• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my plan to get the "Unlocked Everything achievement while grinding towards that 100 win challenge was going great until I hit the rail gun. Did they nerf this, or did people just really suck at the game when I used it before?It originally was my favorite Titan weapon. Now I can't kill shit. I am almost ashamed at how bad I am with it.

And you only need 10 Titan kills for the unlock I need. I think most of my anger is from kill stealing. All too often I get a guy down to a sliver of health, and some douche charges in a dooms it. Today though on Training Ground I had an awesome moment. A Titan falls, pilot hops in. We do battle, I am about to finish him, someone swoops in and steals it. I curse audibly, irate, and I just sort of jerk my analog stick up towards the pilot location and fire my fully charged shot in anger. Killed the fucking pilot! Got the Pull Harder achievement. Was amazing.

Hey guys, help me make a decision here:

So I played the beta, enjoyed it but wasn't out of this world for me.

But I was just watching the Titanfall launch trailer, and am suddenly intrigued again, mainly because I just feel like playing a fun simple shooter for 45mins to an hour (it's the only free time I have) that I can just boot up and enjoy. I tried to stick with BF4 but that's really getting stale for me at the moment.

What's the learning curve like? There seems to be all these burn cards etc. Is unlocking stuff difficult?

Will I be too noob coming in now?

Thinking of throwing down money on the game + season pass. Yay or Nay?

Also, what's new since launch?

(PC BTW)
Get it. A bit of a learning curve, but if you play FPS, you'll catch on in just a few matches. You always have Neogaf to ask questions of as well. All I can really say is that I haven't dedicated a lot of time to a FPS for a long time, but this game has me hooked.

Oh...and for what's new. Nothing content-wise, though I believe a new pack comes out in May? But they have released a few patches for tweaks and such.

Plissken

Hey guys, help me make a decision here:

So I played the beta, enjoyed it but wasn't out of this world for me.

But I was just watching the Titanfall launch trailer, and am suddenly intrigued again, mainly because I just feel like playing a fun simple shooter for 45mins to an hour (it's the only free time I have) that I can just boot up and enjoy. I tried to stick with BF4 but that's really getting stale for me at the moment.

What's the learning curve like? There seems to be all these burn cards etc. Is unlocking stuff difficult?

Will I be too noob coming in now?

Thinking of throwing down money on the game + season pass. Yay or Nay?

Also, what's new since launch?

(PC BTW)

This is my go-to "kill 30-45 minutes" game right now. It's fun, but not too stressful, as long as you don't get matched up against a party of Gen10 people. The learning curve is pretty easy regarding guns; the hard part is getting out of the mentality that you must sprint on the ground to get everywhere. If you remember that you have a jetpack and can run/hang on walls, and it gets much more fun.

The burn cards are earned from various tasks you'll complete in matches (Evac when you lose, kill grunts, etc), you'll get plenty without much effort. Can't say if you should splurge on the Season Pass, I didn't personally. The only new things since launch (that I can recall) are bug fixes and some tweaks to Gen challenges, there haven't been any new weapons/maps/titans or anything.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
It's been one of those nights, heh. Damage core and the triple threat can really fuck shit up.

ll0NOTg.png

sagat2036

I did it!! I lone wolfed it the entire way playing variety pack.

54110abc-0eed-46b9-a95b-b856aaf3b53c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Although i only had 15 goosers at gen 5 when patch hit.

Pain in the ASS challenges:

Gen 3 titan kill plasma railgun (others would KS me)
Gen 5 auto-pistol (had to reevaluate mouse settings)
Gen 6 brain surgeon (sometimes kills would count sometimes not)
Gen 9 MVP (Last 15 MVPs seemed like everyone knew what i needed and would go all out to rob me of it.)

Really dig the game but i think the low player count and match making gonna kill it.

Needs a new game mode to replace LTS, hated LTS.

oneils

[/URL][/IMG]

Gen 9 MVP (Last 15 MVPs seemed like everyone knew what i needed and would go all out to rob me of it.)

Really dig the game but i think the low player count and match making gonna kill it.

Grats, is that on PC? I was thinking of picking it up but the fact that there are no private servers or any kind of clan support turns me off.

Hyunkel6

Chaingun with accelerator is awesome! I tried it out of boredom with particle wall before regenerating to Gen 4, and I'm dropping titans like flies! Those plasma railgun challenges on the other hand...never again.

EmpReb

Banned

[/URL][/IMG]

"Smacks forehead" YOU PLAYED FUCKIGN LTS to get goosers... stupid... so stupid. And the Auto Pistol is a beast. There is nothing hard about those gen challenges just requires to you to think out side the box and not play easy derp mode.

sagat2036

"Smacks forehead" YOU PLAYED FUCKIGN LTS to get goosers... stupid... so stupid. And the Auto Pistol is a beast. There is nothing hard about those gen challenges just requires to you to think out side the box and not play easy derp mode.

No where did i say i played LTS for gooser...

char0n

Played a few more rounds tonight and my matchmaking experience seems to be consistently improved now (PC btw). Pretty well balanced teams both in gen and skill it seemed (usually one or two high gen (6+) per team and most of the rest ungened). I didn't do as well as my previous post-patch outing (mostly team wins but a bit under 1.0 k/d and solid middle-of-pack scoreboard wise) but I actually felt like it was a challenge that could be overcome rather than an absolute slaughter like pre-last-patch matches.

E92 M3

I think they reverted the matchmaking. My friend tried this game today and he was in a team of 1s up against Gen 2 everywhere. I picked up the controller and my gosh, that team would be impossible to carry. I died once with 110 Attrition Points and we still lost by ~80 points.

That was insane.

They keep ignoring us about adding a Mercenary mode -- the easiest and most efficient solution to the matchmaking woes!

Wereroku

This is why I'm finding it hard to boot up Titanfall again. Hopefully the new maps are accompanied by this fabled game fixing patch.

Will the patch break up parties because that's the only way I have seen to fix this. Was playing with a friend and could tell the entire enemy team were in a group chat and working together. It really kills your ability to compete when everyone on your team is quiet.

lmao

I still give it a shot and see if they're any good. Most often they steamroll us, but you never know.

I'm not a great player but I've been in similar situations and came out on top. I've been on a stacked team and been dominated by non-gen'd players too. Generation isn't necessarily equal to skill.

The plus side in that image is that the Gen 9 is seeing an easy MVP.

Anyone have tips for the Hemlock?

I had less of an issue with the Kraber than I am with the Hemlock.. sucks at range, sucks up close, just fucking sucks.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I'm not a great player but I've been in similar situations and came out on top. I've been on a stacked team and been dominated by non-gen'd players too. Generation isn't necessarily equal to skill.

It is always a team party that dishes out the hurt. If you get some random high gens then it is a wash. But more often than not it's a party and that's what is breaking the matchmaking right now.

Bizazedo

Will the patch break up parties because that's the only way I have seen to fix this. Was playing with a friend and could tell the entire enemy team were in a group chat and working together. It really kills your ability to compete when everyone on your team is quiet.

It would, but then you'd see an amazing amount of rage towards the game from people who only party.

TrueGrime

I don't look at generations as a concern at all. The only thing I look at the level. What level are the guys I'm playing with, is what I look for. The higher level will statistically have a greater advantage because they will have more gear. I didn't play that game because they were all gens, but because they were all 50's and probably gear stacked. Not to mention the non-gens on my team more than likely were going through the campaign for the first time and didn't even have their extra titans.

The plus side in that image is that the Gen 9 is seeing an easy MVP.

Anyone have tips for the Hemlock?

I had less of an issue with the Kraber than I am with the Hemlock.. sucks at range, sucks up close, just fucking sucks.

Try the starburst attachment - 5 shot burst rather than 3 shot burst. I've been using that a bunch and it makes the gun much more useful.

Jito

Banned
How on earth do people still go through whole attriction matches getting less than 10 minion kills. What the hell are they doing all game?!

Bizazedo

Couldn't help myself.

Thank you! And yes, I'm aware.

How on earth do people still go through whole attriction matches getting less than 10 minion kills. What the hell are they doing all game?!

If they're like my real life friends who don't play shooters and insist on making me carry them in attrition matches? Sit in a corner, hope someone wanders in front of them, or ride on my Titan's back the whole time.

I'd always thought the people who performed that poorly were near catatonic or some other objectionable, non-GAF approved word, but nope, these are fully functional adults.

They just never played an FPS before this.

Bydobob

I don't look at generations as a concern at all. The only thing I look at the level. What level are the guys I'm playing with, is what I look for. The higher level will statistically have a greater advantage because they will have more gear. I didn't play that game because they were all gens, but because they were all 50's and probably gear stacked. Not to mention the non-gens on my team more than likely were going through the campaign for the first time and didn't even have their extra titans.

On the other hand those at 50 might be stuck on challenges. My worst scoring run was at Gen 4 level 50 trying to get the remaining charge rifle crit hits. Plus starting off with a Carbine and 40mm cannon is hardly a handicap. Respawn did a good balancing job there.

Mafro

Just got put into a game on the losing team right at the end where the dropship was leaving. Absolutely sick of the matchmaking in this, it's genuinely the worst I've seen in an online-focused AAA FPS. I've only had it for around a week and a half so I don't know what it was like before previous patches.

Just got put into a game on the losing team right at the end where the dropship was leaving. Absolutely sick of the matchmaking in this, it's genuinely the worst I've seen in an online-focused AAA FPS. I've only had it for around a week and a half so I don't know what it was like before previous patches.

I agree, this is my third week with the game and so many games even when in the lobby go into the match with 3v6 sometimes, or right at the end like you, or with a team of level 10-30s versus an entire team of G 1s-whatever.

What, the, flying, fuck.

SpyGuy239

Alright so went ahead and got the game. Still not sure about getting the DLC? Any thoughts GAF?

Also why on earth is this game a (PC) 50Gb download??? That's more space than Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 Combined!

zou

Surprised at your surprise. This keeps happening to me on a regular basis, usually multiple times a day :/

cakely

If you're used to playing COD the matchmaking is pretty much what you come to expect, as in, there isn't really any attempt to balance the teams based on level or prestige level.
I don't find it that bad, honestly. As it's been pointed out the default classes aren't gimped in any way, they're honestly pretty viable.

The most difficult opponents are of course the guys that join as a group and play as a team. That's ok, because if being a coordinated team wasn't an advantage there would seriously be something wrong with the game.

I would expect there to eventually be a "Mercenaries" mode to help support the lone wolf player type. I'm happy that there are no group restrictions in the playlists right now, because I actually enjoy playing with my group.

TrueGrime

Dont EJECT!!!!!! I imagine a pack of wolves on a lone titan.

LOL. I wonder how that level 1 fared. I couldn't imagine jumping into this game for the first time (and a hardpoint match no less) and having to go up against season vets. A whole team of seasoned vets. The learning curve is forgiving but it takes time to get to learn the maps.

TrueGrime

lmao

I still give it a shot and see if they're any good. Most often they steamroll us, but you never know.

I missed this post. I'm definitely a good sport for torturing myself, Apps. =p Just not that time. I know for a fact that I could come out on top (and still probably lose the match). I usually play with a great group of guys and we steamroll people too. I do feel bad for picking and choosing games where I might have a chance of winning if I'm alone. I really hate losing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom