• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can anyone off the top of their head throw out the number of enemies they think appear in the game? I'm just trying to do the trophy math in my head and whether or not reloading sections is required.

DukeBobby

This is true. I will channel the strength I used to tolerate sub 30fps drops during the shattered remnants of a series I love so much.

I guess that's what Tomb Raider is. Without framedrops, at least.

I CAN MAKE IT!

Don't worry, you'll be experiencing those framedrops soon enough.

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure what Jarmel is referring to. It's nothing remotely like Lost. It is an excellent game though, so check it out anyway. ;)

The whole narrative is a pretty straight ripoff of LOST.

A crew crashes on an island due to mystical storm/effects. They run into a hostile group of natives. Turns out the natives are trapped on the island as well. The island is a sort of prison where nobody leaves due to a mystical/supernatural force keeping everybody trapped.
. How is that not LOST?

I got up there by jumping the lower part of the rock on the right, then to the short wood thingies, then to the ledge. Needed a few tries and I am sure, there is a more correct way of doing it.

On second thought. Above this area there is a lake, I think. There should be swimming a red ballon wrapped in rope. Maybe you could drop it from the lake down to this area, then use it to jump to the ledge.

Haha thanks, that worked for me.

Slacker

The whole narrative is a pretty straight ripoff of LOST.

(deleted)

How is that not LOST?

I'm not finished with the game yet (maybe 8 hours in so far) so I'm afraid to read your spoiler. I think it's reasonable to say that while there may be some reveal at the end that has similarities to Lost, the game in general doesn't have that feel for me. Anyone going in to it expecting a Lost-like experience is going to be disappointed in my opinion.

For those that finished the game, what were your highlights?

It's all a blur to me outside of the
ship frame with the gondolas which was absurdly ridiculous on a level I haven't seen before and there's that The Descent section which was kind of interesting if not limited

What blew you all away?

Cheska

Stopped around midnight. Love it so far. I was sitting literally on the edge of my couch from when it first started until I finished for the night. A game hasnt done that to me for awhile. Also, Im finding myself actually slowly walking around the environment looking over everything and listening to the sounds. The level at which this game bleeds atmosphere is right up there with the best.

I actually do the same thing. I'm wearing headphones and I gotta say there are some creepy as hell parts. Even simple things like walking through a bush, and then hearing something, you're expecting enemies or an animal to pop out but instead it's the bush still rustling. Excellent attention to detail.

Jarmel

Banned
For those that finished the game, what were your highlights?

It's all a blur to me outside of the
ship frame with the gondolas which was absurdly ridiculous on a level Ihaven't seen before and there's that The Descent section which was kind of interesting if not limited

What blew you all away?

The Geothermal Caves are definitely my favorite level. Runnerup is probably the temple section. I also liked the beach a lot.

sublimit

Banned
Another question to those who have finished the game:
How much would you rate the puzzles and platforming (based on challenge) in this game?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The gondola level and the final level are absolutely ridiculous in the worst way possible. Everybody just going straight for the meat grinder that is Lara.
Great, it looks like the grand CD tradition of making me like the game for about half of it, and then starting to make me progressively hate it more and more as it gets near the end will continue. I pretty much wanted to throw the Underworld disc out the window by the time I died 100th time due to garbage camera and controls on the last level.

RedSwirl

I know almost nothing about the gameplay itself right now, but I just want to know: they didn't gut the puzzle-solving did they?

The main reason I even played the recent Tomb Raider games was because the franchise was almost the last one I could depend on for good environmental puzzle design outside of Zelda.

In fact to be honest, when I first heard "open-world Tomb Raider," my first thought was that it might be a sort of Zelda clone. That wouldn't be a bad fit for the franchise if you ask me.

There are no puzzles in this game. There's a couple of weight based physics challenges in the optional tombs but they take about a minute at most to solve.

FUCK.

Then what the hell is in this game that even makes it "Tomb Raider?"

Jarmel

Banned
I know almost nothing about the gameplay itself right now, but I just want to know: they didn't gut the puzzle-solving did they?

The main reason I even played the recent Tomb Raider games was because the franchise was almost the last one I could depend on for good environmental puzzle design outside of Zelda.

In fact to be honest, when I first heard "open-world Tomb Raider," my first thought was that it might be a sort of Zelda clone. That wouldn't be a bad fit for the franchise if you ask me.

Please don't come into this game expecting good puzzles. That obviously wasn't CD's intention and I would really let go of prior attachment to the TR franchise if that is your perspective coming in as you'll hate it.

sublimit

Banned
There are no puzzles in this game. There's a couple of weight based physics challenges in the optional tombs but they take about a minute at most to solve.

Damn.

How's the platforming?Are there any tricky/difficult jumps?Also are there any good traps in the game?

Skunkers

Just got this last night. Overall I thought it looked interesting at the original reveal, but wasn't expecting much. I imagine I'm around halfway through now and I'm completely blown away. This game is outstanding.

Damn.

How's the platforming?Are there any tricky/difficult jumps?Also are there any good traps in the game?

If you're facing the right way, you'll make any jump. Sometimes you'll have to press a button to steady your grip but you've got a prompt there to tell you when

No traps from what I recall

Jarmel

Banned
If you're facing the right way, you'll make any jump. Sometimes you'll have to press a button to steady your grip but you've got a prompt the to tell you when

No traps from what I recall

As far as I can tell, there are a total of two traps in the entire game. The first is forced and the second is about halfway. It feels so randomly thrown in and never used again.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So it's LAU all over agin.

I don't think most of thepeople praising this game are doing it from a gameplay standpoint (ie shooting, dealing with the environment, solving puzzles), I think most are doing it from an experience standpoint. The island and its setpieces have weight and atmosphere, the character has credibility, the rewards for completing a task or upgrading a skill are apparent, the overall polish of the game, etc. It seems like a good pat on the back kind of game, which is a-ok.

antitrop

Shantytown is my favorite area of the game so far, other than the Blighttown levels of FPS drop (locked 60 to sub-30 on PC).

RedSwirl

This is starting to sound like it contains none of the reasons I even played Tomb Raider in the first place. Still might be a good game, just no reason to call it Tomb Raider.

I'm an expert

So it's a complete and utter reboot? Not even following the core gameplay philosophies?

I'm in no position to talk since I haven't played it yet, but just going from even all the info from before release, I don't think anyone expected this to be a legacy TR game. Only now after release, though, are people basically confirming that it really is nothing like a legacy TR game. Which is fine by me, I don't like legacy TR.

antitrop

This is starting to sound like it contains none of the reasons I even played Tomb Raider in the first place. Still might be a good game, just no reason to call it Tomb Raider.
Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013 is quickly becoming one of my favorite female gaming protagonists, ever.

I despise the old Lara Croft and everything about her, she was a terrible character.

This reboot needed to happen. It needed to be nailed. Thankfully, they nailed it.

Can someone remind me of the GREAT puzzles in some past Tomb Raider games? I only remember alot of block pushing, lever pulling, and finding obscure peice to put into socket. I know theyre had to be quite a few better then that just that's all I can remember. Not a joke post btw just in case your wondering.

Top Bottom