• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Hopefully I'll get the game tomorr...wait...today (12:17 a.m. in Germany) . So I can answer some questions to those who are still undecided about purchasing this game.

1. I like Tomb Raider (not all of them though)
2. I LOVE Uncharted (Uncharted 3 was ...mediocre...disappointing imo)
3. I LOVE Arkham Asylum (Metroidvania Style) and Alan Wake (Atmosphere).. The new Tomb Raider seems to be comparable to these games
4. I don't have any interest in playing multiplayer (but I'll try it...maybe)

So, I'm really looking forward to this game.

Hopefully I'll get the game tomorr...wait...today (12:17 a.m. in Germany) . So I can answer some questions to those who are still undecided about purchasing this game.

3. I LOVE Arkham Asylum (Metroidvania Style) and Alan Wake (Atmosphere).. The new Tomb Raider seems to be comparable to these games

this is pretty much me too, with a bit less of a 'love' on Uncharted, and a bit more than 'like' on Tomb Raider. If a game has killer atmosphere and good gameplay, I'm all over it. Reviews seem pretty consistent on this game achieving those two things.

Bought...hope the pc version is well optimized.
Nixxes don't generally fuck up there. You mightn't be able to turn on all the advanced features and maintain a high resolution and framerate, but the game will run very well at similar to console details with PC resolutions, and you'll have lots of nice effects to try out in order to use up some of that overhead you'd no doubt have just playing at console detail levels. The same people ported Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Tomb Raider Underworld. All really good ports that were well optimized and offered plenty of enhancements for higher end systems while still being nice and scalable.

Andrew.

Banned
Oddly, I feel like diving into Alan Wake again before this releases. Maybe grow a pair and try Nightmare mode for once.

RagnarokX

I've asked this in other threads, and may have missed the answer, but I'm not seeing 'plenty' of games doing what this Tomb Raider does. I can think of three that are worth anyone's time.

There's been as many games THIS GEN in the Tomb Raider series. I don't see this abundance of Uncharted clones. If we count both the Wii and 360/PS3 Forgotten Sands from this gen in the 'like Tomb Raider' bucket, there's already been more worthwhile Tomb Raider-esque games this gen than there has been Uncharted esque games.

Yes, this new game is more like Uncharted and people that preferred the old style of game over Uncharted don't like that. What I don't concur with is the notion that there is anything more than a handful of games like Uncharted. I mean, presuming we're defining that narrowly enough to rule out Tomb Raider Underworld, what out there is MORE like Uncharted than Underworld was?

And given the new things this Tomb Raider adds to the formula (because let's not pretend it's a straight Uncharted clone) even if some elements that used to exist have been made more like Uncharted, the final game isn't much more like Uncharted than before. yes, the platforming and shooting is now more like Uncharted, but the exploration, side quests, semi open world, RPG and weapon upgrade systems and what have you aren't things I remember from any Uncharted game. Whereas Underworld was a game a lot like an Uncharted game that put more of a focus on puzzles and platforming than it did combat.

Again, I see how a fan of the old style of game might not like the new game, but the notion that THIS Tomb Raider is just aping the mainstream and the previous ones were some unique special thing... is complete nonsense.

Third person shooters; games that focus heavily on shooting, as opposed to platforming and puzzle solving. If they wanted to really be different maybe they could have taken away the combat altogether. Would you say there are more games where combat is the focus or where platforming and puzzle solving is the focus?

If they want to add RPG elements and semi open world, fine. The big problem is the reduced emphasis on puzzles, and the semi-open world is hampered by the severe amount of handholding and scripting going on. The game compares mostly with Arkham Asylum, with much fewer puzzles, harder to get lost, and less interesting combat because you just snipe or shoot everyone.

I see puzzles in this game, and I think "Why couldn't the whole game be like this? Why did there have to be 3 hours of shooting and scripted sequences between these fleeting moments?"

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
image.php

Haha. For all their faults, the RE stories are quite entertaining. How could you not like Wesker hamming it up in RE5?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You're complaining about this? The game is TRYING to be a cinematic adventure. The onus is on the developers to justify the kind of gameplay they put in the game to move the narrative along. If those don't match up, a reviewer's complaints are 100% valid. No one told CD to put a bunch of cutscenes into the game, or make an origin story, or make the game so character focused, but since they did, the gameplay damn well better make sense in context. If a survival story turns into a standard third person shooter with an inexperienced protagonist killing hundreds of enemies with callous precision, it seems fair to criticize the gameplay for not tying into a narrative which is a MAJOR part of the presentation.

I understand that it might bother people more than myself. It happens so often, I can hardly be upset by it. I actually knew it would happen. Fortunately the game itself is very strong and it was quite easy to overlook this.

Third person shooters; games that focus heavily on shooting, as opposed to platforming and puzzle solving. If they wanted to really be different maybe they could have taken away the combat altogether. Would you say there are more games where combat is the focus or where platforming and puzzle solving is the focus?

If they want to add RPG elements and semi open world, fine. The big problem is the reduced emphasis on puzzles, and the semi-open world is hampered by the severe amount of handholding and scripting going on. The game compares mostly with Arkham Asylum, with much fewer puzzles, harder to get lost, and less interesting combat because you just snipe or shoot everyone.

I would say there are lots of games that focus on platforming and puzzle solving and lots of games that focus on shooting, but very few games that do BOTH, whether they focus more on shooting, platforming or puzzle solving.

I haven't played it yet, but the dozen or so reviews I read all praised the action elements. Even the Machinima review said the action was well done.

I wouldn't personally classify Uncharted as a third person shooter. It's more of an action adventure game to me. It definitely influenced a lot of games in terms of scripted sequences, linearity and trying to be cinematic. I'd put things like Gears and Max Payne in the third person shooter bracket.

Again, I haven't played this yet, but the Arkham games have very few real puzzles, and nothing that sounds like the optional puzzles included here. I'd put those firmly in action adventure too.

I guess the disconnect between you and me, is that I've always seen both games as action adventure, with one a bit more towards the action end of the continuum, and the other a bit more towards the adventure side. What I see as a slight shift along that continuum you see a flipped bit tantamount to a complete change of genre.

I see a game that has the things I expect to see in a Tomb Raider game. I just see a bit more action that I'd expect and a bit less platforming and puzzle solving than I'd expect. It still looks like a fun adventure in the kinds of environments I prefer the series to focus on (which it hasn't always done to the degree I'd like). It still looks like a Tomb Raider game. Uncharted was never so different as to avoid the Dude Raider tag early on, because there are plenty of similarities between both games. Tomb Raider 2 had way more action than Tomb Raider 1. Tomb Raider 3 had way fewer tombs than Tomb Raider 1. I still enjoyed them.

We're not going to agree, obviously because our perspectives on this are completely different. But I still see plenty of platformers on the market. I still see plenty of action adventures. I still see plenty of third person shooters. So I look at that, and I shrug.

About the same feelings and history as well. Granted I loved Uncharted 3 is the only difference. And I love Tomb Raider. Take that for what you will. Though the only thing I think it reminds me of concerning Arkham Asylum is with abilities you can go back later in previous area to find things, and the map.

RagnarokX

This game isn't anything like Arkham Asylum.

The level design, linear progression, detective mode, and traversal lean heavily towards Arkham Asylum; especially with the rope arrow. But it's different in that in Arkham Asylum it wasn't as obvious where to go and how to go there, and most enemy encounters were puzzles. You didn't have glowing ledges and bundles or rope showing you the way.

chrono01

That's really...really stupid. What use is the Scavenger code when the event has ended? They might as well remove the "bonus" from their site. ~_~

Oh well, I'll still go with Amazon.ca purely for the art book. I prefer the Aviatrix skin, but the Hunter one doesn't look "bad". At least I can view the Final Hours documentary on my PC, since I don't have a Kindle.

I just bought the survival edition for $399 pesos (about $31.50 dollars)in the mexican origin store. It's hard to hate on EA with the low prices they offer in the origin store in general; I had just bought Dead Space 3 LE and pre-ordered SimCity LE a couple of weeks ago for 499 and 799 pesos, about 39 and 62.5 dollars according to google.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The level design, linear progression, detective mode, and traversal lean heavily towards Arkham Asylum; especially with the rope arrow. But it's different in that in Arkham Asylum it wasn't as obvious where to go and how to go there, and most enemy encounters were puzzles. You didn't have glowing ledges and bundles or rope showing you the way.

They share design but play radically differently.

fuenf

I'm 2 to 3 hours in and I. It's great and so far none of the common complains bother me. I actually really like what they are trying to do with the game. I think most of the criticism is nitpicking and the negativity is coming from guys who don't like the general direction this game is going for. Disclaimer: I love games like Heavy Rain & Uncharted so I've no troubles with QTE's or a cinematic gameplay experience. I actually think that these methods enhance the storystelling and I wish more games would go into that direction.

Eventhough I haven't spent much time with the game I already experienced some "Tomb Raider" moments that threw me back to the old games. It might look and play like Uncharted but I find it far more open and it encourages exploring the areas you are currently in. My biggest complain is the lackluster facial animation of the characters and as a result most characters look really stiff. As of right now it's definitely Tomb Raider x Uncharted and not the other way around, but that might change later on.

The PS3 version looks great overall but unfortunately there are some noticeable slow downs every now and then.

Regarding Lara's transition to 'mass murderer' (not really a spoiler, just to be safe):
I had no trouble believing it, it makes more sense than in most other action-adventure game. Sure the number of guys she kills is excessive, but I see most of the enemies as gameplay elements / obstacles and don't register their deaths as 'story kills'

Philia

I've captured these from Youtube videos but hopefully this will give you some idea (of course the resolution will be better on your console/PC).

These are all from early game so I hope people don't consider these to be spoilers - let me know if so and I'll hide the images.

Subtitles

They are in bright, DVD-esque colours and surrounded by black boxes. They are easy to read but quite garish - they change colour depending on who's speaking.

Flavour Text

You have to manually access these from the menus but they look clear and easy to read - white text on a black background:

Thank you very much! I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.

With that, I think the subtitles are fine and I'll be able to play and enjoy the game then. :D

chrono01

I just cancelled my Amazon pre-order and switched to Best Buy instead. The fact that we don't get the Scavenger Hunt code anyway [since it'll be useless after release], and that the Aviatrix DLC looks better than the slightly muddier Lara [now with Camo PANTS!] helped me make the decision. Also, I'm really interested in getting the comic, since the art in the art book [from Amazon] will likely be in the full version of the book, along with much more.

Also, I attained some Reward Points, so that should help me somewhat in the near future.

ViviOggi

I understand that it might bother people more than myself. It happens so often, I can hardly be upset by it. I actually knew it would happen. Fortunately the game itself is very strong and it was quite easy to overlook this.

It's pretty sad that ludonarrative dissonance is such a common thing. For me it's a total deal breaker.

I wonder what's gonna be the next fad for clones after Uncharted. We've used to have Doom clones, Street Fighter rip-offs, I lost count how many damn furry mascot platformers we had during the 16-bit era. What's the next hot trend?

My guess? Trading card adventure games

I wonder what's gonna be the next fad for clones after Uncharted. We've used to have Doom clones, Street Fighter rip-offs, I lost count how many damn furry mascot platformers we had during the 16-bit era. What's the next hot trend?

Uncharted is hardly in the position to say it has "clones" on the level of Doom and Street Fighter.

Biggzy

preordered the PC version from Amazon last night using the CAGROCKS code... hope it's optimized better than Far Cry 3 was.

Also, I didn't get any Scavenger Hunt code yet.

this.

Far Cry 3 was optimised right up to the point you enabled MSAA - that framerate drop was brutal.

For posterity's sake, someone please release a video of experimenting with the platforming.

Is it magnetic? Do you need to hold down forward on the analog stick to complete the jump? Do you have air control? Can you kill yourself?

dreamfall

For posterity's sake, someone please release a video of experimenting with the platforming.

Is it magnetic? Do you need to hold down forward on the analog stick to complete the jump? Do you have air control? Can you kill yourself?

Very curious about this. I'm hoping you can kill yourself with ease, as in it isn't magnetic/directed!

Does anyone know when the preload begins/ what's the size? It's time to clear space on the hard drive in anticipation!

fuenf

It depends, so far I havent had any trouble doing the 'level progression' jumps. It's like Uncharted or Prince of Persia (2008) you simply run towards the jump, press jump and Lara will fly towards the next plattform / ledge. I can't say for sure because I didnt try it, but it's nearly impossible to miss a ledge/ platform jump. You can jump around, though, and explore certain areas, fall / jump off some stuff etc.

I have the preorder bonus installed and my fall damage is reduced, but I nearly killed Lara by jumping of a plattform and falling down (I didn't miss any plattform, I simply jumped in the wrong direction).

edit: there's a fairly common jump + wall run upwards move that requires you to press jump two times. it's not hard to do but you have to get the timing right.

All in all I can say that jumping isnt that complex, but it's nonetheless fun to jump around.

That machinima review is brutal. Mixing it with the rev3 video I saw, I'll hold off

I was getting pretty excited for this... and then I watched the Machinima review. They really tore it apart. That being said, some of the footage looks very impressive. I just hope the gameplay's fun enough to back it up. The mere mention of Metroid/exploration elements is enough to tempt me...

The Machinima review lost all credibility the moment the reviewer said that “it’s easy to forget about Nathan Drakes murderous rampage because he's charming but in Tomb Raider it’s a problem.” I mean come on, talk about nonsense. I still can’t believe that was said. I find the whole notion that these characters are mass murderers to be a completely ridiculous argument.......but if you see it as a problem wouldn’t the fact that the Uncharted games being more light hearted and paint the killings in a more ‘comedic’ light be more of an issue opposed to Tomb Raider at least attempting to make it look like you have no choice but to fight back and survive your brutal surroundings? The more serious tone of Tomb Raider helps it.

By the way that review is pretty much the only really negative one amongst a sea of glowing reviews. It seems a bit silly to just focus just on that one.

Spazznid

My guess is whining about clones...

The wait is killing me.

Amir0x

Banned
fuenf said:
It's like Uncharted or Prince of Persia (2008) you simply run towards the jump, press jump and Lara will fly towards the next plattform / ledge. I can't say for sure because I didnt try it, but it's nearly impossible to miss a ledge/ platform jump.

Not like this is new news (I been played the demo and read like a zillion impressions) but such shitty design is enough to make the hairs stand up on any head. Such a shame, collapsing the core of the series into oblivion. And now we have zero games like what we lost. :(

Not like this is new news (I been played the demo and read like a zillion impressions) but such shitty design is enough to make the hairs stand up on any head. Such a shame, collapsing the core of the series into oblivion. And now we have zero games like what we lost. :(

I like that kind of platforming :c

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Beaten with 78% complete.

Like I said in the other thread, I have always been a huge Tomb Raider fan. This game isn't really anything like the older ones though. It reinvents itself as an Action/Adventure game much like Resident Evil 4 reinvented that series. It succeeds much the same way, as an incredibly tightly paced game. I feel that it can stand easily next to the Uncharted series. In actuality, it is easily a better game than the first or third and I feel that is indeed better than 2.

Top Bottom