• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Izuna

Banned
And I'm still rolling with Ion every match and having no issues at all... Encounter a Legion? Tank all the damage with vortex and just throw it back in their face. Tone hiding behind her wall? Dance around her with an extra dash. I'm not really finding anything all that OP other than map hack at the moment, also some of the spawns suck.

Yeah Ion kinda wrecks Legion.

legbone

Installed it this morning, and played through the first couple of missions (testing area tutorial included). I just activated my titan.

It's decent so far. I'm playing on hard and it's not too bad at all. There's a ton of platforming, but I bet that lessens as it goes on.

Doesn't seem like there's a lot of missions though.

Get back to us later chewie. I'm interested in your thoughts after a few more hours. :)

Because the shield for Ronin is super duper weak. It's a waste of Battery.

IMO it should be the same boost for all Titans.

Ronin isn't killing anything without taking a lot of damage.

And I take back what I said earlier. A Tone Bounty Titan basically trades with a Ronin on Sword Core lmao.

I don't see it that way at all. If his health is low the shield is proportionately more valuable, the fact that the shield is weak is only that way to balance out that relationship, but that doesn't make the extension of his health any less valuable than on other Titan's, and as I say, as Ronin always has to trade health for the kill, the extra HP can make the difference between getting that kill, and not. I feel that with other Titans if you play the encounter correctly (e.g. Legion, Tone, Ion) you can come out of it having taken little to no damage, so you could argue the shield is less needed there.

Izuna

Banned
I don't see it that way at all. If his health is low the shield is proportionately more valuable, the fact that the shield is weak is only that way to balance out that relationship, but that doesn't make the extension of his health any less valuable than on other Titan's, and as I say, as Ronin always has to trade health for the kill, the extra HP can make the difference between getting that kill, and not. I feel that with other Titans if you play the encounter correctly (e.g. Legion, Tone, Ion) you can come out of it having taken little to no damage, so you could argue the shield is less needed there.

Ronin is not getting out of any 1v1 with minimal damage, that is practically impossible. The shield being worth more on another Titan means that your whole team gets more health for it.

I honestly think Ronin is a waste in Attrition. Since it's there to trade kills, it's you can only break even with regard to Titan fights.

legbone

Well shit. Just realized the TitanGaf happy hour occurs while i'm at work. Oh well, i'll just hop to the big neogaf one or admin i guess. their times suit me better.

Titan balance alone is turning me off of this game, attrition devolves into degenerate Legion spam as soon as the first titans come down, can't really queue variety either due to the chance of a 20 min LTS shitfest coming up and PvP is dead on PC
You would see the same in TF1 as the OP load out was the Arc Cannon Strider. Respawn never took the time to nerf that one. I really hope they pay attention to this stuff in TF2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is honestly what it feels like sword coreing Scorch or Legion
uhuhwnat7.gif

Zakalwe

Banned
Ronin is not getting out of any 1v1 with minimal damage, that is practically impossible. The shield being worth more on another Titan means that your whole team gets more health for it.

I honestly think Ronin is a waste in Attrition. Since it's there to trade kills, it's you can only break even with regard to Titan fights.

I manage to dodge in, kill, dodge out with /minimal/ damage using Ronin in 1v1s on attrition all the time.

I manage to dodge in, kill, dodge out with /minimal/ damage using Ronin in 1v1s on attrition all the time.

Any video of this? I'd love to see how others are successfully 1v1'ing with Ronin and making it out without critical damage. I consider myself a pretty skilled player and even with all the phase jumping, triple boosting and dual arc stunning i get boned 80% of the time against anything other than a Northstar or another Ronin.

\clip it next time

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23116359

here's me vs shit legion

and yes, arc wave DOES fuck up the shield in one hit

PUREj19.gif

My god that guy/girl had no idea what to do lol. Not a single power blast to take away most of your health and knock you back so he could regroup. And dat aim doe. Yikes. Those are the Ronin vs Legion battles that i win too lol.

SwolBro

Banned
There's one where I literally go from having Smart Core to having another one like 2 seconds later, and using it to kill like 3 Titans and all the Pilots on the other team at their Bank lmao
Is the 20% core kit not only for the first core? does it apply to following ones as well?

My ideas for some Titan tweaks

• Ronin-increase clip size. faster dash recharge. arc wave does more damage at distance
  • Scorch-core does more damage. fire wall does more damage
  • Northstar-core does more damage. 2 tether traps instead of 1, kit recharges it faster
  • Ion- tripwire does more damage. splitter does a little bit more damage
  • Tone- sonar pulse takes longer to recharge. 40 slightly less effective against pilots
  • Legion- shorten smart core duration. chaingun does less damage at distance

SwolBro

Banned
Nah it's for all. Look at my prior Legion clip lmao

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23113783

One shotgun, 59% charge lmao

ok yeah, that needs a fix. now.

since that applies to all titans with that kit equipped it sure makes that kit seriously useful. people have been neglecting it because of the extra dash. they shouldn't of made the dash kit give you a dash, it should have just recharged your dash faster. having a titan with no dash sucks and was always an odd choice.

Is the 20% core kit not only for the first core? does it apply to following ones as well?

My ideas for some Titan tweaks

• Ronin-increase clip size. faster dash recharge. arc wave does more damage at distance
  • Northstar-core does more damage. 2 tether traps instead of 1, kit recharges it faster
  • Tone- sonar pulse takes longer to recharge. 40 slightly less effective against pilots

Personally, I'd prefer a reduction in Tripwire's visibility to a damage buff. Maybe a small increase in radius, but not before testing out the low-visibility. What use is a tripwire you'd have to be literally blind not to see?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ok yeah, that needs a fix. now.

since that applies to all titans with that kit equipped it sure makes that kit seriously useful. people have been neglecting it because of the extra dash. they shouldn't of made the dash kit give you a dash, it should have just recharged your dash faster. having a titan with no dash sucks and was always an odd choice.

Yeah, I have no idea why they went that direction. :\

Izuna

Banned

Ronin - NAH, clip size is fine, so is dash (2 dashes are enough, 3 dashes are like infinite) He needs to get faster Arc Wave charge in Sword Core and the ability to still use a Shotgun.

Scorch - He doesn't need a single change. More damage would make him stupid OP

Northstar - His core does insane damage already. I agree with other stuff tho

Ion - are you insane lmao, most balanced Titan needs no improvement ;)

Tone - She needs her walls to do small blast damage when it runs out or replaced, she needs close range stuff

Legion - I think they should just make Smart Core damage deplete his Smart Core so it's effectively 8 seconds when hitting enemies (with the kit) or 5 seconds without the kit

RMI

Banned

Played a bunch of attrition matches this morning and did great with Ronin. You can't engage in 1v1 fights head on, but with his mobility its very easy to come up on the side and rear of enemy titans and finish them off or at the very least do some damage and then run away.

Lead wall does pretty good damage at close range and is great against pilots. I only ever melee when they are critical or I have sword core up.

Extra charge for the lighting attack and extra boost are the way to go.

Xater

Did we have an Anti-Titan weapon discussion in this thread yet? I have yet to try the weird energy ball weapon, but so far no weapon seems as good to me as the MGL. It might have a shorter range, but it shoots fast and you can lob shots over cover. Also decent against stuff that is not a Titan.

Zakalwe

Banned
Any video of this? I'd love to see how others are successfully 1v1'ing with Ronin and making it out without critical damage. I consider myself a pretty skilled player and even with all the phase jumping, triple boosting and dual arc stunning i get boned 80% of the time against anything other than a Northstar or another Ronin.

\clip it next time

I'll take a clip, sure.

Honestly, the only real trouble comes when they see you coming and you're caught in a corridor, or you have multiple engagements at once.

The trick is to kind of play it like Darksouls: strike, dodge away, stun, strike, etc... but you really do need to be good at picking your targets. The vaaaast majority of Ronins I see rush toward alerted enemies getting cut down before they make a hit.

They may not be as efficient overall, but this debate was specifically 1v1.

Izuna

Banned
1v1, may as well be Scorch with flame shield for real.

People sleep on Scorch but fuck is he scary with a single dash

Ronin is my go to for clearing out AI Bounties. Especially since he is the best for utilizing Nuclear.

Respawn needs to fix his execution though. It doesn't really come out

Phew, got to Gen 2 last night.

Have we talked about how OP the Smart Pistol is yet? I mean, having it as a boost was a solid idea, but it goes to the point where I'm basically rolling around with one for a good portion of the game because the boost stacks and I win 80-90% of engagements with the thing.

Personally, I'd prefer a reduction in Tripwire's visibility to a damage buff. Maybe a small increase in radius, but not before testing out the low-visibility. What use is a tripwire you'd have to be literally blind not to see?

