• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

v1lla21

I can highly recommend the movie Sicario which is free to watch on amazon prime right now

Made me think of this game while I watched it, even though the actual details and location are different.

Feels so realistic (like you are there), and it looks like a lot of the details are based on actual circumstances occurring in the region a few years before the movie (though not the specific characters or enemies)
A lot of the time the game feels like sicario. Came up on some tunnels yesterday and immediately thought of that scene in sicario.

I wish the game took itself more seriously with the story and had better music. Game can go from stupid to really dark out of nowhere.

I was planting c4 all over the place and luring them into it just to blow em up last night shit was funny. I'd even throw a mine down and net_wrecker would grab someone and walk em to the mine. Lmao.

Tecnniqe

Banned
What happened? If it's anything major I'll need to think about turning off auto update on my ps4.
Literally my game just kills itself when i move FPS wise.

Benchmarks are all fine, ingame runs smooth no lag even when people bomb everything but as soon as I move my character it drops to like 20FPS
Are you also getting weird texture issues by chance? Mine sometimes flash when streaming in for a sec when flying over areas. My game still crashes rarely when I open the map still but at least the nvidia driver fixed my fps drop issue and added SLI constant 60 fps goodness!!

Nah not had that.

Hyun Sai

I have to say it, this is my best Coop experience since Destiny. We have such freedom to do whatever we want.

Some of the areas are stunningly beautiful. There is a splendid autel dedicated to the blessed mother in an undercover cocaine smuggling base, too bad I couldn't take screenshots.

AsianOni

Anyone else unable to connect to their servers right now?

No problem here.

Also, it's pretty satisfying to clean up half of an outpost like this.
f9QsuoR.gif

Chumley

Banned
I can highly recommend the movie Sicario which is free to watch on amazon prime right now

Made me think of this game while I watched it, even though the actual details and location are different.

Feels so realistic (like you are there), and it looks like a lot of the details are based on actual circumstances occurring in the region a few years before the movie (though not the specific characters or enemies)

They had to have been inspired by the movie when making this game. You even hold your pistol the same way Alejandro does. Too bad their writers are fucking trash.

Said it before but listening to the soundtrack for it while playing is the right way to play.

Man this game is a time sink.. In a good way. Taking out one of those larger UNIDAD bases takes a good amount of time even with the AI helping.

So much fun though. Feels rewarding.

The map is so big. I had 15km to go to get to my next mission.. Flying over the world for that distance was awesome. Of course, 1 km out a SAM site locked on and shot me down, bailed in time to hoof it the test of the way.

Wooo. Finished the game yesterday with my friend. We playedcpretty much the whole campaign with just us two. Extreme difficulty was definately the way to go. So much fun. Also dat ending though.
We're in the process of getting 100% destabilisation to get the "true" ending.
Boy do I love the cartel members in this game. They are so cool. Way more cool than they needed to be.
Santa
Santa
Saaaanta Blannnca

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Lets see everyones Ghosts. Got a few loadouts done now.

Edit: Looks like we do have an in-game clock but its a little hidden. May help out with those who want to infiltrate at night. Bring up the drone to see it.

sdfPnFy.png

Mossybrew

What's with this ultra-repetitive canned dialogue you have to listen to every time you spawn. It rotates between talking about the Kingslayer blah blah and then about some "innocent woman" and I have heard these two exchanges probably 20+ times each now. Make it stop.

And why even put guns on these choppers if there is no way to aim them?

Two minor annoyances, otherwise I am having a hell of a time with this game. The basic gameplay loop is just super addictive. I think it just hit at a bad time with a lot of other high profile games, but it is going to have legs, I think word-of-mouth is going to work well for Wildlands.

Oh, and it would be nice to join a game where people are actually working together, but I guess that's just the nature of playing with randos. When you do find a decent group it's a blast though.

loving the game so far, here's some videos I captured of various stuff

Chopper Shenanigans Learned a valuable lesson after this, be more careful where you park the helicopter.

Best Camoflage or Worst Perimeter Patrol Guard? Not sure how this guy didnt see me, or how my AI teammates didnt call him out at least...

After Dark Airplane Theft w No Drone Usage In this one my drone glitched out and wouldnt allow me to use it (it happens sometimes after you pilot a chopper around) so I decided to try to clear a well populated area without it

Stealth Prison Camp Medal Snatch & Grab I found this really neat prison camp while flying around randomly and noticed it had one of the Bonus Medals I wanted in there so I snuck in and out undetected

Belker

What's with this ultra-repetitive canned dialogue you have to listen to every time you spawn. It rotates between talking about the Kingslayer blah blah and then about some "innocent woman" and I have heard these two exchanges probably 20+ times each now. Make it stop.

And why even put guns on these choppers if there is no way to aim them?

Two minor annoyances, otherwise I am having a hell of a time with this game. The basic gameplay loop is just super addictive. I think it just hit at a bad time with a lot of other high profile games, but it is going to have legs, I think word-of-mouth is going to work well for Wildlands.

Oh, and it would be nice to join a game where people are actually working together, but I guess that's just the nature of playing with randos. When you do find a decent group it's a blast though.

The dialogue is the thing I like least about the game. It's a shame, because the threat dialogue (enemy by so and so) is useful, but blended with the crap.

I'm beginning to think the choppers are best treated as vehicles meant only to go in a straight line. I think to strafe properly you'd have to have a long run up and never deviate from ones course.

For group play, search for WildlandsGAF on the Xbox and NeoGAF on the ubi website. Two clans to join.

Veet - good spot on the clock. Never noticed it.

Diancecht

I was looking for a podcast game after the Division and I think I found it. Because of this, repeated dialogues won't bother me. But I try to listen the mini videos, they are well made.

Yeah helos are good for transport.. The mini guns on the sides of the not-Blackhawk are not very good either for whatever reason. It's ok though, if they were super powerful you'd just roam around in it the whole time (or at least I would..).

Keihart

I'm getting stuttters on framerate now that didn't happen before, im playing with gtx 1060.

It's weird too that framrate doesn't change much betwen high , very high and ultra, i'm ok with 30 fps but the dips and jumps are getting on my nerves.

It seems to happen more when i first load the game tho.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

OldMan

Banned
giphy.gif

The whole thing revolving around this game's MP seems really weird. PVP post launch and only at 4v4? Ain't shit.
6358626783061294371027804644_entering-the-car-like-a-boss-o.gif

I've been playing this with a buddy of mine. Just the two of us. We have had a blast with it. About 28 hours this week played and we have 100%'d 4 zones. When playing with just 2 people you have to be far far more careful but it's been great. I stay back and snipe, he runs and guns and I feed him intel on enemy placement with the drone when he gets to places I can't hope of getting a shot at. If you have even one person to play with this game is a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it.

There are flaws as with any game. But when you are lining up a 400m sniper shot on a military base with your buddy waiting right under the sniper tower ready to go and you know if you are off by even a bit the entire operation is a wash the flaws go right out the sodding window.

its such a massive open world and its filled with the same repetitive missions.. i spent 2 hours clearing out a very large area of the map only to zoom out and realize im not even close to finishing it.

I am really enjoying it. Co-op is a blast and single player with HUD off and Extreme difficulty with stealthy style game play is great and intense.

Sadly though the Xbox One version has horrible screen tearing, and the game has some god awful dialogue/voice acting.

I wish you could customize the rest of your team members.

Every co-op session with this game I come away liking it more. It doesn't really have any tricks up its sleeve, so you can pretty much figure the game out in the first 2 hours, but in co-op with the right people none of that matters. Every 5 minutes you're thrust into a new special ops action movie scenario that you're free to tackle in whichever way you want. At worst this is a humorous balancing act of spontaneous tactical decisions, at best you're the Cocaine Clearing Squad bringing American justice to the fine people of Bolivia by killing everything through sheer bro-op swag.

HOOAH
OSCAR MIKE
TANGOS
SHITBALLS

Dervius

To everyone that has recommended playing on Extreme with HUD switches off, kudos.

It does require a bit of knowl2dge of when to push button prompts, but it's so much more immerive. Clearing a compound without knowing when it's totally safe is excellently tense, people can just creep right up on you.

Only way I play now, using the phone app for navigation.

Sojgat

So is it worth even considering this as a SP game ?

Yes. I've been playing it solo most of the time because my home internet is spotty at the moment.

Squad are a bit glitchy (sometimes don't fire when you tell them to, won't get in vehicles) but they're not too bad.

Lamptramp

So is it worth even considering this as a SP game ?

I don't know I suppose it depends on your tolerance of somewhat repetitive missions in a vast open world. I believe it would become more tedious, sooner alone, from my experience pre-launch the story isn't great and co-op shenanigans is where it shines.

Having said that I'm pretty torn still. This game was the one I was most looking forward to in the first half of the year but my usual group of friends are either missing it or playing on PC, playing completely solo or with (shudder) PuGs, from my short experience isn't as much fun. I've been torturing myself since launch reading the OT though trying to find something that would make me dive in.
I still may grab it though, its a nice open world with some satisfying gameplay moments even with the AI, but I wouldn't buy it to play wholly alone, I'd still hope that someone else would pick it up or to jump on with some gaffers.

I'm torm dammit!

Leveled up the rebel back up and diversion skill all the way and i love calling them in back to back and watching the firefights play out from afar. Its also amusing watching them fight in buildings where they catch each other off gaurd or rebels storm a building and wipe everyone out.

Yes. I've been playing it solo most of the time because my home internet is spotty at the moment.

Squad are a bit glitchy (sometimes don't fire when you tell them to, won't get in vehicles) but they're not too bad.

Isn't that if you're not in the driver's seat?

Sojgat

Isn't that if you're not in the driver's seat?

Sometimes they just glitch out, and a couple of them will stand there against the vehicle, while one gets in. They do spawn into the vehicle eventually (or if you give an assault order I think), so it's not a huge problem. Just immersion breaking.

Bollocks

I LOVE this game, you would think this contains realistic gameplay, but it's really just like GTA but with different skins.

There is a noticeable amount of jankiness, but it totally doesn't matter because the gameplay is great, even solo.

In fact this game is the coop part that we should have gotten with GTA 5.

FatalT

Banned
Once you get the rebel vehicle up to level 3 you can call in a chopper whenever you want. Makes the game so much better.

giphy.gif

The whole thing revolving around this game's MP seems really weird. PVP post launch and only at 4v4? Ain't shit.
6358626783061294371027804644_entering-the-car-like-a-boss-o.gif
Thanks for the contribution Junior Member.

We won't see you again in this thread with ya literal drive by posts.

Dervius

I'm aware that a 4v4 PvP mode is ont he cards, but what are the DLC plans for this game?

I don't remember paying much attention to the season pass announcement before it released.

As someone who was a fan of the GRAW games and Future Soldier, would you guys recommend this? I'm not planning on playing co-op, just soloing the story missions if that's possible.

Subpar AI doesn't bother me.

As someone who was a fan of the GRAW games and Future Soldier, would you guys recommend this? I'm not planning on playing co-op, just soloing the story missions if that's possible.

Yes, I would recommend this to you. I'm playing solo and the tagging mechanics adds an strategic tone to playing solo, where you basically command and order instakills..
My apporach is to play it like a solo game and when doing basic recon I sync some kills to clear snipers and turrets, then I advance by myself.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yes, I would recommend this to you. I'm playing solo and the tagging mechanics adds an strategic tone to playing solo, where you basically command and order instakills..
My apporach is to play it like a solo game and when doing basic recon I sync some kills to clear snipers and turrets, then I advance by myself.

Might have to bite. Looks fun, and I too, would be playing solo. I'd just roleplay that I'm John Rambo

There's some things I want from this game that are probably difficult to add but whatever:

1. The ability to shoot from the trunk of a vehicle
2. The ability to get into the bed of the truck and for larger trucks to get into the back (the trailer I guess even though they are attached. I haven't tried the second part so I don't know if it's an option.
3. Rappelling on buildings, from the helicopter, maybe even up cliff faces
4. More varied executions/melee takedowns. Use a knife!

Just some small stuff that I've found myself wishing for while I've been playing.

Belker

Once you get the rebel vehicle up to level 3 you can call in a chopper whenever you want. Makes the game so much better.

Thanks for the contribution Junior Member.

We won't see you again in this thread with ya literal drive by posts.

Hmm. I can see it making it easier, but I wonder if I'd fall back the chopper to get around. It might mean I avoid running intro trouble on the ground, or stumbling across missions and locations I wouldn't have triggered otherwise.

I'm also playing Watch Dogs 2 and there's an option to steal cars without setting their alarms off. I'm deep in most of the tech trees but have left that one, since I like the fact it can trigger nearby AI.

It is a lot less linear than GRAW or Future Soldier but/and there aren't any set pieces like in Future Soldier. I think it's more enjoyable. Despite the legitimate complaints about the radio and repeated anecdotes, I think writing is a lot better too.

void666

Banned
Sync shots with AI squad:

Mark 1, 2, 3, shoot. All bad guys down.

Sync shot with friends

Ok guys, i'll count to 3:
One... *someone shoots, misses, shoots again and again and again missing all shots. Whole base is alerted.
Dude, why?

_RT_

I was playing for a bit and stumbled across some intel that was in a building with no open doors. Tried fragging them all and none of them blow up.
Is there a skill I have to get access to some buildings?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I was playing for a bit and stumbled across some intel that was in a building with no open doors. Tried fragging them all and none of them blow up.
Is there a skill I have to get access to some buildings?

Some doors you can open by holding the reload button at it. Others I blow up with C4.

I'm solo'ing most of it right now (almost three quarters done) and really into it. You'll appreciate the characters and heightened reality world building, I think.

Solo play at the higher difficulties (which is recommended because it makes the AI more believable) does mean you're doing most of it stealthy and methodically, so it's not always an action packed experience - if stealth is your jam, you'll have a good time.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Thinking about getting this on PC. I remember the beta running like complete shit and it turned me off from the game. Framerate was making the game unplayable? I have a 970, 24gb ram, i5-3570k CPU. Just want to make sure this is going to run okay for me before I get it. Sounds like fun!

Top Bottom