• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Haines

Banned
So how does the batteries work?

We start with none but can steal them from the bounty titans?

I'm honestly not sure where batteries come from. We don't start with one and when we get one we get a shield?

I realize I can google this and I will try now.

I.It would just like to have a discussion on them bc the game doesn't make sense to me when I play it and I can't be the only one.

Tengrave

Game is everything I wanted it to be. Best campaign I've played in awhile. The only thing that feels weird is Attrition. The amount of bots feels way less and contained to certain spots on the map. I thought our minion kill count averages were higher in TF1. I might be wrong.

Izuna

Banned

I'm honestly not sure where batteries come from. We don't start with one and when we get one we get a shield?

Pilots pull them from Titans they Rodeo. They will then carry them on their backs (if they die they drop it).

A Pilot with a Battery can pop one into their own Titan or someone else's for a Shield + Health Recovery.

In Last Titan Standing, they pop up on the map.

There is a Boost where 80% of your Titan build % gives you a free Battery.

This is for all Titans btw, Bounty and other the team's

The Dude

https://youtu.be/H33gTuFHHQg

I watched that for reference and I felt the original was fast paced and chaotic but it was still in the realm of feeling more mech based.. This match resembled alot of my attrition matches in terms of it feeling like it's own game rather than cod with mechs because you weren't running into other pilots "as much" on ground. In tf2 I feel like I'm having a normal cod match with a little mech stuff involved, maybe some feel the same, most seem to not feel the same but that video is what I miss

Jarrod38

zsWoT51.gif

I can't get over how good this is and how much of an improvement it is from the first tech test.

It feels very different to TF1 but somehow very familiar. It's so strange, it's such a beautiful evolution.

Ok im in love, returning this to redbox and buying it later tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa8wJc7X2Gw

First time i have been motivated to upload a mp clip other than general streaming.

I barely have time to get good at these types of games anymore but even if I don't play well there's always a moment In a match that makes me not care cause its just so much fun

I can't get over how good this is and how much of an improvement it is from the first tech test.

It feels very different to TF1 but somehow very familiar. It's so strange, it's such a beautiful evolution.

The campaign does a great job of making the player appreciate the changes to the feel of the game

I realize I can google this and I will try now.

I.It would just like to have a discussion on them bc the game doesn't make sense to me when I play it and I can't be the only one.
I believe you can steal them from enemy titans who are rodeod for the first time. Like I think being the first to rodeo a Titan generates a battery.

They are also spawned via a certain boost and I think you can steal them from the Bounty titans too.

Izuna

Banned
So we have 1 buts installing the second one that gives us the shield?

If a Pilot takes a battery from your Titan, it hurts your Titan. If you kill that pilot and put the same battery in, you get a shield.

Don't think about that too much.

If a Pilot takes a battery from your Titan, it hurts your Titan. If you kill that pilot and put the same battery in, you get a shield.

Don't think about that too much.

Does putting the battery into a friendly Titan regen their health? I did that but I have no idea what benefits it had

Yeah, it does the same thing to them as it would do if you put it in your own.

--

BTW, each of these actions gives you a big boost to getting your Titan.

That's a smart addition. I did get a Titan almost immediately after doing it

Izuna

Banned
Does putting the battery into a friendly Titan regen their health? I did that but I have no idea what benefits it had

Yeah, it does the same thing to them as it would do if you put it in your own.

--

BTW, each of these actions gives you a big boost to getting your Titan.

TheMan

i've played a couple of hours of the SP campaign, and I gotta say, it's been pretty overrated. It' by no means bad, but blowing my mind it aint.

Thanks for raising this. I haven't had any LTS games go to time yet but will be on the lookout.

Awesome
Thanks for the reply

I've had quite a few matches go to time within the last two days on PS4. I would say its fairly common. Was the reason for the shorter timer to prevent people from hiding and force a fight?

soultron

Banned
Fuck me, the chapter I just finished brings a damn tear to my eye. If it can maintain this level of quality it's going to be my GOTY.

OVDRobo

How's everyone feeling about the Titan classes so far?

Here's my thoughts:

Ion - Decent all-rounder. Can melt enemies with its zoomed in shots and pick off pilots pretty well. Really good at shredding dumb enemies that keep firing without realizing your shield is going to throw everything back at them, but outclassed by situational titans in most situations
Scorch - Great damage but really clunky. If you miss a shot and haven't already set the enemy's angle of attack aflame, you're probably going to get destroyed badly. Decent at anti-pilot.
Northstar - Really good if you're backed up by a friendly titan or two. Awful if engaging solo and not great at anti-pilot combat since you need to snipe fast, small targets (or land a good cluster missile). Even the ability to tether enemy titans down is hit-or-miss and flying does pretty much nothing for dissengaging since it's not fast enough to avoid anything.
Ronin - Absolutely awful at most non-1v1 situations, but really fun to play. Most engagements are border-suicidal flurries of phase-dashing, shotgunning and swinging a sword frantically hoping the enemy dies before you do, if you haven't been half-killed by the time you make it close enough to do any damage. Even when you do win, you usually get by almost destroyed. It really shines in ambush situations when you flank an enemy titan that is engaging a friendly titan since you can destroy them incredibly quickly, but it takes a lot of effort to make work.
Tone - Borderline overpowered, especially in 1v1. The deployable shield, the missile barrage, the ability to gain lock on through sonar, the decent mobility and the solid main gun makes it so you can get through a lot of 1v1 conflicts almost unscathed if you play it right. I've engaged plenty of annoying tones that deploy a shield and barrage me until it's destroyed or run out, then boost away until it's back up. Irritating to deal with.
Legion - A really solid titan with awful mobility. It's a one-trick pony that can be circumvented by things like a skillfully played Ronin or Northstar, but in a gun-off, it's probably going to come out the winner against all things except maybe a Tone, especially because of that turret-shield.

Note that I'm talking about my experience on PS4. Maybe Northstar is a lot better on the PC thanks to the better aiming.

My go-to for now are a mix of Ion, Northstar, Ronin and Tone based on my mood and how much I want to win. Looking to lock it down to 2 or 3 maximum, but they're all pretty fun except Legion which is too clunky for me

Ensoul

I was lukewarm about this game after a few matches but I am loving it now. I do have a major concern about the drop off of players after COD comes out on Friday.

Argonomic

Awesome
Thanks for the reply

I've had quite a few matches go to time within the last two days on PS4. I would say its fairly common. Was the reason for the shorter timer to prevent people from hiding and force a fight?

I was entirely focused on campaign for the last half the project so I do not know the specific reason.

Based on my experience in TiFa1 I argued that LTS, when played by experienced players, was highly defensive and often went to time (even with the longer clocks). As a player I am excited to see the central battery mechanic and lower clock.

Kade

Origin is giving me too much trouble so I just give up. It logs me out randomly and says "Your session has expired", when I log back in I can't access the friends list and trying to launch the game just closes the Origin window and reopens it to the "Your game is ready!" screen. When the game does launch, I can't accept or send invites and can't join matches. Only started happening around 7PM. Hopefully this shit is resolved tomorrow. I'm assuming the service can't handle the load of two exclusives launching within a week of each other.

Dominator

Don't really care for the Titans in online so I've just been playing Pilot v Pilot. You die so damn fast lol, feels quicker than CoD. But shit if it isn't fun as hell. Loving it.

Izuna

Banned
Don't really care for the Titans in online so I've just been playing Pilot v Pilot. You die so damn fast lol, feels quicker than CoD. But shit if it isn't fun as hell. Loving it.

After seeing my nephew play I'm beginning to accept that this mode needed to happen for CoD players. I hope they see the light over time though.

Anyone have an issue with the first time online authentication? I have a friend who just got the game and every time he tries to start it up the game kicks him out with an error saying the connection cannot be established.

Izuna

Banned
Take TF2. Overwatch replaced the valve game anyway.

Sad!

What about when TF2 gets an update, though?

case in point

I'll do my part and do Tf2 -- low chance it catches on, but at least with context it's understood and will match if it ever overtakes Team Fortress' abbreviation.

See the light in what? Playing other modes?

That Titans and Pilots make a great game together.

I really wish Skirmish wasn't a buried mode. Seems like it'd be the perfect bridge mode.

I was entirely focused on campaign for the last half the project so I do not know the specific reason.

Based on my experience in TiFa1 I argued that LTS, when played by experienced players, was highly defensive and often went to time (even with the longer clocks). As a player I am excited to see the central battery mechanic and lower clock.

I had the opposite experience! lol Though I was on the 360 and going to time was somewhat of a rare occurrence, I feel.

Thanks for the insight!

SkylineRKR

Switched Ronin out for Tone and my game ramped up. Tone is easy to use. Hang back, get shots in for lock on, fire rockets. Put down a shield if desired too. I generally suck with Titans still and with Tone i'm doing good so I'd say he's OP. I think the shield should be dropped.

With Ronin I had issues getting close (because most opponents will be either Tone or Legion), I lose navigation when phase dashing and melee is somewhat unclear too because of FPS. Mashing and hope for the best is exactly how I played him. I liked the Sword finish though. Shotgun is good anti pilot, esp. with ricochet you'll still frag soldiers going inside.

And yea Ion is fun too. Had triple kills with that return to sender stuff.

B00TE

gg's pc gaf, that login mess during happy hour was something, heh. Got some red camo finally, guess I should use stim to go even fastaaaaa.

Was messing with Tone, did alright but the style just doesn't gel with me. Got some nice long range kills though, but it felt better to me to laser snipe. Gonna try legion when I'm on next.

Dominator

That Titans and Pilots make a great game together.

I really wish Skirmish wasn't a buried mode. Seems like it'd be the perfect bridge mode.
I don't think they make a bad game, I just don't care for the Titan mayhem personally. I played Titanfall 1 a decent amount with the Titan modes.

Oh yeah

Dh2O9kr.jpg

Edit: OK so Pilot weapon attachment's do not reset. Nor do skins and cosmetic elements. You also don't lose the 'level' of your weapon.

You have to unlock your Ordinance, kits, and weapons though.

As for Titans, you just have to unlock them again. They keep their level and all loadout options.

eizarus

Banned
Just gonna put this out there: Tone is bae. I get why a lot of people in this thread love Ronin, but sorry guys it's your inner-weabo blinding you from the Tone-zone.

I'm only at level 13 right now (haven't touched single player) and this is hands down my favourite FPS this gen.

Top Bottom