You say that, but I got killed twice by the damned thing yesterday while on foot. I'm still kind of learning the ins-and-outs of the thing, but apparently you don't actually have to touch the laser part to get it to trip...

SwolBro

Banned
Ronin - NAH, clip size is fine, so is dash (2 dashes are enough, 3 dashes are like infinite) He needs to get faster Arc Wave charge in Sword Core and the ability to still use a Shotgun.

Scorch - He doesn't need a single change. More damage would make him stupid OP

Northstar - His core does insane damage already. I agree with other stuff tho

Ion - are you insane lmao, most balanced Titan needs no improvement ;)

Tone - She needs her walls to do small blast damage when it runs out or replaced, she needs close range stuff

Legion - I think they should just make Smart Core damage deplete his Smart Core so it's effectively 8 seconds when hitting enemies (with the kit) or 5 seconds without the kit

ronin- that would make his core the most deadliest core. it'd be a stryder with dash core in a titanfall 2 game.

scorch- his only works if you're really close to an enemy. it's easy to evade that core. it should do slightly more damage. same goes for the firewall.

northstar- the core doesn't do that much damage. as it is now it's only useful to finish someone off with very little health left.

ion- well then make the tripwire less visible like someone suggested. it's completely useless right now.

tone- you want a tone buff? lol

Legion- you're being too kind to your fav titan here. smart core kit needs a reduction.

Izuna

Banned
Did we have an Anti-Titan weapon discussion in this thread yet? I have yet to try the weird energy ball weapon, but so far no weapon seems as good to me as the MGL. It might have a shorter range, but it shoots fast and you can lob shots over cover. Also decent against stuff that is not a Titan.

MGL or Archer

the rest are garbage sadly

no clue why Sidewinder was made into a shitty Pilot weapon

E92 M3

My ideal nerf for Tone would be halved particle wall health, reduced 40mm cannon mag size (by maybe 3 rounds), cooldown on ordnance, and salvo core requires a lock to fire.

That is ridiculous. Tone is fine - just because you got worked by a good player doesn't mean Tone needs to be butchered. I've killed plenty of Tones/Legions and also got killed by them when making a dumb play.

Instead of crying for nerfs, think about what you did wrong as a player and try to improve it. Sometimes Legion pisses me the fuck off, but I don't think he needs a nerf.

Thankfully Respawn are smart developers and don't nerf/buff based on emotional outbursts.

I'm really disappointed that there aren't THAT many PC players. Earlier tonight it was like... 8000 some in total? Also, Amped Hardpoint seems to be a mode that not many people play. When it says players in my region, it's usually less than 300.

I'm sad about this too. Couldn't find any matches last night except attrition / bounty hunt and even then I played with the same people

Izuna

Banned
Legion ain't my favourite Titan. Tone is. And she has issues I dislike. If electric smoke was good against Titans she'd be fine, but they ain't.

Xater

MGL or Archer

the rest are garbage sadly

no clue why Sidewinder was made into a shitty Pilot weapon

Most of the Grenadier stuff seems questionable. I would have probably scrapped that category and retooled everything to be anti-Titan weapons.

So Archer is alright as well? I tried it but the lock-on still took a little too long for me and the reload also takes forever. I was using it without any attachments though, so that might make a difference.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
For anti-titan I pretty much always take Charge Rifle with instant fire. It's ridiculously strong, and you basically build up your own titan in no time. Archer is solid and does a lot of damage(especially in an A-wall loadout) but gets messed up by smoke and dashes while charge is instant, constant damage. You really want more ammo + fast reload with Archer.

Mag is solid but the infinite range of the charge rifle is too good to usually give up for me. Haven't messed with that super slow rocket thing much but I really didn't like it in the beta.

it's annoying but then again i don't know if i want everyone running that core kit and having their cores being activated constantly like that.

I think it's a sign of something wrong is everyone is overwhelmingly running with any kits in general, which is currently how I'm rolling with dash autopicked for titans. Though if Core works like that it sounds straight up dumb, I'd still say making it a 'choice' via gutting movement options, which does nothing but make every titan feel worse, is a bad trade.

I'm kinda the same with boosts, I'm rolling Map Hack or Amped Weapons every time if I'm trying to actually play seriously.

Izuna

Banned
You can 3 shot a Ronin, and you get like 20% or so with it. It's awesome imo. The range is crazy good too.

I thought the shields were the same for all titans? Doesn't a shield give the equivalent of 1 health block?

Ronin and Northstar get baby shields to go with their baby health. It's so damn useless.

Bumhead

Banned

To be honest I'm doing alright so far with the default main and anti-Titan weapons, and I'm not sure if I've found a preferred Titan to Ion yet (although I am starting to enjoy Tone).

I've only played about 5 hours (love the game, just struggle for time) but I'm getting by just fine without straying too far from the default stuff at the moment.

Alx

[*]Northstar-core does more damage. 2 tether traps instead of 1, kit recharges it faster

Damage is fine. More traps could certainly be useful, although I'm not sure how effective they really are (I usually drop one and run away without checking if my pursuer got caught)
What it really needs is some defensive move while doing the flight core attack (I don't think you can dash while in the air). Being able to cancel it altogether would already be an improvement, since you could choose between dealing max damage or saving your skin.

Xater

To be honest I'm doing alright so far with the default main and anti-Titan weapons, and I'm not sure if I've found a preferred Titan to Ion yet (although I am starting to enjoy Tone).

I've only played about 5 hours (love the game, just struggle for time) but I'm getting by just fine without straying too far from the default stuff at the moment.

Kinda the same here. I like the R-201. I only switched out the Tactical for Stim. The grappling hook is fun and can be useful, but generally I feel stim has more uses and can save your ass.

SwolBro

Banned

I'm kinda the same with boosts, I'm rolling Map Hack or Amped Weapons every time if I'm trying to actually play seriously.

i run that extra battery boost in some modes like attrition and bounty hunt. i always end up geting it right before i drop my first titan. i've gone an entire game with my initial titan because of it.

once they nerf that stupid map hack the most viable boosts will be amped weapon and battery boost.

What it really needs is some defensive move while doing the flight core attack (I don't think you can dash while in the air). Being able to cancel it altogether would already be an improvement, since you could choose between dealing max damage or saving your skin.
That'd be good.

Y'all weren't kidding about this campaign. My god.

Got to the
time travel
level last night, legitimately one of the coolest things I've seen in a shooter campaign in years.

I'm looking to get into the multiplayer a lot more this weekend, I'm on PC. I haven't joined the GAF group, but I will.

If anyone wants to add me: Inferno313 on Origin.

SwolBro

Banned
Something else i just thought of...

they need to speed up evacuation. most people are just quitting now and not even bothering.

Bumhead

Banned
Or maybe up the reward for a succesful evac?

You get a merit for it, which I thought was pretty cool. Maybe more folks need to understand that they get that.

Or.. 2 merits?

I love the evacuation element of this game. It's one of those cool little things which stands out to me about Titanfall when compared to other shooters. It's almost disappointing to win the round though as I like evacuating way more than intercepting.

Phew, got to Gen 2 last night.

Have we talked about how OP the Smart Pistol is yet? I mean, having it as a boost was a solid idea, but it goes to the point where I'm basically rolling around with one for a good portion of the game because the boost stacks and I win 80-90% of engagements with the thing.

You say that, but I got killed twice by the damned thing yesterday while on foot. I'm still kind of learning the ins-and-outs of the thing, but apparently you don't actually have to touch the laser part to get it to trip...

I got donged on super hard by someone with the Smart Pistol last night, lol. Killed me three times consecutively in BH 'cause I kept spawning near 'em :(

Getting too close to the mines will blow them up, but that shouldn't be much of a problem for Pilots as long as you're not on the ground. Tripwire being as bright as the light from a million suns is just not good design.

You get a merit for it, which I thought was pretty cool. Maybe more folks need to understand that they get that.

Or.. 2 merits?

I love the evacuation element of this game. It's one of those cool little things which stands out to me about Titanfall when compared to other shooters. It's almost disappointing to win the round though as I like evacuating way more than intercepting.

A merit seems a decent reason to stick around for a minute. Tut kids these days can't just play a game for fun! But yer, I enjoy the evac sequence regardless of which side I'm on.

Woooow -- it doesn't feel that way (nor looks that way in the UI) but yeah I checked the spreadsheet.

Though I don't think the Doomed health being 2500 makes sense to me. I've totally killed a Doomed Ronin in one Archer where it doesn't work on a Legion. Hmm, maybe I should test this.

Yer I can understand why you would draw that conclusion based on the UI.

Top Bottom