• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

daedalius

I want to like Ronin but I am terrible with him.

I feel like the sword definitely needs better range, I was swinging at another ronin and he was hitting me but I wasn't hitting him?

And what's up with Titan executions? I was great at them in TF1, now I can't seem to get them to activate for crap. You just have to melee them while they are doomed, right?

Not these maps. No.

True, but even if you add new maps, he'll still be problematic on the old ones. Which, until this game has been out for quite a while, will be the majority of them.

Shouldn't this apply to most Titans then? Why single out Legion?

Because Legion is the only Titan in multiplayer with a hitscan primary weapon. You don't need to lead your shots with his minigun. Projectile travel time already cripples the splitter rifle, leadwall, and thermite launcher at a range. The only reason it doesn't for the 40mm and plasma railgun is because that'd defeat their purpose.

I have no idea why anyone thought Legion's minigun being hitscan was a good idea. It was only going to cause problems as it does currently.

Yeah, running out of ammo for anti-titan weapon is very stupid when Reapers take 3 Archers to kill smh

Have you prayed to our lord and savior Thunderbolt?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It says there's an "Initiate Eject Sequence" button but it doesn't do shit. Is it mashing the Use/Enter Titan/Exit Titan button? I feel so fucking stupid, I'm sorry.
Ah hit it 3 times, did not know... I'll try that tho.
Yeah, it's like a triple click. Mashing it is the easiest way to get it to happen though.

Flight Core has a lot of parallels to Pharah from Overwatch in a lot of ways. You either have to sneak up on a Titan with it, or just use it on a bunch of infantry (which, works rather well on open maps). I wish it wasn't so useless on Complex; you can't even shoot after using it in half of the rooms because of how low the ceiling is.
Oh god, on Complex it's practically worthless. lol

I can confirm that a Pilot Turret cannot be killed by a Firestar grenade. It does like 95% of its health only.

As counter intuitive as it is, meleeing the turret is still the best sure-fire way to take it out immediately. Just need to stay out of its sights until you're close enough.... You know what, reading that back, maybe settling for 95% damage and dealing the rest from a distance is just fine...

Alx

If you press up on the d-pad you can early eject. Sadly Nuclear doesn't work with it anymore ;(

I knew it, there are so many times I expected my titan to nuke the area and it didn't.
Not a big fan of nuclear ejection anyway, but it was a nice strategic option in some game modes.

Izuna

Banned
K, I'm done using Legion.

I got a couple of clips coming and they're hilarious.

There's one where I literally go from having Smart Core to having another one like 2 seconds later, and using it to kill like 3 Titans and all the Pilots on the other team at their Bank lmao

And another where I get 100 Attrition points in 3 minutes using 3 Smart Cores...

Does anyone else feel motion sick when playing the game for extended periods?

Was trying to get in the top 3 of the gauntlet, but after 30 minutes I felt like puking.

This typically never happens to me while playing video games.

After the update today I was feeling motion sickness in campaign. Still fine in multiplayer.

I got a couple of clips coming and they're hilarious.

There's one where I literally go from having Smart Core to having another one like 2 seconds later, and using it to kill like 3 Titans and all the Pilots on the other team at their Bank lmao

And another where I get 100 Attrition points in 3 minutes using 3 Smart Cores...

do you find that Legion is the easiest and most dominant to play? (I've been sticking with it for a while now)

You can stack smart cores so quickly and just tear through multiple titans. It's pretty comfortable going up against more than one titan too.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I'll echo that I'm sad that FFA is so underpopulated. Couldn't get a game at like 2pm. Sad!

Oh, and the eject thing. That was happening to me sooooo much tonight. It's way more aggressive than TF1 on ejecting you. I'm not always sure if my reload went through based on the animations so sometimes I tap it more than once. Not at super fast eject speed, but I think they lowered it too much. If I'm not hitting it at Track and Field speeds, then I don't want to eject!

As for Titan balance (mostly from an LTS perspective)... Ion is strongest. Vortex Shield is Legion's worst nightmare. Generally not that strong against against Tone but it's still a win if you play the long game. Laser Core wins against Tone. It will melt through a fresh Particle Wall in zero time flat and then make Tone go away as well. And Vortex can ruin a Salvo Core as well. The little shoulder laser is the best anti-pilot weapon in the game, and is great for chipping away health from targets of opportunity. I find the mines borderline useless in a Titan fight, but no big deal since that typically uses the energy meter anyway, it's perfectly fine to ignore.

Northstar is OK, but Flight Core is garbage. It's not worth hiding from, you can just murder Northstar while she gently drizzles a mistrial from an unimpressive height. If she had a good Core then she would be supremely satisfying to use. You really have to put in work as Northstar... and the payoff is just so awful.

Scorch is OK and fun, but he's really a support guy. I don't think I want him for a Titan fight unless I know my opponent is bad. In which case the damage over time stuff, and the awesome flame shield are a great time.

Ronin is good. I think generally people are just really bad at playing him. He's great for flanking and causing chaos. And he's also excellent at mopping up doomed titans with executions.

I think Titan balance overall is decent. For LTS I think one each of Ion, Legion, and Tone should be the core of your team. A good Ronin on top of that is nice, and then double up on one of those top 3 choices. The other two are a bit too niche, and in need of a rebalance... though Scorch is an OK pick for the two shittiest maps, Crash Site and Complex. Northstar is semi-viable on more maps.

She's the best midrange Titan, can contest Northstar at a distance (especially with particle wall, which Northstar should have, not Tone), and can easily earn locks in close range to make use of her ordnance. And when he Salvo Core is ready, she gets to decide which Titan on the battlefield dies. There's not really a "certain map" for where Salvo Core struggles; considering virtually every map is open enough for it to be useful (sans Complex, which is garbage anyway), it's never going to be a problem.
Particle Wall isn't a big deal for Northstar. She can poke out and one-shot them from what I can tell. Not to mention put cluster missiles right on them. The Core abilities are a total mismatch though.

I'm really disappointed that there aren't THAT many PC players. Earlier tonight it was like... 8000 some in total? Also, Amped Hardpoint seems to be a mode that not many people play. When it says players in my region, it's usually less than 300.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After like a 8 game streak of losing every single time nearly at the bottom of the score every time despite having a lot of FPS history. I got my first win in the game using EPG for the first time and I was the 2nd highest score

EPG is the trick, I've decided

Izuna

Banned
I dunno if Ronin is bad luck, but fuck being on teams where I can get $3200 Bounty and still lose by like $1500...

Ronin's Sword Core is trash imo. I don't like how it stops you using the Shotty. If a Titan uses Smoke you literally can't fight it and that means you waste the only thing that does damage.

For real, Ronin is really bad.

I've been using Ronin a bit and find him fun, although not the best Titan. He is good at supporting Titan battles though. I find him pretty lethal against Pilots at close range.

The key is movement and speed. His shotgun can unload the full barrel very quickly. Move in, fire off your shootgun shells, start reload, phase shift.

When you come back, your clip will be reloaded and one of your dashes should be too.

Use the sword block to fend off any attacks until the enemy has to reload. Then make your move again.

Another useful tactic is to try and trap a Titan in a corner. Or, if that is not possible, engage with a Titan that your team mate is taking on. If you can move and flank, you can phase shift out before the bigger slower Titans can get their move on you.

Ronin is the only one though that I am struggling to destroy Titans with solo, so hopefully gets some updates. Even just an extra shot in the shotgun would be a welcome addition.

Ronin is uh. Kinda meh. The health is way too low and I always start with a Battery. I honestly don't see how this dude can solo 1v1 anything. He needs 2 Arc Waves as standard imo.

Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. A skilled Ronin user is pretty scary, but that's still not saying much, considering a good Ronin just barely outclasses a decent Tone or a good Ion.

He should be the high-risk, high-reward Titan, but he just comes off as being high-risk, middling payoff.

XBP

I'm really disappointed that there aren't THAT many PC players. Earlier tonight it was like... 8000 some in total? Also, Amped Hardpoint seems to be a mode that not many people play. When it says players in my region, it's usually less than 300.

Hopefully I didn't make a mistake in buying the game on PC. Just placed an order on amazon 30 minutes ago. :(

Regenerated this morning. Finally getting the bunny hop down as well.

On the topic of Titan balance I feel that all of the titans need to be brought up a bit to compete with Tone and Legion. Ion is really annoying due to the way her cooldowns work. Scorch needs to reload faster or something. Northstar needs a legitimate defensive ability. Ronin needs more health or better DPS.

Izuna

Banned
Yep, that's pretty much how it goes. A skilled Ronin user is pretty scary, but that's still not saying much, considering a good Ronin just barely outclasses a decent Tone or a good Ion.

He should be the high-risk, high-reward Titan, but he just comes off as being high-risk, middling payoff.

Screenshot-Original.png

Ronin* is fine guys.

His Sword Core obliterates AI Titans and Auto Titans so quick. He can also fuck up Reapers so fast. If he gets the jump on a Titan with Sword Core saved, it's game over. IMO 2 dashes is enough, so have 2 Arc Waves and don't really engage.

His health is a tad low so he's relatively expendable. I think he's the perfect Titan to use Nuclear Ejection with (though I personally like OverCore on like everything).

-----------------------------------

How to get 100 Attrition Points in 3 minutes with Legion lmaooo
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23113509

Izuna

Banned
Ronin's biggest issue is that you can't get Electic Smoke during Sword Core. You have to be mindful of that.

If you're Ronin, you should be heading STRAIGHT for the Bounty Titan -- you can get like 70% of the Bounty in a second with Sword Core.

Also, Respawn... Ronin's shield shoulder be lower than other Titans. It's just as hard to get a battery for any Titan, Ronin should have the same benefit. His shield is so daft like two instant charge rifle shots fucks it up...

Alx

I was wondering why you kept using it if you find it too cheap, actually.
I'm still grinding my Northstar with the intent of unlocking more of the funny faces, but my strategy seems to get repetitive too, I think it's time to look into another Titan. Not sure which one though, Ronin seems fun enough with his warping abilities, but I'm not very good at close range usually. Or maybe it's time to fix that. :)

Installed it this morning, and played through the first couple of missions (testing area tutorial included). I just activated my titan.

It's decent so far. I'm playing on hard and it's not too bad at all. There's a ton of platforming, but I bet that lessens as it goes on.

Doesn't seem like there's a lot of missions though.

Alx

Because the point of the game is to win.

I thought the point was having fun. ^^

Northstar is OK, but Flight Core is garbage. It's not worth hiding from, you can just murder Northstar while she gently drizzles a mistrial from an unimpressive height. If she had a good Core then she would be supremely satisfying to use. You really have to put in work as Northstar... and the payoff is just so awful.

Mostly agree, I usually use the flight core as a last hurrah to go out in a blaze. :D Or sometimes to carpet bomb an ongoing battle among other titans, hoping they won't notice me raining fire from above.
It's so fun though, sometimes I trigger it just because I have a pilot rodeoing and I want to take him for a ride. :D

Ronin* is fine guys.

His Sword Core obliterates AI Titans and Auto Titans so quick. He can also fuck up Reapers so fast. If he gets the jump on a Titan with Sword Core saved, it's game over. IMO 2 dashes is enough, so have 2 Arc Waves and don't really engage.

...pretty much any Titan obliterates an AI Titan quickly. That's not really a high bar for "this Titan is good". And most don't need a core ability to do it with. Sword Core is laughably lousy compared to the other Core Abilities, and even if it did exceed Laser or Salvo Core in raw damage, Ronin doesn't have the damage to back it up; Leadwall is a terrible primary weapon, and you need to dedicate a perk slot to having two charges on Arc Wave.

Ronin is not up to spec with the rest of the Titans. He can be fun in the right hands, but a decent player is going to blow him away.

Ronin isn't meant to 1v1 any Titan for real. It just literally can't.

That's kind of the point of Ronin. He's supposed to be a skirmisher who closes the gap and keeps opponents guessing. His kit just isn't built for that, though.

Izuna

Banned
Nah, Sword Core can eat Bounty Titan health in a few seconds, that's very important because that means he can help your team get both Bounties.

He's really fine.

Alx

Ronin is lethal against Northstar, can't keep the bugger at bay. :( The only fun part is that you can hover over his sword slashes, but that's only winning a few seconds before you die.

Izuna

Banned
Ronin is fine and Tone needs a buff

a.. peculiar stance.

Maybe if you played objective it wouldn't seem so strange

Screenshot-Original.png

Ronin is completely okay if you let him suicide. He can basically take a whole Bounty stat. Also, if you have Nuclear and you want to kill a Legion, just dash up to him so you're right on him and blast away at his back, he can't move at all with the shield. You'll die also, but you can just Nuclear and he can't move out the way haha.

You gotta live by the Samurai code and sacrifice your Ronin for the AI kills and take another Titan with you. And if you get the jump on another Titan with Sword Core, you can fuck up anything that isn't Legion or Scorch in seconds.

He can't do anything to a Legion who sees him first, so it's very important Ronin takes the L and kamikaze the Bounty if there is one.

Tone has a huge issue with clearing out AI, so she's perpetually in Titan killing mode. Ion and Legion fuck her up too easily. She's a good counter to Ronin though.

Legion is dumb because of how easy he is, and in some situations he's pretty much broken (like using Smart Core at an open bank).

Ronin is lethal against Northstar, can't keep the bugger at bay. :( The only fun part is that you can hover over his sword slashes, but that's only winning a few seconds before you die.

Northstar can just trap Ronin and call out to anyone else to take care of her. Thing is, Ronin dies in 3/4 Archers

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any titan with core decimates an AI bounty, I wouldn't put Ronin in a special place there. His primary does wreck Reapers really well atleast.

On a sidenote I've been using Firestar more post-Regen and liking it. Does surprisingly large damage sticking it to a titan and it's solid to mop up AI. Finally stuck a pilot with it earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5K5r53MQ9I

Dunno if I'd keep using it over Arc though, those are just so damn strong.

Izuna

Banned
Batteries are pointless for Ronin.

Which means I get to use another boost instead.

--

LOL I joined a game in progress where my team had 600 and the other had like 1800...

Leave Game -> Counts as a Loss

fuck offfffff

ViviOggi

Titan balance alone is turning me off of this game, attrition devolves into degenerate Legion spam as soon as the first titans come down, can't really queue variety either due to the chance of a 20 min LTS shitfest coming up and PvP is dead on PC

Spent yesterday going through and trying out every weapon. Seems that balance is a little odd in this game. I want to go through that quickly and see if what I think aligns with the perceptions of others

Assault rifles

The default is probably the best gun in the game, tight spread, good time to kill and incredibly versatile. It's a great weapon capable of going head to head with many of the SMGs, while keeping you effective at mid range combat. The fourth assault rifle is decent enough but the erratic spread is more likely to let you down.

The rest all serve their own, albeit circumscribed purpose. The burst can be quite devastating when combined with amped damage, causing one burst kills become the norm rather than the exception, even at mid-long ranges.

SMGs

The CAR is decent enough, faster TTK than fully automatic assault rifles or light machine guns, yet struggles at range. The rest are more of the same, both the R97 and Alternator sacrifice accuracy for a slightly faster time to kill than the CAR, but that has its own drawback, ultimately the CAR is the go-to here.

The Volt is in a really awkward spot with the slowest time to kill, arguably compensated with its enhanced accuracy when compared to the others. The issue here is that you'd generally be better off using the G2A5 assault rifle instead, as it more capably handles that mid-long range and performs similarly to the Volt when up close.

LMGs

The Spitfire and Devotion are good enough. Lower time to kills than most assault rifles but they can get kills at further ranges than the G2. They're good options if you want a fully automatic that can cut it a little better at those mid-long ranges but suffer up close. Generally I wouldn't favour them over the assault rifles. The L-Star seems especially bad.

Grenadier

Entirely useless category of weapons. The softball is the best of the bunch if you really must use one since if the grenade hits the target it kills them, but that aside the rest of them are woefully weak. Great way to get pistol kills if you use those as these grenadier weapons often leave targets at low hp, forcing you to switch to a secondary or die. As anti titan weapons they're just worse than the existing anti-titan weapons. Honestly I think it would be worth moving them to the anti-titan category and buffing their damage in that area, as I don't see much benefit of these in the primary slot for which they would need to be much more effective.

Shotguns

Generally I wouldn't recommend these since the TTK is so low on every gun and you lose so much versatility by using something that's strictly close range only. However the Masstifs pump action can let you down and given the mobility of pilots in this game it's easy for enemies to stray out of your effective range, causing you to die if you don't get the one-shot kill.

Snipers

I think most of these are pretty bad, the games pacing doesn't well suit sniping, as people duck and dive between buildings it can be difficult to keep track of a target and placing yourself into any good sniping position. There all as good as you are accurate but for me I found the double take to be the most forgiving and therefore the most effective when accommodating for the highly fast moving battlefield.

I did manage to get some nice collaterals and quick-scopes with the Kraber though, since its one-shot kill potential is quite nice, but still I found it hard to hit targets moving at long distance at times. Are these weapons hitscans or do I need to place some lead on the target? Either way, I don't think snipers are an effective option in any game modes aside pilot TDM and Skirmish so it renders them quite limited compared to others.

Batteries are pointless for Ronin.

Which means I get to use another boost instead.

How are they pointless? I see Ronin as the titan that always has to trade at least a portion of his life to get a kill, so batteries seem quite useful for him.

Titan balance alone is turning me off of this game, attrition devolves into degenerate Legion spam as soon as the first titans come down, can't really queue variety either due to the chance of a 20 min LTS shitfest coming up and PvP is dead on PC

I don't really see legion as being all that great. What gives you issue with him? You can shoot around and through his shield so it's not a huge issue and the fact that he a delay when starting his weapon means gives him very low damage output when being poked at from corners. Nothstar can really wreck him, Tone can hold her own, and even Scorch can deal with him reasonably well if you've got the right environment. I find it difficult with Ion, but it's very doable with good use of your reflection.

At least on console, there's a good variety of Titan's being used. The only one you don't see often is Northstar. While I use her from time to time it really depends on the map and situation as on some she feels quite useless and there's too much risk of getting ambushed in the narrow corridors.

Izuna

Banned
How are they pointless? I see Ronin as the titan that always has to trade at least a portion of his life to get a kill, so batteries seem quite useful for him.

Because the shield for Ronin is super duper weak. It's a waste of Battery.

IMO it should be the same boost for all Titans.

Ronin isn't killing anything without taking a lot of damage.

And I take back what I said earlier. A Tone Bounty Titan basically trades with a Ronin on Sword Core lmao.

Jito

Banned
And I'm still rolling with Ion every match and having no issues at all... Encounter a Legion? Tank all the damage with vortex and just throw it back in their face. Tone hiding behind her wall? Dance around her with an extra dash. I'm not really finding anything all that OP other than map hack at the moment, also some of the spawns suck.

Top Bottom