• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

While I can see why people are comparing TR to the previous games in the series, I don't think it really helps as it was seemingly never the intention to mirror those games. Many seem to be failing to consider that this is an origin story. It's not the story of a seasoned Tomb Raider who's adventuring in service of her own curiosity, in uninhabited tombs laden with traps and whatever else.

Lara is really the only through line here and I think that's actually the point.

sublimit

Banned
This is starting to sound like it contains none of the reasons I even played Tomb Raider in the first place. Still might be a good game, just no reason to call it Tomb Raider.

Yeah.I'll try to judge it as a new IP when i get to play it but even then its focus on trivial (for me) aspects over gameplay i think will ruin my experience.Tbh judging from impressions from people i trust i'm not sure if i will even manage to finish it.

Andrew.

Banned
Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013 is quickly becoming one of my favorite female gaming protagonists, ever.

I despise the old Lara Croft and everything about her, she was a terrible character.

This reboot needed to happen. It needed to be nailed. Thankfully, they nailed it.

Agreed.

And I also agree on what you said about the similarity to Capt. Walker earlier. I get it =D

RagnarokX

Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 2013 is quickly becoming one of my favorite female gaming protagonists, ever.

I despise the old Lara Croft and everything about her, she was a terrible character.

This reboot needed to happen. It needed to be nailed. Thankfully, they nailed it.

It didn't need to happen because nobody gave a shit about the character. Old Lara was like Mario; You played for the gameplay, not the characters. What CD needed to do was fix their shitty gameplay. If they wanted to make Lara a better character and tell a story on top of that that would have been fine.

jbttwin

Just finished it and I really loved it.

Combat was overkill at times, but I can at least say the combat was good for once.

Derrick01

Banned
FUCK.

Then what the hell is in this game that even makes it "Tomb Raider?"

Well there's plenty of explosions in tombs at least! :p

Damn.

How's the platforming?Are there any tricky/difficult jumps?Also are there any good traps in the game?

The platforming is exactly like Uncharted's, maybe slightly better, but it's still aim Lara at a ledge, jump and she'll automatically grab the ledge. If you're aiming for a platform and miss a bit she'll grab the ledge of it so you can't fail a jump unless you go full retard and miss by 30 feet or something :lol

I spent the last hour or so running through a long linear area gunning down a hundred guys and watching just about everything in the world blow up around me constantly. They spent so much money on these roller coaster linear Michael Bay scenes and it gives me 0 tension because I know as long as I hold the stick down I will not die. And as far as being wowed at explosions in these roller coaster scenes, that ship sailed 3 years ago and TR missed the voyage.

Played about an hour and I'm liking it so far. Environments are a bit more open than I was expecting which is good and overall the game seems well executed. It's a shame there isn't a bigger focus on exploration and puzzles, it's mainly a shooter but I already knew that.

antitrop

It didn't need to happen because nobody gave a shit about the character. Old Lara was like Mario; You played for the gameplay, not the characters. What CD needed to do was fix their shitty gameplay. If they wanted to make Lara a better character and tell a story on top of that that would have been fine

I believe they succeeded in that, as well. Tomb Raider is one of the most polished and enjoyable video games I've played in years. It stands up to the juggernauts of the industry just fine.

I agree. I said this is another thread, but I think her characterisation and development over the game is strong and made me actually give a damn about her.

Arklite

So it's a complete and utter reboot? Not even following the core gameplay philosophies?

I think the gaming community as a whole tends to have a much safer interpretation of what 'reboot' should be, but yes it's as you describe, and this is much more Uncharted than old Tomb Raider. I've only played Uncharted 2 and even that had better environment/tomb puzzles than this game, though TR does a better job with fleshing out environments.

Andrew.

Banned
Despite all of the jokes regarding protecting her, her characterization is so good so far that I feel I probably will be pretty damn attached to her by the endgame.

RagnarokX

I believe they succeeded in that, as well. Tomb Raider is one of the most polished and enjoyable video games I've played in years. It stands up to the juggernauts of the industry just fine.

But they didn't. They retarded the platforming even worse than they had before. They improved the puzzles conceptually, but there are very few of them, fewer are really good, they made almost all of them optional, and they're very easy. They improved the combat by making you have to aim, but they put in so much of it that it gets tedious really fast.

RedSwirl

I'm in no position to talk since I haven't played it yet, but just going from even all the info from before release, I don't think anyone expected this to be a legacy TR game. Only now after release, though, are people basically confirming that it really is nothing like a legacy TR game. Which is fine by me, I don't like legacy TR.

I'm not even talking about the protagonist or story, but I at least expected this to be a game where you run around in ruins and solve puzzles. That's what I thought of as the core of the Tomb Raider GAME. That puzzle-solving was the one thing they got right in the previous games. Why get rid of it?

antitrop

But they didn't. They retarded the platforming even worse than they had before. They improved the puzzles conceptually, but they made almost all of them optional and they're very easy. They improved the combat by making you have to aim, but they put in so much of it that it gets tedious really fast.
I want more combat.

We want different games.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Bought the PC version at Amazon for $19 ($20 credit from SimCity + $5 credit I had before). It would be $15 if you count that they're giving $5 with the purchase of the game.

Can't wait to give this game a try. It should keep me busy until SimCity's server problems are resolved.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm not even talking about the protagonist or story, but I at least expected this to be a game where you run around in ruins and solve puzzles. That's what I thought of as the core of the Tomb Raider GAME. That puzzle-solving was the one thing they got right in the previous games. Why get rid of it?

Most likely because gamers' tastes have changed since then. People like getting exp for everything and upgrading stuff nowadays. And shooting from behind cover.

RagnarokX

I want more combat.

We want different games.

I just slogged through the shantytown and it was by far the worst area of the game yet. There were some impressive set pieces going on in that whole segment, but the amount of tedious combat was oppressing enjoyability.

Most likely because gamers' tastes have changed since then. People like getting exp for everything and upgrading stuff nowadays. And shooting from behind cover.

Hey, now, here's a wiiiiiiiild idea! How about they do both! Those systems are not mutually exclusive with challenging platforming and puzzle solving.

Lime

Despite all of the jokes regarding protecting her, her characterization is so good so far that I feel I probably will be pretty damn attached to her by the endgame.

I agree. I said this is another thread, but I think her characterisation and development over the game is strong and made me actually give a damn about her.

I'm curious, DeadRockstar and Andrew: Could you give me examples of "strong characterisation and development"?

I want more combat.

We want different games.

:/

You don't think you have had enough combat in almost all major video games? Isn't the vast amount of combat-focused titles sufficient for satiating your thirst? Besides, I don't think the combat in TR is particularly noteworthy in terms of player engagement.

Derrick01

Banned
I want more combat.

We want different games.

Why though? It's so brain dead in TR that I don't see how anyone could have fun with it. Maybe if the AI had any sort of intelligence to it and encouraged tactics and using the environment against them it would be fun, but this game is straight up jump above cover and pop then duck and wait and repeat.

sublimit

Banned
But they didn't. They retarded the platforming even worse than they had before. They improved the puzzles conceptually, but they made almost all of them optional and they're very easy. They improved the combat by making you have to aim, but they put in so much of it that it gets tedious really fast.

It's such a shame they improved the combat (an element that needed improvement ever since 1996) and then shoved it down our throats forgeting about the other more important core aspects of the series.

george_us

And as far as being wowed at explosions in these roller coaster scenes, that ship sailed 3 years ago and TR missed the voyage.
This sums up my view on the game perfectly. 3 years ago this game would of blown my mind or at least impressed me greatly. Now it's just...meh. Underworld was a flawed game, at least in the combat, but at least it was still somewhat unique in that it placed exploration and puzzle solving above it's mediocre combat. So far I haven't had any moments in the reboot like I did in Underworld when diving towards the underwater temple or seeing Thailand for the first time. This is just generic set piece after generic set piece with a shit story tacked on for good measure.

Maybe because it doesn't serve the story they were trying to tell or the pacing they were trying to achieve? This game has different goals.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game did have a few more puzzles and a bit more of a curious, exploratory tone when the focus doesn't need to be as tilted towards survival and trying to leave the location.

Lime

Yeah, but your positing a false dichotomy: It isn't either old 17-year old blueprint or this attempt at a cinematic cover-shooter. There are other alternatives to improving/innovating a series or a game than straight up copying already existing and downworn mechanics and gameplay. There was a much more positive vibe towards the survival-horror metroidvania a couple of years back, as well as the reaction to the ICO/SOTC influences.

antitrop

You don't think you have had enough combat in almost all video games? Isn't the vast amount of combat-focused titles sufficient for satiating your thirst?
Not as polished and enjoyable as this.

Killing people in Tomb Raider is more fun than in many other games, therefore I want more of it. The combat scenarios the game presents me with are extremely interesting and well-executed, I feel like the platforming and world traversal is just something I have to get through to get to the next great firefight set-piece.

But that's just my opinion, I understand why others want far, far less. I like murdering virtual human beings in creative and visually satisfying ways, though. I won't apologize for that.
I'm still a good person

RagnarokX

It's such a shame they improved the combat (an element that needed improvement ever since 1996) and then shoved it down our throats forgeting about the other more important core aspects of the series.

It gotten to the point where I'm dreading turning a corner cuz there might be another tedious firefight around it.

Nobody wants the games exactly like they were 17 years ago. Nice false dichotomy/strawman, though. It could be this game with a shit ton more puzzles and more skillful platforming.

If this game stuck with the same 17 year old Tomb Raider blueprint, everyone, even the True Fans, would be complaining about using the same fucking 17 year old blueprint.

I wanted a reboot. I hadn't played a TR in years, I tried Underworld and pretty much decided CD wasn't making the kind of game I wanted. When they released the art for this game and the general concept, I was onboard hardcore.

It's been a rough 6 months or so realizing CD still wasn't going to make the kind of game I wanted.

antitrop

So given you hated old Lara, you would have (in theory) been happy if this had been an entirely new IP that copied Uncharted and left tomb raider as it was?
Yes, absolutely. But I'm glad that this is a reboot, because it makes the legendary character of Lara Croft interesting for the first time in 16 years (other than the films).

A character of her fame deserves a quality game like this.

Lime

Maybe because it doesn't serve the story they were trying to tell or the pacing they were trying to achieve? This game has different goals

Killing waves and waves of people on a forgotten island doesn't serve the game's story either.

Not as polished and enjoyable as this.

Killing people in Tomb Raider is more fun than in many other games, therefore I want more of it. The combat scenarios the game presents me with are extremely interesting and well-executed, I feel like the platforming and world traversal is just something I have to get through to get to the next great firefight set-piece.

But that's just my opinion, I understand why others want far, far less. I like murdering virtual human beings in creative and visually satisfying ways, though. I won't apologize for that.
I'm still a good person

That's a fair point and I can respect your position. I can definitely see why you like this game then :)

Andrew.

Banned
There are other alternatives to improving/innovating a series or a game than straight up copying already existing and downworn mechanics and gameplay.

But if the mechanics work and are better than what they were inspired by, then who gives a shit who copied from whom?

If you didn't have fun, then thats you and the other half dozen. Im having a blast and so are most of the people here =P

I guarantee the next Uncharted will have Drake talking about each artifact he picks up. Oh shit, look who he aped that off of!

RedSwirl

Maybe because it doesn't serve the story they were trying to tell or the pacing they were trying to achieve? This game has different goals.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game did have a few more puzzles and a bit more of a curious, exploratory tone when the focus doesn't need to be as tilted towards survival and trying to leave the location.

I'm not asking it to be the exact same game as before. Otherwise it wouldn't be a reboot. I'm just a bit surprised that this new game apparently doesn't share ANY of the gameplay philosophies that made the franchise what it is. It's like they care more about the character than the actual game she's in.

Yeah, but your positing a false dichotomy: It isn't either old 17-year old blueprint or this attempt at a cinematic cover-shooter. There are other alternatives to improving/innovating a series or a game than straight up copying already existing and downworn mechanics and gameplay. There was a much more positive vibe towards the survival-horror metroidvania a couple of years back, as well as the reaction to the ICO/SOTC influences.

This all goes back towards user preference. I mean I loved the last three Tomb Raider games, but they fact people were getting tired of it showed they needed to try something else. Granted they could have done it differently. I think this sets the ground work for a new way forward in the series. One that hopefully attracts more people then the older Tomb Raiders did. I can't tell you how many times when telling people at Gamestop about the new Tomb Raider, just rolled their eyes and said they're tired of them. It was the majority of customers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's basically Uncharted with a Lara Croft skin. Actually the game seems to have less platforming than the Uncharted games.
No most of the game is running about, climbing and collecting and finding stuff, exploration if you will
Uncharted has way more combat

RagnarokX

Yes, absolutely. But I'm glad that this is a reboot, because it makes the legendary character of Lara Croft interesting for the first time in 16 years (other than the films).

A character of her fame deserves a quality game like this.

Isn't this like giving someone fame by murdering them and giving someone that bears their resemblance their name?

Teleporter

Played for 2hs yesterday with tesselation off and TressFX all the way! Didnt had a single drop frame or crash! Cmon nvidia give us tesselation like it should be! I want my Lara even rounder!!!

I'm curious, DeadRockstar and Andrew: Could you give me examples of "strong characterisation and development"?

Over the course of the game, Lara goes from scared and incapable to reluctant yet determined and finally to capable and brave.

Her interactions with Roth kick off the eventual realisation that's she has the desire and capability to save her friends and leave the island, despite initially feeling like she wouldn't be able to do it without him.

I felt the evolution was quite clear over the entire game and I was affected by it.

Edit: By the end of the game she has the bravery to venture back into danger voluntarily to save others. At the start of the game she's just doing what's necessary to survive and is much more afraid.

antitrop

No most of the game is running about, climbing and collecting and finding stuff, exploration if you will
Uncharted has way more combat
I've only played Uncharted 1 and half of 2 (I should finish that...), but that's what it feels like to me, as well.

Derrick01

Banned
I would have been happy if this game was an actual survival/exploration game instead of simply pretending to be one while in reality just being another Uncharted game. Guns and ammo should be precious commodities and hard to find, AI should be smart enough that stealth and melee combat should actually be challenging, platforming should have a whiff of difficulty to it instead of press A in the general direction of the target.

Guess I'm going back to hoping Last of Us can fulfill some of those targets.

Top Bottom