• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Vire

Question, is the 360/PS3 version adequate compared to PC or are you really missing out if you don't have the PC version?

Don't think my rig can run this right. :(

Vire

I'm playing the PS3 version. Still gorgeous.

Gracias.

Man, I dunno what to do then. I was kinda saving my money for God of War Ascension, Bioshock Infinite and Heart of The Swarm, but the positive impressions + what I saw on my brother's computer has me excited...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Question, is the 360/PS3 version adequate compared to PC or are you really missing out if you don't have the PC version?

Don't think my rig can run this right. :(

Been playing the 360 version, it's stunning. Looks better than Halo 4 with superior performance to boot.

HiiiLife

I just got
the part where the Oni appear for the very first time.

Holy shit this game is pretty cool. I only gave it an hour around midnight but after putting in a couple more, I'm really enjoying this game.

RkOwnage

I am playing the PC version w/ an Xbox 360 controller, and I've had some instances where my controller cut off and when I cut it back on, it's defaulted to the PC controls. The only way so far I've found to revert back to 360 controller is to completely restart...does anyone else know of another way? Seems kinda frustrating if the only way is to restart.

Any help?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm playing on the PS3 and it's great. I'm not sensitive to framerates, but I do notice if there's big drops. So far I haven't come across any in the 2 or 3 hours I've played.

Nizz

Alright so I just reached the third save point and decided to call it a day. I went back to the first two areas to collect a bunch of trinkets and things, which was pretty fun. I miss this kind of exploration, limited as it may be, in the Uncharted games. Weird thing though - I got a map and collected all the items in the first two areas, but it says I'm only 61% complete in that area. What am I missing?

I started the game kinda meh on the whole thing, as it didn't really impress me very much and the game does a lot of hand holding. But into my second hour the game started to open up a little and I started to get more into the game. I will say though, and this might be considered blasphemy in this thread, but Camilla Luddington's voice acting is pretty bad at times; she doesn't really have the ability to hit the emotional spectrum that the character seems to require of her. The rest of the characters are surprisingly voiced better (so far at least).

The combat seems pretty fun, although my accuracy with the bow is horrendous. However the first time I fought wolves in the wild (i.e. not in a QTE) it was pretty harrowing and fun. I look forward to messing around with the combat system in subsequent play sessions.

I will say this though - Nixxes really knows how to make the PS3 sing. This game looks gorgeous, and I daresay it rivals Uncharted considering the levels are significantly larger. The framerate doesn't really suffer either, so I'm glad to have picked this up on PS3.

So, positive impressions so far, but it's not blowing me away. Definitely better than Uncharted 3 so far at least.
Man, these impressions are nudging me to pick this game up. I usually wait a bit for some price drops since games seem to get discounted kind of quick nowadays but I kind of want to play this.

Question though, are aim/zoom and shoot mapped to L1/R1? Underworld was mapped to the triggers (yuck) with no option to switch. :/

DukeBobby

The
Shanty Town
area was definitely the worst part of the game so far. Wave after wave of enemies, with my frame rate fluctuating like crazy.

Thankfully, the game has become awesome again.

So they're not bullet sponges like Uncharted?

One thing I didn't like about Uncharted shooting. When a handgun is the best weapon than there's something kind of off.

Sort of the same as uncharted. Funnily enough they are bullet sponges with the shotgun and assault rifle but not the bow or handgun with head shots.

It is pretty funny actually to unload a clip into a guy who gets up fine versus one lone arrow taking out the next.

Same applies to Lara I suppose. Shot about a hundred times? No worries. One stick in her side at the start of the game? She bitches about it for the whole adventure.

Ahasverus

saw this on reddit, we have come far.
uELy5mU_zpse4f86883.jpg

And I was there... *manly tears*

Varna

Finally got to the big
rape
scene and yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. Just like the deer scene people made this out to be some kind Other M character break down scene and that simply isn't what happened in either case.

The bit of dialogue that seemed somewhat out of place for me is the the whole
End it now > Go to hell exchange
. That one is a bit weird because just a few moments earlier Lara had
warned the guards there was no need for violence
when beginning an encounter.

Sort of the same as uncharted. Funnily enough they are bullet sponges with the shotgun and assault rifle but not the bow or handgun with head shots.

It is pretty funny actually to unload a clip into a guy who gets up fine versus one lone arrow taking out the next.

Same applies to Lara I suppose. Shot about a hundred times? No worries. One stick in her side at the start of the game? She bitches about it for the whole adventure.

OK, thanks.

The bow is fun so I guess I'll just use that a lot!

Sober

pad or m/kb?
Honestly either is fine. There doesn't seem to be any aim assist with the pad either, so you might level up slightly faster from being able to pull headshots off a bit easier, but I've had no problem and I rarely use the pad for shooting, much less precision stuff, but it works fine.

Unless you mean MP, no way you want to walk into that with a pad.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol, ALL of the pre-order DLC is already up for sale.

People crying about the lack of Jacket for Lara, guess you can buy the Aviatrix outfit...

1cmanny1

That hair kills my frame rate! It looks awesome though, shame I have to turn it off.

I am loving this game. I like the survival feel of it.

REV 09

about 2 hours in, but i'm having a tough time getting hooked on the game. something just isn't connecting with me. Not sure if it's the new Lara or not, but the overall story is kinda meh. Still very early though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
lol, ALL of the pre-order DLC is already up for sale.

People crying about the lack of Jacket for Lara, guess you can buy the Aviatrix outfit...

People are crying about a jacket? Or is this just fabricated hate from a nebulous and imaginary group of "haters"? She only wore a jacket off and on throughout the series. I'm surprised there's no short shorts DLC.

Animator

I like the game and want to see how the story unfolds but holy shit whoever came up with that shaky cam 24/7 shit needs to get fired. I am getting motion sickness playing the damn game because of the constant camera shake.

Also the whole "Lara jumps on something which breaks and she ends up falling and doing something to save herself in the last second" gig is getting a bit old because of how many times it happened so far.

REV 09

also, the bow isn't particularly good in this. Coming off of Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 (i know, different games), but it just isn't very satisfying to shoot. Maybe some of the upgrades will make it more fun.

Ceebs

also, the bow isn't particularly good in this. Coming off of Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 (i know, different games), but it just isn't very satisfying to shoot. Maybe some of the upgrades will make it more fun.

I think it is quite satisfying. Especially when you thunk a dude in the chest and it knocks him back far enough to send him over a cliff.

TripOpt55

I feel like one moment I am liking the game more and then the next a little less. I just did a section that was heavy on combat. I think up to that point exploration outweighed combat, but then all the sudden. The combat is fine, just not exactly why I play the series. After that (or in the middle... I don't know), I went back to explore some old areas and there is some fun exploration and traversal in some of the hubs.

Overall I'm still enjoying this quite a bit.

Epcott

Loving the game so far and the detail, but the QTEs are annoying as shit.

I beg the Crystal Overlords that they do not subject us to these in the future. Hated them in Anniversary... Hate them here.

Cheska

I'm playing the PS3 version. Still gorgeous.

Been playing the 360 version, it's stunning. Looks better than Halo 4 with superior performance to boot.

Does it look better once the game opens up or something? Not very far in, but nothing I'm seeing really stands out so far. I'm playing on the PS3 and while I do think it looks good, I don't feel it's looks as good as some other games that have come out earlier in the consoles lifespan.

Top Bottom