• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Gangxxter

Nude patch!
falbavtjrxk.gif
:)

http://www.nudecreator.org/page2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1621#p17812
Have they nothing better to do like... uhm I don't know... playing the game???

It's boring handheld tutorial shit, no? The only thing left to like are the cutscenes.

It did a good job of setting the mood and introducing the mechanics while still retaining a sense of atmosphere.

I dunno, I have nothing wrong with openings like this in a game like this - eases the player in gradually. If the whole game were like that then fair enough, but it's a tiny fraction of the experience used to good effect.

Bladenic

Lol, I actually investigated this yesterday since someone said the same thing and the comments on the site made it sound like MS got some exclusivity for TR on redbox. No idea if that's even possible since I've never even used redbox but it sounded pretty crazy.

I've never heard of that either, eff Microsoft if they did. Redbox must be a big deal if MS payed for exclusivity lmao. But it's just weird, the PS3 version shows up when searching the game, but when I search for it with my zip code no kiosks are found.

Andrew.

Banned
Stopped around midnight. Love it so far. I was sitting literally on the edge of my couch from when it first started until I finished for the night. A game hasnt done that to me for awhile. Also, Im finding myself actually slowly walking around the environment looking over everything and listening to the sounds. The level at which this game bleeds atmosphere is right up there with the best.

Does anyone know where the treasure maps are in the Mountain Village?

eshwaaz

About 4 hours in - really, really enjoying this game. It's one of those games where I find myself walking through areas to fully appreciate them; running through just feels inappropriate.

My biggest complaint so far is how casual some of Lara's reactions are to horrifying events. Hearing her utter "that was close" or "what's going on here" during situations that are unspeakably terrifying seriously compromises their impact.

JB1981

So any big differences, graphically, between the PS3/360 version of this game I should know about before pulling the trigger?

Played for 2.5 hours last night, really really like it. The atmosphere and environments are incredible.

That said, the QTE's are odd in this game. When it is a face button (I'm on 360) it starts off as a blank shrinking circle. Once it gets small enough, the actual button icon appears and you have to hit it before the circle shrinks to nothing. It very much reminds me of Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents and I cannot for the life of me get the timing down. I fail even the simplest of QTE's because my brain thinks to time it to the last second which is wrong, drives me nuts.

Caramuru

Neo Member
Okay I told myself I enjoyed multiplayer. But now after playing a few matches.. Eh. Now I couldn't care less. I really do like the campaign though. But since we keep comparing this to Uncharted, I'll take UC2's multiplayer over this.

UC2 multi shits all over this.

Exactly! I'm addicted to Uncharted MP, and I play UC3 MP on a regular basis, so I though I'd like TR MP, but I was wrong. Gunplay feels much better in Uncharted MP.

Stopped around midnight. Love it so far. I was sitting literally on the edge of my couch from when it first started until I finished for the night. A game hasnt done that to me for awhile. Also, Im finding myself actually slowly walking around the environment looking over everything and listening to the sounds. The level at which this game bleeds atmosphere is right up there with the best.

You’re pretty much mirroring my exact impressions from when I first started playing it a few days ago. Glad to hear you love it!

bitoriginal

Ah man, my local gameshop had a copy for £30 quid preowned even though it only came out yesterday, I caved! I think the guy behind the counter had played it tbh.

Comparisons to Uncharted 2 on GAF convinced me overall.

Schlomo

That said, the QTE's are odd in this game. When it is a face button (I'm on 360) it starts off as a blank shrinking circle. Once it gets small enough, the actual button icon appears and you have to hit it before the circle shrinks to nothing. It very much reminds me of Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents and I cannot for the life of me get the timing down. I fail even the simplest of QTE's because my brain thinks to time it to the last second which is wrong, drives me nuts.

That confused me too the first time it happens, but it seems to be always the Y button when a circle like that appears, so it's easy to adjust to.

Andrew.

Banned
The QTEs actually remind me more of Asuras Wrath with the circle within the circle thing and only a split second to hit the button. I like it. Screwed up a good few times too and got squashed by a boulder or got my neck bitten into by a wolf.

Have they nothing better to do like... uhm I don't know... playing the game???

Meh, as much as I agree nude mods are a bit silly, modding games themselves are fantastic fun even if you just modify the appearance and textures a bit

Edit : holy shit at Chun Li's boobs on that site.

Man was this game a pleasant surprise. The pre-release stuff I saw, which admittedly wasn't a great deal, made it look set to be a bit of a bummer. I have a soft spot for the Tomb Raider series though and I'm glad I ended up giving the game a chance.

It's not without it's flaws certainly, mostly in the form of concessions made on the gameplay side to service the greater cinematic goal. What eXistor said above about the story hampering some of the game's potential is something I agree with. It also injects combat more frequently and aggressively than I would have liked, but maybe that's something modern players have come to expect. I do think the game maintains congruence though. It's clear about it's intentions and it follows through.

Lara's evolution is definitely felt as the game progresses. By the end I was actually affected by it and ready to continue on to further adventures with/as Lara. It's really her transformation that holds the whole game together and makes it feel unique and worthwhile despite being an amalgam of design choices from this console generation. The game's strength in general is in progression; of character, abilities, equipment and environments. It doesn't feel stagnant at any point despite taking place on one island.

Expansion and interation of the framework laid down in this game would make sense for a sequel, given the suggestion that Lara becomes a Tomb Raider by the game's end, rather than somebody just trying to survive and get herself and her friends back to safety ASAP. On her next outing she would probably be more inclined to indulge the mystery of wherever she was exploring for the sake of curiosity as opposed to only what it takes to survive.

I'll hopefully go into more detail about the game later. I just wanted to post something to encourage people to play the game if they're considering it because I almost didn't.

Derrick01

Banned
Jesus when does this game end? I'm at
shanty town
. I guess I've only been playing 6 or 7 hours but it feels like I've been slogging through this forever.

jet1911

I know old time fans will complain that there's to much combat but at least the gameplay around almost every encounter si great. The melee works well, headshoting people with the bow is a bit too much fun and I gotta say that the automatic cover system, while not 100% effecticve, works extremely well. Way better than the usual sticky cover.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Holy cripes the multiplayer in this is bad.

Finding the single player a bit so so. Too many QTEs, bad guys and not enough tombs and puzzles. It's a reboot certainly, but I'm not sure it's for the better.

Andrew.

Banned
I dont know about you guys but I take great pleasure in seeing how miserable he is all the time. He's like a psychologists wet dream.

If he did ever end up liking something, it would probably break GAF. I dont want that to happen.

I dont know about you guys but I take great pleasure in seeing how miserable he is all the time. He's like a psychologists wet dream.

If he did ever end up liking something, it would probably break GAF. I dont want that to happen.

Derrick liked Vanquish. He's alright in my book.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly! I'm addicted to Uncharted MP, and I play UC3 MP on a regular basis, so I though I'd like TR MP, but I was wrong. Gunplay feels much better in Uncharted MP.

Even in UC3 MP? I haven't tried the TR MP yet since I don't want any characters/locations ruined for me, but the gunplay in UC3 MP was awful. The recoil was uncontrollable and it was a chore just trying to hit anything.

void666

Banned
Bow is too good and there's too many arrows around. Arrows should be available through crafting only. I don't feel the need to use the other weapons. Never ran out of arrows.

Something i'd like to see modded is the fire. It looks strange. Lacking more animation frames maybe?

Andrew.

Banned
Why are you kidding? Very boring game and it's all smokes and mirrors.

I loved it. Made my eyes bleed a few times because of all the chaos but it still ended up being my favorite TPS this gen so far next to Max Payne 3.

The guns in this game have that heavy, weighty sound to them like in Alan Wake. I love it. Cant wait til I get that shotgun.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Jesus when does this game end? I'm at
shanty town
. I guess I've only been playing 6 or 7 hours but it feels like I've been slogging through this forever.

I want to say that you passed the boring part of the game. It's suppose to get better from this point on. But yeah the shooting does get a little boring. Hoping it becomes more exciting after where I am currently at.

The guns in this game have that heavy, weighty sound to them like in Alan Wake. I love it. Cant wait til I get that shotgun.

The shotgun is one of those ineffective more than 3 feet away kinds, sadly

Pistol is the best weapon next to the bow. Plus, its final form is a
Magnum!

Derrick01

Banned

I'm not miserable though, I'm just bored with bad games.

Andrew.

Banned
The shotgun is one of those ineffective more than 3 feet away kinds, sadly

Pistol is the best weapon next to the bow. Plus, its final form is a
Magnum!

Ugh, shouldve spoiler tagged that gun part (I did for you) =/ No biggie though. Some other peeps might really mind however.

Top Bottom