• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebron

Anyone on xbox one experiencing the youtube app randomly opening while playing this game? I never even use the app. Its happened about 3 or 4 times in the past week.

Lol, no. Sure you don't have Smartglass on a tablet and someone is starting it from there?

CHC

I think my copy of the game is haunted....

It was loading and then the percentage wheel and numbers started going BACKWARDS.

I was actually legit spooked.

Played in a group of 12 earlier today. It was batshit crazy and the game was running at 10fps in just about every encounter. People were spamming their grenades and sticky bombs left and right.

25454549653_b2f8cd4654_h.jpg

25964579972_85e3336dbc_h.jpg

BLunted

Banned
There's literally only a handful of worthwhile abilities with high tech power and it pretty much comes down to buffing your defence or damage on your gun.

I agree, there could be more to do, but even if there were more abilities, I would still stick to pulse and smart cover, as that was the build I had in mind. Kind of makes the rest moot(at least for me).

We'll have to see what incursions brings. Maybe there will be need for special builds.

Played in a group of 12 earlier today. It was batshit crazy and the game was running at 10fps in just about every encounter. People were spamming their grenades and sticky bombs left and right.

Hmm so that still works? We tried doing it yesterday but as soon as someone joined the instance, they got transferred to the safe house.

How does it work exactly? Would like to try it out once at least.

The MP5 is not stronger, it doesn't scale as well as the Vector. My character at 3370 firearms does a lot more damage with a Vector than an MP5. Take both weapons with similar perks to the range and test it yourself. Damage per shot being higher and better scaling makes a huge difference. The AUG with perfect talents would be the best but chances of getting one are slim - the MP5 isn't as good.

Also - you basically repeated what I said. It being significantly easier to roll a perfect Vector makes it the best choice unless you get lucky with a craft. Notice the "unless you just get incredibly lucky with a DZ craft" part of my statement.

Firearms doesn't scale as well with the MP-5 but the base clip size means more damage gets put out before time is lost during reload. This means the base DPS for the MP-5 is higher. Vector's DPB is higher, which gives it better burst but that is only one factor. This is the same reason why M1A's are more popular than M44's despite M44's having a higher DPB.

Then you have usability aspects such as the MP-5 having less recoil and a higher RoF. Actual results will vary depending on a lot of factors including Mods, specific native Crit Rate rolled on the gun, and of course, Player skill.. but with all things being equal the MP-5 comes out ahead in DPS.

I also feel like you're overstating the "being incredibly lucky" aspect of the roll because RNG being RNG, any player can get a good roll on the MP-5 faster than they would on the Vector. The Vector not needing Gold DT makes it slightly easier to reroll a bunch but realistically, if you're not farming gear using an exploit, you're not going to get *that* many more rolls on a Vector than you would on the MP-5 due to the nature of Deconstruct to Blue then 5 Blue to 1 Gold Mat.

With all that being said, keep in mind that I never said that the MP-5 or the Aug are plain out better than the Vector either. They have situational strengths. The Aug and MP-5 are going to be favorable in situations where prolonged DPS is advantageous (i.e. PvE mob packs) whereas the Vector's higher burst is going to be favorable against Players who you want to drop before they can activate heals/buffs/etc...

lt519

I feel so bad...buddy and I have just been going rogue for fun, stop to kill a named enemy and a guy is helping us. Guy goes over picks up the loot, is obviously looking in his menu, so we kill him. Drops a MIDAS. We run to extraction, he hunts us down, we kill him. Then we call for extraction and he keeps throwing himself into us...

I feel a bit better since I'm not the one that got the Midas.

Cade

Two things: anywhere to buy or craft high end sniper scopes (12x and 25x) and are any shotguns good agent-killers? All the shotguns seem like wastes of a slot from what I've used.

Bruno

Firearms doesn't scale as well with the MP-5 but the base clip size means more damage gets put out before time is lost during reload. This means the base DPS for the MP-5 is higher. Vector's DPB is higher, which gives it better burst but that is only one factor. This is the same reason why M1A's are more popular than M44's despite M44's having a higher DPB.

Then you have usability aspects such as the MP-5 having less recoil and a higher RoF. Actual results will vary depending on a lot of factors including Mods, specific native Crit Rate rolled on the gun, and of course, Player skill.. but with all things being equal the MP-5 comes out ahead in DPS.

I also feel like you're overstating the "being incredibly lucky" aspect of the roll because RNG being RNG, any player can get a good roll on the MP-5 faster than they would on the Vector. The Vector not needing Gold DT makes it slightly easier to reroll a bunch but realistically, if you're not farming gear using an exploit, you're not going to get *that* many more rolls on a Vector than you would on the MP-5 due to the nature of Deconstruct to Blue then 5 Blue to 1 Gold Mat.

With all that being said, keep in mind that I never said that the MP-5 or the Aug are plain out better than the Vector either. They have situational strengths. The Aug and MP-5 are going to be favorable in situations where prolonged DPS is advantageous (i.e. PvE mob packs) whereas the Vector's higher burst is going to be favorable against Players who you want to drop before they can activate heals/buffs/etc...

Having 20 more shots in the magazine doesn't make it do more damage even if you account reloading. The burst with the Vector is MUCH larger than the MP5 and there aren't many targets in the game that can outlive 1 full magazine to the face besides mobs like the "Guards" from the last boss in the power plant challenge. Both PvP and PvE the Vector outclasses the MP5 if you have very high firearms.

You comparing the M44 RPM of 50 to the RPM of an M1A which is 300 is a massive difference between the RPM of an MP5 and a Vector with an Extended Magazine with RoF - the difference isn't anywhere near as large.

MP5 having less recoil? The Vector has near 0 recoil with stability on grip and muzzle.

Then you say I'm "overstating the "being incredibly lucky" aspect of the roll" while you say something like "not needing Gold DT makes it slightly easier to reroll a bunch". Are we playing the same game? Gold Division Tech is INCREDIBLY rare and used to craft ALL gear from the DZ BP's (Armor, Armor Mods, Weapon Mods, Weapons) while the Vector just requires Weapon Parts and Tools which are incredibly easy to reliably farm.

Those are my current stats without stacking accuracy on my gear. I crafted near 100 Vectors before I got my crit damage / headshot damage / crit chance perks. I've also crafted around 30 MP5's and spent lots of time comparing the usability of both weapons in both challenge modes and PvP. I WANTED to like the MP5 - I'm tired of using a Vector because everybody and their mother uses it but the truth is when you actually test it instead of doing napkin math - it's not as good.

I'm done wasting my hours and hours worth of Division Tech farming to try to craft MP5's - everything I gain is going into the AUG blueprint.

Slsxxu6.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah I tested it out with Kabouter just to be sure.

How did you go about testing it? I have a chest piece with this that I keep for my glass cannon build, but it seems to seriously increase the amount of damage I take in even if I use it in my tank build.

Russian Consulate challenge.

omgcw.gif

Honestly, I'd rather do Consulate than the fucking power plant.

lt519

25k skill power, BFB sticky with 40% for two people in its radius. Not many agents are surviving that with the skill link activated and a clip from a vector. I do something like 250k damage to AI with it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
They made me a monster!

Survived my first man hunt. Very fun. ლ(´ڡ`ლ)

I survived my first manhunt yesterday it was exhilarating! Glad PvP is finally not frowned upon in the game, just took a bit of a push from Massive :D.

Loving this right now, was thinking of heading back to Destiny before the patch, gonna stay on now till the Incursions. Probably still check out the Destiny update though.

Having 20 more shots in the magazine doesn't make it do more damage even if you account reloading. The burst with the Vector is MUCH larger than the MP5 and there aren't many targets in the game that can outlive 1 full magazine to the face besides mobs like the "Guards" from the last boss in the power plant challenge. Both PvP and PvE the Vector outclasses the MP5 if you have very high firearms.

You comparing the M44 RPM of 50 to the RPM of an M1A which is 300 is a massive difference between the RPM of an MP5 and a Vector with an Extended Magazine with RoF - the difference isn't anywhere near as large.

MP5 having less recoil? The Vector has near 0 recoil with stability on grip and muzzle.

Then you say I'm "overstating the "being incredibly lucky" aspect of the roll" while you say something like "not needing Gold DT makes it slightly easier to reroll a bunch". Are we playing the same game? Gold Division Tech is INCREDIBLY rare and used to craft ALL gear from the DZ BP's (Armor, Armor Mods, Weapon Mods, Weapons) while the Vector just requires Weapon Parts and Tools which are incredibly easy to reliably farm.

You understand that DPS means Damage Per Second right? And that I've been stating that the larger clip gives the MP-5 and Aug better Damage Per Second because it's still pouring out Damage while the Vector reloads? DPS =/= Straight Damage, which is why it varies based on factors like RoF and RPM. As far as single targets outliving a single mag.. you're missing the point. DPS from a larger mag is more valuable in PvE when there are 4 Rushers, 2 Grenadiers, a AR user and a Heavy all pouring down fire on your team. Being able to switch targets immediately is much more advantageous than having to reload sooner.

The difference in the Mag size on an Extended Mag between the Vector and an Aug or MP-5 just gets bigger the larger the mag size. At ~88% that's 10 more rounds per clip which can easily be 80k+ more damage per clip. That's significant.

Gold Div Tech is Rare but not incredibly so. Not if you take the context into account of many players only having so many mats due to exploit farming. Factoring exploit farming into this skews the math. If you actually Run around DZ05 and 06 and farm the Div Tech boxes and enemies, you'll get Div Tech. Moreso if you have high scavenging. People only feel it's abysmal because they exploited their way to huge backlogs of mats from Purple deconstructing so the feel of progression is all out of whack.

Those are my current stats without stacking accuracy on my gear. I crafted near 100 Vectors before I got my crit damage / headshot damage / crit chance perks. I've also crafted around 30 MP5's and spent lots of time comparing the usability of both weapons in both challenge modes and PvP. I WANTED to like the MP5 - I'm tired of using a Vector because everybody and their mother uses it but the truth is when you actually test it instead of doing napkin math - it's not as good.

I'm done wasting my hours and hours worth of Division Tech farming to try to craft MP5's - everything I gain is going into the AUG blueprint.

Slsxxu6.png

Again, the very fact that you were able to craft 100 Vectors speaks to the fact that you were only able to roll that many due to being able to farm a ridiculous amount of purple items extremely quickly. Much faster than ever intended. So of course the Div Tech farming feels molasses level slow in relation.. because it's already slower than the intended purple item acquisition rate and you were able to shortcut that to make it even faster. You're talking "feel" when your experience is from short cutting the lower tier and not being able to short cut the higher tier. But if you're going to talk about the actual feasibility, you should contextualize the intended acquisition rates rather than the exploited ones.

And I'm not trying to cast a negative light on the BK farm or other similar farms. I want to make that clear. I'm saying that as a result of those farms people have poor context as to the relation of tiers of gear acquisition.

As far as single targets outliving a single mag.. you're missing the point. DPS from a larger mag is more valuable in PvE when there are 4 Rushers, 2 Grenadiers, a AR user and a Heavy all pouring down fire on your team. Being able to switch targets immediately is much more advantageous than having to reload sooner.

Correct.

MP5 outshines the Vector in both pvp and pve 9/10 times.

Having switched from Vector to MP5 recently, I'm never going back.

The larger mag means I can melt a heavy without reloading or take on 2-3 players in DZ while they are reloading their Vectors.

WipedOut

Correct.

The larger mag means I can melt a heavy without reloading or take on 2-3 players in DZ while they are reloading their Vectors.
Is that one you bought?

Arrrammis

It will be interesting to see which loot based shooter holds my attention in April: Destiny or The Division. The Division has such a great world and graphics engine with a ton of potential, but there is simply nothing to do on 80% of the map once you finish the story. Even with incursions coming in April, they need to give players some reason to go back out into the PvE world. Something like Destiny's bounty system, where you are rewarded with credits and other goodies for doing tasks out in the other environments. Most likely I'll end up going back to Destiny when it receives an update, but I am very interested to see what Ubisoft can do with the Division once they have enough time to assess the game in its current state and figure out how to fill in the void.

ERMint13

Randomly match with Cosmos and one of us glitches through the map and is now locked outside the CM mission. This is fun....

void666

Banned
"Unable to leave dark zone while in combat"

... I'M NOT IN COMBAT DAMMIT!

I've been standind still for several minutes. No enemies around me.
I log out and back again. Now i'm in a safe room...

Bruno

You understand that DPS means Damage Per Second right? And that I've been stating that the larger clip gives the MP-5 and Aug better Damage Per Second because it's still pouring out Damage while the Vector reloads? DPS =/= Straight Damage, which is why it varies based on factors like RoF and RPM. As far as single targets outliving a single mag.. you're missing the point. DPS from a larger mag is more valuable in PvE when there are 4 Rushers, 2 Grenadiers, a AR user and a Heavy all pouring down fire on your team. Being able to switch targets immediately is much more advantageous than having to reload sooner.

The difference in the Mag size on an Extended Mag between the Vector and an Aug or MP-5 just gets bigger the larger the mag size. At ~88% that's 10 more rounds per clip which can easily be 80k+ more damage per clip. That's significant.

Gold Div Tech is Rare but not incredibly so. Not if you take the context into account of many players only having so many mats due to exploit farming. Factoring exploit farming into this skews the math. If you actually Run around DZ05 and 06 and farm the Div Tech boxes and enemies, you'll get Div Tech. Moreso if you have high scavenging. People only feel it's abysmal because they exploited their way to huge backlogs of mats from Purple deconstructing so the feel of progression is all out of whack.

