• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Just finished the game about an hour and a half ago. I beat it on hard, then tried some multiplayer.

The campaign took a little while to really get going, as some mentioned. It was good throughout, but got pretty badass near the end. It's really solid overall, and definitely worth playing. I just don't think I'd play through it again, because I have too many other games to play.

The multiplayer didn't hook me. It seemed solid, but not spectacular. Since I don't play multiplayer much and mostly just focus on beating games -- plus own IW and MWR -- I'll just return it.

Liked:

Movement
Gunplay
Different Titan cores
Decently challenging but not cheap outside of the ticks
Looked quite good

Disliked:

Cheesy looking character portraits (radio)
Cheap looking text
Some checkpoints would leave me vulnerable. Some were far away.

MGrant

Got the R-97. I like it. Great "surprise, motherfucker" gun. Also started using electric smoke grenades. They're pretty cool.

garath

It's pretty dire. 3900 people online, 178 searching for Attrition, 0 people the 8v8 or mixtape playlist. East coast of the U.S.

It's much better in the evenings. I usually see 1800 or so searching for attrition. I always find a match right away.

deoee

It's much better in the evenings. I usually see 1800 or so searching for attrition. I always find a match right away.

Yeah.
EU and USA are mostly working / asleep.

At ~12 pm in EU it's almost 7000 players and more than 1000 people looking for the well received modes

TP-DK

Is there anywhere I can see my challenges? It keeps popping up with "Challenge completed", but what is that good for if I dont know the challenges beforehand.

RedFury

Ion is fine
Yeah, I don't think people see his utility for Bounty. Just use vortex shield and absorb some of their shots. The resulting blast instantly vaporizes entire groups of them without needing to aim. Ion and Scorch are my favorite titans for bounty hunt because you can amass large bounties easily with them. Also if you getting shot by NPCs AI the returning blast is indiscriminate it kills pilots just the same. Don't even know how many pilot kills I've got not even knowing they were there.

Just got platinum a few days ago and I feel like hard should have been the default difficulty , however, titan warfare and boss fights were still too easy. Master difficulty was perfect for these sections

Yeah, I don't think people see his utility for Bounty. Just use vortex shield and absorb some of their shots. The resulting blast instantly vaporizes entire groups of them without needing to aim. Ion and Scorch are my favorite titans for bounty hunt because you can amass large bounties easily with them. Also if you getting shot by NPCs AI the returning blast is indiscriminate it kills pilots just the same. Don't even know how many pilot kills I've got not even knowing they were there.
Pretty much. I havent even touched tone or legion now that I'm decent with the vortex shield. Plus, i have ion's sweet dew and dorritos paint lol.

E92 M3

Across the different boards, I am reading tons of opinions on what weapon people love. It's rather telling about the state of balance (exceptional).

I hate how basically every single camo is so bright and gaudy

Got a couple funny messages when I execute people with my bright ass pink camo lol.

I've made my peace with every inane change to mechanics and combat. Titanfall 2 is, for all of its many faults, probably the best big budget shooter right now.

Except for the terrible maps. Seriously. I refuse to believe the same team who designed Titanfall 1 also threw together this batch of disasters.

The problem isn't the designers, but the changed philosophy for the new maps - 3 lanes. That's the one thing I don't like.

Is there anywhere I can see my challenges? It keeps popping up with "Challenge completed", but what is that good for if I dont know the challenges beforehand.

Challenges are tied to camo unlocks. That said, an extensive stats/challenge page is coming.

legbone

Man, I'm having trouble varying things up in this game. Pretty much stick to the default assault rifle br459 or whatever it's called and stim. anyone have any suggestions for some other nice weapons. i have tried a shotgun and just am not that good with it. may just ride it out with the assault rifles (once i get some more unlocked) like i did with MAG. i put easily over 100 hours in MAG and never used anything but assault rifles with the occasional switch to a shotty.

edit: oh, and maybe it's because i suck with the other ones (who am i kidding, i suck with ion too) but ion is extremely underrated. i love throwing a legion's bullets back at him.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man, I'm having trouble varying things up in this game. Pretty much stick to the default assault rifle br459 or whatever it's called and stim. anyone have any suggestions for some other nice weapons. i have tried a shotgun and just am not that good with it. may just ride it out with the assault rifles (once i get some more unlocked) like i did with MAG. i put easily over 100 hours in MAG and never used anything but assault rifles with the occasional switch to a shotty.

edit: oh, and maybe it's because i suck with the other ones (who am i kidding, i suck with ion too) but ion is extremely underrated. i love throwing a legion's bullets back at him.

Try the Hemlock AR (burst fire, good for med to long range engagements), and the Flatline AR which is like a crappier version of the first R201 AR (Flatline has higher damage, slower rate of fire).

SMGs are all good. CAR, Volt and Alternator are all viable. Haven't used the shotguns yet, but the LMGs are OK, too. Spitfire fires slow but does decent damage, Devotion is good for taking out paths of AI and enemies in tight corridors (even Titans too if you use it with A-Wall), and LStar for a more AR feel.

I suggest using other tacticals with the guns. I don't use a run-n-gun tactical for something like the Hemlock, and use the A-Wall for LMGs depending on what map, etc.

Ensoul

The G2 is such an amazing gun. Wow.

Unfortunately you don't. I wonder if it's because they didn't want to program any pilot AI and just kept it to Titan combat.

That's actually the gun I have been using for the past couple of weeks. I am semi trying unlock all the challenges but 2500 kills with this gun is a bit much.

E92 M3

I use the Alternator. Hipfire heaven if you like playing fast.

legbone

thanks for the tips guys. i will try the other ar's once i unlock them but i think i'm going to try some smg's next time i play. i love to run and gun using stim so it may fit right. i also use auto sprint in my settings and the perk (or whatever they are called) that lets me shoot from the hip on the run. might fit smgs well.

Mupod

Everyone who praised Devotion: you were so right. What an intensely satisfying, tactical gun to use. And it makes life so much easier when you come across 3 or more pilots in a tight corridor...

devotion works well for me just because I've given up on the very concept of trying to survive if someone gets the drop on you - not much you can do if they have that one SMG everybody uses and are in their optimal range. So I might as well secure as much of an advantage as I can if I see them first or at longer ranges. Still experimenting with abilities, amped wall can be very strong with it but it's very situational plus some people seem to be able to just shoot through it (can some guns penetrate it?). So I keep going back to stim.

Devotion exacerbates this game's greatest problem for me though, which is the game deciding to say 'fuck you' and spawn an enemy in right behind you. And then drops you in the middle of the enemy team 4 times in a row just to prove a point, or something. Spawning is consistently broken, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because nobody else has noticed or cares.

Ran into another glitch abuser last night too - I think it was on Black Water Canal. He was on top of a building in the middle of some antennae, and even though he looked totally exposed he would take 0 damage from bullets (they'd just hit the environment props) and could fire back with impunity. He was definitely aware of this and kept going back up there until people started getting Titans.

It's funny because when people say this game inspires a 'just one more match' feeling I find myself agreeing but only because it comes together so well when I get a good round in. But when I lose to bugs, exploits or lopsided team numbers I end up just wanting to get one 'real' match in because it feels bad ending on something like that. I wasn't able to last night, it was just a nonstop shitfest.

E92 M3

devotion works well for me just because I've given up on the very concept of trying to survive if someone gets the drop on you - not much you can do if they have that one SMG everybody uses and are in their optimal range. So I might as well secure as much of an advantage as I can if I see them first or at longer ranges. Still experimenting with abilities, amped wall can be very strong with it but it's very situational plus some people seem to be able to just shoot through it (can some guns penetrate it?). So I keep going back to stim.

Devotion exacerbates this game's greatest problem for me though, which is the game deciding to say 'fuck you' and spawn an enemy in right behind you. And then drops you in the middle of the enemy team 4 times in a row just to prove a point, or something. Spawning is consistently broken, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because nobody else has noticed or cares.

Ran into another glitch abuser last night too - I think it was on Black Water Canal. He was on top of a building in the middle of some antennae, and even though he looked totally exposed he would take 0 damage from bullets (they'd just hit the environment props) and could fire back with impunity. He was definitely aware of this and kept going back up there until people started getting Titans.

It's funny because when people say this game inspires a 'just one more match' feeling I find myself agreeing but only because it comes together so well when I get a good round in. But when I lose to bugs, exploits or lopsided team numbers I end up just wanting to get one 'real' match in because it feels bad ending on something like that. I wasn't able to last night, it was just a nonstop shitfest.

Haven't lost to any exploits yet.

--

Back-to-back Titan executions

Generalized destruction

Izuna

Banned
I feel like it's time to try and get into competitive LTS. Only because I want to hear Northstar speak to me more.

I can kinda see why Respawn won't make this awesome VO available for everyone, but I'd recommend anyone who can try to do so.

Origin games and their inability to be modded means that you're SOL on PC though. ;(

--

I'm not in Tokyo atm, but I'd love to see this game in Arcades there.

JaMarco

Why did they stop you from using your Titan ordinance and fire your main weapon at the same time. It was cool when you could use both together in TF1.

B3N1

Why did they stop you from using your Titan ordinance and fire your main weapon at the same time. It was cool when you could use both together in TF1.
This is really annoying with the cluster missle. It's not even like Ion's laser, which you can hold to aim.
Have to press the bumper, and once the arm pops in from right, it shoots where I didn't want it to. Feels like a moba skill with a separate cast time.

It was my ordnance of choice in R1, could easily snipe it in windows without any aim, even with that trajectory. Here it's just annoying to use.

Okay so this SP campaign has been bonkers so far.

I don't know the name of the level,
but it's in the early game when you're having to chase after BT after he's taken away by a big-ass crane

That entire level felt like Portal 2 for me. Just a beautiful symphony of movement, shooting, and environmental awareness that I haven't seen in a game since, well...Portal 2.

This campaign is making me remember why I loved playing video games in the first place. It just feels like a 90s shooter wrapped in modern day garb. I really have enjoyed it so far.

Izuna

Banned

but it's in the early game when you're having to chase after BT after he's taken away by a big-ass crane

That entire level felt like Portal 2 for me. Just a beautiful symphony of movement, shooting, and environmental awareness that I haven't seen in a game since, well...Portal 2.

This campaign is making me remember why I loved playing video games in the first place. It just feels like a 90s shooter wrapped in modern day garb. I really have enjoyed it so far.

boy are you in for a ride

EL CUCO

We should start up a Titanfall 2 Thursday's in the evenings or something for some sweet GAF on GAF action.

Or Titanfall 2's day (Tuesday). Just not this Tuesday lol

Menitta

For Scorch, should I use take less damage from own fire or longer flame shield? I'm thinking the former because I'm also using the boost to get up close. Specifically to Tones.

Also I wish the recovery animation for melee was much faster. I constantly die from waiting for my gun to come back up.

It's amazing but it's not even the best level ;)

Mupod

It's killing me that I can't have JP Northstar. Respawn pls.

it's rare that I can be on during GAF's 'happy hour' and I've never been able to get a group going with PC GAF. I've had a few Giantbomb parties form but they have been...not good. I'm pretty sure a lot of people just joined that one because it's large.

I also have a problem where sometimes I'll accept a party invite, and the game will black screen and crash on map load. Very annoying.

I've been having ALOT of fun with the EPG. A direct shot is a one hit kill and its not very hard to do especially if you are running with pulse blade.

the only reason I stopped using the EPG is the game's nonsensical rule that your projectiles vanish on death. It's really fun to use, and insanely effective against AI grunts. I think it's still my highest level gun, but devotion is catching up.

Raptor

I Want to experience the campaign but I refuse to advance untill I become a master and get that gauntlet in 33.65 seconds.

I may aswell never experience it or maybe in a few years down the line.

Gator86

Inferno Shield, it also deals extra damage. Comes in handy against pesky Ronins.

It feels essential because of how slow Scorch is. Sometimes you just have to trudge to cover holding your hand in front of your face for a while, even if you roll with dash core.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just finished the game about an hour and a half ago. I beat it on hard, then tried some multiplayer.

The campaign took a little while to really get going, as some mentioned. It was good throughout, but got pretty badass near the end. It's really solid overall, and definitely worth playing. I just don't think I'd play through it again, because I have too many other games to play.

The multiplayer didn't hook me. It seemed solid, but not spectacular. Since I don't play multiplayer much and mostly just focus on beating games -- plus own IW and MWR -- I'll just return it.

Liked:

Movement
Gunplay
Different Titan cores
Decently challenging but not cheap outside of the ticks
Looked quite good

Disliked:

Cheesy looking character portraits (radio)
Cheap looking text
Some checkpoints would leave me vulnerable. Some were far away.

Question: I've never returned a game in my life, I've on-sold plenty...but never returned one, I just wouldn't feel right about it if I'd completed the campaign and enjoyed it.

Is this something a lot of people do to get free campaigns out of games? Truly intrigues me.

In Tone news, anyone figure out what changes were applied to Tone? I still find her lethal as hell, nothing comes close still (except a skilled Legion IMO).

pieface

Kinda wanna get this game, but also very much enjoying tearing it up on BF1. Wish they had have released TF2 in December or something, too close to the BF1 launch.

What mode are you playing. I have never had a spawn problem but i dont play pilotvpilot or bountyhunt very often

Top Bottom