• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Trump renames Black History Month to National African American History month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even consider Black History Month to be a celebration of just Black Americans. Like, we covered Nelson Mandela for a week of high school one February.

royalan

I Don't Give A Fuck what consensus he came up with.

Don't touch NOTHIN, Trump.

Goddamn, leave our month alone!

Donald Trump done fucked up and turned it into BLACK History Year.

I'm getting t-shirts made.

Peltz

Sorry non-African American black people, go get your own month. /s

I do not like how a white dude who was preceded in office by a black dude, has the audacity to think he can determine what is or is not appropriate in this regard. It's not his month to change.

And I say this as a white dude.

I Don't Give A Fuck what consensus he came up with.

Don't touch NOTHIN, Trump.

Goddamn, leave our month alone!

Can I get one of those?

Can you guys relax??

Obama changed it and nobody even knew lol!

So either TMZ just found out and is just saying Trump changed it or Trump is trying to take some credit for something he didn't do.

Steel

Banned
I'm more annoyed that he felt the need to change it than the name. Like, he couldn't leave the name as is, felt he had to have his own spin on it.

joms5

Quick google search brings up the Obama WH archived site. Looks like Obama officially named Feb as NAAHM last year.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...-national-african-american-history-month-2016

Oops.

I guess it's just Trump trying to take the credit for Obama's work. lol

Weird because if you read this release from Trump it sounds mighty familiar to what you posted. Could just be a template though.

http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/black-history-month.pdf

tbm24

Isn't African American kinda offensive? I mean, most black people in America, were born in America. Are white dudes Irish Americans now? Scottish American? English Americans? German Americans? 1/6th Japanese, 1/4th Puerto Rican Americans? My ancestry goes back to Ireland but I don't think of myself as an Irish Canadian.

Depends on who you ask honestly. I take offense every time someone feels the need to make the distinction between Latino American and just American depending on the context.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yeah the Trump proclamation and the Obama one are exactly the same. Guess it's a formality for presidents to sign proclamations like this on a regular basis.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2016 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2017 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/trump-names-february-african-american-history--month/1733832/

Jumeira

Banned
Black is a dirty word for him? And it's not up to him what the black populace wants thier history to be known as.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Then Trump should have kept his hands off of it. Anything to take away from Obama.

Of course people are going to assume the worst coming from them, and they should which is why he should have left it alone, but of course he doesn't.

Trump just put out a proclamation like every sitting president does at the start of February.

Need to be careful of things like this. Uproar about incorrect things will make moderates less sympathetic and more prone to tuning out if not opposing accurate anti-Trump rhetoric.

The nationalist, authoritarian bigot adds the words "National" and "American" to a day celebrating people who only gave him 8% of their vote, weeks after a black president leaves office.

Sounds about right.

Glix

I mean, didn't seem that bad to me first take, but when you realize in the broader context it is just another way of saying "we only care about AMERICANS, and if you are black or brown but not american we don't give a shit about you" and it made me sad.

I'm sad every day lately.

akira28

Apparently Obama already changed it so /thread indeed.

I know, I know

He can tell the US government to call it whatever he wants and tell them to change the websites and all. But the community doesn't just shift like that. It may have made sense for updated terminology, but in a cultural sense it wasn't a discussed or accepted move.

I like this.

royalan

Goddamn Donald Trump is like somebody's bad ass kid!

Don't touch NOTHIN!

You not even hungry! You just ate!

You just want it cuz you see it, huh????

Ugh!!!!

He can tell the US government to call it whatever he wants and tell them to change the websites and all. But the community doesn't just shift like that. It may have made sense for updated terminology, but in a cultural sense it wasn't a discussed or accepted move.

I'm with you. I already said in the thread its a dumb term because it excludes black non africans and it also includes white africans which isn't the point of the month at all.

Isn't African American kinda offensive? I mean, most black people in America, were born in America. Are white dudes Irish Americans now? Scottish American? English Americans? German Americans? 1/6th Japanese, 1/4th Puerto Rican Americans? My ancestry goes back to Ireland but I don't think of myself as an Irish Canadian.
I can't speak to for other racial/ethnic backgrounds, but I'd absolutely consider myself a Japanese-American and I don't think there's anything offensive about that term. We even have internal terms to distinguish what kind of Japanese-Americans we are (Issei, nisei, sansei, yonsei and gosei).

Mr. X

It purposely excludes black history that is non-American. BHM celebrated non-American contributions to the world.

It's basically Trump being all America fuck yeah.

Yeah the Trump proclamation and the Obama one are exactly the same. Guess it's a formality for presidents to sign proclamations like this on a regular basis.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/trump-names-february-african-american-history--month/1733832/

Seems so:
https://clinton6.nara.gov/1997/01/1...-national-african-american-history-month.html

NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 1997 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs that raise awareness of African American history.

https://archives.hud.gov/content/focus/2001-02-06.cfm

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim February 2001 as National African American History Month. I call upon public officials, educators, librarians, and all of the people of the United States to observe this month with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs.

Cyan

Banned
Always good to look for corroborating sources or do a little additional research if you can, before making threads on this kind of story.

Of course, the inevitable end result is that someone else who didn't bother makes the thread instead, but so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom