• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

RagnarokX

Uhhhh, no? All the survival stuff in Snake Eater was unique and added an entire other set of sub systems and gameplay scenarios to what would've just been "MGS2 in da forest" without it. Tomb Raider going all survival like they alluded to would've given the game a much stronger identity.

Perhaps, but it would have removed the game even further from what I want in a Tomb Raider. I'd rather they put the platforming and puzzles back in.

Survival elements has never been done well in a game tbh.

Look at MGS:Snake Eater as an example. That game would have been a lot better if they had just stripped away the survival gimmick.

Glad they didn't go that route here.

This game is kindof amazing.

A lot better? You could pretty much 99.9% ignore it if you wanted so I don't see how that is the case.

It would have been a delicate balancing act for them in tomb raider and a big risk. I doubt they could have pulled it off. The problem now is it will be pretty tough to go back. They'll want to add more A's for TR2 and we all know how that plays out.

123rl

I'm coming up to the finale now. It's a shame because this is in my top 5 favourite single player games of this generation. I have enjoyed every moment of it so far. I'm not sure how long I've been playing but it's quite a big game and the quality has remained high from the very beginning.

Perhaps, but it would have removed the game even further from what I want in a Tomb Raider. I'd rather they put the platforming and puzzles back in.

Well I'd still want a Tomb Reboot with actual survival gameplay to contain a ton of exploration and puzzles. I'm not saying make the game 50% combat, 50% survival stuff, but having a layer of real survival mechanics, wildlife that actually mattered, camping spots that were more than weapon delivery systems, enemy encounters that are less frequent, more messy, and less reliant on firearms and explosions would've made for a unique game.

Raiding a camp for supplies that are more than just XP bar fillers, killing a deer for meat in preparation for this cave you're about to descend into, solving a labyrinth of mysteries in there, pausing for a second to roast that deer meat, fighting off wolves and skinning them for fur that would give you an advantage over enemies in the cold areas, repairing wounds and broken legs after bad jumps or risk slower movement in platforming and combat, etc. How can "Uncharted with side rooms" be more appealing than that? I'll never understand it.

Well I'd still want a Tomb Reboot with actual survival gameplay to contain a ton of exploration and puzzles. I'm not saying make the game 50% combat, 50% survival stuff, but having a layer of real survival mechanics, wildlife that actually mattered, camping spots that were more than weapon delivery systems, enemy encounters that are less frequent, more messy, and less reliant on firearms and explosions would've made for a unique game.

Plus some miasmata (or whatever it is) navigation/map/orienteering elements. Throw in some dark souls like coop note making if they feel the urge to help you find things or talk to other adventurers at camp fires to team up raiding a tomb or to compare maps.

Would be an amazing game. It is never going to get made.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone spoiler-hint me on how roughly how much I've got left from the game after
the team leaves the docks with the boat?
With these games, I'm always expecting a sudden and surprising finale, and I kinda want to explore stuff before that happens.

edit: Thankies :)

Can anyone spoiler-hint me on how roughly how much I've got left from the game after
the team leaves the docks with the boat?
With these games, I'm always expecting a sudden and surprising finale, and I kinda want to explore stuff before that happens.

Not too long, but you can keep exploring after the end, so don't sweat it.

TripOpt55

I have the weirdest feelings about this game. On the one hand, I feel like it's a well-made nicely balanced action adventure game. The combat is solid. The exploration is a lot of fun particularly in the larger hubs. Looked at as a sort of more-open Uncharted-esque game, it is a good one. And the platforming is better than in that series I think (though clearly that is not nearly good enough for a TR game).

But as a Tomb Raider game, I just feel like it has gotten too far from what I love about the series. The platforming and puzzles have taken a bit of a backseat and more than anything have become way too easy. I think what makes it hurt most is there are so few games like TR. I'm not sure there is a currently running series that scratches the itch it typically does. Last gen Prince of Persia and I suppose Mirror's Edge being the two, but those aren't exactly popping out new entries lately. It was a series focused on challenging platforming and puzzles with combat being a mild distraction at times.

As I go to bed I'm leaning more towards the disappointment for what it's not. I think it particularly bothers me because they easily could have had stuff like the series is known for in place of the setpieces and the game been a much better game. The open hubs, improved combat and gear-gating stuff I think would have added to the game, but then it still would have kept its focus where it was supposed to be while taking the series into a new direction. Again, totally torn on this game now.

