• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

K' Dash

I cancelled my preorder and ordered again with the code, you can't go wrong, I mean, PC version with the obvious advantages for $33? I feel like thieve, lol.

GlassBox

Banned
The last Tomb Raider trilogy (Legend - Underworld) had similar platforming in that it was pretty difficult to miss a jump, and then troubles were mainly pressing the wrong direction due to the crappy camera that kept changing.

If there's no way to fail, is it actually platforming?

I mean I'm still interested in this game, but I'm definitely not a huge fan of the Uncharted style of platforming.

Derrick01

Banned
If there's no way to fail, is it actually platforming?

I mean I'm still interested in this game, but I'm definitely not a huge fan of the Uncharted style of platforming.

No. Even Sly Cooper has slightly tougher platforming and that series is considered a joke as far as being a platformer.

Amir0x

Banned
o_-

Dear God.

It is though. It's just developers having no trust in gamers, viewing them all as skilless pussies (and this is probably starting to be the case given how games treat people today) and just wanting them to go to their next overdesigned setpiece where they can take control away completely and show the bloated nonsensical narrative. It's all developer ego - they so desperately want to impress people every second that they consider any impediment to progress, where people actually have to - *gasp* - apply skills learned in a meaningful fashion as non-kosher.

These are hardly platforming segments; they're really pretty hand-hold hallways. Just like Uncharted.

Beaten with 78% complete.

Like I said in the other thread, I have always been a huge Tomb Raider fan. This game isn't really anything like the older ones though. It reinvents itself as an Action/Adventure game much like Resident Evil 4 reinvented that series. It succeeds much the same way, as an incredibly tightly paced game. I feel that it can stand easily next to the Uncharted series. In actuality, it is easily a better game than the first or third and I feel that is indeed better than 2.

I like these impressions. Man I am getting hyped for the PC release.

Like I said in the other thread, I have always been a huge Tomb Raider fan. This game isn't really anything like the older ones though. It reinvents itself as an Action/Adventure game much like Resident Evil 4 reinvented that series. It succeeds much the same way, as an incredibly tightly paced game. I feel that it can stand easily next to the Uncharted series. In actuality, it is easily a better game than the first or third and I feel that is indeed better than 2.

D7MMJcn.gif

Have not beaten it yet but I keep telling people this. It truly is the RE4 of Tomb Raider.

The Machinima review lost all credibility the moment the reviewer said that “it’s easy to forget about Nathan Drakes murderous rampage because he's charming but in Tomb Raider it’s a problem.” I mean come on, talk about nonsense. I still can’t believe that was said. I find the whole notion that these characters are mass murderers to be a completely ridiculous argument...but if you see it as a problem wouldn’t the fact that the Uncharted games being more light heartened and paint the killings in a more ‘comedic’ light be more of an issue opposed to Tomb Raider at least attempting to make it look like you have no choice but to fight back and survive your brutal surroundings? The more serious tone of Tomb Raider also helps it.

By the way that review is pretty much the only really negative one amongst a sea of glowing reviews. It seems a bit silly to just focus just on that one.

The more serious tone of Tomb Raider only amplifies how ridiculous the combat scenarios are. Uncharted never came out and actively marketed their game as some kind of character journey where the protagonist has to learn to kill for survival. Nathan Drake never cried after killing a deer or a person only to deal with the realization by killing even more enemies. I've also criticized Uncharted for gameplay that doesn't match its narrative tone, but make no mistake, that tone DOES make a slight difference. It IS easier to forgive Uncharted when you're playing as a more charismatic, likable, sometimes witty, "everyman" than Tomb Raider's more distant, colder, novice protagonist who's supposed to be experiencing everything for the first time.

G-Fex

The Machinima review lost all credibility the moment the reviewer said that “it’s easy to forget about Nathan Drakes murderous rampage because he's charming but in Tomb Raider it’s a problem.” I mean come on, talk about nonsense. I still can’t believe that was said. I find the whole notion that these characters are mass murderers to be a completely ridiculous argument.......but if you see it as a problem wouldn’t the fact that the Uncharted games being more light hearted and paint the killings in a more ‘comedic’ light be more of an issue opposed to Tomb Raider at least attempting to make it look like you have no choice but to fight back and survive your brutal surroundings? The more serious tone of Tomb Raider helps it.

By the way that review is pretty much the only really negative one amongst a sea of glowing reviews. It seems a bit silly to just focus just on that one.

It's okay Tricky.

I don't think Nathan Drake or Laura are charming at all.

and maybe go a post without posting a gif.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
How are some of you playing this?

Also if you have to divide the game in % for combat, puzzles, platforming/climbing and etc. how you divide it up? Is it really as combat heavy as it's being marketed? Or is fairly balanced in the game?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm not sure how I feel about the Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Assassin's Creed style of platforming.

On one hand, it's kind of cool I guess. It's cinematic. On the other hand, it's completely brain dead and can even feel like filler at times.

The more serious tone of Tomb Raider only amplifies how ridiculous the combat scenarios are. Uncharted never came out and actively marketed their game as some kind of character journey where the protagonist has to learn to kill for survival. Nathan Drake never cried after killing a deer or a person only to deal with the realization by killing even more enemies. I've also criticized Uncharted for gameplay that doesn't match its narrative tone, but make no mistake, that tone DOES make a slight difference. It IS easier to forgive Uncharted when you're playing as a more charismatic, likable, sometimes witty, "everyman" than Tomb Raider's more distant, colder, novice protagonist who's supposed to be experiencing everything for the first time.

Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree. The whole situation of her going from scared and vulnerable to a killing machine doesn't bother me at all.

fuenf

And obviously there's a group out there that does, considering the tripe that is popular these days!

It's not platforming, though. It's just developer masturbation

What sucks is that TR has a couple of the Uncharted's patented 'there's no way she can jump that far... oh wait she's flying' jumps. Simplifying platforming is one thing but making the jumps violate some of the beforehand established rules is a different matter. :/ Still a great game though.

What I like about TR and where it differs from Uncharted is that it really gives you the feeling of exploring stuff. It's fun to walk (!)–not run– around a tomb / cavern / room and look around.

Toa TAK

Banned
It is though. It's just developers having no trust in gamers, viewing them all as skilless pussies (and this is probably starting to be the case given how games treat people today) and just wanting them to go to their next overdesigned setpiece where they can take control away completely and show the bloated nonsensical narrative. It's all developer ego - they so desperately want to impress people every second that they consider any impediment to progress, where people actually have to - *gasp* - apply skills learned in a meaningful fashion as non-kosher.

These are hardly platforming segments; they're really pretty hand-hold hallways. Just like Uncharted.

You're right though. I always find it a little disappointing when I can't freely jump off the edge of a cliff. It takes away the danger of dying from your own mistakes or just goofing around.

And yeah, I wish games would stop treating people like they're brainless (even if they are). I don't need constant hand holding in my games.

Amir0x

Banned

The key difference is far more easily explained this way imo:

Gamers give less of a shit about your terribly written stories when they DON'T take themselves seriously.

When they try to take themselves seriously, these little humourless jaunts down the sub-fanfiction alleyways of failed authors and english lit majors, all the problems are just amplified a thousand times.

Of course, I learned to stop trying to explain anything of merit on this subject to Tricky ages ago - he's not a serious commentator on Tomb Raider, and he can't describe any position of worth with any depth. Admirable effort though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How are some of you playing this?

Also if you have to divide the game in % for combat, puzzles, platforming/climbing and etc. how you divide it up? Is it really as combat heavy as it's being marketed? Or is fairly balanced in the game?

I am reviewing it for a friend.

Split up, I can't really give exact percentages, but you are mostly making your way around the island followed closely by combat. Puzzles..... RIP in peace.

Also, Lara has air control in this game. You can jump off cliffs at will. There are also multiple pathways through some of the areas. Game kind of lets you make your own way.

Jarmel

Banned

You also have to remember that the movies that Uncharted is based from, the Indy franchise, Indiana does kill a number of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS-MSi05tx0

It's not really a pacifist franchise.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
I am reviewing it for a friend.

Split up, I can't really give exact percentages, but you are mostly making your way around the island followed closely by combat. Puzzles..... RIP in peace.

Also, Lara has air control in this game. You can jump off cliffs at will. There are also multiple pathways through some of the areas. Game kind of lets you make your own way.

:( Ok. Thank you.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Assassin's Creed style of platforming.

On one hand, it's kind of cool I guess. It's cinematic. On the other hand, it's completely brain dead and can even feel like filler at times.

On the other, other hand, do you really want to go back to grid-layout line up a jump for 30 seconds, oops a little bit to the right because how archaic these fuckin' controls are, now I'm dead platforming?

There must be a middle ground somewhere.

Maybe they should have stole the Sands of Time engine, that game's platforming makes every hop, jump, wallrun, and flip entertaining, with just the right amount of weight to make the fantastical leaps seem plausible.

Amir0x

Banned
:( Ok. Thank you.

RE4 of Tomb Raider series, don't worry!

(RE4 maintained so much of what made RE tick that the comparison always falls flat; all RE4 did was shift the perspective to make the controls work better and speed up the action. But it did all that within the same horror framework - there are jumps, there are frights, there is tension everywhere - and maintaining classical uptuned RE inventory, bosses, replay value, etc.

RE4 may have still split some of the fanbase, but the reason it was so universally adored by 98% of the gaming community was because it WAS the prototype of how to properly reboot a franchise - change, without throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Completely different from TR. RE5/RE6 is actually a far greater example of the issues of what happens when you change too much, and even that isn't quite right)

G-Fex

So the next Tomb Raider will be co-op?

Wow! Lara and her guy explorer friend!

I bet he's a somewhat shy awkward guy around Laura.

fuenf

They handled it better than it sounds, it's clear
that she doesnt have a choice and is forced to kill people without thinking too much about it. Her first kills are fast paced and out of necessity. She feels scared & breathless during that whole level and it's literally kill or be killed. Overall it's a frightening scenario straight out of a horror movie.

The deer scene is different, the whole setup is calm and peaceful, it's there to humanize Lara and to help the player connect with her. (I had to hunt down a fleeing & wounded deer, for example, whereas enemies are attacking her and are constantly screaming 'kill her'(

Amir0x

Banned
So the next Tomb Raider will be co-op?

Wow! Lara and her guy explorer friend!

I bet he's a somewhat shy awkward guy around Laura.

can't be worse than her radio buddies in Legends and shit? God I wanted an option to rip that head piece off so bad

G-Fex

can't be worse than her radio buddies in Legends and shit? God I wanted an option to rip that head piece off so bad

shhh I haven't played legends yet man don't ruin it for me.

Great, now I know she has friends.

If you think those in Legends are bad, wait to you see these in nu-tomb raider.

(RE4 maintained so much of what made RE tick that the comparison always falls flat; all RE4 did was shift the perspective to make the controls work better and speed up the action.

They removed puzzles, they removed most of the scares. They retained key items like typewriters and herbs, they increased the action severely, introduced set pieces, severely disturbing death animations. RE4 is a pretty different beast compared to the other ones. It's still rooted in horror though. I see what your saying but I just don't exactly agree.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

(RE4 maintained so much of what made RE tick that the comparison always falls flat; all RE4 did was shift the perspective to make the controls work better and speed up the action. But it did all that within the same horror framework - there are jumps, there are frights, there is tension everywhere - and maintaining classical uptuned RE inventory, bosses, replay value, etc.

RE4 may have still split some of the fanbase, but the reason it was so universally adored by 98% of the gaming community was because it WAS the prototype of how to properly reboot a franchise - change, without throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Completely different from TR. RE5/RE6 is actually a far greater example of the issues of what happens when you change too much, and even that isn't quite right)

Tomb Raider does fine in that regard. Still some of the old Tomb Raider DNA in there, just about as much as RE4. They ditched the same things, however, and focused on the same things as well. The methodical pace is gone, as are most all of the puzzle solving. In their place we have an incredibly tightly paced action game.

The key difference is far more easily explained this way imo:

Gamers give less of a shit about your terribly written stories when they DON'T take themselves seriously.

That true, but it does a disservice to everyone involved if the story IS trying to take itself seriously, but no one calls out the shortcomings because "Oh, whatever, it's fun to play." That's a copout. If they just wanted to make a brutal third person adventure-shooter that the consumer could take at face value in some 80's action movie way, they could've done that. Put Underworld Lara Croft in this game, remove the crying over dead deers, and you'd have a completely different style of game. One where the rampaging, hardened explorer/survivalist killing in the way she does makes more sense. But don't promise a self-serious narrative and deliver Rambo.

golem

Nice.. cant wait to play next week!

G-Fex

why couldn't they just make her a adult? The 007 reboot didn't start off bond in the royal navy or as a teenage agent.

Hell I don't care if they made her a mercenary that turned explorer.

I don't know, i'm tired and i'm just spouting out things.

For posterity's sake, someone please release a video of experimenting with the platforming.

Is it magnetic? Do you need to hold down forward on the analog stick to complete the jump? Do you have air control? Can you kill yourself?

Not really experimenting but here is an area I went back to. Instances like these you surely can fall or miss your jumps but not all areas are like this when climbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BznGF2cwcKU&feature=youtu.be

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
...Since when Uncharted series does not take their stories seriously?

It may "appear" lighthearted (maybe due to all of the beautiful colors?), but they did take their stories seriously.

Amir0x

Banned
They removed puzzles, they removed most of the scares. They retained key items like typewriters and herbs, they increased the action severely, introduced set pieces, severely disturbing death animations. RE4 is a pretty different beast compared to the other ones. It's still rooted in horror though. I see what your saying but I just don't exactly agree.

Nah, They still had puzzles. In fact, here is a gamefaq dedicated entirely to JUST the puzzles of Resident Evil 4. They reduced the frequency ever so slightly, but the game was so long anyway that over the course of the title you still encountered enough.

I'm not saying RE4 didn't change a lot; it did. It's just the difference between what is ACCEPTABLE change to most of the fanbase and what is not. The developers of RE4 had great respect for the franchise and understood what aspects of the foundation to keep in place to make it still feel distinctively RE. The developers of TR, for whatever one thinks of the game (and it's perfectly fine to like whatever this is), is simply clear as day the developers had no respect whatsoever for the series history.

Of course, I learned to stop trying to explain anything of merit on this subject to Tricky ages ago - he's not a serious commentator on Tomb Raider, and he can't describe any position of worth with any depth. Admirable effort though.

My view on this game really pisses you off huh? Your whole attitude towards the game and the people that like it is just awful. Your general attitude is what annoys me much more than your actual opinion. It’s your way or no way – that’s how you come across most of the time. Just because you don’t agree with me you always try and brush me off as not knowing what I’m talking about.....I've gone into depth numerous times as to why I like the game. Get off your high horse and stop trying to act like your opinion is worth more than others. It's getting really old and quite frankly boring now.

fuenf

That true, but it does a disservice to everyone involved if the story IS trying to take itself seriously, but no one calls out the shortcomings because "Oh, whatever, it's fun to play." That's a copout. If they just wanted to make a brutal third person adventure-shooter that the consumer could take at face value in some 80's action movie way, they could've done that. Put Underworld Lara Croft in this game, remove the crying over dead deers, and you'd have a completely different style of game. One where the rampaging, hardened explorer/survivalist killing in the way she does makes more sense. But don't promise a self-serious narrative and deliver Rambo.

You don't have to execute the enemies, though. I think this whole discussion wouldnt have gotten that big if it werent for those finishing moves. It makes far more sense for her to kill enemies from a distance with her bow than executing them in melee fights.

TR kinda breaks the mold of traditional games, it's a different experience if you see Lara as a videogame character (&empathize with her) and not as the ingame manifestation of the player.

Nah, They still had puzzles. In fact, here is a gamefaq dedicated entirely to JUST the puzzles of Resident Evil 4. They reduced the frequency ever so slightly, but the game was so long anyway that over the course of the title you still encountered enough.

Man I actually forgot the game had those. Those puzzles were so easy for me. Sorry. I space that one. I think Tomb Raider still has the feeling of exploring down pat and I like how when you find relics, she talks about them, gives you her thoughts and info. Though yes other then that and the minor puzzles in the tombs and game, its a far different beast to the series. I really like it, but understand people that were looking for more evolved version of the previous Tomb Raiders would be a bit miffed.

Private, yo.

Should be fixed.

Amir0x

Banned
My view on this game really pisses you off huh? Your whole attitude towards the game and the people that like it is just awful and is what annoys me much more than your actual opinion. It’s your way or no way – that’s how you come across most of the time. Just because you don’t agree with me you always try and brush me off as not knowing what I’m talking about...I've gone into depth numerous times as to why I like the game. Get off your high horse and stop trying to act like your opinion is worth more than others. It's getting really old and quite frankly boring now.

Not at all. I just can't take people who lash out at detractors and then fail to point out how even a single of them are wrong in any meaningful fashion seriously. I only can respect people who take the time and effort to understand the positions of those you attempt to debate with, positions thoroughly and rigorously explained to you thousands of times over the last year, in which even up until close to release you still tried to pretend you had NO IDEA why people were complaining.

There are plenty of people who love this new Tomb Raider that I hold great respect for on this subject (hey, like slasher_thrasher21). Consider why you are different than these.

RoKKeR

Watching these pre-release videos have gotten me much more interested than I thought I'd be. Definitely a rental day 1, and a Steam pickup later down the line.

Amir0x

Banned
Had no interest in this--but I just got a new gaming PC this past weekend and looking for pretty games to feed it.

Off subject but that PC screenshot thread has some Crysis 3 shots that basically look like concept art

gonna try to tessFX Lara Croft hair?

RoKKeR

The screens look impressive, but I need to see some video. What if it turns out to be poorly implemented and rapes performance? I certainly wouldn't put it past AMD, but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Off subject but that PC screenshot thread has some Crysis 3 shots that basically look like concept art

I think know exactly what screenshot you're referring to in that thread, lol. I was oogling them earlier. Is it the one of the brick building with all those pretty trees? Good lord that shot blew me away.

And yeah, definitely gonna try the fancy hair FX as long as it doesn't rape FPS insanely--although early reports in that thread said it's highly demanding.

Amir0x

Banned
The screens look impressive, but I need to see some video. What if it turns out to be poorly implemented and rapes performance? I certainly wouldn't put it past AMD, but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I am curious about it like you. Actually, the tessFX announcement made me more curious than anything about this game to date. Like, I'm all "fuck, I really want to see if my rig can run that well" lol

FINALBOSS said:
Is it the one of the brick building with all those pretty trees? Good lord that shot blew me away.

Yup. I didn't even realize Crysis 3 could look that good. When I saw it I was basically like :O

I am curious about it like you. Actually, the tessFX announcement made me more curious than anything about this game to date. Like, I'm all "fuck, I really want to see if my rig can run that well" lol

Yup. I didn't even realize Crysis 3 could look that good. When I saw it I was basically like :O

Same here! Pretty sure I'm going to cave.

Top Bottom