• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's The Division |OT2| The Wolves of Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjod

Banned
Crafted a custom M44 yesterday, had to try it. So I see a group with manhunt status running around in DZ01. I sneak up to them and shot one of the dudes with an explosive round, he went down but then his friends saw me. It was like being hit by a train haha. I went down so fast haha.

After waiting a couple of hours I tried booting up The Division and I'm still getting a black screen. I can only hope the server reset on monday or the update will fix this otherwise I'm fucked. And I just hit lv 30 in DZ to.

I think that's a bit strong. I'm sure the code was written a while ago and it wasn't given much thought after the fact. It's obviously an oversight but to say it's indicative of how an entire company operates is a little ridiculous.

I think what they mean is that a lot of content is hard coded into the game and not server side. So there's an expiration date for the game hard coded into it basically.

deadduck

Went all the way to top corner of DZ06 last night to get a rouge, ended up being 4 people outside of the map so could t even see them at all.

Lots of people doing out of bounds boosting.

I honestly don't know why people play a game, not to play a game.

Klyka

Banned
dat exploiting and boosting

"b-but if they didn't w-want us to do this, they should have made a b-better game!"

it's always the same excuse :D

Tecnniqe

Banned
dat exploiting and boosting

"b-but if they didn't w-want us to do this, they should have made a b-better game!"

it's always the same excuse :D

I became this way ever since BK in which they [Massive] had no balls to do anything about it.

Then came Hornet.

Now is DZ (Been there for a while just nobody had a reason to exploit it).

Wait for the next one, its great. Its a FFA.

Klyka

Banned
I became this way ever since BK in which they [Massive] had no balls to do anything about it.

Then came Hornet.

As long as people have fun, I am ok with them doing what they want.

I'm not competing in the same race as they are,so it doesn't really impact me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
As long as people have fun, I am ok with them doing what they want.

I'm not competing in the same race as they are,so it doesn't really impact me.

Oh, I'm of the same opinion. As long as you have fun, whatever.

But the fact that massive let it slide the first time set the tone for the rest of the game.

Klyka

Banned
Oh, I'm of the same opinion. As long as you have fun, whatever.

But the fact that massive let it slide the first time set the tone for the rest of the game.

I guess the whole problem of not being able to patch immediately when you want/need to definitely doesn't help multiplatform online games :(

Tecnniqe

Banned
I guess the whole problem of not being able to patch immediately when you want/need to definitely doesn't help multiplatform online games :(

Yup, thanks to the whole console process :(

Lets just hope 1.1 removes more of the cheese exploits, that way pvp will be much better.

Nohar

So... I got persuaded to buy the game from friends, in order to play with them on PC.

Let's just say I would be very happy to play with them if the game didn't crash so often.

First time I launch the game: I'm stuck on the langage selection screen. Trying to change langage doesn't work... initially. After a few seconds, turns out I unknowingly changed my langage from French to Mandarin Chinese. I try to change it, but nothing happens. After a few tries, I decide to just reboot the game.

Once the game has been rebooted, I stumble on the langage selection screen again (this time, for no particular reason, I'm in windowed mode instead of fullscreen). Turns out that I managed to switch my langage to Mandarin Chinese! Thanksfully, changing the langages actually works now, so I switch the langage back to French (I will switch to English eventually, but right now I just want a game that somehow works).

I manage to see the opening movie... Then, nothing. A black screen. After 2 minutes, I decide to close the game again.

I launch the game again. This time, I'm able to see the cutscene right after the opening movie!... Except this time the game crashes. I'm getting a little annoyed at this point.

I launch the game again^2. After the opening movie and the in-game cutscene, I can actually play!... Err, wait, isn't there supposed to be a character creation screen? Why am I playing a guy? Why does my screen blackens out every few seconds? Why is there a guy with my ID on top of his head getting closing the car's door? What is goi---- Oh. A crash. Again.

I launch the game again^3. Yeah, things seem to actually work this time! Well, it is taking a LONG time to actually boot up and run, but I was able to see the opening movie and opening cutscene without a crash, and I am finally able to create my character. About time. I discover that all my graphical options are at the minimum and that the FPS is kinda low (which is odd, since I've been able to play recent games with decent to high graphical options without losing too much FPS). I play a little and reach what seems to be the HUB. At this point, I needed to leave, so I close the game.

I launch the game again^4. I'm stuck on the "Connecting: [My ID]" screen. After 2 minutes, I close the game.

I launch the game again^5. It seems that it is working. For how long, though, that's the question.

Regarding my computer: I got an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series, the latest drivers, 8go of RAM, running on Windows 7 64 bits, an "Intel Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3100 MHz, 2 cores, 4 processors".

Is my PC the problem? Is Uplay at fault? Is the game known to have serious stability issues? I'm a little disappointed right now, and I'm looking for explanations/solutions.

Nohar - there is a dedicated PC stability thread, you might get better answers/trouble shooting on there.

Afaik aside from the language screen on initial startup there haven't been any widespread issues.

jacobs34

I've been looking forward to playing the dailies for the last couple of days, and have walked away disappointed. I know it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but for a person like me who only has so much time to invest in the game, not having the dailies to run through everyday feels like a big deal.

Then came Hornet.

Joined a group last night that was farming police academy.
Such a simple fix to prevent it by moving the piece of cover that allows you to roll through door.

Hjod

Banned
When you find 2 HE DT in the same box.

happy-gof.gif

Nohar

Nohar - there is a dedicated PC stability thread, you might get better answers/trouble shooting on there.

Afaik aside from the language screen on initial startup there haven't been any widespread issues.

I wasn't aware of that topic. Thank you very much, I'll go there.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Had a group camp as rogues on the beta roof, waited patiently for them to come down, and when they all went on the ladder after timer went out, I rogued them :D

How that spot still exist is beyond me tho. Versus a good group its impossible to get up there.

bati

Haven't even bothered to log in the last 2 days since there are no dailies.

I don't care about the dailies since I've been practically living in the DZ lately but yeah, it's been a while since I've played a game with so many glaring issues:

- gamebreaking glitches that go weeks without getting fixed
- half of the equipment talents either don't work at all or don't work as intended
- most of the weapon talents are pure garbage with absolutely no thought put into them
- new set bonuses are very poorly thought out (50% scavenging after a 100% droprate on named bosses gets introduced, lmao)
- kneejerk reactions to the data they gather, followed by extreme corrections - 80% reduction in phoenix credit drop, item droprate nerfed into oblivion, crafting nerf - followed by 100% droprate the next day (????)
- very poor overall game balance (electronics underwhelming and subject to a low cap that hampers its pve performance), smgs and mmrs outclassing every other weapon type, etc
- backpack issue that locked out some players for 2 weeeks!!!!

And the communication from Massive has been really poor all this time but that's pretty much a standard practice for AAA studios these days so I'm not really surprised.

I still greatly enjoy the game though, DZ is already very fun and it looks like it will be even better after the patch with more concrete incentives for pvp. If they can fix most of the exploits (before it's too late) and work on balancing I could see myself playing this game for a long time.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't care about the dailies since I've been practically living in the DZ lately but yeah, it's been a while since I've played a game with so many glaring issues:

- gamebreaking glitches that go weeks without getting fixed
This is mostly due to consoles and their restriction on patching, forcing them to roll it into bigger patches for verification
- half of the equipment talents either don't work at all or don't work as intended
Half? Really? There are a few that don't work as intended, and 1.1 will fix at least a few of those.
- most of the weapon talents are pure garbage with absolutely no thought put into them
Mostly depends on playstyle/spec, but some are straight up better than others imo
- new set bonuses are very poorly thought out (50% scavenging after a 100% droprate on named bosses gets introduced, lmao)
Nomad set is very poor, 4 set is very nice but the rest is meh at best and you can argue Tactician gear is bad as well, due to the current cap, hope it gets lifted
- kneejerk reactions to the data they gather, followed by extreme corrections - 80% reduction in phoenix credit drop, item droprate nerfed into oblivion, crafting nerf - followed by 100% droprate the next day (????)
That's just wrong, the time between the PC nerf and the crafting and drop has been weeks. PC is hardly difficult to come by at all and if anything almost worthless next patch
- very poor overall game balance (electronics underwhelming and subject to a low cap that hampers its pve performance), smgs and mmrs outclassing every other weapon type, etc
I agree, the cap is too low with the new sets coming out, but a electronics build works VERY well in PvE, especially as a group support but even then solo electro build got crazy damage and 100% uptime. As for weapons I strongly disagree, my shotgun outclass SMGs and my AR outclass DMRs. Play smart, play safe and they ain't got shit on you.
- backpack issue that locked out some players for 2 weeeks!!!!
The fix have been ready for a good while, but as I said earlier they had to roll it into 1.1 as console verification system is shit and takes decades. The time however, have been too long.

And the communication from Massive has been really poor all this time but that's pretty much a standard practice for AAA studios these days so I'm not really surprised.

I still greatly enjoy the game though, DZ is already very fun and it looks like it will be even better after the patch with more concrete incentives for pvp. If they can fix most of the exploits (before it's too late) and work on balancing I could see myself playing this game for a long time.

Klyka

Banned
I think Massive has pretty great communication actually. They are really transparent about changes and have daily livestreams where you can talk directly to the community managers

And using some time form the maintenance to stream the "state of the game" is a good idea as well

C'mon Massive we need stat tracking for player kills and manhunts survived already!

So with scavenging you're pretty much just bumping it up to roughly 6-8% if you go 100+.

No, your scavenging will not affect the chance of getting the drop, only the quality of the drop.

15% or 200% scavenging, 3% HE drop rate is 3% HE drop rate.

from my few manhunt sessions with DeathJR, it's not hard to end up in manhant even if you aren't trying to, if you go rogue at all people will come after you and you have no choice but to kill them all

Fastest way to get xp is rogue tier 1 (1 player kill), run and lose it. Manhunts are super intense and fun but the amount of xp you get is less compared to 5x tier 1 rogue survivals.

I am, currently 83 without boosting.

79 no boost *high-five*

Razgreez

There are no dailies but you do get the creds, at least for CM.

You've always gotten the PC for CM though. I've usually farmed Lexington for PC. Takes about 12- 15 mins a run for 31 to 33 PC, guaranteed HE weapon or gear (mostly gear) and 3 superiors (usually a weapon or gear piece, an armour mod and a weapon mod)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Had a group camp as rogues on the beta roof, waited patiently for them to come down, and when they all went on the ladder after timer went out, I rogued them :D

How that spot still exist is beyond me tho. Versus a good group its impossible to get up there.

Are you talking about the spot near DZ02 west checkpoint, or the root just north of the parking garage with two ropes?

Deku Tree

C'mon Massive we need stat tracking for player kills and manhunts survived already!

No, your scavenging will not affect the chance of getting the drop, only the quality of the drop.

15% or 200% scavenging, 3% HE drop rate is 3% HE drop rate.

I thought quality of the drop meant HE instead of superior. There is no reason to think that they have an internal system that ranks the "quality of drops". What would "quality of drops" mean then? That could be really complicated to code...

Quality means if you get a drop, it will have better stats with higher scavenging.

For instance, if you get a HE ilvl 31 armor drop, with 20% scavenging it may roll with 500 firearms, but with 150% scavenging, it can roll with 550 firearms.

Deku Tree

Quality means if you get a drop, it will have better stats with higher scavenging.

For instance, if you get a HE ilvl 31 armor drop, with 20% scavenging it may roll with 500 firearms, but with 150% scavenging, it can roll with 550 firearms.

How do you know that for sure?
Edit: ok I see it in the Discord

Tecnniqe

Banned

Code:
 maxLength = 1, text = \"Scavenging\""
                myOriginalFormula "LootChanceModFinal + LootMagicFindFinal"

bati

I'll just copy paste your text in bold for better visibility:

This is mostly due to consoles and their restriction on patching, forcing them to roll it into bigger patches for verification

There have been cases of console games getting hotfixed in the past and considering how big some of the issues in TD are (relative to the nature of the game, if it was singleplayer no one would bat an eye) I think that should've been the case here. I think the real reason is that Massive probably had extensive help in the engine/programming department from other Ubi studios and they're likely waiting on them before they can even start fixing some of these issues. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, things are what they are and the fact is that a large scale multiplayer game still has gamebreaking glitches a month after release.

Half? Really? There are a few that don't work as intended, and 1.1 will fix at least a few of those.

Half might be a stretch but the last time I checked reddit the tally was at 12 talents and those got discovered because they were popular due to how good they sounded on paper. I don't even want to guess how many of the undesirable talents don't work as intended.

Mostly depends on playstyle/spec, but some are straight up better than others imo

I mean talents like these:

Commanding: Every kill performed while the signature skill is active extends its duration by x%.
Dominant: Every kill while your signature skill is active reduces the cooldown of your other skills by x%.
Intense: The first bullet of a magazine has a x% chance to apply the 'on fire' status effect.
Provident: The last bullet in your magazine deals x% bonus damage.
Proficient: The first bullet shot when out of combat has a x% chance to result in a critical hit.
Restored: Killing a target with this weapon removes all negative status effects. (you can't shoot when affected by most status effects)

These are just the worst offenders, then there's another third of them that are so badly outclassed by others that it's just silly. I can't help but think that the talents were put into place very early on and as the game changed during development they simply never adjusted them. One problem that a lot of them share is the numbers balance - on kill bonuses are pretty insignificant when you match them versus challenge mode targets and the TTK there. This is very much a rookie mmo dev mistake, too many things are balanced around normal gameplay (leveling, etc) and do not account for harder content in the game and the scaling issues it introduces. This is why talents like Brutal and Deadly are so popular - not only because people like big numbers but because they are great passive talents that are always on and don't rely on any triggers or special circumstances to activate.

Nomad set is very poor, 4 set is very nice but the rest is meh at best and you can argue Tactician gear is bad as well, due to the current cap, hope it gets lifted

Yes I was really disappointed when I saw the Nomad bonuses. I really hope that these sets will come with signature stats on them, that could salvage it. If however they can roll the same stats as the HE gear currently does then I see absolutely no reason to ever wear the Nomad set. Striker set is just insane and needs to toned down, Tactician is ignoring the current limitations like you said, but at least the Sentry set seems ok, though I think that they shoud limit the stacking mark debuff to 1 instead of 3.