The Lamp

Just played the first four hours of the game with a friend. I think it's great. A good balance of great pacing, light exploration and fun combat. The areas are really fun to play in. Not much complexity or puzzle solving but it's a neat game on its own.

My friend was yelling at me for not reading all the artifact informations (''PAY ATTENTION TO THE ARTIFACTS THEY'RE CRUCIAL TO THE STORY.WTF ARE YOU DOING?? ARE YOU JUST PLAYING FOR THE GAMEPLAY??'') and going off the expected path to explore, ''YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THERE'', etc. Lol modern mainstream gamers. I tried to explain to him that in video games sometimes they reward you for looking around for extra areas or objects. He replied '' not in this game. This game is logical. It's not a Japanese game. You go where you're supposed to. ''

I'm wondering if other mainstream gamers think that way.

I just kept playing the game and intentionally doing stuff that annoyed him. Like making Lara jump up and down. '' NO STOP DOING THAT '' Lols.

Just played the first four hours of the game with a friend. I think it's great. A good balance of great pacing, light exploration and fun combat. The areas are really fun to play in. Not much complexity or puzzle solving but it's a neat game on its own.

My friend was yelling at me for not reading all the artifact informations (''PAY ATTENTION TO THE ARTIFACTS THEY'RE CRUCIAL TO THE STORY.WTF ARE YOU DOING?? ARE YOU JUST PLAYING FOR THE GAMEPLAY??'') and going off the expected path to explore, ''YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GO THERE'', etc. Lol modern mainstream gamers. I tried to explain to him that in video games sometimes they reward you for looking around for extra areas or objects. He replied '' not in this game. This game is logical. It's not a Japanese game. You go where you're supposed to. ''

I just kept playing the game and intentionally doing stuff that annoyed him. Like making Lara jump up and down. '' NO STOP DOING THAT '' Lols.

What am I reading?

I've started to think about the more open areas; they don't seem any more expansive than what you'd typically find in a 3D platformer.

Am I misremembering or would these areas have seemed pretty average at a time? (mid last gen)

I've started to think about the more open areas; they don't seem any more expansive than what you'd typically find in a 3D platformer.

Am I misremembering or would these areas have seemed pretty average at a time? (mid last gen)
They're not big at all. The game looks great, but you can tell the game design is being held back. A next gen sequel with more expansive areas and better enemy AI will be awesome.

HYDE

Banned
I love this game so much...It's in my top 10 of this generation. What an awesome blend of everything I wanted from this type of game and
samurai encounters
incredible!

First Tomb Raider game I loved, and I really liked Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light.

TheDanger

Banned
Absouletly loved it, it's like a very long action movie actually. I enjoyed the combat, the exploration, the platforming and the too easy riddles. The story was ok, but nothing mindblowing by any means. I didn't care about any of the characters besides Lara and Grim, but I think that's just because of his accent. Goddamn this game looks amazing, it's up there with Halo 4 for the best looking 360 game. The atmosphere was amazing too and I loved that the HUD was only there when needed. The MP is really bad and they should have just made a longer single player.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it with 67% :D

Amazing game, I loved the part during the finale when
Lara got the second handgun for a few seconds :)
. I also really liked the credit roll, so much more personal and involved than pretty much all other games with the
pics and the lovely little "Thank you" message and the shoutouts to every freaking fansite ever and even the forum team (finally someone recognizes them as an actual part of the team).
First Tomb Raider game I loved, and I really liked Lara Croft: The Guardian of Light.
^this :)

Just in case someone from CD browses this thread: You did a fantastic job, Crystal Dynamics, and you made a new Tomb Raider fan with this game! Thanks for the work and love you put into this game! Up to now, easily my GotY 2013.

Just beat the game with 81%. Have to say, this surpassed my expectations by miles and miles. Loved it.

And I don't know what kind of drugs people are on saying that the combat was too easy. What difficulty were you playing on? I was on hard and it was.. really goddamned hard in a few places.

dummydecoy

So a friend of mine bought the PS3 and says framerate is jittery outdoors but great when indoors/in caves. NO BUY.

PS4 version please.

I have the weirdest feelings about this game. On the one hand, I feel like it's a well-made nicely balanced action adventure game. The combat is solid. The exploration is a lot of fun particularly in the larger hubs. Looked at as a sort of more-open Uncharted-esque game, it is a good one. And the platforming is better than in that series I think (though clearly that is not nearly good enough for a TR game).

But as a Tomb Raider game, I just feel like it has gotten too far from what I love about the series. The platforming and puzzles have taken a bit of a backseat and more than anything have become way too easy. I think what makes it hurt most is there are so few games like TR. I'm not sure there is a currently running series that scratches the itch it typically does. Last gen Prince of Persia and I suppose Mirror's Edge being the two, but those aren't exactly popping out new entries lately. It was a series focused on challenging platforming and puzzles with combat being a mild distraction at times.

As I go to bed I'm leaning more towards the disappointment for what it's not. I think it particularly bothers me because they easily could have had stuff like the series is known for in place of the setpieces and the game been a much better game. The open hubs, improved combat and gear-gating stuff I think would have added to the game, but then it still would have kept its focus where it was supposed to be while taking the series into a new direction. Again, totally torn on this game now.

This is exactly how I feel now, and what I expect the game to be like when I finally get to play it. Thanks for verbalizing my feelings so well on the matter.

Interesting friend you have there. I really wouldn't be surprised if this isn't a mainstream way of thinking. It's not bad, just not how I'd like things to be, or how things to be designed as.

100% completion. Game makes absolutely no mention of reaching that milestone. Not even a congratulations lol

20h of moderate enjoyment, I don't think I wasted my money. It was a competently made game lacking in any real substance (action/fighting games are my favourite genre). Can't say I gain any real enjoyment from running away from shit falling apart and explosions upon explosions although I will say that I did say "wow" at the grafx on a number of occasions. If I had to throw out a number I'd give it a 7/10, a well made by the numbers game. If I take into account its legacy, how shitty the tombs are and how many dudes I had to fight it'd drop it down significantly but I don't think that's necessary.

Au revoir bloodthirsty psycho Lara

tombraider_2013_03_107dywn.jpg

Sorry

Balboa

I got a new bow acquired message on
shipwreck beach
but I don't appear to have the new bow so I cannot progress with the game, am I missing something here?

Kamaki

Okay it's driving me crazy so I'll turn to you guys. How can you mute your own mic in mutli? I have no idea why devs have open mic.

spekkeh

Banned
Wow this game is a lot bigger than I thought. I finished the
helicopter (lol at get to the chopper)
section yesterday, and figured I was near to the end, just needed to hunt down the main boss. So I sneaked down while the missus was sleeping this morning so I could finish the game without spoilering her. Nope, three hours later still nowhere near the end. Nice. I did miss a few tombs or something I reckon, and there were areas that had a few bits that needed my current upgrades. Could anyone tell me whether you can still go back to these after finishing the game?

StuBurns

Banned
You can go back to do all the extra stuff yeah, either post-ending, or before the final section. Or any other time really, but if you want to do it retrospectively I mean.

Just finished it with 100% (yes just now!) I've been ridiculously busy with work at the moment. Anyway, the game was just awesome. Dat atmosphere and level of polish! Late game spoilers: The fight with
all the samurais
towards the end was good stuff. They're really fun to shoot and the actual openness of the area gave a lot of room for different strategies and made it a fun fight. The last 30 or so minutes were epic too, and the
dual pistols
at the end was such a badass moment! HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG! Lara Croft is back baby! Absolutely can't wait for Tomb Raider 2!

itBvnlUpGTBHx.gif

I don't know if it has been mentioned at all, but in The Final Hours of Tomb Raider, it's written that:

The supporting characters such as Whitman, Alex, Jonah were originally developed for an ambitious co-op mode that would intersect with Lara's main story. Eventually it was scrapped, and the characters were folded into the main game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The one thing I'm disappointed by is the same thing as Anniversary, the music
TR had a fantastic sound track which I was annoyed they removed from Anniversary, I hope the next one goes back to those classic scores

GorillaJu

Does anyone else get motion sickness from this game? In all my years of gaming, I've never once felt motion sickness, but something about the camera movement in this game really gets my head swimming. I can only tolerate about an hour at a time before I have to walk away and straighten out.

Inexplicably, turning on V-Sync tends to help, but yeah. I was so confused about what I was feeling at first, I thought maybe I was reacting to a bunch of coffee I had drank and I wasn't used to that much caffeine. It took me to my third or fourth time loading up the game to realize what it was that was doing this to me.
KuGsj.gif

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Tricky, are there any aspects of the game you think fell flat, could have been better, or didn't give you enough hnnnngggggg?

RyudBoy

Just finished it with 82% completion. The game is way too easy on normal difficulty. Gonna get 100% then try again on hard mode.

I love it when unexpected stuff happens. For example, I was fighting one of those armor guys and he swung at me, so I dodged out of the way and he fell off a cliff while screaming to his death.

Tricky, are there any aspects of the game you think fell flat, could have been better, or didn't give you enough hnnnngggggg?

Sure.....the supporting cast was boring (I did like Sam though). And some of the voice acting was iffy and felt out of place at times.

The story could have been a bit better and sometimes the game was too dark (couldn’t see anything!) That's pretty much it for me.

Balboa

Pretty much confirmed my save game is broken after checking a video walkthrough, so pissed right now.
The part where you
shoot the anchor down and take the item to jonah on shipwreck beach seems to have skipped over completely, the anchor is already gone on my save plus i've already been told i have the new bow but nothing happens at the camp site.
so it's game over I guess.

Cobano

Neo Member
So I just finished the game at 67% and I really liked it. It's impossible for me to not compare it to Uncharted though, platforming, set-pieces and combat were all very much alike. The biggest problem this game has and what I think makes the Uncharted games better are the characters. Lara is basically Drake with none of the humor. I didn't care for any of the other characters like you do for say Sully or Elena, they were all very forgettable.

What I loved was the bow, and the upgradable weapons and skills, and the graphics of course since I played this on my PC. However I didn't expect the game to be so linear coming off the impressions here on GAF.

Overall a very enjoyable experience.

ironcreed

Banned
I love this game so much...It's in my top 10 of this generation. What an awesome blend of everything I wanted from this type of game and
samurai encounters
incredible!

That is the thing with this game. It is not too heavy on any one aspect, but it instead strikes a fine balance of combat, exploration with masterful level design, platforming and even a dose of stealth that feels great and works for what it is. It just plain feels good to play.

I would also like to emphasize how I think the free-form crouch and cover system is a game changer. It is so natural and is flawless in execution. It just makes a scenario feel so much more immersive and look so much more believable. No unnatural sticky cover and clinging to walls/barriers here. Makes systems like that feel like out dated jank.

haldailas

Neo Member

To the point! Exactly as I felt!

spekkeh

Banned
You can go back to do all the extra stuff yeah, either post-ending, or before the final section. Or any other time really, but if you want to do it retrospectively I mean.

Cool thanks. I normally never bother, but this game is really hitting some sweet spots. Or it's because the main campaign is so shooty focused, that going off on a tangent for more puzzle like sidequests is so much fun. As a game with the same theme, I'm definitely enjoying this game a lot more than Far Cry 3. It's still too popcorny to be GOTY material, but the year is off to a great start imo.

spekkeh

Banned
Also I can't believe how wrong I was lol. Her moans don't sound like an out of place porn actress, and in the beginning you do want to protect her, but it's not some male waifu fantasy. In fact she kicks so much strong male butt that it's more of a feminine fantasy.

I don't know about protect, I always insert myself into the role of the the character, at least through the gameplay portions. I can dissociate myself during cutscenes but as I'm playing, it's me doing everything. It would have been interesting to see how to make the player themselves feel hopeless and in need of protection but that sounds too complicated and probably unfun

chogidogs

I'm with Patrick from Giant Bomb on this one, i enjoyed playing it but when you look back at the experience, it wasn't all that special to me. Probably because of them spreading themselves too thin. Nothing really was "meaningful" to me. Like 3 years from now, I won't remember a significant thing this game did.

rvy

Banned
The head to head is up, looks like the ps3 version is the better.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tomb-raider-face-off

The console versions of Tomb Raider are still thoroughly recommended though. Despite some performance issues on both systems when the action is situated in more complex environments, the game manages to stick closely to the desired 30FPS update with only momentary lapses that impact the quality of the gameplay. While the 360 offers up slightly more consistent overall performance, for the most part the difference between the two games isn't significant, and it's also fair to say that the PS3 holds the advantage with regards to image quality and the general refinement of the overall presentation. This is a game where much of the experience is built around the spectacle and in that respect, PS3 offers an advantage of its 360 sibling. Aside from various instances where performance is visibly lower, the gameplay is otherwise just as enjoyable on Sony's system, and the sharper visuals better suit the overall feel of the game, highlighting the richness of the environments without as many unwanted side-effects. In that respect the PS3 version gets our recommendation as the preferred choice of the two console releases.

Pick your poison, performance or IQ.

Top Bottom