• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars |OT| Ghost Recon meets Advance Wars

Pfft, real men game with Wireless on. The little orange light would be missed dearly ;-;

Despite crashing once though, I haven't encountered it again (wireless on), and I made sure to save every few turns just in case.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ok, I'll try again with wireless off.

The black screen of death hit me twice in a row last time, which was pretty discouraging for me.

Will playing on Elite do anything for me besides upping my rank?

Emitan

Joey Fox said:

The black screen of death hit me twice in a row last time, which was pretty discouraging for me.

It turns you into a real man.

Fusebox

Banned
Absolutely loving this game. Its fairly easy so far but somehow I still managed to fail a mission twice in a row on rookie (2-5 I think) because I let Duke get too far ahead, but I'm really surprised by how much fun I'm having with this.

Emitan

I hate this game don't buy it
I can't sleep because I have to do just one more mission before going to bed. OK, just this one then I'm done for tonight, right? Nope. I can't stop playing.

AniHawk

19:10 on the activity log, which seems really high. i think it counted the time i had the game on but had it sleeping in the cradle. i think the real time was more around 15 hours.

i liked it. i was getting the urge to play another strategy rpg. usually around this time we get a disgaea or a fire emblem or something, and this fit nicely.

i guess next up is hunting down a copy of radiant historia.

Xater

Joey Fox said:

By getting higher ranks you unlock more bonus missions.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Xater said:
By getting higher ranks you unlock more bonus missions.

Ah, cool. I have been unlocking bonus missions without fail after every mission, but I didn't know if that would happen regardless.

I am also having the problem where I keep doing missions when I should be sleeping. Chapter 2 still seems very easy, even on Elite. Hell, with Banshee's upgraded abilities and the command abilities, it's getting easier than the end of Chapter 1. I can't be the only one that had to wait five turns with nothing to do until the convoy came.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I had a dream I was playing this, only the characters were X-men.

Mmmmmmm, X-men strategy game.

Bru

Spent some quality hours with the game over the weekend, it's bloody fantastic. I loved Laser Squad on the C64 and was addicted to X-Com on PC, I can't believe I nearly overlooked Shadow Wars.

Julian Gollop really is a master of his craft.

Billychu said:
Can you just reload the ingame saves over and over?

And I'm trying not to read the spoilers but it's hard when when quoting.
Yes, you can reload from the in-game saves whenever you want. It's not nearly as punishing as the suspended save system from a game like Fire Emblem.

So there is definitely zero StreetPass functionality with this game, right?

Anyone know of plans to use SpotPass (or have they already) for anything cool?

Fong Ghoul said:
So there is definitely zero StreetPass functionality with this game, right?

Anyone know of plans to use SpotPass (or have they already) for anything cool?
Yes there is no Streetpass, and no, I don't know about Spotpass. Some DLC skirmishs would be cool.

Gouty said:
I had a dream I was playing this, only the characters were X-men.
Mmmmmmm, X-men strategy game.
Haha. I actually had a dream about this game the other night as well, but the characters were normal. Definitely shouldn't play games right before sleep, can't be good. Still an amazing game, getting close to finishing the campaign here.

AColdDay

Man, once you get her knife and the Reactivate command power, banshee becomes pretty fucking unstoppable.

I've heard Mint gets pretty good too, later on when he gets certain upgrades. I wish that Haze could keep up, because I love his long range but he is quickly becoming a background character when he used to be my MVP.

Richter sucks except for soaking up bullets and using suppress.

Great game overall. I am really enjoying the upgrade system in this, and every new wrinkle in the gameplay is a welcome surprise.

Also, like many others have said, this game should be a G.I. Joe game.

Edit: X-men is even better.

Xater

The_Darkest_Red said:
They gave the game a 4.7 in story but an 8.1 overall. The funny thing is, that sounds just about right.

It does. The main problem of the game is glaringly obvious.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I would say the main problems of the game are lack of difficulty, lack of individual character, and not enough choices when it comes to leveling.

Still love it and it's the standout of the launch lineup by far for me, though it's not exactly a game you'd use to show off your new 3DS. The critical and hopefully commercial success gives me hope that we'll see more games like this that address the problems listed above.

