• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Trump renames Black History Month to National African American History month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Quick google search brings up the Obama WH archived site. Looks like Obama officially named Feb as NAAHM last year.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2016 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...-national-african-american-history-month-2016

akira28

Why make it specific like that? am I ignorant or is someone on his staff ignorant?

Oh my god

Trump just wants to drive the point that this is something under his control. He doesn't have to touch the nigger with a 10 foot pole, but he still influences their lives. He can rename their holidays on a whim, lol.

"I just thought it sounded better." /raspy Trump voice

Isn't African American kinda offensive? I mean, most black people in America, were born in America. Are white dudes Irish Americans now? Scottish American? English Americans? German Americans? 1/6th Japanese, 1/4th Puerto Rican Americans? My ancestry goes back to Ireland but I don't think of myself as an Irish Canadian.

rjinaz

Kinda just threw out all the black people who aren't African didn't yah?

Ohh yeah I think you nailed it. Let's honor the Black folks that were actually wronged, you know the actual Africans, but the Black people of today, this doesn't apply to you. There is no racism or a need for you to have your own month any more.

Gross.

Isn't African American kinda offensive? I mean, most black people in America, were born in America. Are white dudes Irish Americans now? Scottish American? English Americans? German Americans? 1/6th Japanese, 1/4th Puerto Rican Americans? My ancestry goes back to Ireland but I don't think of myself as an Irish Canadian.

Its not inherently offensive, its meant to be inclusive except it excludes people from the Caribbean, South America, etc. The whole thing is dumb.

This sounds like when a conservative does that thing when they say "black guy" but then sarcastically add "Oh! Sorry! I mean African-American" because they're making fun of PC culture or whatever. This seems like that.

"Happy Black History Month! Oh, I'm sorry, I mean African-American History Month."

Somnid

It's fine, I think. Maybe there's someone out there that considers themselves Black but not of African descent but was still engulfed in the slavery era, I dunno but usually they get more specific regional labels.

Barzul

Who cares about the specifics. He can't change the name that's already stuck and ingrained. Everyone calls in Black History Month.

kirblar

Just from my time on gaf it really seems like Black is the preferred way to refer to Black Americans and that African American is generally frowned upon. Am I wrong?

Either way, why the fuck are you touching this Trump? If it needed to be changed Obama would have done it. Trump just showing he knows more than the actual people would. Cool.
AA is a specific culture/background.

Hari Seldon

This narrows things down to African-American culture, instead of Black culture the world over. And yes, there are significant people and events in African-American history, this will unfortunately focus Afro-American's history to events related to America, not its cultural ancestry to Africa, and to other notable events and Black people the world over.

This is more America First bullshit.

Black History Month to my mind means that in school we would spend a month learning about the civil rights movement, not about actual African history.

I don't like this for many reasons.

1. You might not associate with African ancestry at all
2. It's too general a term and all blacks may not feel included
3. It shy's away from using the term "black" which means in turn people think using it is racist, when it isn't

R0ckman

Black History Month for me has never been just Black American History month but all of Black History.

And when you start reaching that point of research, their skeletons start tumbiling out of the closet, hence the focus on America only.

Geist-

...the...

...the NAAH month?

hGWUZD0.gif

A senior administration official tells TMZ, after meeting with African American leaders, he believed the consensus was that the term "black" is outdated, and the more appropriate way to refer to the community is "African American.

Outdated, my ass.

They're trying to mitigate that role of black people from other countries. Just come out and say it, Trump.

Absinthe

The OP should be updated with this.

and:

Quick google search brings up the Obama WH archived site. Looks like Obama officially named Feb as NAAHM last year.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2016 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...-national-african-american-history-month-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom