• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

TheDanger

Banned
I still have to wait until tomorrow, so stoked to play this. Amazon UK said my package will arrive tomorrow, but when I track the package it's still somewhere in the UK and I live in Austria.

SmithnCo

Couple hours in and I really like it. The environments and sound design are top notch. Just got the shotgun and it seems fun to use.

Just completed it. Great game overall but not a great Tomb Raider game for my taste. Next time more elaborate tombs/temples and less massacre please.
The Island itself looked great with all the day,night and weather cycles. But still it was way to linear. I mean, when you get an upgrade or a new tool, you can use it from then onward. I never got a new tool and realized I could use that on something I encountered a long way back. So no real Metroidvania/Arkham Asylum there.
The gameplay was great but we have all seen it before. Even the story was mostly lifted from the first two seasons of LOST, but fitted in the Tomb Raider tradition. But Lara's character development was just dumb... 'Oh I killed a guy, woe is me...' *one day later* 'Yeah... just killed 200 more, bring 'em on!'. Trust me, it has nothing to do with the concept of survival.
But I really enjoyed playing through it, and now I'm gonna hunt down those last collectibles.

And by the way, I really liked
Lara using dual pistols at the end when she blasts Osmund Saddler erhm... Mathias to his doom.
Classic!

Dead

well not really...yet
So heres a really dumb thing that bugs me

switching to gun makes the arrow quiver on Lara's back disappear.

why?!?!

Dead

well not really...yet
Curently in the Mountain Village, and there are so many bars to fill! I don't know where to begin :3

Gonna call it a night and pick it back up tomorrow. Game is great so far.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The cook and Sam seemed alright. Everyone else though? Yeah total assholes.
That sounds like the Tomb Raider tradition. The only interesting character is Lara herself. :p

And now for something completely different; I love your avatar.

Pachimari

Got this game yesterday, can't wait to get going with it. Looks like something I always wanted Tomb Raider to be, I just hope it doesn't have as many shoot-outs as Uncharted, that kind of kills it for me. Anyway, gotta complete God of War: Ascension first.

And done

This is the most explodingest, things-falling-apart games I've ever played. It's a better one of these than any of the Uncharted games if you can get past how shitty the characters are.

HiiiLife

Put in about 4-5 hours of game time. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm about %50 percent done but right now I'm taking a break to find collectables.

Fabrik

Banned
The optional tombs are fantastic. What a shame they are so short. A sequel with bigger tombs and more challenging puzzles across multiple rooms would take the game next to Zelda status.

RagnarokX

My god the shootout sections in this game are just awful. Wave after wave after wave of dudes shooting at you and throwing molotov coctails and dynamite at you.

derFeef

My god the shootout sections in this game are just awful. Wave after wave after wave of dudes shooting at you and throwing molotov coctails and dynamite at you.

At least you can move around freely and have some fun with it how you aprpoach them. I don't see the firefights bore me so much as in UC or SpecOPS or other medicore TPS games.

Sid

So I'm 3 hours into the game and yes this beats Uncharted on pretty much every level,it's simply more fun IDK if that'll change later on though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for answering. I wasn't really planning on picking this game up so soon but I might have to see how my check is this week and get it. These impressions sound great.

I'll tell you that so far it isn't really blowing me away, but then again I'm only in the first two hours or so. You can definitely tell it's a quality game though.

DieH@rd

Banned
So is this linear or open world? There are people in the TR vs Uncharted thread comparing it with the Batman games and RDR.

Story is linear, but you traverse through hubs and you can always return to those hubs and use newly found gear to access new pieces of terrain/find new stuff.

Absolutory love the sense of progression with all the upgrades and new skills you end up getting....

The fact that the character model gradually looks more tired and worn-out as you play is great too.

Fabrik

Banned
So is this linear or open world? There are people in the TR vs Uncharted thread comparing it with the Batman games and RDR.

I'm at least 5 hours in and it feels you can go back to old areas to explore more but so far the story doesn't require any backtracking so it's not really a Metroidvania yet. The exploring is optional at the moment.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a loooooong time. It gives me the warm fuzzies the same way games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, KOTOR, Final Fantasy VII, and indeed the original Tomb Raider did. The feeling you are playing something truly special. I'm renting it, but I think I might buy my own copy. The game deserves success.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a loooooong time. It gives me the warm fuzzies the same way games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, KOTOR, Final Fantasy VII, and indeed the original Tomb Raider did. The feeling you are playing something truly special. I'm renting it, but I think I might buy my own copy. The game deserves success.

ibehvBaxBPZVX1.gif

Was all set to fire this one up last night after installing my retail copy, but typical steam wanted to download a few gigs more, despite me having the game on disc! Which meant I had to go to sleep and now I'm at work, so basically delaying me for 16 more hours. I don't know why Steam gets a free pass, but every other platform gets slated. It's every bit as annoying.

Ah well, I'll check it out this evening.

HiiiLife

Okay I told myself I enjoyed multiplayer. But now after playing a few matches.. Eh. Now I couldn't care less. I really do like the campaign though. But since we keep comparing this to Uncharted, I'll take UC2's multiplayer over this.

meta4

Okay I told myself I enjoyed multiplayer. But now after playing a few matches.. Eh. Now I couldn't care less. I really do like the campaign though. But since we keep comparing this to Uncharted, I'll take UC2's multiplayer over this.

UC2 multi shits all over this.

Reknoc

Not massively far but I am enjoying the game for what it is. I just really wish what it was was less shootbang and more, uh, tombraid, I guess.

Still a little disappointed it's not Tomb Raider meets Lost in Blue though, that they made it sound like when it was first revealed. lol

Top Bottom