Again, the very fact that you were able to craft 100 Vectors speaks to the fact that you were only able to roll that many due to being able to farm a ridiculous amount of purple items extremely quickly. Much faster than ever intended. So of course the Div Tech farming feels molasses level slow in relation.. because it's already slower than the intended purple item acquisition rate and you were able to shortcut that to make it even faster. You're talking "feel" when your experience is from short cutting the lower tier and not being able to short cut the higher tier. But if you're going to talk about the actual feasibility, you should contextualize the intended acquisition rates rather than the exploited ones.

And I'm not trying to cast a negative light on the BK farm or other similar farms. I want to make that clear. I'm saying that as a result of those farms people have poor context as to the relation of tiers of gear acquisition.

DPS over a long period of time means nothing when mobs die in less than 1 magazine worth of shooting. Things die quicker with the Vector both in PvE and PvP. That is not "missing the point" that is EXACTLY the point - I will kill and clear faster using a Vector than I will with an MP5 and I've tested it.

I play with 2 friends 90% of the time (which means we don't have a full party) and we clear Lincoln Tunnel in 9 minutes and Lexington in 8 minutes.

The difference in mag size is 40 on the Vector and 60 on the MP5 and the Vectors bullets hit significantly harder than the MP5.

Gold Division Tech is by far the most rare resource in the game and doing Tech chest routes while killing everything along the way you will be able to craft 4-5 Vectors for every 1 MP5 if you only extract weapons and mods to dismantle. I know so because I've been doing nothing but grinding the DZ to craft weapons and my hours played and DZ rank prove that.

If you feel like you do better with your MP5 - have at it Hoss. I'll continue to destroy everything that stands in front of my Vector. That doesn't mean that if someone is taking advice on what they should be aiming for, the Division Tech should be spent more wisely on the rest of your gear and then the AUG. Vector is the clear choice weapon until you have near perfect gear and afterwards you should be aiming for the perfect AUG - MP5 shouldn't even be in the equation it's a waste of materials and time IMO.

Correct.

I melt heavies without reloading my Vector & no player survives a full magazine of my Vector with explosive ammo unless they have Tactical Link up in which case I just wait until it's over.

"Unable to leave dark zone while in combat"

... I'M NOT IN COMBAT DAMMIT!

I've been standind still for several minutes. No enemies around me.
I log out and back again. Now i'm in a safe room...

You were most likely in combat from a mob that noticed you while you were running around. When that happens check your minimap to confirm.

IoOmF5y.png

^^ In combat

29PKQEV.png

^^ out of combat

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Explosive rounds are a 100% game changer. It's ridiculous how easily they shred players.

I agree, there could be more to do, but even if there were more abilities, I would still stick to pulse and smart cover, as that was the build I had in mind. Kind of makes the rest moot(at least for me).

We'll have to see what incursions brings. Maybe there will be need for special builds.

For now at least yea I understand although invariably that would change later if it those changes were implemented and required other people to have unique builds within their party to beat the challenges. But I somehow don't see that happening as fewer and fewer MMO type games are bothering aiming for the Rock/Paper/Scissors game design and holy trininity/role specific experience in exchange for a more casual experience for players that want to play solo or don't have groups to play with.

Btw I appreciate you taking the time to read the comments and respond in kind. I usually feel like most the things I post here fall on deaf ears. On Reddit they respond... but usually in patronizing ways lol.

erawsd

It will be interesting to see which loot based shooter holds my attention in April: Destiny or The Division. The Division has such a great world and graphics engine with a ton of potential, but there is simply nothing to do on 80% of the map once you finish the story. Even with incursions coming in April, they need to give players some reason to go back out into the PvE world. Something like Destiny's bounty system, where you are rewarded with credits and other goodies for doing tasks out in the other environments. Most likely I'll end up going back to Destiny when it receives an update, but I am very interested to see what Ubisoft can do with the Division once they have enough time to assess the game in its current state and figure out how to fill in the void.

They responded to that concern on the "state of the game", they said they workng on some things to encourage people to engage with the world at max level. They didn't specify on when that would be coming though.

j_rocca42

Anyone on ps4 want to join me in the DZ? No mic at the moment but I'm just running around killing npcs and avoiding other agents for the most part. Grinding to level 50

They responded to that concern on the "state of the game", they said they workng on some things to encourage people to engage with the world at max level. They didn't specify on when that would be coming though.

imo content is not going to keep players interested, but the loot will. I'd rather they focus on small content updates and major loot updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom