• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I think I should explain to people that I don't rate Uncharted 2 quite as highly as most. I think it is very good, but not anything too amazing.

dreamfall

Tomb Raider apparently is paced very well, and all the UC games have mostly great pacing (UC3's second act asides...). I think that would definitely be a good approach.

In fact, we could probably still globe trot and do that. Imagine hubs in different countries, multiple inter-connected hubs to explore.

X0qD0Ku.gif

DAY DREAMING!

That would be utterly marvelous! Oh, the possibilities! Exploring all different parts of the world, meeting unique side characters, switching up level designs...

My goodness. Some of the technical flourish of the UC engine + mixed with open hub exploration = seriously incredible.

Raptor

Yep, NP anything else you might want to see?

Hey man, can you describe how the gunplay feels? snappy? punchy? satisfaying? Killing dudes feels very cool?

Also the controls, how exactly does they feel? like Uncharted?

I really hope the gunplay is not like Uncharted at all, I don't like bulletsponge enemies.

I think I should explain to people that I don't rate Uncharted 2 quite as highly as most. I think it is very good, but not anything too amazing.

That's cool...TR being the RE4 of the TR franchise is pretty much the highest praise the game can get for me and exactly what I wanted out of it.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Leaning toward the PC version. Should I be worried there are currently no reviews for the PC version?
yes and no, of course we all want some sort of idea how the pc version is but lately square have release very good pc ports so im relatively calm this time around

Hey man, can you describe how the gunplay feels? snappy? punchy? satisfaying? Killing dudes feels very cool?

Also the controls, how exactly does they feel? like Uncharted?

I really hope the gunplay is not like Uncharted at all, I don't like bulletsponge enemies.

Shooting feels solid. The dodge/crawl on the ground move is handy. The bullets feel like they pack a punch with enemies reacting, but playing on hard they sure can take quite a few hits before going down. I don't really feel the gunplay feels exactly like uncharted though. Then again it's been a few months since I played it.

dreamfall

Leaning toward the PC version. Should I be worried there are currently no reviews for the PC version?

Hard to say really. The fact that it is arriving on the same release date as consoles plus being ported by Nixxes assuages some of my concerns.

That hair power!

Raptor

Shooting feels solid. The dodge/crawl on the ground move is handy. The bullets feel like they pack a punch with enemies reacting, but playing on hard they sure can take quite a few hits before going down. I don't really feel the gunplay feels exactly like uncharted though. Then again it's been a few months since I played it.

Thanks, thats good enough for me.

dreamfall

It almost lessens the pain knowing we won't ever get another Alice game... :'-(

Almost indeed :(

It's so crazy to think that no game since Alice has really even shown us some awesome hair graphical capabilities. I think devs have tried, but maybe the tech hadn't been established?

God knows I'm dreaming of Tress FX Bayonetta 2.

dreamfall

I really wish Digital Foundry would hurry up and compare the games. Gotta know if I need to switch my pre-order before the 5th!

Which version did you pre-order? I always used to get whatever version most reviewers got a copy of.

Doesn't 360 version have some extra DLC or something? And I don't think I've seen any footage outside of pieces of the diaries/E3 presentation (seemed to be on 360, maybe I'm wrong?). Didn't want to spoil anything!

I was burned by Red Dead on PS3 (did double dip later though!). After that, those Digitial Foundry comparisons seemed of utmost importance!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Have not beaten it yet but I keep telling people this. It truly is the RE4 of Tomb Raider.

It very much seems that way. In fact, i would say development of this game seems almost completely driven from a mentality back in the day around when Tomb Raider Underworld was releasing. Before that game was coming out, a lot of talk was made about how Tomb Raider needed an RE 4 equivalent to spice up the franchise. When Underworld finally arrived and was still very much like Legend, people were disappointed (i still liked the game). They said it wasnt the RE 4 reboot Crystal Dynamics was hoping it would be.

There were so many comparisons made at the time, i would not be surprised if this new game is a direct result of design coming directly from RE 4, to try and mimic that success of a reboot. Seems like they pulled it off, only sales will tell now if they will get more sequels.

I really wish Digital Foundry would hurry up and compare the games. Gotta know if I need to switch my pre-order before the 5th!

Ive been waiting for this too but i suspect ill still go with the 360. I pretty much game almost always on that system now except for exclusives. Results might find lower resolution of the 360 version but it having more effects (just like Underworld).

Spazznid

Almost indeed :(

It's so crazy to think that no game since Alice has really even shown us some awesome hair graphical capabilities. I think devs have tried, but maybe the tech hadn't been established?

God knows I'm dreaming of Tress FX Bayonetta 2.

Wow, never thought of that....

It very much seems that way. In fact, i would say development of this game seems almost completely driven from a mentality back in the day around when Tomb Raider Underworld was releasing. Before that game was coming out, a lot of talk was made about how Tomb Raider needed an RE 4 equivalent to spice up the franchise. When Underworld finally arrived and was still very much like Legend, people were disappointed (i still liked the game). They said it wasnt the RE 4 reboot Crystal Dynamics was hoping it would be.

There were so many comparisons made at the time, i would not be surprised if this new game is a direct result of design coming directly from RE 4, to try and mimic that success of a reboot. Seems like they pulled it off, only sales will tell now if they will get more sequels.

Nice to know. I hadn't really remembered this talk. I too enjoyed Underworld along with the other Tomb Raider games. I like this approach though. Especially with some of the exploring for artifacts and such. I'm back in an area right now exploring and having a blast. Doesn't hurt that the graphics and setting are just wonderful for these areas.

Which version did you pre-order? I always used to get whatever version most reviewers got a copy of.

Doesn't 360 version have some extra DLC or something? And I don't think I've seen any footage outside of pieces of the diaries/E3 presentation (seemed to be on 360, maybe I'm wrong?). Didn't want to spoil anything!

I was burned by Red Dead on PS3 (did double dip later though!). After that, those Digitial Foundry comparisons seemed of utmost importance!

I've got the 360 version pre-ordered.....they have showed literally zero footage from the PS3 version. It seems like the safer bet at the moment, but I still just wanna be sure. And the 360 version gets timed exclusive DLC.

dreamfall

I've got the 360 version pre-ordered.....they have showed literally zero footage from the PS3 version. It seems like the safer bet at the moment, but I still just wanna be sure. And the 360 version gets timed exclusive DLC.

Ah, alright. I hope that it isn't exclusive for long! But I'm really glad they're offering the DLC to everyone (even if after some time), unlike those Underworld packs!

antitrop

Ya, I'm convinced. I had to pull the trigger on the CAGROCKS code. Can't beat $33 for the PC version day 1. Just think of all the poor saps paying $60 for it.

gdt

Ya, I'm convinced. I had to pull the trigger on the CAGROCKS code. Can't beat $33 for the PC version day 1. Just think of all the poor saps paying $60 for it.

I cheated a bit.....bought Bioshock on GMG...and they gave me $17 on credit. Used that plus a discount code and I bought this game for $17 dollars. Sweet baby jesus pc gaming.

RoKKeR

God damn that's tempting as hell...

But I feel like I'll play it once and never touch it again.

RagnarokX

I would say there are lots of games that focus on platforming and puzzle solving and lots of games that focus on shooting, but very few games that do BOTH, whether they focus more on shooting, platforming or puzzle solving.

I haven't played it yet, but the dozen or so reviews I read all praised the action elements. Even the Machinima review said the action was well done.

I wouldn't personally classify Uncharted as a third person shooter. It's more of an action adventure game to me. It definitely influenced a lot of games in terms of scripted sequences, linearity and trying to be cinematic. I'd put things like Gears and Max Payne in the third person shooter bracket.

Again, I haven't played this yet, but the Arkham games have very few real puzzles, and nothing that sounds like the optional puzzles included here. I'd put those firmly in action adventure too.

I guess the disconnect between you and me, is that I've always seen both games as action adventure, with one a bit more towards the action end of the continuum, and the other a bit more towards the adventure side. What I see as a slight shift along that continuum you see a flipped bit tantamount to a complete change of genre.

I see a game that has the things I expect to see in a Tomb Raider game. I just see a bit more action that I'd expect and a bit less platforming and puzzle solving than I'd expect. It still looks like a fun adventure in the kinds of environments I prefer the series to focus on (which it hasn't always done to the degree I'd like). It still looks like a Tomb Raider game. Uncharted was never so different as to avoid the Dude Raider tag early on, because there are plenty of similarities between both games. Tomb Raider 2 had way more action than Tomb Raider 1. Tomb Raider 3 had way fewer tombs than Tomb Raider 1. I still enjoyed them.

We're not going to agree, obviously because our perspectives on this are completely different. But I still see plenty of platformers on the market. I still see plenty of action adventures. I still see plenty of third person shooters. So I look at that, and I shrug.

Maybe it's that, based on what I've seen, I don't really consider it to be doing both, really, since the ratio of combat and scripted spectacle to puzzles is incredibly one sided. I've seen I suppose about the first half of the game, and in that time I saw about 3 real mandatory puzzles. I don't feel like watching any more because I only wanted to watch until I saw something that looked interesting enough for me to want to play the game, but maybe someone that has played the whole game can confirm or deny if the second half of the game suddenly shoves a bunch of puzzles at you or just continues the pace of the first half.

Effect

You can still cancel PC download preorders before the game releases on Amazon.com right?

For $34 I might be willing to bite. If I'm disappointed it wouldn't hurt to much. Will decide before it's to late.

I'm just gonna sit here staring at the Google image results of 'camilla luddington esquire' until Tuesday, k guys.

esq-16-camilla-luddington-esquire-photos-070611-lg.jpg

Interview with her:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/02/26/tomb-raider-camilla-luddington/

a snippet:

So paint the picture for me: What is it like when you’re doing mo-cap for a game like this?

You’re in what they call “the volume” and it’s this huge, huge room and there are cameras 360 degrees around above you. That’s kind of amazing because you’re never having to pay attention to where the camera is like when you’re on a TV show. You’re in motion capture suits but they have flat-screens around the room, and once you get synced into the suits—you have to do all these little actions with your hands and the computer syncs you in—Lara would appear on the flat-screen and I could look up and wherever I would move, or if I cocked my head to one side, she would do the same thing.

In the room they would have these boxes and they would say, “This is a fire” or “This is a tree” or “This is a wall” and I would walk up to it and look up at the flat-screen and see the fire. That was kind of incredible. I was able to constantly refer back to the TVs to see what this landscape would look like. And that made it very real because sometimes you’re standing on a box and they’re saying, “This is a boat,” and you can look up and it gives you visual that I didn’t think you’d be able to get.

But it’s hours and hours and it’s exhausting, and I didn’t tell anyone forever that I was doing it. I remember, I had bruises all over my body at some points because it was rough. I was doing Californication and doing some nudity and they had to cover the bruises. They must have thought I was being abused at home or something. I’d be like, “Oh, I just bumped into this thing today,” because I couldn’t talk about the project, so they were slightly concerned.

lol

Obviously, one of the major components of Lara Croft is the way in which she’s been used as a blatant sex symbol for most of her shelf life. What was the plan in terms of making her more of an actual person and less fantasy-fulfillment?

There were conversations to make her more realistic. She can still be a sex symbol of sorts without having to wear a tiny pair of shorts and these gigantic boobs while running around. There was a lot of talk about the fact that with the Batman reboot and the James Bond reboot, those characters became more gritty and less stereotypes of what they were becoming, so they wanted to steer away from that.

She’ll be taken more seriously and that’s what they wanted. I don’t know how well it would have worked if she’s going through these sincere and brutal experiences and she’s in hot pants.She’s just more relatable and I think that’s more interesting for a gamer to play because you want to relate to that person while you’re playing them and get invested.

Top Bottom