• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wouldn't mind a "Quake" mode. For me, Parkour combat is the best part of Titanfall.

Started work on the plasma railgun challenges today. Oh boy, this gun is super fun about 10% of the time and a chore the other 90%. I found it clicked when I started treating it like a sniper rifle and getting spotted by other Titans in 1v1 situation as time to bail.

Is the instant charge upgrade better or worse for knocking off the challenges?

SMG is a cakewalk (I'm at III or IV for it already at level 15) and satchels should just be good old-fashioned fun.

HoodWinked

Started work on the plasma railgun challenges today. Oh boy, this gun is super fun about 10% of the time and a chore the other 90%. I found it clicked when I started treating it like a sniper rifle and getting spotted by other Titans in 1v1 situation as time to bail.

Is the instant charge upgrade better or worse for knocking off the challenges?

SMG is a cakewalk (I'm at III or IV for it already at level 15) and satchels should just be good old-fashioned fun.

its way better. having to zoom charge prevents you from running, dashing, and obstructs your vision. the precharged railgun you can treat like a terrible 40mm.

im starting to enjoy it more now, i dont the maps name but its a factory at night, i like that map best so far.
anyone else find it useless to shoot titans with rockets? i have more success just mounting them. also can anyone give me tip about how to deal with a pilot mounted on your titan

HoodWinked

im starting to enjoy it more now, i dont the maps name but its a factory at night, i like that map best so far.
anyone else find it useless to shoot titans with rockets? i have more success just mounting them. also can anyone give me tip about how to deal with a pilot mounted on your titan

that map is likely airbase.

best strat for killing titans on foot is to use arc grenades to wipe out the shields then use the sidewinder or mag launcher to do direct damage to the hull.

obviously to counter mounting pilots you can use the electric smoke. less known is to use cluster missile to damage yourself and the pilot in the splash. also if you back your titan into a wall and look up pilots cant dismount so if you use either of the above strats in combination they're dead.

personally i dont like smoke or cluster missile so i just jump out of my titan at the first sound of them mounting on. turn on cloak right as i exit my titan and aim for the spot that they would be (left of center on atlas titans).

Special C

It bothers me when I see people with Titans in Guard mode or follow mode in Attrition. It's a viable tactic in any other mode, but in attrition you are basically giving the enemy free points. It's important to keep that Titan Alive.

Working on getting to gen4 at the moment. Addicted to this game completely...but still wish we'd have heard something by now about those free dlc updates/season pass stuff. Don't plan on dropping more money till I know what I'm getting.

Also does anyone think that Respawn will add extra gens/something to work toward after gen10. Game seems really easy to rank up in and I have a feeling a lot of people will be close to 10 by the time the second season pass dlc is out.

neurophd

i just bought it yesterday so im playing everything. some times im just wandering around looking for people but all i see are bots.

This is why I prefer objective based modes, they seem to focus the action. Whereas with COD I usually prefer deathmatch modes. I recently started playing CTF, great showcase for the games mechanics. I presume they will be releasing more modes, I hope they focus on modes that foster the pursuit/protect moments. Team oddball-like mode would be rad.

TrueGrime

It bothers me when I see people with Titans in Guard mode or follow mode in Attrition. It's a viable tactic in any other mode, but in attrition you are basically giving the enemy free points. It's important to keep that Titan Alive.

Yup. Those little bastards like to leave their titan out like that for bait. I'll take a couple of shots at the auto titan and wait for hits coming elsewhere and then pop their little bodies with my 40mm boomstick.

Kalm

MS Support said:
Are you experiencing connectivity issues when trying to play Titanfall? Our team is engaged and working to find a fix right now!

@Titanfallgame said:
Microsoft is working on a few Xbox Live issues that may be affecting your ability to play Titanfall.

Of course this had to happen on my only off-day this week. :(

TrueGrime

i just bought it yesterday so im playing everything. some times im just wandering around looking for people but all i see are bots.

Here's a tip. At lvl 5 you'll be able to use the minion detector tier 2 kit. Minions are small circles on the radar and pilots are big circles. You won't get but a glance at times to distinguish but it's good to see where the flow of battle is/is coming from as well as identification of enemies.

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers? I've been stuck on attempting connection for about 15 minutes. Tried restarting console and switching data centers to no avail.

that map is likely airbase.

best strat for killing titans on foot is to use arc grenades to wipe out the shields then use the sidewinder or mag launcher to do direct damage to the hull.

obviously to counter mounting pilots you can use the electric smoke. less known is to use cluster missile to damage yourself and the pilot in the splash. also if you back your titan into a wall and look up pilots cant dismount so if you use either of the above strats in combination they're dead.

personally i dont like smoke or cluster missile so i just jump out of my titan at the first sound of them mounting on. turn on cloak right as i exit my titan and aim for the spot that they would be (left of center on atlas titans).
i dont think ive unlocked any of them yet but thanks anyway

This is why I prefer objective based modes, they seem to focus the action. Whereas with COD I usually prefer deathmatch modes. I recently started playing CTF, great showcase for the games mechanics. I presume they will be releasing more modes, I hope they focus on modes that foster the pursuit/protect moments. Team oddball-like mode would be rad.
yeah i usually play conquest or capture the hill in games but attrition is more fun in titanfall when the action gets going imo

Here's a tip. At lvl 5 you'll be able to use the minion detector tier 2 kit. Minions are small circles on the radar and pilots are big circles. You won't get but a glance at times to distinguish but it's good to see where the flow of battle is/is coming from as well as identification of enemies.

yep done that. but sometimes when there is big red circle its a spectre which is kind of confusing

Scanna

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to the servers? I've been stuck on attempting connection for about 15 minutes. Tried restarting console and switching data centers to no avail.

I managed to play a couple of times, but took a couple of resets, definitely having problems

I don't like using the electric smoke or cluster missiles either, but I usually nuclear eject and usually either kill the pilot with the blast if he jumps off or get the jump on him while we're both in the sky.

Tawpgun

So when are we getting a no-titans mode.

Or a search and destroy esque mode. No titans, one life, no grunts/specteres.

These should have been in launch, the game isn't really running on a lot of variety legs right now. Their lucky the combat is still fun.

2San

These should have been in launch, the game isn't really running on a lot of variety legs right now. Their lucky the combat is still fun.
Hopefully with dlc with maps designed around the game mode.

yep done that. but sometimes when there is big red circle its a spectre which is kind of confusing
Big red circles will always be pilots. It was probably a pilot that was using a Spectre Camo burn card. If you didn't know, there's a burn card that makes you look like a Spectre.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't seen this. It's pretty good.
Funny reaction when he says he's using the smart pistol.
KuGsj.gif

Big red circles will always be pilots. It was probably a pilot that was using a Spectre Camo burn card. If you didn't know, there's a burn card that makes you look like a Spectre.

There are burn cards that disguise pilots as spectres.

oh ok thanks. i stopped following titanfall news after the whole bots fiasco but my mate bought it so thought might as well. complete noobs at it now

E92 M3

Hopefully never. Don't take offense, but those modes don't belong in this game and won't add anything to it.

Had a fun moment last night (or early this morning.... whoops, time flies) in Last Titan Standing.

It was 3-on-2 for the other team, but my teammate was a fair ways away on the map. So I was basically trapped with 3 enemies. So I sticking and moving all over the place, using vortex shield and dash to dodge and block, using the time to charge up the slaved rockets and return fire when possible with the chaingun.

I ended up killing one of the titan's with a return volley from the vortex shield, and wore down the other two to no-shields before my team-mate came in from the other side and finished the job.

It's pretty badass hearing an entire team of random people yell 'XBOX RECORD THAT' at once, because they were watching the action in spectator mode, hahaha.

Uh.... why would you want that?

Wouldn't that basically just be COD?

I personally wouldn't mind some kind of 'hardcore' mode with no radar and possibly no cloak though. Everybody just uses suppressed weapons and cloak these days (though I personally like the radar ping ability as well), just because it's so useful/powerful to not show up on radar.

Lima

Hopefully never.

If you want a one life mode, play LTS. The game already has you covered there.

If you want another slow ass mode play hardpoint which fucking sucks in this game since it doesn't really work with the fast gameplay at all.

And why take one of the most fun aspects of the game out which is the Titan combat? Like really what is wrong with you.

Just play some Call of Doodie.

I don't think a one-to-one copy of a Search and Destroy gametype would work in TitanFall. The maps are too big and the movement doesn't lend to S&D's slow nature.

TrueGrime

I don't think a one-to-one copy of a Search and Destroy game would work in TitanFall. The maps are too big and the movement doesn't lend to S&D's slow nature.

Could you imagine trying to plant a fucking bomb at one site for 5 seconds in this game?

Bydobob

I think I’m finally burnt out with this game. Its been over a week long’s obsession and the most fun I’ve had in an online shooter since the days of Quake 3. Respawn deserve so much credit for getting the key ingredients of this type of game right, and for listening and responding in forums like this. We’re in safe hands.

Before I hang up my Carbine though a couple of parting shots. There’s been a lot of chatter about weapon nerfs and buffs but I honestly think the weapons achieve a great balance already. Shotguns should be deadly at close range and melees are risky enough that they damn well should be instant kills when landed. I’m not getting the large hitbox on them either, maybe it’s because I play with mouse and keyboard but I find I have to be pretty accurate to land successfully. The Hemlock is the only weapon I feel could do with a tweak upwards, but I'm sure the stats will be informing Respawn if any changes are needed.

The game is a looker. Controversial I know, but when you’ve got a ton of Titans all smacking shit out of each other, pilots ejecting, pods dropping from the sky and trails of rockets everywhere, without a hitch in performance (on my PC anyway) it’s a real sight to behold. I also think the maps deserve more praise. The buildings are surprisingly complex structures with tons of ways in and out, places to hang and to hide, and after 200 odd matches I’m still nowhere near to learning them properly. God damn, the more I gush about this game the less sure I am of quitting.
Same time tomorrow then?

TrueGrime

I think I’m finally burnt out with this game. Its been over a week long’s obsession and the most fun I’ve had in an online shooter since the days of Quake 3. Respawn deserve so much credit for getting the key ingredients of this type of game right, and for listening and responding in forums like this. We’re in safe hands.

Before I hang up my Carbine though a couple of parting shots. There’s been a lot of chatter about weapon nerfs and buffs but I honestly think the weapons achieve a great balance already. Shotguns should be deadly at close range and melees are risky enough that they damn well should be instant kills when landed. I’m not getting the large hitbox on them either, maybe it’s because I play with mouse and keyboard but I find I have to be pretty accurate to land successfully. The Hemlock is the only weapon I feel could do with a tweak upwards, but I'm sure the stats will be informing Respawn if any changes are needed.

The game is a looker. Controversial I know, but when you’ve got a ton of Titans all smacking shit out of each other, pilots ejecting, pods dropping from the sky and trails of rockets everywhere, without a hitch in performance (on my PC anyway) it’s a real sight to behold. I also think the maps deserve more praise. The buildings are surprisingly complex structures with tons of ways in and out, places to hang and to hide, and after 200 odd matches I’m still nowhere near to learning them properly. God damn, the more I gush about this game the less sure I am of quitting.
Same time tomorrow then?

http://1drv.ms/OSC28y ..this clip is only 7 seconds but it shows how insanely chaotic and fun this game can be.

Tawpgun

Hopefully never. Don't take offense, but those modes don't belong in this game and won't add anything to it.

Sure they would. A search and destroy one is debatable because those are slower gametypes, but I would play a titanless gametype for sure. I love the titan on titan on pilot fights but sometimes I wish it were just pilots

E92 M3

Sure they would. A search and destroy one is debatable because those are slower gametypes, but I would play a titanless gametype for sure. I love the titan on titan on pilot fights but sometimes I wish it were just pilots

I think it sounds cool in theory, but Titanfall is a game designed around the Titan/Pilot dynamic. And it works. They need to play to their strengths; make themselves stand out more as a bastion for people that want a new fresh FPS experience. In all honesty, I don't think the population is that high to be messing around with too many modes. Maybe there is room for one more, but we already have it where certain gametypes are not always filling up. I wish Titanfall had the population of COD - sure as fuck deserves it - but as it stands Respawn need to make sure the population is carefully managed and taken care of.

I'm very worried this game might be deserted by the time fall comes around with all the shooters flooding the market. It happens all the time to any game that's not COD or Battlefield. Hopefully Titanfall will change that. Once Gooser is taken care of (hopefully) I'll resume playing a lot more. Besides that, the game is amazing and I want to see it succeed.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I would have been down with Pilots only until I figured out how to roll in a Titan. Couldn't imagine the game without one right now. The game does need a custom and private option, though, so one could create a no-Titan match if he or she so desired.

Rnr1224

anyone got any tips for getting kills with the Railgun? im tearing my hair out using the thing. just getting to 10 kills to get the instant shot mod is making me mad. any specific chassis or abilities that help getting kills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom