he'd have never gotten the movie greenlit if he had chosen POC actors(not that we believe he'd have), burton just doubled down on not choosing them.

q_q

He thinks the criticism people would have with blaxploitation movies is that there weren't white people in them.

I seriously just cannot comprehend that response.

I'm with you. He seems to think blaxploitation films were legitimate representations of black artistry. And what's worse is he isn't speaking from ignorance on the films' content because he says he grew up watching them. So much wrong with this. But I've always assumed he was an arrogant, out-of-touch douche so I'm not really surprised.

besada

Banned
True, but people are criticizing Burton for his quote, not for the lack of POCs in the movie, what you just said is something we all take for granted, we don't need to have it explained

As I said, I was addressing those who keep going on about directorial vision, so clearly some people do need it explained.

Another question is why Hollywood continues to greenlight movies based on primarily-white source material. Miss Peregrine was a bestseller in 2011, and it is part of a series, so for a studio looking for a YA blockbuster franchise it probably looked promising. I get that.

But whether Miss Peregrine is a fantastic story or not, there's plenty of stories out there which feature more diverse casts. If people are going to argue for 'accuracy' in their source material, then studios should change the source material they're making films from.

As besada said, the director is just one piece of the studio system, and this bias (towards race and towards gender) runs through it from top to bottom. Are mostly-white stories like Peregrine being chosen with unconscious bias by the studios? Or was it chosen cynically because it's a good, bestselling story that might have legs and has an 'uncontroversial' white cast?

Backing up even further, why is it that the (YA) novels that do well seem to feature mostly white characters? What is going on with readers that they're focusing on these stories? Do publishers share in the unconscious or conscious bias when choosing which books to print and which to promote heavily?

Or white as fuck new york as seen in Friends and Sienfeld, hah.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/video-award-season-roundtable-series-directors-part-2

Look at how silent all the White directors get when Steve Mcqueen talks about how astonished he is about the amount of American directors who have never cast a Black person as a lead or how bizarre it is to shoot a movie in a diverse city like New York and not have have one Black or Latino person cast in it. Then goes on to speak about movie reality (fully whitewashed) and real reality.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's not an altogether satisfying answer, but I think even historical accuracy is at least something that's kind of understandable. Not that it wouldn't merit criticism of its own, but it's leagues better than this bizarre counterpoint about how he as a white person didn't complain about the lack of white people in blaxpoitation films of all things.
It's not really historical accuracy so much as it is the case that if you say 'person from wales' you are going to default to someone white, because people from wales are almost entirely white. If you set a movie, even a fantasy movie, in say Kenya you are probably going to default to a mainly black cast unless you are specifically going to explain why the cast is not black and explain how they got there and it's probably going to be a big part of the story you are telling.
I doubt anyone who saw Exodus, and saw Weaver and Tucci as the Egyptian royalty can honestly say that having people of obviously anachronistic ethnicity doesn't take you out of a scene. I mean it just looked ridiculous.

nkarafo

It's a bad response alright.

Then again, forced diversity is also bad. Forcing anything that isn't the creator's original vision isn't right IMO. I hope that's what he meant.

To be fair, most Burton's movies have a very strong and specific aesthetic. Sometimes even the white people in them aren't white enough for him. So he makes them look even more pale, like corpses. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing.

He should have worded a better response than this.

Skilletor

Then again, forced diversity is also bad. Forcing anything that isn't the creator's original vision isn't right IMO. I hope that's what he meant.

To be fair, most Burton's movies have a very strong and specific aesthetic. Sometimes even the white people in them aren't white enough for him. So he makes them look even more pale, like corpses. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing.

Casting a minority in a role where skin color doesn't have anything to do with the character whatsoever isn't forced diversity.

Ridley327

Actually that whole scene does a good job of showing how fraked up white-washing is.

Yeah, you could tell Sonnenfeld and the actors were having a lot of fun with the sheer absurdity of how far the camp was taking their play and how eager Wednesday was to give them a much-needed reality check.

Nepenthe

Hiring actors who happen to be non-white for roles where race isn't specified isn't really forcing anything, no more than laypeople would call it "forcing" that white actors are still way over-represented.

Subsequently, singular creators of mass-market collaborative entertainment works don't fully own their visions and properties. On top of that, vision is a fleeting thing. Whatever is in someone's head at the start of a project is arguably not going to be the thing that's finished, even in a one-person project.

If it's purely the aesthetic he's after, albino African Americans do exist you know. There really is no excuse.

What's an example of forced diversity?

nkarafo

Casting a minority in a role where skin color doesn't have anything to do with the character whatsoever isn't forced diversity.
Yeah you are right. But maybe, in Tim's case, it's not only about the characters, it's also about the visuals and aesthetics. Having seen many of his movies, it does seem that he has a specific visual style and maybe people of color don't fit in that vision of his. And it does seem that those aesthetics take priority over anything else. Isn't the visuals the main thing Tim is known for?

Or maybe i'm just trying to justify his stupid response because i am a fan of his movies. Sorry for that :(

During it last season BB did add a poorly written shoehorned in character. This was him

waste-of-food.jpg

One of the most hated characters in tv history
Lol it was so bad that towards the end Married with Children spoof it with Seven

Tim Burton's next movie will be set in Atlanta next and have upwards of 1 black person. Progress

Nepenthe

Yeah you are right. But maybe, in Tim's case, it's not only about the characters, it's also about the visuals and aesthetics. Having seen many of his movies, it does seem that he has a specific visual style and maybe people of color don't fit in that vision of his. And it does seem that those aesthetics take priority over anything else. Isn't the visuals the main thing Tim is known for?

That would be slightly more convincing if Samuel L. Jackson wasn't in the movie that's in question.

Nepenthe

The only Black person in the movie playing the villain may unfortunately still fit into the Burton's visuals and aesthetics argument.

Oh shit, he's the villain? I thought he was like one of the teachers or something. I didn't think this situation could look any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom