• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Or maybe just games in general?

Not possible when games like Demon's or Dark are still made. But who isn't fatigued by the next installment of CoD, Uncharted, Infamous, Forza, Halo, Assassin's, WHATEVER. Tomb Raider, as great as it seems, is just another iteration on the formula those other games use. So you can't blame anyone for being a bit jaded when it's QTE here, cover-based arena fight here, use your detective mode here, etc..

I'd probably take just about any of those games over Dark Souls

If the industry was full of that boring tripe, I cut out to replaying PS2 games forever

or maybe take up Cave shooters like Pizzaroll

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Not possible when games like Demon's or Dark are still made. But who isn't fatigued by the next installment of CoD, Uncharted, Infamous, Forza, Halo, Assassin's, WHATEVER. Tomb Raider, as great as it seems, is just another iteration on the formula those other games use. So you can't blame anyone for being a bit jaded when it's QTE here, cover-based arena fight here, use your detective mode here, etc..

Umm, I don't really enjoy games like Demon's or Dark Souls. I play games to have fun, not to have the game kick me in the face every time I try to enjoy myself. I really enjoy the Uncharteds and Forzas and Tomb Raiders of this world, and as long as they change enough from one iteration to the next then they're not going to be "same old same old AAA title."

Derrick01

Banned

Dark Souls isn't much less boring than any of those though, it's just a little harder. To stick with Tomb Raider, maybe I'd enjoy it a little more if there was ever any risk of dying in this game. I'm playing on hard and it couldn't be a more guided and hand holding experience if they made it kinect only.

Skilletor

Umm, I don't really enjoy games like Demon's or Dark Souls. I play games to have fun, not to have the game kick me in the face every time I try to enjoy myself. I really enjoy the Uncharteds and Forzas and Tomb Raiders of this world, and as long as they change enough from one iteration to the next then they're not going to be "same old same old AAA title."

Ah, yes, "fun."

This game is pretty boring. I don't even have to shoot people now, I just run up and melee. I'm not even upgrading anything since that would make the game even easier. I don't see how anybody can say combat scenarios are any good when there's no challenge to them at all. This game certainly is "an experience." There's no resistance on the part of the game to challenge anything the player does.

There have been a few moments when I enjoyed myself, but overall it's exactly what I thought it would be going in.

At least it's pretty as hell.

Why are you kidding? Very boring game and it's all smokes and mirrors.

Gameplay is smoke and mirrors? What do you define as actual content? I'd agree it's not a deep game, but for me it's the spiritual successor to every SNES action/shooter game I loved.

I loved it. Made my eyes bleed a few times because of all the chaos but it still ended up being my favorite TPS this gen so far next to Max Payne 3.

Replaying it atm while I wait for TR to arrive in the mail, it does hurt my eyes, but I think it's because the game is finally starting to look dated.

oh my goodness the MP is so bad lol. Like you just gotta experience it type of bad.

SP seems really good so far. I like the ridiculousness of shoulder bumping baddies and then shooting them in the face with an arrow.

Epic arrow shootouts ftw

Lime

Exactly.

I'd probably take just about any of those games over Dark Souls

:/ Now I know what Levinas meant with "the Other".

Gameplay is smoke and mirrors? What do you define as actual content? I'd agree it's not a deep game, but for me it's the spiritual successor to every SNES action/shooter game I loved.

Replaying it atm while I wait for TR to arrive in the mail, it does hurt my eyes, but I think it's because the game is finally starting to look dated.

Based on what I played, the rolling around, slow-mo combat got old after a while. It's a pretty game though.

Sid

So now the game gets boring,the UC comparison was a bit early I'll just finish it first,better gunplay and no QTEs would have helped and the animations are not as good as expected either.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dark Souls isn't much less boring than any of those though, it's just a little harder. To stick with Tomb Raider, maybe I'd enjoy it a little more if there was ever any risk of dying in this game. I'm playing on hard and it couldn't be a more guided and hand holding experience if they made it kinect only.

Er, not quite understanding your train of thought here. You think Dark is boring, but you think Tomb would be more enjoyable if it was more difficult and had more risk of dying and was less handholdy - which is the complete opposite of something like Dark where skill matters in combat, the risk of dying is all around you, and there is literally no handholding. Dark isn't even hard lol.

Exactly.

:/

I'm not exactly surprised that the people that would like this game would then not like Dark, they're complete opposites. (this is where I write the absolute obvious in that yes, of course there are people out there who would enjoy both Dark and this game and a million other games along with that but if I don't write this someone is going to attack me for not stating this absolute obvious thing, but that doesn't dismiss that there's a big divide in tastes..shocker)

Ah, yes, "fun."

This game is pretty boring. I don't even have to shoot people now, I just run up and melee. I'm not even upgrading anything since that would make the game even easier. I don't see how anybody can say combat scenarios are any good when there's no challenge to them at all. This game certainly is "an experience." There's no resistance on the part of the game to challenge anything the player does.

There have been a few moments when I enjoyed myself, but overall it's exactly what I thought it would be going in.

At least it's pretty as hell.

This sounds hilarious. Like, can you just run around cover and kill 3 guys who were trying to shoot at you?

Skilletor

This sounds hilarious. Like, can you just run around cover and kill 3 guys who were trying to shoot at you?

Yep. Just wait for them to reload and move (if they have guns), guys with bows and arrows? lololol. Don't you know I get my trusty hatchet and my mitts? Lara takes so much damage that I'm more like Superman than a human being.

I've got about...5 hours now? I made it past the radio tower.

This part of the game is actually pretty cool. Lots of platforming and in a pretty open area. I wish more of the game was like where I'm at right now.

Oh, and AI/stealth kills are HILARIOUS. I choke a guy out who is literally right behind a partner. The guy screams and gargles super loud, but the person in front doesn't react at all. So he, too, gets taken out with a bowstring.

vidcons

Banned
i don't understand why enemies are using explosive barrels and gas leaks as defensive structures

why

why did they make this game. there is no justification for this game. dear god the plot. the acting.

this game tries so hard and was promoted as being so good and it's just more insulting proviolence growth bullshit that assumes the player is incapable of figuring things out on their own. the fact that we know the author's intent with the game should already give enough ammo to criticize how poorly executed this is.

why make this game. so bad in so many ways.

I'm an expert

i don't understand why enemies are using explosive barrels and gas leaks as defensive structures

why

why did they make this game. there is no justification for this game. dear god the plot. the acting.

this game tries so hard and was promoted as being so good and it's just more insulting proviolence growth bullshit that assumes the player is incapable of figuring things out on their own. the fact that we know the author's intent with the game should already give enough ammo to criticize how poorly executed this is.

why make this game. so bad in so many ways.

In my opinion, this is the real divide with games like these. There are people who think "I feel so awesome blowing them up by using the environment" and there are people who think "My enemies are hiding behind gas, this presents zero challenge to me and is boring." It's the same with the qte argument, some people don't mind them, some people do. It's the fundamental design of these games that will always create someone like Tricky and someone like Derrick. Neither are wrong.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this GPS Cache
qPK3Rxz.jpg

Its probably something simple, but I need help ;_;

Andrew.

Banned
That might be possible..but I'm not sure if theres a parachute ability, mon jump ability or you don't fall when you die ability, as those seem like the only ways to aquire it.

Well we know there are rope arrows. Maybe you fire one down below and then zipline to it?

Lime

In my opinion, this is the real divide with games like these. There are people who think "I feel so awesome blowing them up by using the environment" and there are people who think "My enemies are hiding behind gas, this presents zero challenge to me and is boring." It's the same with the qte argument, some people don't mind them, some people do. It's the fundamental design of these games that will always create someone like Tricky and someone like Derrick. Neither are wrong.

Good post. It's the difference between minding and not minding being treated like a person incapable of individual thought. At least in cases where the game/film/book/show/comic/TV series/whatever attempts to be taken seriously.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I definitely recommend playing the game on Hard. Normal is a total cakewalk. That said, some of the hard enemy set pieces are extremely Hard. I had to dial it back down to normal for one of them.

Also, on that difficult combat setup, I died like 20 times. I think that the game carries experience over even after you die, so I essentially went up two levels from all the guys I killed in all my attempts.

Kind of a bad bug if what I thought I saw was actually happening.

Derrick01

Banned
Hmm I have to question the architectural design of this place I was just at. Not...the smartest place to put a building, I'll leave it at that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Unless you have reached Shittytown Shantytown, you really have no idea of what the firefights really can be.

That's the setup I was referring to.

Also, my framerate was god awful in Shantytown. I was getting steady 60 up to that point, but I was getting huge 30 and less spikes all over the place in that area.

Aeana

Unless you have reached Shittytown Shantytown, you really have no idea of what the firefights really can be.
I'm in the middle of it
met Grim, am trying to get up onto the cargo system
and it's not as bad as I thought it would be after reading posts. It's pretty manageable, and kinda fun using the bow as much as possible.

Jarmel

Banned
The game near the end just literally throws hordes of enemies at you at times. Shantytown isn't the last time where you'll deal with waves.

loving this game. My biggest complaint right now is the shaky cam and ARROWS.. everywhere! sometimes you can see 3-4 quivers at once just sitting there.

If you scavenge them from enemies you will be at full almost the entire time and wont even need the quivers yet they are EVERYWHERE.

Hawaii 22

Neo Member

I got up there by jumping the lower part of the rock on the right, then to the short wood thingies, then to the ledge. Needed a few tries and I am sure, there is a more correct way of doing it.

On second thought. Above this area there is a lake, I think. There should be swimming a red ballon wrapped in rope. Maybe you could drop it from the lake down to this area, then use it to jump to the ledge.

Captain N

And by the way, I really liked
Lara using dual pistols at the end when she blasts Osmund Saddler erhm... Mathias to his doom.
Classic!

I just came in here to post this!
They teased it earlier in the game and finally give you what you've been waiting for at the end. Using the L & R triggers felt great for the two guns and hope they bring them over to the next game.

So I was up until 3 in the morning. Beat the game with 66% complete and 230 Achievement Points. 11 Achievements.

Just hit Shantytown last night. Glad the game started opening up a this point. So far this is completely removed from TR, but it's a fun action game with a fantastic sense of place and atmosphere. I accepted that from the start. I'm enjoying it more than Uncharted 1/3 at the very least.

Replicant

The game near the end just literally throws hordes of enemies at you at times. Shantytown isn't the last time where you'll deal with waves.

Considering the story, it's kind of stupid that there are that many people in the island. Who are these bozos who keep coming to the Island even knowing the danger?

Jarmel

Banned
Considering the story, it's kind of stupid that there are that many people in the island. Who are these bozos who keep coming to the Island even knowing the danger?

The gondola level and the final level are absolutely ridiculous in the worst way possible. Everybody just going straight for the meat grinder that is Lara.

Fabrik

Banned

I know it's off-topic but out of curiosity, what are some of your all-time favorite games?

Top Bottom