• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

kunonabi

What if you loved Tomb Raider?

you're SOL. your support of the franchise means jack and the franchise is now tailored to the dudebro audience who never cared about it to begin with and can't bothered to play anything that a takes modicum of effort or resembles anything other than a bad hollywood movie. however, if the game fails you're a horrible person and the people involved won't be able to feed their famiies.

brian!

I only watched the conan review

but I gotta make dat connection between lara saying
I hate tombs and eventually becoming a fucking tomb raider (dat bloodlust? dat feeling damned already? etc.)

G-Fex

you're SOL. your support of the franchise means jack and the franchise is now tailored to the dudebro audience who never cared about it to begin with and can't bothered to play anything that a takes modicum of effort or resembles anything other than a bad hollywood movie. however, if the game fails you're a horrible person and the people involved won't be able to feed their famiies.

The series is now a mere shadow of it's former self

Nope, that's pre-order DLC :p

Tomb-Raider-Pre-Order-Bonus-Best-Buy-570x320.jpg

Good ol' big-budget gaming

Siiiiigh. Oh well.

sleepykyo

It hasn't matched DmC in that regards yet. When Eidos/Square CM turn into Capcom UK then we've got a start.

sublimit

Banned
yeah,I really don't get this, reviews read like below average game but gets 8 and 9.

oh. Taku Sakaguchi ,i love him.

*Bro fist* :)

Eurogamer keeps going on and on about how old Lara is dead and how good that is without explaining what was bad about old Lara or how this new game is an improvement; other than to say that they made the majority of the puzzles optional so that the modern gamer doesn't have to spend much time figuring things out, even though survival instinct completely spoils solutions and the puzzles aren't very hard even without it.

Yeah Eurogamer's review was also very bad especially in the way they used generalizations like "excellent exploration" or "satisfying routes" in order to justify their score without actually giving us information about what exactly was "excellent" and "satisfying".

SmithnCo

Nope, that's pre-order DLC :p

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/Tomb-Raider-Pre-Order-Bonus-Best-Buy-570x320.jpg[IMG]

Good ol' big-budget gaming[/QUOTE]

I love the look of that skin, too bad it's for preorders at Best Buy, lol.

Iceman

It's alright guys. I played TR1-3 to death when they came out, and so did many of you. The original Tomb Raider is long gone.. it's been over twelve years. Things change. Gameplay changes. Embrace it. Otherwise we'll look like old men, kicking and screaming, yelling at clouds, etc.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was getting pretty excited for this... and then I watched the Machinima review. They really tore it apart. That being said, some of the footage looks very impressive. I just hope the gameplay's fun enough to back it up. The mere mention of Metroid/exploration elements is enough to tempt me...

antitrop

I was getting pretty excited for this... and then I watched the Machinima review. They really tore it apart. That being said, some of the footage looks very impressive. I just hope the gameplay's fun enough to back it up. The mere mention of Metroid/exploration elements is enough to tempt me...

Why are people surprised that the lowest scoring review of the game had a few negative things to say about it?

You can pick the lowest scoring review for just about any game and they will shit all over it, no matter what it is. That said, they still gave it a 60, which is hardly an abysmal score.

RagnarokX

Why are people surprised that the lowest scoring review of the game had a few negative things to say about it?

You can pick the lowest scoring review for just about any game and they will shit all over it, no matter what it is. That said, they still gave it a 60, which is hardly an abysmal score.

The other reviews make the same complaints.

antitrop

That's not my point, though.

Just seems odd to read/watch what is literally the lowest scoring professional review of the game and then make the comment "Wow, they really tore it apart". If anything, the fringe scores on either side are the ones you should be most skeptical of.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The person reviewing the game for Machinima was REALLY hung up on the story. He kept trying to tie everything to it not justifying the on screen action.

I can list of boatload of problems with Dragon's Dogma. More negatives than positives. I'd still rate the game quite high. The insistence that only the negative reviews got the scores right is saltiness at it's greatest. The only thing that will make this better is if it sells incredibly well on top of being a wonderful game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The person reviewing the game for Machinima was REALLY hung up on the story. He kept trying to tie everything to it not justifying the on screen action.

I'm down with that. I play games for their plot first and gameplay second, and if the plot is off then I enjoy the game less.

RagnarokX

I can list of boatload of problems with Dragon's Dogma. More negatives than positives. I'd still rate the game quite high. The insistence that only the negative reviews got the scores right is saltiness at it's greatest. The only thing that will make this better is if it sells incredibly well on top of being a wonderful game.

But it doesn't really matter what the scores are if they all make the same complaints and those complaints bother you. Also, what the complaints are is more important than the number of complaints.

I'm not sure I was exactly calling them art or making an art argument. In my head I was thinking of them not liking the artworks as they were and destroying them to create something superficial that they enjoy more. Similar to how people that didn't like the old Tomb Raider games are enjoying "finally getting interested in the series" now that it's nothing like it was. Joker's crew is in a museum without any of the art that defines the museum and "expanding their horizons" by narrowing the horizons to fit themselves. It's meaningless to get people who weren't interested before interested in something if you have to destroy almost everything about it but the name to do so.

Obviously the gif was meant to say that Tomb Raider fans should expand their horizons to accept the change in direction, but there are plenty of games that already do what this game does and few that do what Tomb Raider does, and I'm sure most of us play and enjoy those games. The complaints are about the loss of something unique; the reduction of gaming variety.
I've asked this in other threads, and may have missed the answer, but I'm not seeing 'plenty' of games doing what this Tomb Raider does. I can think of three that are worth anyone's time.

There's been as many games THIS GEN in the Tomb Raider series. I don't see this abundance of Uncharted clones. If we count both the Wii and 360/PS3 Forgotten Sands from this gen in the 'like Tomb Raider' bucket, there's already been more worthwhile Tomb Raider-esque games this gen than there has been Uncharted esque games.

Yes, this new game is more like Uncharted and people that preferred the old style of game over Uncharted don't like that. What I don't concur with is the notion that there is anything more than a handful of games like Uncharted. I mean, presuming we're defining that narrowly enough to rule out Tomb Raider Underworld, what out there is MORE like Uncharted than Underworld was?

And given the new things this Tomb Raider adds to the formula (because let's not pretend it's a straight Uncharted clone) even if some elements that used to exist have been made more like Uncharted, the final game isn't much more like Uncharted than before. yes, the platforming and shooting is now more like Uncharted, but the exploration, side quests, semi open world, RPG and weapon upgrade systems and what have you aren't things I remember from any Uncharted game. Whereas Underworld was a game a lot like an Uncharted game that put more of a focus on puzzles and platforming than it did combat.

Again, I see how a fan of the old style of game might not like the new game, but the notion that THIS Tomb Raider is just aping the mainstream and the previous ones were some unique special thing... is complete nonsense.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Of course I was expecting some negative stuff. It's just that the review comes off as way more negative than a passing grade, they hardly mention anything positive. With a 6/10 I wasn't expecting that kind of beatdown.

B-Dex

The story is.. not terrible. The mythos and backstory of the island gets better as you progress. The actual game's story gets more cringe-worthy bad as you progress.

brian!

The lacking quality of the gameplay in Spec Ops is greatly overstated.

i mean for me it was positively boring, plus I don't really keep track of what is usually said about it so I can't really speak on that

but I see that people concentrate a lot on it's presentation and story, and how that contributes to it getting on people's best game lists and whatnot

so, not to give game reviewers too much credit, but I'd just assume any aspect of the game that they collectively agree is lacking is considered when determining the final score (big assumption tho, plus the only review I've looked at was conan o'brien)

Derrick01

Banned
The lacking qualities of the gameplay in Spec Ops are vastly overstated.

Especially in a tomb raider thread. I doubt you'll die on normal in TR as easily as you can in Spec Ops, and going by the combat videos I've seen the AI is dumb as shit. Whereas in Spec Ops they actually try to flank and use some basic tactics to keep you moving.

Ricker

Nice OT bud...can't wait for the game next week,decided to go 360,a friend will play it after and lend me XCom or something so Steam is out...

its been pre-ordered on steam for $33 US dollars. I am pretty excited. I don't expect the best game in the world but the new hair tech is worth at least $30 dollars.

lol

oh and I have played every Tomb Raider so I can't really stop can I?

forrest

formerly nacire
EDGE was the worst offender of this practice for me because they pretty much confirmed all my fears about the game and still and gave it an 8.

Agreed, they simply confirmed a lot of things I was hoping weren't going to be the case. I'm sure the game will be fun as a stand alone game, but honestly, it isn't what I want out of the next Tomb Raider. The more I read and see, the less interest I have. I loved Uncharted one and two, but still haven't managed to get hooked on 3 after trying to get into it multiple times. I'll most likely pick this one up during a Steam Christmas sale.

Also, I'm extremely disappointed that the optional tombs essentially boil down to single room physics puzzles. Ugh...

You're complaining about this? The game is TRYING to be a cinematic adventure. The onus is on the developers to justify the kind of gameplay they put in the game to move the narrative along. If those don't match up, a reviewer's complaints are 100% valid. No one told CD to put a bunch of cutscenes into the game, or make an origin story, or make the game so character focused, but since they did, the gameplay damn well better make sense in context. If a survival story turns into a standard third person shooter with an inexperienced protagonist killing hundreds of enemies with callous precision, it seems fair to criticize the gameplay for not tying into a narrative which is a MAJOR part of the presentation.

Top Bottom