• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

There was a thread about this once, the biggest barrier to being competitive with age is the time you're able to dedicate to a game, not your dwindling reflexes! Stick at it buddy, you'll come good.

I'm the same age as you.

As someone getting older, I agree with this. Even if reflexes aren't the same, there's more to these games than just reacting quickly. Movement and positioning for example. My biggest problem is finding the time and energy to dedicate to these games

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just finished the campaign. What a wild ride. I really enjiyed it. Wasn't afraid to take any risks, and it really played to the strengths of what makes Titanfall special. Will definitely play it again on Master.

MattyG

Banned
Any tips for MP? I'm doing OK, but I feel like I'm not utilizing mobility to its fullest. Doesn't help that I keep getting the alpha map with shitty mobility options over and over again.

malfcn

Just got the batteries. Awesome so far.

One moment I forgot to capture was during the second route. Snuck up on them and they put their hands up, and got blown away.

The Dude

Thanks for this, as there is a whole lot of truth to it. Play time is essential. Especially to get familiar with the maps. I did not play a single map twice yet except for the Beta map which now that I think about it is the match I placed second to last, so there is some hope I suppose.

With that said, there is a stark, and I mean stark, difference between how competitive I am in a game like this compared to a Battlefield. It has been the same deal with BF, meaning I am playing maps I was playing for the first time, and I do fine. Damn good even.

So while I do think there is some hope the more I play, I will not deny that, I do also think it is the result of my skills have also declined some. As silly as this may sound I have done some soul searching as a result of how poorly I did today checking out the MP, and I have come to the conclusion that even though I have more or less been there since the beginning with the genre (18 years ago is when I got my first PC dedicated to gaming) the truth of the matter is I have never been what I would call very good at "twitch" or fast paced shooters. I was sub par at Unreal & Quake. Only one I was decent at was UT2K4 and that was because of the Conquest and Assault modes, which both deviated from the arena style fast paced stuff.

I think the truth is I am just not very good at this type of FPS, and I am getting worse with age which is undeniably compounded by my lack of playing time. I just have to accept it and try and have some fun. As I do still enjoy playing it even though it is somewhat deflating to always be last. Truth is someone is always going to have to be the worst player. I might as well just embrace the fact that is now me.

Good post man. Yea I think it's simply the style of game, because I can go off in a game like Battlefield, I was straight up disgusting in battlefront, I can lay waste in halo a good portion of the time, I crushed in destiny crucible, I held my own pretty well in doom recently, but then you move into the call of duty genre and I sit and laugh at myself at how bad I am. Now I do believe age has something to do with it, but I also feel it's simply a style that caters to those who play call of duty style games. Same with overwatch, Its a game that I loved at first but I was never going to dominate. There's just a style of shooter, like Battlefield I can peek over a wall and head shot someone in a second flat, but call of duty it's simply map style and layouts that I find the biggest culprit. I can shoot anyone down when theyre in front of me, but I find in this game and call of duty I'm constantly flanked and shot from behind and I'm always on a swivel, it just is a style of game that for those who play it nonstop and love it will excel. But like I said I did pretty damn well in the original once I got the hang, this feels vastly different

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Many people are likely still going through the (absolutely excellent) campaign, which will impact the numbers.

It also seems like the sales are a bit of a slow burn, as it's a bit of surprise to people how good this turned out.

The slow burn should start glowing brighter hopefully, since you're right it's an absolutely excellent campaign and the reviews are extremely good.

I was in the "not going to buy" basket after the beta reception (didn't play it myself, but it wasn't a good reception), but after the reviews I've gotten the PS4 version and it's amazing.

I see this gathering steam for sure: especially for those that BF1 just isn't gelling with (like myself, I suck too much at it lol).

Bounty Hunt is fucking awesome.

It's so very much awesome...it's 11/10 shit for me.

Haines

Banned
Bought it on ps4.

I finally made the decision to get a pro and thus this should be awesome in pro mode.

It's pretty much a must have for the Titan game play for me. The first titanfall was ok and this looks to be much better.

Going to miss using my elite controller but the difference between pro and x1 will be too much to pass up.

Izuna

Banned
Xbox TitanGAF kicking butt

Pyxpe0P.png

CTF was real fun, and we basically slaughtered. Did we lost a single game in this group? I don't think so...

Requested to join TitanGAF on Xbox!
Level 16 now, finding it super slow to rank up despite winning 80% of the games and getting 120+ individual score in Attrition. Any modes that help accelerate the process?

Gator86

10,000 people that is like month three CoD on PC numbers that's a little discouraging.

Goddamn, already to the population numbers watching stage. I wonder how badly this bombed given the other topic and some of the comments here. I hope Respawn has an aggressive DLC support plan in mind. Launching today was absolutely nuts.

Izuna

Banned
Requested to join TitanGAF on Xbox!
Level 16 now, finding it super slow to rank up despite winning 80% of the games and getting 120+ individual score in Attrition. Any modes that help accelerate the process?

Keep switching weapons. You get level up my merits, and you get merits by levelling up guns. You only need like 2 pilot kills with each to get them to LV2 etc.

--

Yeah, Bounty Hunt is great. Amped Hardpoint is nice when you're in a team. PvP is still... well let's be fair, PvP is much better in R2 than it ever could be in R1 ;P

CupONoodos

Neo Member
Loving the game so far! Only problem I'm having is how long it takes for you to find any multiplayer that isn't Bounty Hunt or Hardpoint.

Also, does anyone know how to make an empty lobby? I wanted to practice routes and movement on maps, but selecting Private Lobby in the matchmaking options just makes me search for a Private Lobby instead of making one that I can just play by myself.

This game...wow. Even if I get my ass handed to me in a match it's just simply so much fun. Best feeling FPS I've ever played. Only played an hour of the campaign but so far was top fucking notch.

Some things I would like to see in a patch

-FoV slider on consoles. The HIGHEST OF PRIORITY, Respawn :D
-Zoom out toggle when customizing your pilot and titan
-Rework of the customization UI so that challenges are not blocking the skin/camo preview
-Auto-kick for idle players. Frustrating to see in LTS. Warning at 15 sec and kick at 20? Matches are short so the quicker the better

OneUh8

got this on pc and not ps4 becuase of my preference. hope i dont regret that considering player count. that said, loving it so far.

Animator

Those of you having trouble in MP getting kills switch to an smg and just hip fire. Aiming down sights gets you killed fast in this game.

I'm sure PC numbers will pick up. I bought physical copy today and it's one of those games with no disc in it- box has a code in it and you DL it from Origin with the code.

Still hasn't finished downloading

Izuna

Banned
Do people playing on PC use controllers?

I've been thinking about this... Titan combat doesn't benefit too much from m+kb on certain Titans. Not saying I'd like m+kb on consoles, but I wouldn't mind play with PC TitanGAF at some point (I don't have a proper m+kb setup and I wanna keep practicing with controller).

Compsiox

Banned
I've been thinking about this... Titan combat doesn't benefit too much from m+kb on certain Titans. Not saying I'd like m+kb on consoles, but I wouldn't mind play with PC TitanGAF at some point (I don't have a proper m+kb setup and I wanna keep practicing with controller).

I'm only asking because I feel that the wall running and similar things wouldn't control well with mouse and keyboard.

tesqui

Bounty Hunter is a lot of fun!

Also getting shot down when you're otw to the bank carrying 300 dollars is so heartbreaking. What's even worse is rushing back after respawn hoping you can sneak in then you see 2 enemy titans guarding it. Dead.

Izuna

Banned
I'm only asking because I feel that the wall running and similar things wouldn't control well with mouse and keyboard.

Oh no it would be MUCH better with k+kb. Especially since air control requires you to strafe in that direction. I still haven't got used to that shit (frankly, I hate it haha).

Are the clan numbers dependent on region? I only have 4 online on Titangaf/

Nah, but I think if you invite the network it only pops up if they're in the same region.

Goddamn, already to the population numbers watching stage. I wonder how badly this bombed given the other topic and some of the comments here. I hope Respawn has an aggressive DLC support plan in mind. Launching today was absolutely nuts.

I think the game is just too smart and too complex for the mass market unfortunately. Battlefield had the same problem but overcame it with marketing.

Theres a lot more involved in being good than there is for call of duty.

Gears of war has the same problem. What makes it good also makes casual players not care because they don't get it and quit when they lose.

RE: player numbers, weren't there people talking about not having received their copies from Amazon today?

Also, Bounty Hunt is indeed the shit

Played my first Coliseum match. 3-0. The guy said "gg" in chat afterwards, which made me just feel bad.
Yes, over half of our 5-man party during Happy Hour was using controllers. They still performed very well, getting top score sometimes and keeping up with the KB+M users.

3DShovel

Game is so good. Something bad ass happening around every corner. I hope the population sticks around. Game is very solid and I can't wait to play more!

Also, the guns feel so good.

The Dude

What titan tips do you guys have to offer? It seems instantly I have someone on me in seconds in my titan. I see guys getting 100+ points, is that all kills or are people just making it a point to kill all NPCs to rack points up?

It's sad, I'm a good shooter gamer but man I'm garbage in this, pure shit

Some things I would like to see in a patch

-FoV slider on consoles. The HIGHEST OF PRIORITY, Respawn :D
-Zoom out toggle when customizing your pilot and titan
-Rework of the customization UI so that challenges are not blocking the skin/camo preview
-Auto-kick for idle players. Frustrating to see in LTS. Warning at 15 sec and kick at 20? Matches are short so the quicker the better

FoV slider is never going to happen on console no matter how much bold red text you use, sorry.

I do and I have been doing pretty great actually, never feels like I die because of someone being on keyboard on mouse. I even beat a you tuber I recognized lol

Been loving this, Single Player and now Multiplayer wise. BF1 and TF2 have been awesome. I'm sticking to Attrition though, bounty hunt is neat but I like the flow better in attrition. Wish most modes had AI too, tbh I wish they would stick non AI modes in a single playlist, to me every normal Titanfall mode should have AI.

Also wait is it really only 10,000 people online on PC already? jeez :/

FoV slider is never going to happen on console no matter how much bold red text you use, sorry.
Battlefield 1 has it. Having more options doesn't hurt

I really like Ronin but his core ability kinda sucks. It doesn't do enough damage to warrant you to get up in another Titan's face and unleash your sword on them.

Played a couple levels of campaign and got to level 5 or 6 in multi in between all the things I had to do today. I have to say as critical as I was of the alpha, I love this game. Maybe it's coming off of the Infinite Warfare beta, but this game just feels so good. So glad I'm able to enjoy Titanfall once again, now on PS4 (sold my Xbox a couple years ago). It's just a shame to me this game won't get the attention and sales it deserves. I wonder what they define as a "region", I'm in the Southeastern US and it showed a little over 23,000 online.

The Dude

I think I gotta let it go. I just am raging like a 10 year old. Every match everyone plays like it's been out for 2 years and know every nook and cranny, just getting decimated by the cod crowd like I always do. I know some will say it doesn't feel like call of duty but it so does, even throwing grenades has that wonky cod feel. I just feel like respawn wanted to capture the popularity of black ops 3, how could they not on terms of sales etc... And I guarantee if I toss in original titanfall I'll be amazed at how different it feels. And yea like above said, to much shit going on... I mean in attrition do we really need reapers also? Just I dunno...think I wasted 60 on it, I hope not but I just raged out and fired up Battlefield and life is good again lol

I mean In this last match I ran behind the smaller titan in my ion and I beat the fuck out of him, in original you could really Jack people up with titan melee and the just turn around and my health is gone in seconds... What in the fuck

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What a fantastic campaign, enjoyed every minute of that. Hell, if I play more of the multiplayer and end up not feeling it as much as TF1 I still feel I had my moneys worth easily. Nice amount of variety and many cool moments. Love the banter between BT and Jack as well, some dialogue genuinely made me chuckle out loud.

I think I gotta let it go. I just am raging like a 10 year old. Every match everyone plays like it's been out for 2 years and know every nook and cranny, just getting decimated by the cod crowd like I always do. I know some will say it doesn't feel like call of duty but it so does, even throwing grenades has that wonky cod feel. I just feel like respawn wanted to capture the popularity of black ops 3, how could they not on terms of sales etc... And I guarantee if I toss in original titanfall I'll be amazed at how different it feels. And yea like above said, to much shit going on... I mean in attrition do we really need reapers also? Just I dunno...think I wasted 60 on it, I hope not but I just raged out and fired up Battlefield and life is good again lol

I mean In this last match I ran behind the smaller titan in my ion and I beat the fuck out of him, in original you could really Jack people up with titan melee and the just turn around and my health is gone in seconds... What in the fuck

I just don't see where the black ops 3 comparison really is other than wall running and even then, BO3's wall running feels awful to me compared to TF2s. I think Maps are really where a lot of the problems are, to me the movement is still just as good as ever but some of the maps are a bit eh compared to the ones in Titanfall 1. Still I'm having an absolute blast with this game, especially compared to the past couple years of CoD and what I tried of the IW beta.

Top Bottom