• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Could this woman please put on a fucking coat? I mean god damn.

Yeah right, maybe if the game was focused on narrative and atmosphere this would've mattered. But it's clearly not....so it clearly doesn't. Ohhh look, a collectable.

If you want characters to wear coats, #ReadABook

Yuripaw

Banned
I just wanted to post this...

5D52DE31E384F8DFBD035193EA33E7B48AED2DB5

This was taken on my PC earlier today while I was playing, and damn...Even at only 1280x720, on Normal settings, this game looks fucking amazing sometimes.

ironcreed

Banned
Got to the Base Exterior and am going to call it a night. Game keeps on delivering and I am going to take my time and soak it all in.

In addition to my earlier compliments, I just want to add that this is easily one of the most technically impressive games I have played this gen. Just wow. If it looks this gorgeous on PS3, I imagine guys playing it maxed on a nice rig are drooling from the eye candy. Monster of an engine this thing is running on, in just about every respect.

I just wanted to post this...
amazing.jpg
This was taken on my PC earlier today while I was playing, and damn...Even at only 1280x720, on Normal settings, this game looks fucking amazing sometimes.

I totally forgot about that part! The entire time I was thinking to myself about how dark the game had gotten and if anybody on youtube had a guide on how to build samurai armor :)

Obviously the two biggest inspirations for this game were Uncharted and Arkham, and I just can't help but feel like it does what they do considerably worse. There isn't a single moment where I was like "OH FUCK THAT WAS SICK!!!!" like in Uncharted 2, and the hub design and collectibles pale in comparison to either Arkham games, there's no thought required to get them like the riddles.

Nilaul

This game could had been so much deeper.

At the begging of the game she cares about, food, shelter and water. It even tells you to go find food and water. However the rest of the game... is like "fuck it* days past, I haven't drank, or ate.

They like they completely forgot about survival... Nor that I should probably go hunt a boar to make my self some warm clothes. But ye... never-mind instead just concentrate on killing bad guys instead.

Apart from that.. there's an awkward amount of weird thorn bushes blocking off caves. I think that's for DLC tombs.

Its a good game.. but it defiantly not survival. The tombs are awesome; shame the ones I accoutered so far; are small and their rewards disappointing.

Mesoian

I need TressFX in every game now. Game changer.

Maybe once they figure out how to make it not knock 20 fps off the whole package.

Decided to get to 100% before beating the game. Did so, beat the game, quit, then realized that Steam had crashed in the background and deleted my save.

::slow clap::

Well, the game was fun, and it didn't take long to get all the collectibles, so I might do it again.

I hated the whole "you're going to want to protect Lara" line in the beginning.

After seeing some gruesome death footage. Being slammed to death by a giant rock, being impaled by a branch in the river... it is starting to sound ever so slightly less creepy than the alternative.

I plan to buy the game soon enough. And if I ever get to the river segment, I'm going to be going "crap crap don't die I don't want to see that."

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay, finished it a little while ago. Here are some general impressions:

Positives
-Incredible atmosphere. Great audio work and environment design
-This game's controls are some of the best in any game
-Lara is an interesting character (aside from disconnect between in game and story)
-There's a healthy mix of combat and exploration, with a few exceptions
-Even though the platforming is simple, it's interesting enough for the same reason Uncharted's is (mainly setpieces)

Negatives
-The story is really bad, for reasons already mentioned
-The supporting cast is abysmal; there's very little backstory. I don't give a damn about what fat Vaas does because I only know him as a cook. Same goes for the sassy mechanic, the techy dude, and the rest of the side characters.
-Lara's transformation from weak archaeologist to hardened destroyer of worlds needed to be address more in the story. I mean good lord, I'm fucking mercs up with a
shotgun with dragon's breath rounds
. Where did she suddenly acquire marksmanship skills? Maybe she knew how to wield weapons before? Who knows, nothing is explained. Total disconnect between the story and what happens in game, for the most part
-Multiplayer is shit mountain
-Not nearly enough puzzles, and the ones that are present are mind-numbingly easy
-There are a few sections with far too much combat

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. It's basically a more open Uncharted. I'm a frugal person, so I don't know if I could recommend a $60 purchase (as there is little to no replay value). Still, this was a blast, and I wholeheartedly anticipate a sequel. To continue with Uncharted comparisons, I'd say this is where the game as a whole lies:

Uncharted 2>Tomb Raider>>>>>>>>>>Uncharted>Uncharted 3

I have a handful of issues with the game, but they are most definitely outweighed by the positives. I suppose if I had to give a number (using the whole scale), it'd be something like 8.5.

Dead

well not really...yet
Man the stealth possibilities in this forest are great. Would have been amazing if you could set up traps and drag bodies.

Mesoian

I hated the whole "you're going to want to protect Lara" line in the beginning.

After seeing some gruesome death footage. Being slammed to death by a giant rock, being impaled by a branch in the river... it is starting to sound ever so slightly less creepy than the alternative.

I plan to buy the game soon enough. And if I ever get to the river segment, I'm going to be going "crap crap don't die I don't want to see that."

You're gonna see it. That section is pretty much tailored so that the first time you go through it, you'll die at that part at least once.

Man the stealth possibilities in this forest are great. Would have been amazing if you could set up traps and drag bodies.

Yeah, there's a lot of room to expand on the systems introduced into this game. Given that there's a clear stealth element, I found it kind of strange that enemies never react to walking over each others dead bodies.

In the sequel I hope it becomes more Lara the Tactician/Huntsman than Lara the Action Movie Star

Skilletor

I love how detailed description and analysis of why people dislike the global game continues to be dismissed by morons as just 'haters.'

I've been in Arma 3 for a while. I know Steam has patched my games a few times. Is it safe for me to play maxed out yet on i7 920@4Ghz/GTX 680/12 Gb ram or is it still a bit wonky? I think it's a fantastic game, but it had a few technical issues that I decided to wait on a patch for. If Arma 3 hadn't been consuming all my time, I probably would feel different than that. But, being as it has, I'm okay with waiting for TR to perform better on my rig. Any thoughts from someone who has a similar rig?

You know what? Good. I'm always glad when someone feels this way about any game, no matter if I agree with it or not. Who the fuck am I to tell someone what's good for them? I can only speak for myself, and despite my disagreeing with you, I'm glad you had such a great time with the game.

:)

I think the world internet would be a much nicer place if people had attitude like yours. I know some people who take it as a personal insult if you don't agree with their tastes. It pays to remember that people aren't made in a Nissan factory and that we are all different. How boring would the world be if McDonald's only needed the Big Mac on the menu?

I think also a lot of people would probably be happier if they could just say "I enjoyed that" without trying to dive into the deeper reasons why. One of my degrees is English Lit, and it's tempting for me to try and over-analyse any media that I engage with, but I try to remember that I shouldn't bring that into my enjoyment and that it's okay to just switch off and enjoy something. I'd probably shoot myself if I went into a movie like Transformers (Bay) and tried to analyse what was good about and why I enjoyed it. :p

border

They like they completely forgot about survival... Nor that I should probably go hunt a boar to make my self some warm clothes. But ye... never-mind instead just concentrate on killing bad guys instead.

I think it's pretty obvious that they wanted to have a survival component of the game, but gave up either to make deadlines or because the survival stuff wasn't very fun. Or because it takes away from the sense of urgency.

I would have liked the game a lot less if I had to stop and hunt a boar or tend to my wounds.

Bladenic

Played some more up to the
base exterior or snow mountain.
Game keeps getting better in my opinion. The two areas before this were incredibly well done. Can't wait to play more.

Definitely not much or really any "survival" besides the superficial aspect really. At least a health gauge or something. I would've loved it if they implemented some sort of wound system where you had to patch yourself up or something. Oh well.

sublimit

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that they wanted to have a survival component of the game, but gave up either to make deadlines or because the survival stuff wasn't very fun. Or because it takes away from the sense of urgency.

Or because Uncharted is not like that. :p

Dahbomb

I would have liked the game a lot less if I had to stop and hunt a boar or tend to my wounds.
Yea god forbid the game actually deliver on the survival mechanics that it was hyped on.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am guessing the game was through some pretty serious gameplay revamps throughout development. An actual survival based game on an open island would still be fucking amazing if pulled off well.

deim0s

I am guessing the game was through some pretty serious gameplay revamps throughout development. An actual survival based game on an open island would still be fucking amazing if pulled off well.

All they need is to add the stomach grumbling noises then you'll know that it's time to hunt and eat. An empty stomach can be disadvantageous like while doing a stealth kill... *growl* "What the!? Shes here!!!"

Wasted opportunity.

buffi

Banned
Survival elements has never been done well in a game tbh.

Look at MGS:Snake Eater as an example. That game would have been a lot better if they had just stripped away the survival gimmick.

Glad they didn't go that route here.

This game is kindof amazing.

Canon

Banned
I'm lost in the
research facility
with the numbered elevators. Lara says "just 2 more to go" but I don't know where to go.

Look at MGS:Snake Eater as an example. That game would have been a lot better if they had just stripped away the survival gimmick.

Uhhhh, no? All the survival stuff in Snake Eater was unique and added an entire other set of sub systems and gameplay scenarios to what would've just been "MGS2 in da forest" without it. Tomb Raider going all survival like they alluded to would've given the game a much stronger identity.

Spoiler from (what I think is) a bit over halfway through the game:

As you're exploring the original ship you came to the island on, it was a great story-telling moment to have Lara in her room again, looking at herself in the mirror and seeing the sheer toll and damage she's endured. The initial scene at the beginning of the game is memorable because it's the first time you see her face fully, and more than likely you somewhat admired her beauty; so when look again and see the scars, the dirt, the grime, the wear and tear, it causes you to reflect on everything she's been through and how it must have changed her. All this without any dialogue. A simple, effective character moment.

hitmon

Spoiler from (what I think is) a bit over halfway through the game:

As you're exploring the original ship you came to the island on, it was a great story-telling moment to have Lara in her room again, looking at herself in the mirror and seeing the sheer toll and damage she's endured. The initial scene at the beginning of the game is memorable because it's the first time you see her face fully, and more than likely you somewhat admired her beauty; so when look again and see the scars, the dirt, the grime, the wear and tear, it causes you to reflect on everything she's been through and how it must have changed her. All this without any dialogue. A simple, effective character moment.

I agree, that was a great moment.

Top Bottom