Insaniac

the lack of multiplayer is kinda disappointing for me, because with advance wars the SP is great but the map editor and multiplayer is where i got the bulk of my playtime

Dammit - I can't find this anywhere on the internet, probably because it was explained so clearly in the first couple of missions (when I wasn't paying attention) that I'm the only person to not figure it out:

There are new pickups in the third or fourth mission (first time I'd seen them at least) called "power points" or something like that. What are these?

AstroLad said:
I would say the main problems of the game are lack of difficulty, lack of individual character, and not enough choices when it comes to leveling.

Still love it and it's the standout of the launch lineup by far for me, though it's not exactly a game you'd use to show off your new 3DS. The critical and hopefully commercial success gives me hope that we'll see more games like this that address the problems listed above.
This seems like an intentional design decision to me, for better or for worse. The game has a heavy emphasis on the battles themselves with very little taking place outside of them. I don't really mind the lack of options since each character is fairly unique, although I can certainly understand the complaint.

It really is in stark contrast to Tactics Ogre, though, which I've been playing a lot of recently. In TO you can easily spend as much time or more outside of battles as you do in them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I honestly think both the lack of customization and low difficulty are the result of trying to appeal to a broad dudebro audience more so than creating the best game possible. Same reason why the first hour of play is basically all tutorial.

pslong009

Neo Member
Fong Ghoul said:
Dammit - I can't find this anywhere on the internet, probably because it was explained so clearly in the first couple of missions (when I wasn't paying attention) that I'm the only person to not figure it out:

There are new pickups in the third or fourth mission (first time I'd seen them at least) called "power points" or something like that. What are these?

They boost the power meter, which is on the left side of the touch screen for the characters. When it hits 100%, they get access to a special attack which drains the power meter, but is quite powerful. Characters also gain a small amount of power points for damaging an enemy, and a lot for killing an enemy.

AstroLad said:
I honestly think both the lack of customization and low difficulty are the result of trying to appeal to a broad dudebro audience more so than creating the best game possible. Same reason why the first hour of play is basically all tutorial.
I can definitely see that, although I don't mind playing a slightly more accessible SRPG every once in awhile.

As far as difficulty goes, the game has been fairly easy on elite so far but not to the point where I found it unsatisfying.

farnham

Banned
Insaniac said:
the lack of multiplayer is kinda disappointing for me, because with advance wars the SP is great but the map editor and multiplayer is where i got the bulk of my playtime
it has hotseat multiplayer right ?

tbh in turnbased RPGs thats the better kind of multiplayer because noone i know has a 3ds right now

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The_Darkest_Red said:
I can definitely see that, although I don't mind playing a slightly more accessible SRPG every once in awhile.

As far as difficulty goes, the game has been fairly easy on elite so far but not to the point where I found it unsatisfying.
Oh I agree with all that. It's at that level where it's easy but the missions are still long and satisfying thatswhatshesaid. And there's always the danger of someone getting popped or ambushed, which is even more interesting when you don't save in-mission (I don't). They obviously went for well-designed but accessible so a lot of their decisions make sense to me even if my personal preference would have been for it to be slightly less "accessible" in this way.

pslong009 said:
They boost the power meter, which is on the left side of the touch screen for the characters. When it hits 100%, they get access to a special attack which drains the power meter, but is quite powerful. Characters also gain a small amount of power points for damaging an enemy, and a lot for killing an enemy.

Ah, of course. I vaguely remember seeing that. Thank you.

Edit: and I see the irony of the timing of my question, in the middle of a discussion about dumbing it down for the Dudebro's...

AstroLad said:
Oh I agree with all that. It's at that level where it's easy but the missions are still long and satisfying thatswhatshesaid. And there's always the danger of someone getting popped or ambushed, which is even more interesting when you don't save in-mission (I don't). They obviously went for well-designed but accessible so a lot of their decisions make sense to me even if my personal preference would have been for it to be slightly less "accessible" in this way.
There's always hope for a more difficult and complex sequel, although this is Ubisoft we're talking about. Alternatively, Nintendo could just take care of this issue entirely by making an Advance Wars or Fire Emblem game for 3DS...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm hoping this spawns more western tactics games or at least unconventional jsrpgs (ac!d). not really into the ninty or NIS stuff myself which is why this was a breath of fresh air

AstroLad said:
i'm hoping this spawns more western tactics games or at least unconventional jsrpgs (ac!d). not really into the ninty or NIS stuff myself which is why this was a breath of fresh air
Definitely. Handhelds are so perfect for these types of games.

Xater

AstroLad said:

Would be nice to see more western devs to try themselves on this kind of stuff on handhelds. The old PC guys should actually be really familiar with this genre so why the hell not?

AstroLad said:
That'd be nice. Well I did my part and bought it.

Fixed1979

Alright strangest thing, the 3DS won't read my cartridge anymore. It's in the slot and it says "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot." It still picks up Pilotwings and DS games...Is Nintendo still storing saves on the game cartridge?

EDIT: Kept switching between 3 or 4 games and eventually it just started to work. Doesn't make me feel good though.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I just finished chapter four on Elite. I'm dying more often now, which is good, but a lot of it comes from not knowing where or how many enemies are going to appear.

Haze is definitely the weakest link, but I'm also giving him the least amount of points. And although Banshee is incredibly overpowered, I can't just send her in random directions by herself anymore. Well, not always.

I love the amount of content in this game. Hopefully you can still rank up by beating the skirmish missions!

Fixed1979 said:
Alright strangest thing, the 3DS won't read my cartridge anymore. It's in the slot and it says "There is nothing inserted into the Game Card slot." It still picks up Pilotwings and DS games...Is Nintendo still storing saves on the game cartridge?

EDIT: Kept switching between 3 or 4 games and eventually it just started to work. Doesn't make me feel good though.
I had that happen once. Gave me a good scare, it did!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
What were they thinking when they designed Banshee's melee ability? They should have at least made her uncloak for a turn after using it or something.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Ysiadmihi said:
What were they thinking when they designed Banshee's melee ability? They should have at least made her uncloak for a turn after using it or something.

She uncloaks if the enemy doesn't die, but I agree. It would be better that if she ever uncloaks in the turn, she can be shot at in the enemy's next turn.

For most levels I just send her straight to a command flag by herself.

Yeah Banshee rocks.

OK the game served up a little challenge to me, had to retry a mission 3 times to pass it. It was really satisfying when I did though.

Just had my first game hang after a few turns in the first(?) mission of Chapter 4.

3DS suddenly stopped responding, no music/animation after an in-game dialogue about
clearing away remaining forces, just after the intel on blasting the boulder with c4 to stop armored vehicle

Despite this, I'm loving the gameplay.

Story sucks though.

edit: wifi is off when I play this game

Ysiadmihi said:
they were thinking, HOLY SHIT BANSHEE IS BAD ASS. of course she shouldn't uncloak for a turn after ninja'ing guys to death.

I love how broken Banshee is.

1. Kill 2 enemies and gain Rapid Strike
2. Use Rapid Strike to kill an enemy
3. Use extra movement to kill another and get another Rapid Strike
4. Use reactivate
5. ???
6. Profit?

I'm loving this game so far. The gameplay mechanics are so great and its simply addicting. And that second cave mission was extremely long. I think it took me about an hour and a half to finish it. And as I got to the end, I was hoping that I'd finish it in time because I had the "fade to black" thing happen to me in the first sub mission. I then remembered that there was a save function. lol

bigswords

When you have one of the X-com guys on this. This game is mutherfucking must buy.

For those who are crashing , please disable your wifi it should fix most of your issues.

Damn this game is so good, all it's left is crouching and or standing stances lol.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I am 21 hours in, and I can see where the review saying the game blows its wad on interesting level design is coming from. Still fun of course.

The last level I finished had about 10 drones for me to destroy, so hopefully my upgrade choices aren't going to come back to bite me in the ass in the final chapter(s). Haze and Richter are both severely under-leveled.

Top Bottom