• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Burton on Why 'Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children' is Mostly White

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_O

Terrible answer. But I get what he's trying to say, why do we have to have all races in every movie? Sometimes it seems forced, like the example of the Brady Bunch. I haven't read the book, but maybe this film didn't "need" anything else.

I'm trying to put my finger on the crux of this.

I think his answer means he thinks it's OK for him as a white film maker, to imagine and create a film (inspired by source material) which at it's heart is a white thing about white people. Because he's white and so that's where his stuff comes from and goes to.

And I think the reason his answer inspires anger is because there is an expectation that people's identities shouldn't be so streamlined any more. We should be having friends and family of different ethnicities, a more diverse experience of life, and therefore automatically a more diverse creative imagination. The suggestion that he's happy with a limited worldview like that is insulting to many.

There's also the issue of cultural history, and cultural present, where the dominant white culture now has a responsibility to recognise and redress it's automatic biases. And his apparent total disregard for that background, lack of interest or education on that subject, is also infuriating.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Zaph

Terrible answer. But I get what he's trying to say, why do we have to have all races in every movie? Sometimes it seems forced, like the example of the Brady Bunch. I haven't read the book, but maybe this film didn't "need" anything else.

You say "need" like poc's are some different style of actor and the default is white. Nobody is asking for films to have a checklist of people from all corners of the world.

The only thing that feels forced right now is the directors and producer's lame excuses for having all-white casts when we all know what the real answer is.

mario_O

You say "need" like poc's are some different style of actor and the default is white. Nobody is asking for films to have a checklist of people from all corners of the world.

The only thing that feels forced right now is the directors and producer's lame excuses for having all-white casts when we all know what the real answer is.

Nope, that's on you. I think you're seeing ghosts where there aren't any. There isn't a default actor, there's a story to tell that needs actors to tell it, that's all. Nobody would be surprised if you only see white actors on a film set in Victorian London. But, again, I haven't read the book and I don't know if Burton is being dishonest with the book.

Aranath

That answer... holy shit. I haven't been particularly interested in his work in some time and this just puts me off even more.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There isn't a default actor, there's a story to tell that needs actors to tell it, that's all.

Do you honestly believe that 'white' is not the default setting when Hollywood studios are casting actors?

mario_O

Do you honestly believe that 'white' is not the default setting when Hollywood studios are casting actors?

I was answering to the poster who said I thought white actors are default. It's not my personal opinion. They shouldn't be.

Hyams

Awful answer, but I don't know where this idea that the book is diverse has come from. The book has pictures of most of the peculiar children and they're all white.

It feels like he's trying to get towards multiple reasons for why, but failing 40% of the way with each argument.

What is he actually saying? That he doesn't want to have to add non-white people? That people would find it offensive if he did? That the story doesn't need non-white people? That he doesn't care about colour? That the source material doesn't have any non-white people?

Zaph

I was answering to the poster who said I thought white actors are default. It's not my personal opinion. They shouldn't be.

you said:

I haven't read the book, but maybe this film didn't "need" anything else.

How else can this be interpreted other than suggesting white is default?

Should a book have to describe Rasta's and Chinese people before a non-white person is cast? All books-to-films are adaptations. They're all modernisations.

Did the author imagine white people when writing? Sure, maybe. But given the amount of modern films that are based on old works or period settings, if we don't adapt the cast, we'll constantly be making films set in a world that no longer exists.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Thinking of it now, I'm struggling to recall a character who wasn't white in any Tim Burton movie.

Somebody help me out here?

I know this has been repeated by a bunch of different posters in this thread, but it has to be said again.

"a black"???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What the hell was he thinking?

I've got a question about the novel though. Were any of these character's "white-washed" for the film, or were they written without any ethnic features meaning that Burton just defaults to white for his characters?

You goofed up burton. Seems to have the thought of default casting should be white and it's wrong to go against this trend. Time to look at burtons other films to see if he has had this mentality from earlier on.

Hyams

I know this has been repeated by a bunch of different posters in this thread, but it has to be said again.

"a black"???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What the hell was he thinking?

I've got a question about the novel though. Were any of these character's "white-washed" for the film, or were they written without any ethnic features meaning that Burton just defaults to white for his characters?

There are photos of the characters in the book. They're all white.

Doesn't really excuse Burton's shitty answer, though.

Matty77

As much as I hate to beat a dead horse I love the "accurate to Victorian Wales" argument. Because if it's a POC breathing underwater and shooting bubbles or flying and shit it's totally going to kill my suspension of disbelief because of racial demographics of the area and era.

Alienfan

I think you can have genuine reasons for only a white cast or only black cast in some films, but this idea that white is the default is just raciest, he just sounds way out of touch, which given all his recent films have been box office and critic disasters I'm not surprised.

I heard he just had his next project cancelled because of this. It was to be a reimagining of the Burger King Kids Club. Way to go, Internet.

nkarafo

There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring a female cast.
There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring only black people.
There's nothing wrong with a movie featuring only Asians.

And so on.

But a movie featuring only a white cast? Oh no, you can't have that. That's the only thing that is forbidden for some reason.

"Not every film needs to have a diverse cast" says guy who has to my knowledge barely made any movies with diverse casts.
So what. Truth is not every movie needs a diverse cast. My story could involve black people only. Why should i force a white person or something in there if i don't want to? It's my frigging story. Get your own.

Infinite

And so on.

But a movie featuring only a white cast? Oh no, you can't have that. That's the only thing that is forbidden for some reason.

So what. Truth is not every movie needs a diverse cast. My story could involve black people only. Why should i force a white person or something in there if i don't want to? It's my frigging story. Get your own.
I love false equivalencies.

"a black"

Yikes alert

Yeah, what the fuck? Saying it like that is totally unacceptable.

Anyway, this is a bullshit response from a director who I've not been interested in since the late 90s, I think (when was Sleepy Hollow?).

And so on.

Except that he's specifically cast some minorities in the book as white actors.

Pulka

Tim Burton has no obligation to have black people in his movies.

And you folks getting mad at "a black" should read more carefully. He says "an Asian child and a black", he obviously means "a black child".

Matty77

And so on.

Way to knowingly miss the point. Especially when it's not the white cast bothering people but weird answer involving the Brady Bunch, Blazploitation, and the especially telling "a black" full stop.

The biggest argument on the larger scale is why is white (or male, or straight) the auto default?

Maybe people will be less concerned with the justifications behind whitewashing and similar concepts when we can stop having to justify any character that isn't a straight white male beyond niche films.

tkscz

Yeah, what the fuck? Saying it like that is totally unacceptable.

Anyway, this is a bullshit response from a director who I've not been interested in since the late 90s, I think (when was Sleepy Hollow?).

Except that he's specifically cast some minorities in the book as white actors.

Yeah, this is where he fucked up. I don't think many would care if the book were an all white cast, but it wasn't. Not disagreeing with the idea that if you want to have your story have an all specific race, you should be able to, because you should be able to regardless. But this ain't Burton's story.

Kazuhira

Thinking of it now, I'm struggling to recall a character who wasn't white in any Tim Burton movie.

Well,his movies always had a gothic style so every character has to be pale,skinny, dress in black and look like a pretty cadaver.
It's his artistic preference and it's what made him stand out in the first place.

And you folks getting mad at "a black" should read more carefully. He says "an Asian child and a black", he obviously means "a black child".

You lack critical thinking skills. Read what people are saying in this topic.

What?...He clearly stated "a black," everyone knows what he meant by saying that....like we're a goddamn crayon color...

Apt101

I don't even get his answer. Does he consider some films "white" and some "black"? That's how it reads, but it's such an incoherent answer I can't really understand what the fuck he's trying to say.

It's really bizarre how so many directors seem to think casting black, latino, and asian actors will somehow dilute their creation, or alter it at some fundamental level. The financial arguments make no sense given that many of the most memorable characters in film weren't white, and that the foreign market (which values diversity) so often saves bad films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom