• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigace33

lol I love this game. Level 16 and I was in a few Hardpoint matches with all level 30 and above guys. My team had like 3 Gen level guys and I still finished first in overall production. This is why respawn games were so popular because noobs can have fun even while playing against "pros".

I have become a goddamn serial killer with the Hemlock. Went on an undefeated streak in CTF with some buddies where I don't think I had a +/- worse than +10, and a high of +22.

Also, am I the only one that vastly, vastly prefers the slaved rockets to the multi-lock-on rockets? They seem to do a lot more cumulative damage for me.

Argonomic

Have you guys ever considered that Respawn intentionally does NOT want hardpoint to be a "hold" gameplay type of flow?

The issue with 75pt hold was that it rewarded you for not playing the mode. To be #1 on the scoreboard you just needed to run to the least contested friendly hard point and hang out there, preferably hiding in a corner with satchels and DMT armed. If you died you just needed to get back to a base and start hiding again.

You could literally surf the web on another machine while you looked for movement out of the corner of your eye, and consistently get 3k+ defend points.

Whether or not 25pts is the final resting point depends on how it plays out. It's more effective to iterate in the wild than it is locally.

OverHeat

« generous god »
lol at the skillz of players on PC, Im playing with a controller.
itqrW3c.jpg

Origin ID: K2OverHeat

Bessy67

I have become a goddamn serial killer with the Hemlock. Went on an undefeated streak in CTF with some buddies where I don't think I had a +/- worse than +10, and a high of +22.

Also, am I the only one that vastly, vastly prefers the slaved rockets to the multi-lock-on rockets? They seem to do a lot more cumulative damage for me.

I prefer slaved rockets to multi-lock, but cluster missles are the best IMO.

lol I love this game. Level 16 and I was in a few Hardpoint matches with all level 30 and above guys. My team had like 3 Gen level guys and I still finished first in overall production. This is why respawn games were so popular because noobs can have fun even while playing against "pros".

Higher generations don't necessarily mean higher player skill. It just means higher play time. I'm almost gen 3 and I'm pretty average.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The issue with 75pt hold was that it rewarded you for not playing the mode. To be #1 on the scoreboard you just needed to run to the least contested friendly hard point and hang out there, preferably hiding in a corner with satchels and DMT armed. If you died you just needed to get back to a base and start hiding again.

You could literally surf the web on another machine while you looked for movement out of the corner of your eye, and consistently get 3k+ defend points.

Whether or not 25pts is the final resting point depends on how it plays out. It's more effective to iterate in the wild than it is locally.

I'm curious, but are modes like Search and Destroy or other modes where one team is on the offense while the other is on defense in the works? That way, you can satisfy people who want to play both styles.

BIGWORM

So, what are you guys' favorite Titan loadout looking like? I use the Tank with the Chaingun, Vortex, Lock-ons, Nuclear eject, and the Regen Booster, I think. I really don't like the other primary weapons. I think the chaingun is best for sniping critical hits after shield.

Bessy67

So, what are you guys' favorite Titan loadout looking like? I use the Tank with the Chaingun, Vortex, Lock-ons, Nuclear eject, and the Regen Booster, I think. I really don't like the other primary weapons. I think the chaingun is best for sniping critical hits after shield.

Stryder with triple threat, electric smoke, cluster missile, dash quickcharger and titan punch.

I have two fairly similar loadouts that bounce back and forth between based on what I'm feeling, what mechs/weapons my teammates are using, and what mechs/weapons the other team is using. X0-Chaingun if most of the other enemies are using Atlas' or Striders and some of my teammates are using rail-guns or quad-rockets. 40MM cannon if most of the enemies are using Atlas' or Ogres, and most of my team are using Chainguns or Triple Threat.

I only use the Atlas though. I like the mix of speed and armor, and it's well suited to the mid-range style I play. I basically treat the Titan combat like Halo, using positioning and the environment for my advantage, and always aware of when to back off and recharge. I've gone through entire matches without losing a Titan, simply because I'm willing to retreat, recharge, reacquire and re-engage on my terms. Plus the Damage Core is just MONEY.

LOADOUT 1:

ATLAS
X0-16 Chaingun w/ Extended Mag
Vortex Shield
Slaved Warheads
Regen Booster
Core Extender

LOADOUT 2

ATLAS
40MM Cannon w/ Extended Mag
Vortex Shield
Slaved Warheads
Regen Booster
Core Extender

Olaf

Banned
I've logged over 20 hours for this game, have 700/1000 GS, have gone to gen 2 after finally getting the achievement for Unlock Everything and I still have no clue how to use satchel charges.

Special C

Another systemic solution for a team that just farms one hardpoint would be to have a potential xp gain that is divided by the quantity of people holding it. If one person is holding a point they get +75; if three people are holding it they get +25.

I like this idea. Personally I cap A/C then go for C/A. After that initially, I defend the handprint I'm at if we have over half, then go on the offensive until we have at least 2 again.

Is anyone else a bit sad this isn't grabbing you like COD4/MW2 did?

Put 100s of hours in to those both but this, whilst fun, just isn't giving me the same "One more match, one more loadout" feel.

The Cowboy

And here in lies a problem, it seems like you've punished the people who played the mode correctly whilst aiming at the people not playing it correctly. Defending a point in hard point is a proper aspect of the game type, not everyone who stayed at a point was not playing the mode, they where in fact, playing the mode correctly (defending a point is part of this type of mode). its good to know your seeing how it plays out, but to me you've simply removed/massively reduced the incentive for people to defend an objective by making it far more rewarding (attacking gives way more than defending now) to simply capture a point and run off to the next one without defending the one you just got (why bother defending a point for small potatoes, when you can attack a point for a whole potato farm).

This also doesn't explain all the CTF point changes, you've explained the hard point one was done to cut out people not playing the mode (I'm sure this wasn't the only reason), yet in CTF you also cut flag carrier kills and flag returns (as well as defending the flag area). I'm glad your trying to balance the game modes (the points did need adjusting a bit), but I feel no game should ever balance game modes based on the small amount of players who abuse the system (which seems to be an aspect of these recent point changes)..

Just got the game, played for a couple of hours. I really don't see a reason to use any other titan besides the tank one. It seems like most people will just sit there and duke out with you, and why wouldn't you want the extra health? Also, default scope for carbine is awful, I unlocked the other two and it made aiming much easier.

Shiiiiiit. All I use is the Stryder. Give it some time and you'll see.

KePoW

Banned

I fully agree with you guys.

Obviously there will be people with differing opinions on both sides, but I hope you guys keep it this way. I prefer the game flow better since the change.

(I could maybe see upping the point value to 40, but not more than that IMO.)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Put 100s of hours in to those both but this, whilst fun, just isn't giving me the same "One more match, one more loadout" feel.

It really doesn't. I'm not sure if it's the lower weapon count/customization, or the fact that it's 6v6 and feels really empty a lot of the time. It's a well designed game, but it just doesn't have the same pull.

While I agree with you, in that case those guys were probably all in a party so there's nothing they could've really done anyway

It could have matched them up with another 5 man party, the MM in the game is a mess and with no balancing between games you can just farm anyone stupid enough to stick around.

It really doesn't. I'm not sure if it's the lower weapon count/customization, or the fact that it's 6v6 and feels really empty a lot of the time. It's a well designed game, but it just doesn't have the same pull..

I personally feel that it's a mixture of:

A) The AI enemies aren't fun/satisfying to kill and are obstacles to what I want to be doing (fighting real people)
B) There's not a lot of weapons and it's obviously not so much a gun focused game (traversal/Titans etc).
C) The cards don't change up your play style as much as perks do because they're one round only.

As you said, it is a very well designed game and I do love the traversal/Titans, but I was expecting it to really hook me and it hasn't.

KePoW

Banned
And here in lies a problem, it seems like you've punished the people who played the mode correctly whilst aiming at the people not playing it correctly. Defending a point in hard point is a proper aspect of the game type, not everyone who stayed at a point was not playing the mode, they where in fact, playing the mode correctly (defending a point is part of this type of mode). its good to know your seeing how it plays out, but to me you've simply removed/massively reduced the incentive for people to defend an objective by making it far more rewarding (attacking gives way more than defending now) to simply capture a point and run off to the next one without defending the one you just got (why bother defending a point for small potatoes, when you can attack a point for a whole potato farm).

Who's to define "correctly"??

The devs, not you. Titanfall is a different game, you should not assume every FPS out there should be the exact same.

I like using the atlas, 40mm gun, particle wall, cluster rockets, punch, and the movement cooldown reduction.

Basically, I drop particle wall and fire off rockets immediately so if they wall up they can't stand behind it due to cluster rockets. I also use the cluster rockets to make my particle wall damage them if they want to run through it. I punch if they try to get close and if they are near ledges. I also try to use the wall as a shield for retreating.

Pjsprojects

So today I noticed while waiting to join campaign that a little message in the top right corner said I was joining an Xbox live server, thought this was odd seeing as I'm on PC???

Are the servers shared?

The Cowboy

Who's to define "correctly"??

The devs, not you. Titanfall is a different game, you should not assume every FPS out there should be the exact same.
No, I shouldn't, but when its a capture game type like hard point or CTF, its pretty easy to know how to define "correctly" - its not exactly hard to understand that defending is a correct aspect of the game type.

If the devs think defending a flag or hard point isn't playing correctly (I'm sure they do think it is correct to defend), then I would really fear for the game in the long run.

KePoW

Banned
No, I shouldn't, but when its a capture game type like hard point or CTF, its pretty easy to know how to define "correctly" - its not exactly hard to understand that defending is a correct aspect of the game type.

If the devs think defending a flag or hard point isn't playing correctly (I'm sure they do think it is correct to defend), then I would really fear for the game in the long run.

I'm pretty sure this one point change will not have any bearing on the long run of the game. As you've seen by all the responses, there are plenty of players on both sides.

Personally I hated the fact that campers could get 3k+ points before, so I didn't like that at all. Wouldn't that make the game bad for me & others before?

It's not like there is a 100% consensus on the issue.

So today I noticed while waiting to join campaign that a little message in the top right corner said I was joining an Xbox live server, thought this was idd seeing as I'm on PC???

Are the servers shared?

Yes they are.

The server configs are probably slightly different but we are using the same Xbox Live servers that the Xbone and 360's versions use.

The Cowboy

I'm pretty sure this one point change will not have any bearing on the long run of the game. As you've seen by all the responses, there are plenty of players on both sides.

Personally I hated the fact that campers could get 3k+ points before, so I didn't like that at all. Wouldn't that make the game bad for me & others before?

It's not like there is a 100% consensus on the issue.
Campers ruin the games for all players, but here's the thing - defending in a capture and defend game type (domination and CTF) isn't always camping, it can also be defending.

I also didn't like the fact a player could do nothing in a game and get rewarded for it, but you don't fix that by making a big change (and the point reduction was quite big) that also effects the people actually playing the game and defending an area by making it not worth while to do.

Balance is required (again, I also think the points needed adjustment), and I think the change went way beyond balance.
-
Here is a CTF example I just spotted.
You have a player with 7 flag returns, 11 pilot kills, 3 titan kills and 4 deaths placed lower than a player with 1 flag capture, no flag returns, 7 pilot kills, 1 titan kill and 10 deaths - this to me just isn't right as the flag defend to me clearly helped more (by defending the teams flag and making sure it was ready for flag captures).

E92 M3

Complete opposite. When I am not frustrated, I can play this game for hours and still want to keep going. It's like crack.

Dabanton

It is for me.

Just had a beautifully crazy run of matches where people were using the roofs and wallrunning all over the place CoD could never gave me that kind of grace of movement or control.

The Cowboy

This close to launch, it sure as shit is. You have to be really ripping it up to be getting Gens that fast.
it doesn't matter how long the game has been out - right now you can have 2 players with the exact same play time and have 1 be gen 8 level 46 (number plucked from the sky) and the other can be any lower gen and lower level (as long as its past gen 1 level 50).

The only time you can really tell if someone has more playtime than another, is during the 1st gen.

Roflobear

I think I found a great way to kill pilots that are ejecting. It really only works against titans that aren't using nuclear ejection (and you are a Titan yourself). Once you doom a Titan, make sure you're close enough for melee and wait for the ejection animation from the enemy titan. As soon as that happens, punch it and you should be able to catch the pilot as soon as he's ejecting. It's worked like three or four times in a row for me when I was trying to make it happen. If they happen to have nuclear ejection though you gotta book it really fast lol

The kill distance of the shotgun can get a little irritating at times.

A little?!

All the supposedly short-range weapons have stupidly powerful distance IMO. If you meet anybody within 40 feet with an assault rifle, you're probably at a disadvantage, which is a little ridiculous.

On the other hand, because the maps are so large and there's so much verticality, there's plenty of opportunity for AR users such as myself to keep interactions at mid-to-long range.

In other words, I guess you could argue the effective range of all the weapons has been stretched out, and it just takes some time to get used to the new 'rules'.

MaGlock

People are getting smarter against nuclear ejection makes me sad. Used to love suiciding into a group of enemy titans and doing some damage now everyone seems to book it haha

It really amazes me if you run with your friends the better the game is.

Absolutely.

I only run with friends (at least 2, many times a full party of 6) and I have a 75% win percentage. The game is so much better when you have people calling out enemy positions, Titan positions, warning you to back off or calling you for support, etc.

People are getting smarter against nuclear ejection makes me sad. Used to love suiciding into a group of enemy titans and doing some damage now everyone seems to book it haha

Rotfl I know. Pisses me off

But on the flip side I book it faster then anyone when I see a Titan exploding.

Had when your Titan is about to blow up and u eject and hit a roof and fall right into the explosion lol

LOL, I never used that ability. But to be fair, people eventually learned how to avoid Martyrdom in COD4 too. :p

The Cowboy

Now you have to force them into a corner/block them in for it to work, I loved it at the start when people weren't to aware of it coming - but now I find I'm using other things instead (dash recharge on Stryders for example).

Dabanton

Even better if you have the extended nuke explosion burn card use that I have that as a backup when I get my Titan I had about 6 of them in my pack. No escape from that. If I know I'm doomed I'll run at the enemy's before I stand still.

MaGlock

Now you have to force them into a corner/block them in for it to work, I loved it at the start when people weren't to aware of it coming - but now I find I'm using other things instead (dash recharge on Stryders for example).

Yeah that's the best way now. I use that stryder set up for ctf. Fastest way to cap a flag by the time the other team realizes what's happening to them your 3/4th of the way back to the capture point and no one's catching up.

Dabanton

It really amazes me if you run with your friends the better the game is.

Or people just talking. I've made a concerted effort to get people on my team talking in my matches.

Had a 7 game run where my team were talking to each other timing our Titans. And calling out enemy's. We had it so any enemy Titan landing was destroyed immediately which meant the opposition were constantly on the back foot and couldn't land a Titan together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom