• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to eat crow regarding "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pants

I think you're being really defensive over what is ultimately a silly fun thing. The eating of crows here is collective. It's just a fun look at the barometer on the forum about the vibe of a film and how it turned out wrong. You, like many other people, expressed an opinion on the matter. Whether it was a throw away comment or not is irrelevant, it forms part of the tone on the forum along with many other comments like it.

You don't have to take it personally, you should feel included as part of a community that talks shit about everything under the sun and sometimes some people get stuff right and some people get stuff wrong. :p

I think why I'm getting defensive is because I get misrepresented a lot on here and it's probably starting to take it's toll on me, haha. But that aside, yeah this is just a fun thing so sorry for getting a bit defensive about it.

Still not taking any vertical line, stop, 90 degrees, horizontal lines though!

gatti-man

Let's be fair. If everyone calling it a bomb had seen the EXCELLENT marketing and amazing reviews I sincerely doubt they would call it a bomb. Just the marketing alone would have saved this from bomb status.

I never thought it would bomb but holey sheeet at a relatively unknown IP with a racoon pulling in 92 million opening week. I mean seriously. Marvel has big balls and they are executing on a tremendously high level. Stunned shocked amazed and pleased is what I am. Has any studio ever consistently put out this much great content back to back?

Yeah, it will still be big. I just want to see it do more than Man of Steel worldwide. Just for giggles.

It miiiiight be possible? Still, even 500 mil worldwide is going to be considered a pretty big success, isn't it?

I think the closest I got to a prediction was in the "Edgar Wright off Ant-Man" thread, where I said it could pass 200 mil domestic.

Tesseract

Banned
iXyBncSTxjh1v.gif

duckroll

Let's be fair. If everyone calling it a bomb had seen the EXCELLENT marketing and amazing reviews I sincerely doubt they would call it a bomb. Just the marketing alone would have saved this from bomb status.

I never thought it would bomb but holey sheeet at a relatively unknown IP with a racoon pulling in 92 million opening week. I mean seriously. Marvel has big balls and they are executing on a tremendously high level. Stunned shocked amazed and pleased is what I am. Has any studio ever consistently put out this much great content back to back?

There were a bunch of people in the box office threads saying it was going to bomb because the marketing was "awful" and that the trailers are a total turn-off, etc. So I think we have all kinds here. It probably is a bit unfair for the people who called it out early on when it was announced though. :p

Daingurse

I enjoy this thread. The crow is quite nice.

I too didn't believe it would ever be breaking records like this. I enjoy the comic series but thought it would only manage Cap 1 or Thor numbers. Marvel really nailed the marketing with this movie.

Yeah, I thought the 60 million projection would be more apt, regardless of the movie's quality. After thoroughly loving The Guardians in stuff like Annihilation and The Thanos Imperative, I never dreamed they'd have movie, let alone a breakout success.

The movie was fantastic, and it opened the cosmic flood-gate.

Prompto

Banned
Was there a wall of shame for Maleficent?
Someone should make one. Also one for everyone who said Days of Future Past would be a trainwreck and one for the people who said Winter Soldier would be a piece of shit cause the Russo Brothers were directing it.

Ties

Banned
lmao @ all the people thinking it would flop because of a dumb talking raccoon

as if superhero movies arent all inherently dumb as fuck
lol @ this post

JesusGhandiLord has never participated in a movie that is "inherently dumb as fuck." You tried though. The award-winning™ Nolan trilogy is the peak of high art™ cinema.

tumblr_meyal9wqz11rtlbui.gif

iVCXfyeHn5APY.gif

Verendus

Banned
Was there a wall of shame for Maleficent?
This is the real big one. GOTG isn't a surprise to me. I've been guessing $500+ million for a good while now, with $400+ million being the minimum. It also has a lot of space with the only real competition being TMNT which is unproven too. Most comic book movies are pretty much doing well now and GOTG has been plastered with from the makers of Avengers, Iron Man etc. Kind of how they used to Nolan's name to stop Man of Steel from being a flop.

But Maleficent is crazy. It's done over $700 million. No one could have anticipated that. Even if it was going to be successful, no one could have expected that big of a number. It's ridiculous. It's grossed more than The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Winter Soldier, and it might even surpass Days of Future Past.

G-Fex

lol @ this post

JesusGhandiLord has never participated in a movie that is "inherently dumb as fuck." You tried though. The award-winning™ Nolan trilogy is the peak of high art™ cinema.

tumblr_meyal9wqz11rtlbui.gif

iVCXfyeHn5APY.gif

pump the brakes there Tiedied.

He was in GI Joe.

agrajag

Banned
lmao @ all the people thinking it would flop because of a dumb talking raccoon

as if superhero movies arent all inherently dumb as fuck

This. "Bro, I can't picture a man in a flying robot mech suit and the Norse god of thunder and lightning sitting next to a talking raccoon in a floation air fortress thing!"

Why does it looking like a TV show have anything to do with it sucking or not? People have said it doesn't have great cinematography. For fucks sake its evident in the trailer.

Why do you refuse to believe it?

Cinematography was just fine but news flash, opinions are not facts.

Losing Wright is a major downer, and I'm sure it takes something special away from the movie, but if anyone can make it work in the end, it's Marvel. It might not be the movie it could have been, and yes it's a movie about a guy who basically wears a power ranger suit and talks to ants while riding them, but coming off Avengers 2, it'll probably do pretty well. It has Michael Douglas after all.

As for first critical flop... I dunno, are we pretending Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 didn't happen? Those aren't what I would call critical hits.
And honestly the new director (Peyton something?) seems to really know his stuff as far as the Avengers and Ant Man go. He's a serious fan of the character. I know we all miss Wright (I certainly do) but I'm confident they'll make it work.

Hagi

Bad cinematography is bad cinematography.

okay cinematography is okay cinematography.

good cinematography is good cinematography.

What does TV fall under? I'd like to know so i can tell my internet peeps how i feel about True Detective from an artistic perspective

It miiiiight be possible? Still, even 500 mil worldwide is going to be considered a pretty big success, isn't it?

I think the closest I got to a prediction was in the "Edgar Wright off Ant-Man" thread, where I said it could pass 200 mil domestic.
$500m would put it above Thor and Cap's opening movies. So that would be very good.

But I am with you in thinking of this more as a sci fi spectacle instead of super hero movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom