• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

madmackem

Pick your poison, performance or IQ.

Not really though, they say the ps3 version and 360 version are pretty much the same on performance there is no doubt the ps3 holds the IQ and overall look. I finished it on 360 and it was a very good looking game but i wish i had got it on ps3 those screens look alot better.

Eideka

Banned
PS3 ports seem to be doing better lately.

Wow at this pic. When the hair tech works it looks insane

The recent patch has dramatically improved how TressFX looks in motion, definitely an excellent addition to the PC version.

I hope we will see a similar technology on next-gen games.

nib95

Banned

Overall the performance looks pretty solid though. Maintaining 30fps the majority of the time. Very quick and sudden drops in the hectic moments when it does drop a few frames, but I doubt it'd be very noticeable, since usually it's only for a split second or two. In these moments the 360 usually benefits from a 2fps advantage, if that. I think the IQ differences are well worth it here, as even Digital Foundry concluded.

Okay, finished it a little while ago. Here are some general impressions:

Positives
-Incredible atmosphere. Great audio work and environment design
-This game's controls are some of the best in any game
-Lara is an interesting character (aside from disconnect between in game and story)
-There's a healthy mix of combat and exploration, with a few exceptions
-Even though the platforming is simple, it's interesting enough for the same reason Uncharted's is (mainly setpieces)

Negatives
-The story is really bad, for reasons already mentioned
-The supporting cast is abysmal; there's very little backstory. I don't give a damn about what fat Vaas does because I only know him as a cook. Same goes for the sassy mechanic, the techy dude, and the rest of the side characters.
-Lara's transformation from weak archaeologist to hardened destroyer of worlds needed to be address more in the story. I mean good lord, I'm fucking mercs up with a
shotgun with dragon's breath rounds
. Where did she suddenly acquire marksmanship skills? Maybe she knew how to wield weapons before? Who knows, nothing is explained. Total disconnect between the story and what happens in game, for the most part
-Multiplayer is shit mountain
-Not nearly enough puzzles, and the ones that are present are mind-numbingly easy
-There are a few sections with far too much combat

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. It's basically a more open Uncharted. I'm a frugal person, so I don't know if I could recommend a $60 purchase (as there is little to no replay value). Still, this was a blast, and I wholeheartedly anticipate a sequel. To continue with Uncharted comparisons, I'd say this is where the game as a whole lies:

Uncharted 2>Tomb Raider>>>>>>>>>>Uncharted>Uncharted 3

I have a handful of issues with the game, but they are most definitely outweighed by the positives. I suppose if I had to give a number (using the whole scale), it'd be something like 8.5.
Gotta say you pretty much nailed it. I'm uploading a video review of it and I had all the same points more or less. There is some real quality to be had in the game, but it's buried under the pile of shit you have to go through first and the bad outweigh the good in my mind.
Admittedly I haven't even touched MP yet, and I never will. I know exactly how much I will hate it
Overall it's a great game but it falls short a lot and isn't the game it could be or wants to be.

scitek

Gotta say you pretty much nailed it. I'm uploading a video review of it and I had all the same points more or less. There is some real quality to be had in the game, but it's buried under the pile of shit you have to go through first and the bad outweigh the good in my mind.
Admittedly I haven't even touched MP yet, and I never will. I know exactly how much I will hate it
Overall it's a great game but it falls short a lot and isn't the game it could be or wants to be.

This is dumb, and quit double posting.

I'm hoping the next drivers from Nvidia help, but I'm still getting some bugs when trying to take some screens.

ironcreed

Banned
Normally I'm indifferent to his reviews, but this one just screams gushing and hyperbole. Maybe I just haven't watched a lot of his reviews fully, but damn, this is IGN territory of gushing :|

Or maybe he just thinks it's a great game, like many others do? It's been received pretty damn well so far, so it's not like his praise and score of 9.0 is an exaggeration from the average.

Dahbomb

Normally I'm indifferent to his reviews, but this one just screams gushing and hyperbole. Maybe I just haven't watched a lot of his reviews fully, but damn, this is IGN territory of gushing :|
After going off on Aliens: CM, anything is going to look godly in comparison.

Also the PC hair tech looks way better in stills than it does in motion. It's exaggerated as hell and it is distracting at time. Still though it's a substantial leap over previous gen hair.

Just got to
the Beach.
Definitely one of my favorite environments so far. Some really gorgeous art direction here.

Also the PC hair tech looks way better in stills than it does in motion. It's exaggerated as hell and it is distracting at time. Still though it's a substantial leap over previous gen hair.

Yeah its really impressive but it killing my performance. I had to drop it off.

Nice. Good to see them come to the same conclusion about Uncharted.

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, long, enthusiastic (and hilarious) reviews in either direction is just Joe's style. If he loves a game, he shows it and explains why. On the flip side, he absolutely destroys a game if he hates it.

This is dumb, and quit double posting.

I'm hoping the next drivers from Nvidia help, but I'm still getting some bugs when trying to take some screens.

Sorry bout the double post. And It's not that dumb. Once you play the single player to completion and see footage of the MP, you know how it will play. And from all the negatives I've heard people say about (not getting good stuff till lvl 10) it sounds like I really wouldn't enjoy it.
Then again I bought the game for SP alone anyway, I don't need another MP game in my rotation.

Better hair than Alice? That's my standard for hair physics in games. The hair in the console version of TR is pretty much a joke, but the PC version with the added tech looks incredibly impressive.

plMEwQp.gif

761uyB5.gif

Eideka

Banned
Nice. Good to see them come to the same conclusion about Uncharted.

There weren't any doubt Uncharted 3 looks better than Tomb Raider....On consoles. ;)
But that's just me perhaps.

I stand by my comment regarding the PC build : it's just superb and Nixxes deserve a lot of praise for it. I hope they will continue to handle the majority of Square Enix PC offerings.

There weren't any doubt Uncharted 3 looks better than Tomb Raider....On consoles. ;)
But that's just me perhaps.

I stand by my comment regarding the PC build : it's just superb and Nixxes deserve a lot of praise for it. I hope they will continue to handle the majority of Square Enix PC offerings.

I think the art is superb. The tech is lacking.

Better hair than Alice? That's my standard for hair physics in games. The hair in the console version of TR is pretty much a joke, but the PC version with the added tech looks incredibly impressive.

In stills, the PC hair tech looks like an actual head of hair. A fantastically shampooed head of hair but still. The Alice hair is a lot simpler and doesn't freak out nearly as badly

omonimo

Banned
So basically you said some slight performance edges in the shooter sequence it's worth for this:
tomb.png

Seriously, the use of post AA on 360 it's just terrible, I think it's more notable a bad IQ than some fps advantage here & there. imho

On PC I don't think so. It could be even better but I'm okay with how the game looks, the tessellation is very well used, subtle yet effective.

Next-gen I hope Lara will look like this :
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tomb-raider/model-renders-01.html

Oh man definitely that would look amazing.

You didn't think the water, fire effects, low res textures, low polygon environments seemed to be lacking at times?

Like I said the game looks its best at night when a lot of the issues are masked. I also love the art direction.

Manp

framerate is definitely an issue in the first part of the game on PS3, the level with the huge fire was a mess. framerate tanked and controls became sluggish and unresponsive.
happens in other areas but it's never as bad and frankly it's barely noticeable.

:)

Beat the game the other day and overall really enjoyed it. I really wasn't expecting it to be that great. Some of those set pieces were incredible. It was kind of heavy on the combat towards the end, but I suppose tomb raider has always focused a nice chunk on combat. I loved the tombs and wish that they were expanded upon a little more. Though I can see them maybe taking away from the overall narrative if they were bigger. (Lara go save your injured friends, one sec while I go through this tomb). There seems to be some large chunks of the island that are still blank, maybe there will be DLC or something in the future that will add more tombs.

I'm really happy I played the game. $35 for the PC version was a steal. I would gladly pay full price for the next game Crystal puts out.

omonimo

Banned
I think the art is superb. The tech is lacking.

I don't know about pc, but tech wise on console is an impressive achievement. Lately a lot of third parties production tech wise are extraordinaries, like Hitman or AC 3 (bug a part). I don't find uncharted 3 that untouchable (shader a part), tomb raider has nothing to envy from ND work in my point of views. To be honest, I found a lot of third parties game lately more impressive than first parties tech in the same ps3. First parties on ps3 use a lot of trick like low buffer (ND too), where third parties are able to do things with ps3 where they haven't even tried.

Lima

Might rent the PS3 version to check it out but I could swear that the game never looked that bad on the 360 like in the screen above.

Eideka

Banned
Oh man definitely that would look amazing.
We can hope that the assets created by Virtual Works can be used in game on the PS4/720. The "Turning Point" trailer is what I expect the next-gen TR to look like, or at least very close.

You didn't think the water, fire effects, low res textures, low polygon environments seemed to be lacking at times?
Agreed on the fire effects which are sub par even on PC, as I said we are not facing a next-gen game, it's still deeply rooted in console tech.
But the texture work is amazing and the DX11 effects are well done (Bokeh, tessellation, HDAO), that's enough for me. I don't demand a completely overhauled PC version which couldn't recoup its costs anyway.

Like I said the game looks its best at night when a lot of the issues are masked. I also love the art direction.
They nailed this aspect for sure.

In stills, the PC hair tech looks like an actual head of hair. A fantastically shampooed hair but still. The Alice hair is a lot simpler and doesn't freak out nearly as badly

Yeah, I saw the comments about the performance hit after my post. Hopefully they'll be able to refine the tech and we'll see a more stable version it in future games.

bryanee

Does the game pause like a mother fucker on the 360 whenever you unlock an achievement for anyone other than me? Quite annoying.

I'm just making my way through the shanty town stuff. I heard it was annoying with the wave after wave of enemies and well they're aren't that many waves for it to be annoying.

omonimo

Banned
Might rent the PS3 version to check it out but I could swear that the game never looked that bad on the 360 like in the screen above.

With regards to image quality Tomb Raider renders natively in 720 on both consoles, but it's clear that the presentation on the 360 isn't always quite as sharp and striking as its PS3 and PC counterparts. Images appear softer on the platform with the intricate artwork smoothed over to a higher degree, while shadow detail appears to be crushed in amongst the darkness. The use of different post-process anti-aliasing implementations between platforms appears to be the cause, along with a very low gamma set-up on the 360 that often creates dim images without some serious adjustment.

The PS3 presentation features sharp and smoothly defined edges and texture quality never takes a hit to any noticeable degree, with fine details coming through unscathed on small objects situated far from the camera. Lara's world appears pristine despite featuring plenty of run-down gritty locations. It's a stark contrast compared to the sometimes murkier look of the 360 game, where a stronger edge-detection algorithm smooths over the more subtle aspects of the artwork as it does the jaggies. In brighter, higher contrast environments, the levels of detail are similar on both consoles and the blur on 360 is lifted. Due to the use of a lower gamma set-up, the darker image of the 360 game has the effect of accentuating the blurring properties of the post-AA in some scenes.

It seems quite valid, DF mentioned this before any others aspects in the article, but of course, we can live with that.

PerZona

The graphics are incredible for the PC version, ran on ultra and it's just stunning. Too bad I can't max out the quality of the hair.

So far the game is pretty good and totally reminds me of Uncharted, which is good! But the storyline are much darker and the characters aren't as good as Uncharted. Although I would prefer a change of dark storyline in a treasure hunting game.

Eideka

Banned
Especially the fire from torches. Looks bad on consoles but even more out of place on the PC.

I don't think it looks any worse on PC, just that it could have been improved but so could have many elements in the game.
Unsurprisingly they had to find a balance between profitability and PC standards and I think they did really well, it's a lovely looking game on every platform and the PC version does not disappoint me save for those few crashes with tessellation enabled.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just finished the game, with 84% completion. It gets 9.5/10 from me, I cant wait to replay it in 3D one day. Fantastic reboot, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos really have nice foundation for the even more awesome sequel.

Two names I found interesting in end credits, voices for random Solari soldiers: Liam O'Brien and Vladimir Kulich.

So basically you said some slight performance edges in the shooter sequence it's worth for this:
tomb.png

Seriously, the use of post AA on 360 it's just terrible, I think it's more notable a bad IQ than some fps advantage here & there. imho

No way in hell my 360 version looks like the one shown on the left. No way.

Shady859

I'm only like 15% in after first night of playing but i'm enjoying it alot so far. Looking forward to knocking out a big chunk more later tonight. Tried the MP and thought it was horrible, i'm a CoD and BF guy though... Stuttered alot as well online but that was probably the host I assume.

I went with 360 version played on evo monitor and it's pretty as can be. Those screens side by side though paint a different picture.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Just finished the game.

I thought the pacing stood out as especially well handled. And even though the story might of been mediocre, it's definitely better than
what most AAA games offer. My biggest issues with the game came down to its idiot proof puzzles, which feel completely tacked on, and
QTE's. Though there were some instances of semi platforming slash qte events that I thought were great. Like the part where
Lara is
dropping from zipline to zipline and finally onto a the mountain face or traveling down stream shooting targets out of the way
. Moments
like that, where there are no indicators on the screen, felt much more natural than the mash Y or X moments littered throughout.

Overall I liked the game, Lara controlled well and with the difficulty cranked up, gunplay was decent.

I think the uncharted games are a million times more charming

Bladenic

Played up to
Shantytown.
Still having an amazing time. Some really awesome environments and moments thus far. Is the area I'm in the 50% mark?

Also minor spoiler but I loled at the fact that
they don't show how Lara gets down from the top of the radio tower.

And what's this I'm seeing about playing as Zachary Levi in multiplayer? That'd be awesome.

Probably DF has managed their tools to give to the ps3 a better appearance. I know them.

Your kidding right?

On a side note does anyone find your one stealth move to be really unsatisfying? I also don't think in any way does a climbing axe in the side of your back lead to you dying silently.

Played up to
Shantytown.
Still having an amazing time. Some really awesome environments and moments thus far. Is the area I'm in the 50% mark?

Also minor spoiler but I loled at the fact that
they don't show how Lara gets down from the top of the radio tower.

And what's this I'm seeing about playing as Zachary Levi in multiplayer? That'd be awesome.

I loathe
shantytown
with the fire of a thousand suns. Thankfully it returns to its former pace about 2 hours after you get to that spot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
framerate is definitely an issue in the first part of the game on PS3, the level with the huge fire was a mess. framerate tanked and controls became sluggish and unresponsive.
happens in other areas but it's never as bad and frankly it's barely noticeable.

:)
framerate is random right, cuz I'm always confused when people mention framerates drops yet I hardly notice them, unless I do notice but are looking for something else because people tend to exaggerate or imagine it because they heard it does, not you but people in general.

Why is Lara cracking?
also, TressFX is Lara exclusive in the game I take it.

h3ro

So I was lucky enough to be gifted a copy of the Final Hours edition of the game on 360 (the one from Amazon with the artbook) by a friend. He forwarded me a code from Amazon that has to be redeemed through the TR website but since neither he or I ever registered an email with the site from his preorder, I have no way of logging in to redeem the scavenger DLC code.

Anyone know how I can go about getting the content from the code I have?

Bladenic

Your kidding right?

On a side note does anyone find your one stealth move to be really unsatisfying? I also don't think in any way does a climbing axe in the side of your back lead to you dying silently.

I loathe
shantytown
with the fire of a thousand suns. Thankfully it returns to its former pace about 2 hours after you get to that spot.

That first major fight got me killed a few times haha. It was def the first large scale fight so far.

Also the more I think about it the more jarring regenerating health is. Big misstep there for this whole "survival" theme lmao. Not a huge deal though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No way in hell my 360 version looks like the one shown on the left. No way.

Same, just not understanding what is going in with these comparisons. My 360 copy looks way better than these screen caps. If anything it sounds like you can't go wrong on either platform, my 360 copy looks incredible.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The PS3 version looks better then that screen also, but its compressed so that probably whats making it look worse,still you seen the 360 version so you'll get general idea of the differences

Readvacancy

Neo Member
Just finished the game 100% and had an absolute blast. There definitely were a few things that could have been better like the puzzles and progression system. I really liked the lack of a HUD and though a bit heavy on the QTEs I wasn't bothered by it. The combat felt really solid too. I really hope they do a sequel with more survival elements and harder puzzles.

Pachimari

Just started it today and I haven't been this captivated by a game in a long while. How can I see my progress? I see there's a percent but that's for how much I have upgraded my skills and weapons.

It's one of my favorite Tomb Raider's yet but I have always been asking for one like this.

Zeth

I really like the game. But some of the puzzles are so bad. In almost every case, I end up over-thinking them. I've probably done so on every puzzle/tomb so far, lol. Even when I go in trying not to over-think anything, some are just weird.

Top Bottom