• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

eXistor

Against all expectations I'm loving it. The main issues I have with the game are the one's I expected to fuck up the game completely:

-QTE's: nuff said, QTE's suck

-Hardly-interactive cinematic gameplay bits like crawling under an obstruction. It's cinematic, but takes away control completely and that's always a bad thing.

-Shootouts: unavoidable I suppose, but it takes away from exploration, which is one of the best aspects of the game.

-Linear story-progression: I'm only 3 hours in, so this one might change, but so far everything I did was to progress story. Games like Metroid give you a goal to shoot for, but the entire game exists of the player exploring the world to get to that goal. TR is all about the story so far and it hurts the possibilities of true open-world exploration, you're always shooting for a nearby goal. The game could be much better if they didn't need to tell a story, story almost always hurts gameplay.

But that's about it, I think the game has some fantastic maps to explore, there may be a few too many arbitrary collectables thrown around them, but it doesn't hurt the experience so far. The game looks fantastic and the controls are tight. Getting new tools to open up new secrets and, possibly, areas is great (probably my favorite type of game design when done right). Most importantly, thre game is fun. Forgetting the linear and scripted opening part, the game had me hooked almost immediately and that's no mean feat, especially given the fact that I did not expect much from this game.

Can't wait to play again tonight.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Hmmm... I'm prolly gonna pick this game up now, since GAF is all megatonning all over it, but I popped into the TR vs. UC (Uncharted) thread and it gave me pause.

I just assumed I'd get this on PC, but honestly, I would rather play Uncharted on a PS3, and I played Batman:AA with a KBM on my PC, and maybe I would have preferred it on PS3...

I played all the Mass Effect games on PC, and their RPG elements, reading lore in the in-game codex, and swapping gear etc. made me glad I wasn't playing on console.

So should I get this game for console or PC?

Or PC with the 360 controller?

Note: I don't really care about the graphical experience, I just want to know is it more of a play-with-friends-watching kinda comfy couch vibe, or a sit-down and focus with your headphones on while sitting two-feet away from your monitor vibe?

Replicant

The shootouts are so fucking awful. Without a proper cover mechanic, Lara is an open target. I kept trying to readjust her position behind a crate but she just won't move properly behind it. It's always one step too far or too little. And then of course, predictably, they set out a villagers full of bandits in
Shantytown
. With no choice but to engage in firefight. No options to stealthily take them down.

Fabrik

Banned
The shootouts are so fucking awful. Without a proper cover mechanic, Lara is an open target. I kept trying to readjust her position behind a crate but she just won't move properly behind it. It's always one step too far or too little. And then of course, predictably, they set out a villagers full of bandits in
Shantytown
. With no choice but to engage in firefight. No options to stealthily take them down.

Welcome to Uncharted/RE 5!

Shantytown

Indeed. I especially loathe that, just like in Uncharted, the enemies know where you are once they have seen you. If you move and are behind a solid wall for instance, they keep track of you as if magnetically. And I also don't like that most big shootouts,
Shantytown
again, start once you've set foot in an area. You won't see the bad guys up front, no they storm you from out of nowhere. It's all too scripted.

Shantytown

I only seldom had that problem with the cover mechanic, as there'd usually be a pretty perfect piece of cover right in front of you as the firefight begins and with firefights being somewhat formulaic and routine, you could kill everyone without having to move. You're right, though. if you had to scramble somewhere else, depending on the geometry of the cover, it could be painful. I otherwise enjoyed the mechanic.

And yep, I hated S-Town. Boring to look at and play. Made me begin wishing the game away, to be honest.

HiiiLife

Shantytown

Lol. I still can't get over how lame that area was. It's going to be annoying going back to get collectables solely because my first experience with that section was tedious as hell.

Lara's ass is always being shot at when I'm in cover. Sometimes it FEELS like it works, till I get my face knocked off by an arrow.

I only seldom had that problem with the cover mechanic, as there'd usually be a pretty perfect piece of cover right in front of you as the firefight begins and with firefights being somewhat formulaic and routine, you could kill everyone without having to move. You're right, though. if you had to scramble somewhere else, depending on the geometry of the cover, it could be painful. I otherwise enjoyed the mechanic.

And yep, I hated S-Town. Boring to look at and play. Made me begin wishing the game away, to be honest.

Are we playing the same game here? The enemies constantly throw fire bottles and dynamite to force you to keep on moving from cover.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PC vs PS3 for this? Yes, I realize the PC version will look significantly better if you have a nice PC, but does the PS3 version have any significant weaknesses that you'd want to avoid?

eXistor

Note: I don't really care about the graphical experience, I just want to know is it more of a play-with-friends-watching kinda comfy couch vibe, or a sit-down and focus with your headphones on while sitting two-feet away from your monitor vibe?
If this is important and you don't care too much about graphics, then definitely PS3. It's a cool game to play with friends I think.

Frillen

The game is too easy yes, but my god did they nerf the shotgun. If you don't headshot someone you have to at least hit them 3-4 times with shotgun blasts before they die. Annoying.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The game is too easy yes, but my god did they nerf the shotgun. If you don't headshot someone you have to at least hit them 3-4 times with shotgun blasts before they die. Annoying.
Upgrade it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just finished it. Amazing game, definitly the most polished TR game to date and awesome animations but i agree more exploring, less shooting people would have been better but still it's a great game and i'm really looking forward to the sequel.

Are we playing the same game here? The enemies constantly throw fire bottles and dynamite to force you to keep on moving from cover.

Ha. Well, on normal, you could pretty much cop the incoming whatever and just line up head shots. I had quite a few firefights that started and ended with Lara not having moved an inch.

Don't get me wrong. I've no complaints about the AI in terms of being aggressive, but they were definitely exploitable.

Replicant

WTF? How many inbred motherfuckers live in this fugly town? I thought I just wasted all of them in that big firefight? I just got killed by some bandits who suddenly appeared inside a building.

Worse of all, the game sent me back to the area before the plane. How is this making any sense?!! There's a base camp at the start of Shanty town. ARRRRGGH!!! Stupid auto-save.

Divius

Enjoying the game so far. Combat feels good, exploring is fine. Just came across those bigass
samurai guard motherfuckers
for the first time.

FyreWulff

TressFX seems inconsistent on if it'll tank a scene or not. Sometimes it seems like the engine just gives up and stops lighting it (opening part where she's in the water), then it'll tank the menus in the first candlelit room, then I'm out in the open for the first time and my computer is 'wutevs'

void666

Banned
If you stay behind cover popping out to shoot badies from time to time like you do on uncharted then you're doing it wrong.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ok thanks good to know, usually I always play on normal first. Too bad that hard is easy, no unlock of pro or something like that after first playthrough either ?

No unlocked difficulties, no achievements associated with difficulties, no rewards for beating it on difficulties. The only difference between hard and easy is how you much you want to pat yourself on the back and brag to your imaginary friends who will mock you.

x-Lundz-x

I'm gonna get this tonight, have there been any more impressions of PS3 vs 360?

You mean as far as a face-off or something? Not that I have seen, but I can tell you I have been playing on 360 and it looks stunning and from the people here on GAF they say the PS3 version might actually be better but if so it's certainly not by much.

There have been screenshots of the 360 version looking "shiny" but I have yet to experience that. Game looks damn good to me.

Lucifon

Okay I told myself I enjoyed multiplayer. But now after playing a few matches.. Eh. Now I couldn't care less. I really do like the campaign though. But since we keep comparing this to Uncharted, I'll take UC2's multiplayer over this.

UC2 multi shits all over this.

Personally I don't feel this is the case, simply because the gunplay in TR feels better. It's not spectacular no (neither was UC2 or 3's MP) but it's a solid distraction.

dreamfall

You know, I'm not a big fan of the combat. So I've been utilizing the dodge and brutal melee (upgraded through skills) on practically every enemy when forced to fight instead of employing stealth.

In some odd ways, the context sensitive finishers are hilarious. Especially when eight guys who are charging at you all get the same treatment!

I think I'm going to stop using bows/guns entirely.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
For everyone asking, I'm playing on PS3 and the game is absolutely gorgeous. No slowdown from what I can tell, although I'm only about two hours into the game.

Csokis

Nude patch!
falbavtjrxk.gif
:)

http://www.nudecreator.org/page2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1621#p17812

Bladenic

I was gonna rent this from Redbox but either the PS3 version doesn't exist or they are all rented out. Every single PS3 copy. Bleh.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was gonna rent this from Redbox but either the PS3 version doesn't exist or they are all rented out. Every single PS3 copy. Bleh.

Lol, I actually investigated this yesterday since someone said the same thing and the comments on the site made it sound like MS got some exclusivity for TR on redbox. No idea if that's even possible since I've never even used redbox but it sounded pretty crazy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For everyone asking, I'm playing on PS3 and the game is absolutely gorgeous. No slowdown from what I can tell, although I'm only about two hours into the game.

Sounds good! If there are no specific issues with the PS3 version I think that's the one I'll be getting, even if I could run it at slightly higher settings on my laptop.

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a loooooong time. It gives me the warm fuzzies the same way games like Metal Gear Solid, Halo, KOTOR, Final Fantasy VII, and indeed the original Tomb Raider did. The feeling you are playing something truly special. I'm renting it, but I think I might buy my own copy. The game deserves success.

Agreed. After being repeatedly disappointed by highly rated big-budget games (the most recent being Far Cry 3) I'm finding Tomb Raider to be a breath of fresh air.

EDIT: As mentioned by others, I feel there is too much shooting and not enough exploring. IMO the exploring is a nice leap forward from the old games though. It feels like I'm really having to search for things rather than look for a square ledge to grab onto.

Majanew

Banned
Really liking the game.

This game is also a great example of why I usually turn the music off in my games. With it on in Tomb Raider, it really kills the atmosphere. Walking slowly and listening to the rain and wind blowing through my 7.1 is great.

Top Bottom