• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

I love the campaign and how varied it's gameplay is; each level honestly feels like something different. It reminds me of HL2 with it's pacing. The color palette is great too. It's probably the most engaging single player FPS I've played in a long while.

But good god am I disappointed with the MP mode. Granted, I never played the original. But if this is what it was like, I don't feel like I missed much. I'm gonna give it another day or two, see where it takes me, but ifthe last two days are any indication. I'm going back to Overwatch.

I've only gotten to play a couple of hours but I am in the same boat completely.

Single player is easily the best single player FPS I've played in quite some time. The multiplayer... not really enjoying it. Kinda weird since I loved the Modern Warfare games and I'm liking the campaign a lot so far. I played a couple of games tonight and just didn't enjoy myself.

SwolBro

Banned
Pilot vs Pilot needs to be removed from Mix tape.

Ain't nobody got time for that mode.

100% agreed. It's the main reason why I never touch that mode.

PvP players ain't playing Mixtape anyway.

PvP is not bad. You guys are probably playing it wrong. Yes, map hack sucks but it sucks in all modes.

I've actually had a lot of fun in this mode. It's actually playable unlike how it was in Titanfall 1.

Legion is goddamn ridiculous. Way too god at defense for the amount of firepower it has. Its shields can eat an entire rocket salvo core from a Tone. And then it has an hour long clip to melt you with.

It's the only titan that seems blatantly OP to me so far. It's not entirely its fault, the maps help it a ton. I should add I mostly play LTS.
You just can't be caught in the open against one. Avoid it at all costs head on.

The smart core needs some type of reduction.

Does anyone think the Hemlok needs a nerf? That gun drops you in one burst.

It should be harder to aim. This and the g2a are too easy to use right now for how strong they are.

Izuna

Banned
PvP is not bad. You guys are probably playing it wrong. Yes, map hack sucks but it sucks in all modes.

I've actually had a lot of fun in this mode. It's actually playable unlike how it was in Titanfall 1.

I'm not playing PvP wrong because I don't play that garbage. This is Titanfall.

----------

Bug Report:
In FFA if you kill a Pilot who is Rodeoing someone else, the 6-4 announcer congratulates you for saving "a fellow 6-4".

Also RIP to the Ronin who tried to deal with my Legion. He did get in you know, so I used Electric Smoke and Smart Cored his ass...

Here's a tip though, Legion can't escape a Nuclear Eject if he has his shield up.

Izuna

Banned
It's a shame that FFA is so fucking dead. I'm having the mode fun in it.

I wish Skirmish was its own mode. I'd play that to death I guess.

Minions aren't working in this game so there's no point in them anymore.

Mechazawa

mastiff1vey7g.png

OH YEAH, IT'S OVER SON.

mastiff2ecyri.png

RIP IN PEPPERONI.

mastiff3cobin.png

cSo04py.gif

What's so broken about Tone? Her shield is weak and her Salvo Core doesn't work at all in certain maps.
Every single one of her shots hurts. Coming from Ion, which I still dig, I've found it easier to turn the tide with Tone. But I am a more positional, medium range player.

I don't think she's broken at all, just well balanced in a way that other titans aren't. If anything I'd buff Ion's primary or give it a lingering splash effect - even spectres and players can take way too many hits and still hightail it away.

What's so broken about Tone? Her shield is weak and her Salvo Core doesn't work at all in certain maps.

• Particle wall tanks tons of damage and allows her to open fire or retreat while being completely safe from damage
  • The 40mm cannon is an extremely powerful primary weapon with a healthy magazine size and nasty crit potential
  • Her ordnance has no cooldown, and it's extremely easy to get a lock on Titans
  • Her Core Ability smites on any Titan in the game with virtually zero effort involved
And that's before considering her perks that increase the health and duration of the particle wall, or let her build two locks off of a crit. Tone is a virtually flawless Titan with very few genuine weaknesses, whereas the weaknesses for other Titans are numerous (Ion's battery is restrictive and she has one ranged tool, Scorch struggles in open engagements, Ronin is frail and deals low damage for how easy he is to target, Northstar is completely shut down at close range). The only Titan who I've found can consistently, reliably challenge Tone is Legion, who is problematic as well thanks to the insane critical multiplier on his minigun.

She's the best midrange Titan, can contest Northstar at a distance (especially with particle wall, which Northstar should have, not Tone), and can easily earn locks in close range to make use of her ordnance. And when he Salvo Core is ready, she gets to decide which Titan on the battlefield dies. There's not really a "certain map" for where Salvo Core struggles; considering virtually every map is open enough for it to be useful (sans Complex, which is garbage anyway), it's never going to be a problem.

Particle wall tanks tons of damage and allows her to open fire or retreat while being completely safe from damage
Not so sure about "tons". I've often seen my particle wall go up and disappear in a flat second, even against pilot anti-titan weaponry.

Just happened in my last match for the night.

Not so sure about "tons". I've often seen my particle wall go up and disappear in a flat second, even against pilot anti-titan weaponry.

Just happened in my last match for the night.

Depends on what perk you choose, really. But even then, if it's going down after two or three seconds of fire, that's quite a bit of potential damage the enemy could've been dealing to you that they wasted taking down the wall quickly while you were shooting at them. And while they were shooting the wall, you were shooting them, and now they're down health and reloading while you're totally fine.

The only real way to win an engagement when the wall goes up is to break off the fight, and that's a tool that is far too powerful for a Titan that's already so well-rounded.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
She only hits hard with crits. You have Titans like Ion with their hitscan Goosers. Tone is fine.

Ion's hitscan is tied to an ability based on energy and at max can do it twice without waiting, and that means Ion isn't using any other ability during this. Tone is the best pilot killer in the game outside of Smart Core Legion, has a shield with versatility either to help a friendly in a bad spot, cover someone/yourself getting a battery, or just plopping it in a fight naturally for cover. Wallhacking, shown by Maphack and Pulse Blade, is ridiculously strong in any game, let alone the titan that gets a benefit tracking for missiles on top of exposing all pilots who will die if they peek.

Tone is unquestionably the best titan in the game to me looking at them all, and it isn't even close. Gets even stupider when half the team is playing her(which is basically every game now) since the shields are put all over the place, there's hack pings everywhere and there are just missiles flying everywhere.

Izuna

Banned
Imo, because Legion is her counter pick, Tone is kinda...

I also think Ronin smacks her down also. And Ion can go toe to toe with her.

I'd pick her if Legion wasn't so stupid, but her close range stuff is pretty bad

Menitta

I just had a match where I literally punched Ronin off a cliff with Scorch. Also I wiped the entire other team with the smart pistol. Yeah, game of the generation.

In addition, if you use Scorch and don't use the flame shield up close, what are you doing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not sure why people are hating on map hack and sonar... it's fine if you ask me.

I use cloak and grapple pretty much exclusively with amped weapons too...so I'm not a bias offender :)

Imo, because Legion is her counter pick, Tone is kinda...

I also think Ronin smacks her down also. And Ion can go toe to toe with her.

I'd pick her if Legion wasn't so stupid, but her close range stuff is pretty bad

They're both problematic, and in order for the meta to shift towards all six Titans being viable, those two need to be nerfed pretty hard. Tone's whole kit needs to be toned down (heh) a notch, but Legion's is a bit simpler: reduce the crit multiplier on his minigun, and make the dropoff on his long-range mode more significant. Making it so the Smart Core has a cutoff point for its lock-ons would also make it a lot fairer; it's absurdly good right now.

Tone has more mobility and a more instantly lethal core ability. Her defense is more reliable and her ordnance is incredible.

Legion has a ton of health and a fairly decent means of damage mitigation while hit crits the crap out of a Titan's armor, and his core ability effortlessly clears through entire teams with the swipe of a mouse.

Not sure why people are hating on map hack and sonar... it's fine if you ask me.

May the thread have mercy on you.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
May the thread have mercy on you.

Haha... I know right, I've gone and grappled my way into a barrage of hurt missles :D

In Tone news, I also don't think she is OP at all, doesn't need a buff though IMO, that seems crazy to me. Ronin could do with a slight armor buff too I reckon, or a Sword buff.

It kills in one burst? I haven't used it much in TF2, but that doesn't sound right unless they're all headshots.

It does kill in one burst at close range, two bursts past mid range. If you hit one headshot then it is a two shot kill. It is also the fastest firing rifle among the bunch at a ridiculous 930RPM.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So PC Titanfall 2 players

the players with 'BRO' in their name are totally hacking, right? Because I have run into several of them with nonstop lockon aim that never falls off no matter if you're over them, beside them, speed boosting or anything. I've watched several killcams when I get matched with them in Attrition and they look VERY suspect.

Papercuts

If I would buff Ronin I would just make his reload speed faster, or atleast have a kit for it. I like playing him but when I go in and have to reload it just sucks. You can do it into a phase shift but it still takes longer, and you can't reload while blocking which means a block retreat to reload takes awhile. Feels bad when the squishy dudes defense option doesn't help him multitask when Legion/Tone shield does.

They're both problematic, and in order for the meta to shift towards all six Titans being viable, those two need to be nerfed pretty hard. Tone's whole kit needs to be toned down (heh) a notch, but Legion's is a bit simpler: reduce the crit multiplier on his minigun, and make the dropoff on his long-range mode more significant. Making it so the Smart Core has a cutoff point for its lock-ons would also make it a lot fairer; it's absurdly good right now.

Significantly reducing his long range mode would defeat the purpose. Both it and the power shot already drop off a bit
Smart core lock on has a max distance

The issue isn't Legion, its the maps.

Significantly reducing his long range mode would defeat the purpose. Both it and the power shot already drop off a bit
Smart core lock on has a max distance

The issue isn't Legion, its the maps.

You can't change the maps, so Legion has to change instead. He should have a long range mode, but the damage shouldn't be comparable to his close range mode.

If I would buff Ronin I would just make his reload speed faster, or atleast have a kit for it. I like playing him but when I go in and have to reload it just sucks. You can do it into a phase shift but it still takes longer, and you can't reload while blocking which means a block retreat to reload takes awhile. Feels bad when the squishy dudes defense option doesn't help him multitask when Legion/Tone shield does.

Potential buffs:
  • More damage on his primary
  • Two Phase Dash charges
  • Larger magazine size
  • Reduced reload times
Nah buff Titans, not nerf them

they already feel like poop in comparison to R1 titans

Ronin, yeah. But Ion, Scorch, and Northstar are in a pretty good spot right now. The problem Titans are Tone and Legion.

I hate this "buff everything instead of nerfing stuff" mentality that goes around. Buffing everything leads to power creep, which isn't ever a good thing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For some reason, ejecting doesn't work and the only thing I can do is literally exit the titan...
You should see the UI pop up a self-destruct sequence countdown and you need to confirm it by pressing the eject button three times. Or you can just mash the eject button since that's cooler.

All the ground stuff mines/trip wires seem completely useless to me since they can just shoot them.
Yeah, and if you're Northstar you're engaging at range anyway. The only Titan the mines counter is Ronin, but you're fucked if he gets close enough to you anyway.

The Dude

You should see the UI pop up a self-destruct sequence countdown and you need to confirm it by pressing the eject button three times. Or you can just mash the eject button since that's cooler.

Yeah, and if you're Northstar you're engaging at range anyway. The only Titan the mines counter is Ronin, but you're fucked if he gets close enough to you anyway.

Ah hit it 3 times, did not know... I'll try that tho.

Putty

Best FPS campaign ive played in a LONG time...Having this and Doom in the same year makes 2016 a real FPS highlight. Top stuff from the Respawn boys'n girls...

It says there's an "Initiate Eject Sequence" button but it doesn't do shit. Is it mashing the Use/Enter Titan/Exit Titan button? I feel so fucking stupid, I'm sorry.

So PC Titanfall 2 players

the players with 'BRO' in their name are totally hacking, right? Because I have run into several of them with nonstop lockon aim that never falls off no matter if you're over them, beside them, speed boosting or anything. I've watched several killcams when I get matched with them in Attrition and they look VERY suspect.
I haven't encountered that tag personally, but hacks have already been confirmed to be out in the wild. I hope FairFight catches/bans them soon. Respawn might be taking an initial survey of the hacks being used at the moment so they can respond accordingly.
I really wish they gave Northstar a shield instead of the mines. His super sucks too because all it does is completely expose you to enemy fire.
Flight Core has a lot of parallels to Pharah from Overwatch in a lot of ways. You either have to sneak up on a Titan with it, or just use it on a bunch of infantry (which, works rather well on open maps). I wish it wasn't so useless on Complex; you can't even shoot after using it in half of the rooms because of how low the ceiling is.

Papercuts

It says there's an "Initiate Eject Sequence" button but it doesn't do shit. Is it mashing the Use/Enter Titan/Exit Titan button? I feel so fucking stupid, I'm sorry.

Yeah. Reload button also, just mash it a bunch and you should eject.

I've accidentally ejected by actually trying to reload more than once, lol.

I prematurely eject from my Titan trying to reload at least once a match. It's very annoying.

I swear this didn't happen to me before. I'm just tired. Please believe me babe.

Top Bottom