That's just wrong, the time between the PC nerf and the crafting and drop has been weeks. PC is hardly difficult to come by at all and if anything almost worthless next patch

I wasn't implying that PC and crafting nerf came at the same time. The point I was trying to make was that PC per named enemy kill was reduced from 10-15 (correct me if I'm wrong, I was late to the endgame party) to 1-3. That is ~85% reduction! Not to mention that they left all other PC prices as they were before the nerf. This tells me a couple of things:

a) They haven't done their research on how the hardcore players play the arpgs when they're released
b) They implement changes based on the top 5% of the players - this is both good and bad, these nerfs always hit the casual players the hardest
c) When implementing balance changes they don't have the big picture in mind, otherwise they would have adjusted PC prices on things like rerolling accordingly

And yeah, PC is worthless now - to the players who spent 250h on the game since release. But there are a lot of players out there who are just now hitting 30 and still trying to get enough PCs to buy their first weapon blueprint.

I agree, the cap is too low with the new sets coming out, but a electronics build works VERY well in PvE, especially as a group support but even then solo electro build got crazy damage and 100% uptime. As for weapons I strongly disagree, my shotgun outclass SMGs and my AR outclass DMRs. Play smart, play safe and they ain't got shit on you.

Electronics damage is garbage. The biggest hitter is the sticky BFB which is capped at 250k. If you're lucky you'll hit 3-4 enemies at once and proc the 40% talent bonus. If you're lucky enough to have a Caduceus you'll spend the next 10 seconds or so trying to land the 15-20 headshots required to reset your cooldowns, otherwise you'll just wait the full 30s for the skill to come off the cooldown. In this time most of the enemies will die and you'll be able to fire another 250k sticky at the lone enemy who's down to his last sliver of health. Meanwhile the SMG user is spitting out 120k crits from smart cover with pulse up, at 1000 rpm. And the sniper in your group is shitting on enemies with 500k crits, using a purple m1a. Good luck competing with that.

This relegates the electronics builds to CC/buff role. For CC you don't even need to stack skill power, you only need Caduceus because Coolheaded is % based anyway so short cooldown don't offer any benefit. For buffing you're better off splitting your stats into firearms/sta and get to decent SP (20k) with SP mods on gear and gear slots. Your team will be better off with 3.5 half dps and a half decent buffer than 3 dps and a full time zero dps buffer. And lastly, there's the issue of electronics being limited to 2 skills + ultimate. If it was 3 I think the spec would be much more desirable but as it is I just don't think it's worth it.

I won't even get into your comment about shotties and ARs because it's pretty clear you haven't used a good rolled SMG or m1a with balanced if you think that these two weapons can be outclassed by anything that's currently available in the shotgun/AR category.

tldr: When it comes to design and game balance The Division is currently in Jay Wilson phase. It could become really great over time but it's still unfortunate that they've made so many of the same mistakes as the other developers before them.

GazzaGSi

I had a SOCOM SCAR-H drop for me tonight, which was basically my first (USEFUL) HE weapon drop. Numbers wise it doesn't seem as powerful as my AK, but the gun seems to pack a serious punch & it has the +18% armor damage talent -- so at the very least, I'm going to switch between the two.

Have a safe night dude, we will catch up tomorrow.

Was good fun again with you guys in the DZ, although I'm still pissed at that rogue punk that glitched through the wall who we were chasing down, just lame.

Checked my stats when I left and the gear I'm using has +84% increased kill XP so that'll explain the 3 levels gained last night :)

Deku Tree

They need better protections against having huge teams on the same server. Even though allowing you to leave your group was part of the original game design. I know it's fun to dominate but it's also pretty cheap to have 8v1 or even 8v4 going on. Also it's cheap to have one group go rogue on you and then have their friends step in front to force you to go rogue.

Wolfe

After having such shit rolls on equipment it was nice getting a 9k dmg BM-AK with destructive/responsive/brutal on my second weapon roll. Maybe not the best talent combo but at least better than the first roll I made.

Still can't activate either of the talents though lol.

Mentok

Banned
Last night I seemed to have great luck with my rolls. Crafted 2 CQBscopes with crit chance (out of 4 crafted) and then purchased the BMAK and crafted balanced, brutal and intense. Pretty damn lucky for me!

I don't know what it was about last night, but I too saw a lot of hacking/glitching rogues. Especially warpers.....my group changed servers at least 3 times before finding one that was decent (had one guy using the rehab glitch, but that was it). The highlight of the night, we decided to go rogue on a group of (what we thought were) randoms. One of the guys in our party gets a message, turns out we just destroyed his buddy on his friends' list.....there are no friends in the DZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom