• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roflobear

But my favourite was when I killed 8 pilots and 7 titans. My k/d is pretty average, but I'm very good at destroying titans, I usually have the most titan kills at the and of the round. And it's actually my favourite part of the game.

Yea whenever I get the LMG with the slammer mod, it's all I want to do

In attrition matches, the most pilots I ever killed as 14 and that was with a burn card that revealed all enemy positions. I usually get less than 8 in a match. I see some players get like 25-30 pilot kills consistently all the time. How are these people doing it. Am I really that bad?
no idea but I'm loving your avatar

Coconut

Banned
What if you're working with your team to dominate the specific area?

It's a pour tactic for hard point and attrition game types.

Attrition can be won by farming goons. And hard point is a capture point type game. But a couple titans can completely disrupt that tactic. I'm not saying it's impossible to do your idea but it'll be a lot of work and y'all would need to be Johnny on the spot with anti titan weapons.

But if you want to try that I'd tech yourself out with anti Titan burn cards.

Jito

Banned
It's a pour tactic for hard point and attrition game types.

Attrition can be won by farming goons. And hard point is a capture point type game. But a couple titans can completely disrupt that tactic. I'm not saying it's impossible to do your idea but it'll be a lot of work and y'all would need to be Johnny on the spot with anti titan weapons.

Or just rodeo the Titans.. There really aren't such clear cut tactics in this game and I guess standing around with anti Titan weapons most of the time would get you killed.

Coconut

Banned
Or just rodeo the Titans.. There really aren't such clear cut tactics in this game and I guess standing around with anti Titan weapons most of the time would get you killed.

Only dummies aren't using electric smoke. If you aren't coming from the top your road kill and from there it a face full of electric smoke. Which electric smoke can clear out a hard point, room, or help destroy a drop ship super fast.

TrueGrime

Only dummies aren't using electric smoke. If you aren't coming from the top your road kill and from there it a face full of electric smoke. Which electric smoke can clear out a hard point, room, or help destroy a drop ship super fast.

Learning something new everyday. Didn't even know you could use smoke on the drop ship.

Jito

Banned

Bait the smoke out of them then, they only have one use.

88random

I would murder for the ability to just start a match that didn't count and run around the maps on my own or with friends. The controls are so amazing this would make for hours of fun for me in its own right, just getting to explore them at my leisure. Hmmmm sigh.

I think Respawn said they are goind to add private match feature and I hope it's true. I would really like to fool around and learn the maps. For example, I only recently realized there is an underground section (not the one beneath the main building).

My favourites are Relic, Colony and Angel City:

- Relic because the main building is awesome, with all those corridors and ziplines. And it's great for titan fights.
- Colony, it has great parkour potential and you can move really fast around the buildings.
- Angel City because I really know the ins and outs of the map since I played it a lot in beta.

But really, almost all of the maps are very good. Smuggler's Cove is very fun, on Rise you can do awesome wall runs at the top walls and snipe people with smart pistol, Training ground is good for titan fights. The only one I don't really like is the Nexus. I almost never win there, I never have good scores, it really brings the worst out of me...

Yea whenever I get the LMG with the slammer mod, it's all I want to do

I actually never use LMG, I tried it a few times and I was abysmal so I thought it's just a crap weapon. But now I see a lot of people are saying it's pretty good and you can actually down a titan with only one clip. I think I'm going to give it a second chance.

I usually use satchel tactics. Jump on, shoot it a few times, put both charges on titan, wait for pilot to exit and then jump off and detonate the charges. Than finish it off either with rodeo or mag launcher.

But the quality is so high that it does make up for any perceived lack of content that is there. I've put 80 hours into what they've given us and I'm not stopping any time soon, so I'll gladly take that over a game that ticks every box but doesn't nail the execution and I put it away after a dozen hours.

I feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of this game.

I'm not trying to say that the game isn't missing some extremely important, standard features, though. Where is my Spectator Mode?

I don't mean to come off as complaining due to a lack of content. I am more or less thankful due to other reasons, one would be not having to read complaints about having paid for modes in a "full" retail game.

You're right in that titanfall shines because of quality and I would definitely choose this game over quantity.

Getting too frustrated with this game, it's monotonous. If this is the type of exclusive MS is going to keep pushing then id rather keep my money. Nothing against those that enjoy it, it's just not for me.

Jito

Banned
Getting too frustrated with this game, it's monotonous. If this is the type of exclusive MS is going to keep pushing then id rather keep my money. Nothing against those that enjoy it, it's just not for me.

Never thought I'd see this word being used to describe Titanfall. Care to expand?

Never thought I'd see this word being used to describe Titanfall. Care to expand?

Sure

I find it dull. As I've got older the first person shooter genre has become more and more tedious to me and this game has finally made me lose it totally. I get frustrated, disorientated and a sheer lack of fun feeling even when I go on a kill streak. I feel nothing with this game now, after levelling up to around mid 40s.

The whole stand by for TitanFall aspect has worn off long ago, the visuals are very uninspiring especially for what is supposed to be a upgrade over the 360/PS3 generstion. The weapons don't feel satisfying enough for me. I could go on.

As I said previously , nothing against those who are enjoying it, I won't be saying anymore as I don't want to cause arguments or seem to be trolling (the Xbox gets enough of that )

The Cowboy

How is PC community? Many people playing?
There seems to be no issue with joining a match, but we have no way to see how many people are playing (there is no online stats like BF3/4 or Steam games).

Its not really needed, but it would be nice to have player daily/peak stats.

88random

Sure

I find it dull. As I've got older the first person shooter genre has become more and more tedious to me and this game has finally made me lose it totally. I get frustrated, disorientated and a sheer lack of fun feeling even when I go on a kill streak. I feel nothing with this game now, after levelling up to around mid 40s.

The whole stand by for TitanFall aspect has worn off long ago, the visuals are very uninspiring especially for what is supposed to be a upgrade over the 360/PS3 generstion. The weapons don't feel satisfying enough for me. I could go on.

As I said previously , nothing against those who are enjoying it, I won't be saying anymore as I don't want to cause arguments or seem to be trolling (the Xbox gets enough of that )

I can understand that but it was the opposite for me. I also felt CoD and BF were really tedious (and I've never played them very much) but Titanfall brought me back into the genre, it really feels fresh and fun to me. I'll agree on the weapons complaint. I actually think they are good but except for smart pistol, all weapons are the standard arsenal of any military shooter. I feel like they could have added more creative weapons.

HoodWinked

so as soon as i hit gen 3 (gen 5 now) pretty much only prioritizing the regen challenges and ignoring everything else. like k/d or winning.

gooser challenge straight up sucks. im lvl 40+ and i've only been doing last titan standing since mid lvl 30s and only gotten 18/50.

its funny ill pretty much aim at ejecting pilots with reckless abandon even as other titans are in my face shooting me. but yah its pretty fucking satisfying when you do get one as you watch their awkward canned death animations falling from the sky.

so as soon as i hit gen 3 (gen 5 now) pretty much only prioritizing the regen challenges and ignoring everything else. like k/d or winning.

gooser challenge straight up sucks. im lvl 40+ and i've only been doing last titan standing since mid lvl 30s and only gotten 18/50.

its funny ill pretty much aim at ejecting pilots with reckless abandon even as other titans are in my face shooting me. but yah its pretty fucking satisfying when you do get one as you watch their awkward canned death animations falling from the sky.

do pilot hunter. You don't hurt the team. There are plenty of titan fights, and plenty of opportunities for gooser.

now...if only cloak was eliminated gooser would be so much easier.

Coconut

Banned
Bait the smoke out of them then, they only have one use.

and then what? you are pilot on foot against a piloted titan in an area with a bunch of electrified smoke. on top of that you can hear if a person is on your titan before they pull off the hatch and you get the alert that a pilot is on you. the best time to rodeo a pilot is when you have other friendly titans around you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The whole stand by for TitanFall aspect has worn off long ago
If the game's not for you it's not for you; the genre even may not be. But I just wanted to offer a contrasting perspective.

I like Battlefield 4 a lot, and think it's a ton of fun, visually spectacular, impressively cinematic to play, well-tuned, etc., but that game is the one that made me feel like I might be burnt out on the FPS genre as well. It just wasn't really doing anything for me beyond being an obviously good game that did what it wanted to do very well. Even when playing well, I sort of felt like every minute I was playing might be the last one I found myself enjoying multiplayer shooters and might just want to leave the genre as part of my gaming past.

Within a few minutes of getting Titanfall's core controls down, my interest in the genre was reinvigorated. These couple of weeks post-launch have reminded me of how I felt playing Halo 2 online in its early days, that pure joy of experiencing something dynamic that hadn't existed before. Not just an iteration or a refined version of an existing experience, but something new. Now all I want is more. More of this game, more features added to this game, more games like this, more games in this franchise. More games that experiment with the things that got the genre to this point and direct it where to go next.

Per your quote... I feel like it should have gotten old by now. I'm in the same place as you, level 43ish. It should have gotten old a while ago. But it hasn't. That feeling when you've got under 10 seconds left before it's ready and know what you're planning to do with it, peek out from cover or dash up to a rooftop, aim, and call down your Titan... I honestly don't know what else I'd compare it to in gaming.

The genre may have lost you because of Titanfall, but it got me back.

HoodWinked

do pilot hunter. You don't hurt the team. There are plenty of titan fights, and plenty of opportunities for gooser.

now...if only cloak was eliminated gooser would be so much easier.

thats the thing im not really hurting my team i almost always get top 2 since i still have to push to kill titans to get them to eject.

TrueGrime

If the game's not for you it's not for you; the genre even may not be. But I just wanted to offer a contrasting perspective.

I like Battlefield 4 a lot, and think it's a ton of fun, visually spectacular, impressively cinematic to play, well-tuned, etc., but that game is the one that made me feel like I might be burnt out on the FPS genre as well. It just wasn't really doing anything for me beyond being an obviously good game that did what it wanted to do very well. Even when playing well, I sort of felt like every minute I was playing might be the last one I found myself enjoying multiplayer shooters and might just want to leave the genre as part of my gaming past.

Within a few minutes of getting Titanfall's core controls down, my interest in the genre was reinvigorated. These couple of weeks post-launch have reminded me of how I felt playing Halo 2 online in its early days, that pure joy of experiencing something dynamic that hadn't existed before. Not just an iteration or a refined version of an existing experience, but something new. Now all I want is more. More of this game, more features added to this game, more games like this, more games in this franchise. More games that experiment with the things that got the genre to this point and direct it where to go next.

Per your quote... I feel like it should have gotten old by now. I'm in the same place as you, level 43ish. It should have gotten old a while ago. But it hasn't. That feeling when you've got under 10 seconds left before it's ready and know what you're planning to do with it, peek out from cover or dash up to a rooftop, aim, and call down your Titan, I honestly don't know what else I'd compare it to in gaming.

Well said. I fell the same way.

Per your quote... I feel like it should have gotten old by now. I'm in the same place as you, level 43ish. It should have gotten old a while ago. But it hasn't. That feeling when you've got under 10 seconds left before it's ready and know what you're planning to do with it, peek out from cover or dash up to a rooftop, aim, and call down your Titan... I honestly don't know what else I'd compare it to in gaming.

No argument from me, I totally get where you are coming from, just giving my experiences of the game. Sand goes to zdravkelja's post above too. Whatever my complaints or views, I can see why people would like it.

Tokubetsu

Gen 3 almost Gen 4 (around 2 days+ play time) and I still get giddy when my titan drops and when the climbing into a titan animation starts. It's even better when I'm playing as IMC because I get to hear "Standby for Titanfall" in Spyglass' cool voice.

Especially for Stryders. I love the disorienting animation for getting into a Stryder.

Tokubetsu

I like the animation when the Pilot crosses his arms to get into the Stryder.

My other favorite one is if you jump from above to get into an Atlas. You use the top hatch. Mechs are cool
coRGzCW.gif

antitrop

Gooser change:

http://www.titanfall.com/news/the-gooser-challenge

Based on recent feedback from the community, the Gen 5 challenge requirement "Gooser", requiring players to kill 50 ejecting pilots, will be reduced to 5.

We went a bit too far with this challenge, especially considering the unique conditions that have to be met in order to have the opportunity to get a kill on an ejecting Pilot.

We are aware that some players have already completed the challenge or earned more than the new requirement. We plan to internally note those players so we can recognize their accomplishments in a future game update.

The change to the "Gooser" challenge will go into effect in the near future as part of an upcoming patch, so you still have some time to complete the challenge as it currently stands.

Good news for everyone!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're all good, but the animations of getting into my Stryder will always be my favorite. It's almost like he's just haphazardly throwing himself into the seat and starting to drive without strapping himself in- perfect for the role it plays.

The "grab here for leverage" bars on the Ogre are pretty sweet too though, really demonstrates how different the two chassis (correct plural, btw, just looked it up) are meant to be in terms of weight.

edit: wait 5!?!? They're gonna actually tempt me to regen that far, good heavens

Hip Hop

Come on, 5?

Without hitting a Gen yet, I managed to get 29 pilot kills in my first 2 days of release.

It isn't that hard. Could've been reduced to 10-20 kills.

But I guess it's for the good.

Roflobear

I actually never use LMG, I tried it a few times and I was abysmal so I thought it's just a crap weapon. But now I see a lot of people are saying it's pretty good and you can actually down a titan with only one clip. I think I'm going to give it a second chance.

That may have just been me since I was talking about it earlier in the thread lol. So don't feel like you're missing something if you don't like the LMG. I might just be the oddball haha

EDIT: scratch that, THIS guy's the oddball:

Come on, 5?

Without hitting a Gen yet, I managed to get 29 pilot kills in my first 2 days of release.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Come on, 5?

I'm sorry, what now, 29 ejecting pilots in your first two days? Are you human?

antitrop

I have 50 hours in the Retail release and the Stats page says I have 2 Gooser kills (without trying, I'm not Gen 5 yet).

So, yeah...

EDIT: Maybe I'm reading that Stat wrong, that may be kills while I was ejecting...

Coconut

Banned
I have 50 hours in the Retail release and the Stats page says I have 2 Gooser kills (without trying, I'm not Gen 5 yet).

So, yeah...

EDIT: Maybe I'm reading that Stat wrong, that may be kills while I was ejecting...

I'm around the same I think it's 3 or 4. I call bull shiz on the 29 talk.

Hip Hop

29 pilot kills while they were ejecting?

That may have just been me since I was talking about it earlier in the thread lol. So don't feel like you're missing something if you don't like the LMG. I might just be the oddball haha

EDIT: scratch that, THIS guy's the oddball:

I'm around the same I think it's 3 or 4. I call bull shiz on the 29 talk.

LMAO.

Just checked.

got 11 kills. I'm not god.

Yeah, fuck that challenge.

I just started Gen 3, so there is that

Because I want to get the achievement for unlocking gun parts I feel like i'm ruining many matches by farming grunts instead of killing players more often, I hate shit like this and it sucks, but this is how they designed it so meh.

I think it's one of those good ideas on paper but sucks in practice, people are going to have to deal with me shooting grunts to get those silencers.

The Cowboy

Because I want to get the achievement for unlocking gun parts I feel like i'm ruining many matches by farming grunts instead of killing players more often, I hate shit like this and it sucks, but this is how they designed it so meh.

I think it's one of those good ideas on paper but sucks in practice, people are going to have to deal with me shooting grunts to get those silencers.
Yeah I'm not a fan of this either, I'm not so much going after all the mods/scopes etc for the achievement, but simply to have the option to use what I want when I want. It is indeed pretty annoying to have to farm the AI in order to get a lot of them.

Its worse with the Titan weapons IMO, you have to score titan kills to unlock some of the mods, and you can single handily take a titan from full shield to almost doomed for someone to hit them once and score the kill and for it not to count (so many times I've done this with the charge style weapons).

But alas, this is how they made it work and I'm almost done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom