• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Trey

Only truly lethal enemies are the AR dudes. They will mow you down if they get sights on you, which only happens if you overreach or let a melee dude flush you out of cover.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK I love the multiplayer but whoever thought it was a good idea to make you have to prestige three times to get one of the trophies is an idiot. I don't like the number of multiplayer trophies in general.

Only truly lethal enemies are the AR dudes. They will mow you down if they get sights on you, which only happens if you overreach or let a melee dude flush you out of cover.

Those are always the first guys I kill. Then I toy with the melee enemies by dodge-countering them to death.

The Lamp

It's hilarious to me how much of gaf is probably eating crow right about now. Sure the game has flaws and is missing a few things it could have used, but its not the atrocity some people prophesied lol.

So far I find that even if I'm backed into a corner without cover with 3 dudes on me, I can scoot around for as long is necessary to fully regen before returning to actually fighting.

It's cheese and I don't expect it to work for everything, but it is what it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yea anyone saying they beat the game by staying in cover all day were either playing on Easy/Normal or got the fully upgraded AR very early in the game. I call BS on that big time.

Or they had a mouse for aiming? I got probably like 60% headshots in this game using mostly the pistol or the assault rifle.

Superflat

Beat it the first time with around 75% completion when it came out, and now playing through it again on and off through the week. Realized I didn't put my two cents about it in the thread (not that you asked for it) :p

It was a fun diversion! Not something that really tests my skills, but it was well made all around. They made what they set out to do, which is combining Uncharted and Batman Arkham game elements. The TPS mechanics were solid. The bow was super satisfying to use, and I opted to use it 90% of the time. Something about holding down the fire button and letting it go at maximum tension and the sound of the bow itself-- mmmmm.

The automatic cover suited this game well since the waist-high barricades were normally sort of isolated from each other so there were almost no chances for the game to fumble getting you into odd cover situations. For at least the first half of the game I was able to engage in combat ignoring the cover completely lol. After I died once or twice in the same area I started utilizing them more (as well as consider more weapons than just the bow). By the last quarter I was using almost every weapon and taking cover consistently.

The combat is nowhere near as crazy as Uncharted's, but it was competent. Lara's (sorta slow) run/jog keeps the combat at a pretty steady pace compared to Uncharted's frantic jumping and platforming while taking down enemies. Going between a few pieces of cover and strafing while unleashing my fire arrows did the trick 90% of the time. Uncharted's firefight arenas were a lot bigger and gave more options/variety than Tomb Raider's. Traversal and exploration definitely goes to Tomb Raider though, hands down. Seamless transitions and plenty of hidden areas created a really open feeling.

Animation is better than a lot of games out there but still has a few glaring hiccups. The weapon equipping animation and when she's finding treasure is particularly bad. The characterization of Lara was fine but the supporting characters looked like they were taken straight out of a b-tier horror movie from the 90's, and acted like it too.

I really enjoyed it overall though. And the music was surprisingly excellent.

sdornan

Enjoying the game despite its obvious similarities to the Uncharted series. Definitely some story and gameplay tone inconsistencies though - "Aww, I killed a deer", "Killer stealth axe!"

I'm listening to Camilla Luddington's Nerdist interview and she's got such a confusing accent. Glad it didn't jump all over in the game like it does in real life.

I barely used the AR. It was all about the pistol for headshots

Once I got the silencer upgrade I stopped using the bow too

Scope + silenced rifle was where it was at for me. Once I unlocked that combo Lara became death incarnate for anybody who poked their head out even a milimeter.

calder

I just finished the game at 98% and I used the bow for almost the entire game. Rarely used a gun except to open barriers or out of bow boredom. Bowdom. Like how 40 hours in to Skyrim my bowdom got so bad I had to leave my bow at home and force myself to use a sword like a chump for a while.

xenist

I did not expect to like the combat as much as I did.

I had a lot of fun with this. Fun enough to make me finish it over a weekend with an 80% completion. Usage of cover was great. Very organic. I hate sticky cover with a passion. The guns felt satisfying and the upgrade system felt substantial and meaningfull. It always adressed my needs when it came to the guns anyway. As a base for further games it is great. Make exploration more important instead of combat and they will have a classic.

Actually instead of reading my nonsense check out Florence's piece.

People saying the game was easy on hard are smoking crack, trolling, or playing with keyboard/mouse. I beat all 3 Uncharteds on Crushing so im pretty sure im not terrible, and this game was not easy on Hard. The AI could have been a little smarter, but there were definitely encounters i had to try 10+ times and wasnt sure if i was going to be able to beat at all without turning down the difficulty

You have beaten all the UC games on crushing and had a hard time with this game? My brain cant reconcile that

If we're talking mechanics then it's closer to what I scored it, a 3 or 4. As I've already explained several times there's not a gameplay mechanic in this game that is fleshed out from its most basic form.
The only fleshed out system in this game is the weapon upgrades. Its pretty unnecessary, but it works. The XP/skill system is extraneous though.

As a cinematic shooter its an 9/10 as it actually advances that formula by adding more variety, but the high points are mostly due to production values and polish. As a Tomb Raider game its a 4/10 because the tomb raiding itself is as bare bones as you could possibly get. but the environments beg to be explored. They got that part right on.

It's extremely slick. Sure Army of Two did it 5 years ago, but that game sucked, who gives a shit.
It didn't suck, but it hasn't aged well or advanced with the times. And there's something to be said for automatic cover that you have more control over. It works on its own terms, whereas the Tomb Raider version you have to have faith in it working. But it does work just fine 90% of the time. I'd still prefer a duck/cover button though, as the auto-cover isn't always activated and it only takes affect near specific cover locations. If you could duck anywhere you could use more of the environment for cover.

You have beaten all the UC games on crushing and had a hard time with this game? My brain cant reconcile that
Yeah, this I don't understand. The very first combat encounter (after the boat tutorial) in Uncharted 1 is harder than the finale in this game.

Superflat

I am enjoying this way, way more than any Uncharted game, that's for sure.

You must like your hand being gently held, and tank tops

Eff that raggedy tank top. I played through the entire game with the aviatrix. Playing in style (and less weird elbows).

BkjOV3W.jpg

The only fleshed out system in this game is the weapon upgrades. Its pretty unnecessary, but it works. The XP/skill system is extraneous though.

As a cinematic shooter its an 9/10 as it actually advances that formula by adding more variety, but the high points are mostly due to production values and polish. As a Tomb Raider game its a 4/10 because the tomb raiding itself is as bare bones as you could possibly get. but the environments beg to be explored. They got that part right on.

The level design is pretty much perfect. Especially the beach.

That outfit is bad ass

What do people think of Rab Florence's piece on Tomb Raider:

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/post/44702546202/on-lara-croft

Come on, man

This brilliantly written game (and I never expected to write those words) has given gaming one of its most grown-up characters, but it had to do it by stealth. Rhianna Pratchett sneaked something important past the industry’s dinosaur gatekeepers.

The brilliance of this new Tomb Raider is that it kills the whole gender debate over Lara Croft stone dead. I said that she once meant different things to different people. Now I think she might represent one thing to everyone – a step forward in characterisation within videogames. She’s not a female icon. Not a male pin-up. She’s an evolutionary milestone. Lara Croft genuinely matters now.

Really? I don't think I'm particularly cynical and I can appreciate novels and movies even if I don't find them entertaining but this is an incredible, well realized narrative? I don't know what to say, standards must be incredibly low

Bladenic

I def. hope there's a clothing system in the sequel. Or just give us a lot of costumes like the older games instead of DLC only.

Quick question regarding women on the island.
What was the explanation for why all the women were sacrifices?

Also LTTP but the Conan video of him playing this game had me dying.

Dead

well not really...yet
I def. hope there's a clothing system in the sequel. Or just give us a lot of costumes like the older games instead of DLC only.

Also LTTP but the Conan video of him playing this game had me dying.
Its explained in the
Monestary in a room where Lara sees a series of paintings that show the (IIRC) the processof succession for the Sun Queen

RedAssedApe

Banned
Loving this game. Nicely paced. Don't think it'll have any replay value for me though. Then again most games don't if I don't get invested in the multiplayer. I don't know how you guys find all the time to do multiple play throughs man. I'm usually one and done with these type of games.

Are you guys all millionaires with a ton of free time or just awesome at time management? lol

Replicant

Well, there's more to that and depends on the context. SPOILER
The women must be Japanese descendant of Himiko, the Sun Queen. They are needed to transfer Himiko's soul into their body. See, in order to cheat death, Himiko basically set herself on fire so her soul remains in her body until she can transfer it to her successor. You can find this all in the documents.

If you're asking
Why is it women and not men, however, well I assume because this is Japan and it's a male patriarchal society then and even now.

Bladenic

Well, there's more to that and depends on the context. SPOILER
The women must be Japanese descendant of Himiko, the Sun Queen. They are needed to transfer Himiko's soul into their body. See, in order to cheat death, Himiko basically set herself on fire so her soul remains in her body until she can transfer it to her successor. You can find this all in the documents.

If you're asking
Why is it women and not men, however, well I assume because this is Japan and it's a male patriarchal society then and even now.

Oh okay. I just forgot the explanation, is all. The monastery one too.

Anyone else find it amusing that
all of the problems the villain has could have been solved if he just killed everyone when he had such numerous chances? Most notably, they capture Lara mid-game and instead of killing her, they once again tie her up with a bunch of dead bodies. Alive.
I guess it's stuff in every single game, but I found it particularly amusing here.

Replicant

Oh okay. I just forgot the explanation, is all. The monastery one too.

Anyone else find it amusing that
all of the problems the villain has could have been solved if he just killed everyone when he had such numerous chances? Most notably, they capture Lara mid-game and instead of killing her, they once again tie her up with a bunch of dead bodies. Alive.
I guess it's stuff in every single game, but I found it particularly amusing here.

On that note, are we supposed to get the impression that
The Solarii have turned into Cannibalism to support their life? Otherwise, why are the bones of the dead look like the meats have been skinned off it? That's why there's some leftover meats dangling off it? I mean I don't see why they should considering there are some wildlife but maybe the meat is not juicy enough for them? /morbid

Superflat

This game could have used a new game plus. I'd like to play through with my upgraded equipment and current collectible stats on a harder difficulty or something... or a chapter system like Uncharted, item continuity be damned.

Bladenic

On that note, are we supposed to get the impression that
The Solarii have turned into Cannibalism to support their life? Otherwise, why are the bones of the dead look like the meats have been skinned off it? That's why there's some leftover meats dangling off it? I mean I don't see why they should considering there are some wildlife but maybe the meat is not juicy enough for them? /morbid

Yeah I felt there was a huge disconnect between how they were actually represented and the implications for how they acted. Perhaps
all the dead half eaten zombies were the work of the cannibals held in the caves in cages? I don't know. But then I think in one document they say that everyone is put in caves for days or weeks with no food so I assume they eat each other before they get out.

I am almost at the end and while I didnt really dislike the game during the time I was playing it I am now struggling to think of a single thing I actually like about it. Except the graphics.

The combat is dull, the AI is stuck between either always rushing you or just sitting behind the same cover forever. The platforming might not be automated but there is no challenge or rhythm required in it, its about as hard as walking. The main campaign has no puzzles and the 4 optional tombs I have done so far have had embarrassingly simple puzzles. There is no sense of discovery or isolation, there are always people around you or people shooting at you. The story is bland and none of the characters memorable. Same for the dialogue writing.

The only slight positive I can think of is that the exploration can be kinda fun when you get a new item but thats about it.

I still dont think its a bad game. There is nothing broken or outright offensive about it. But there isnt anything it does exceptionally well either.

Underworld had its flaws (most of them to do with the terrible combat) but this one actually makes me appreciate that game a lot more than I initially did.

Finished it last night with 99% on my file, couldn't be bothered with a few of the challenges (collect 5 chicken eggs) so I'm happy with that. Anyway,what a game! Honestly so blown away by it, I felt it was going to be good, but it was just a terrific experience. Felt like Uncharted with Arkham Asylums openness and a similar level of Metroidvania. Pretty much only two gripes

1) After the ending, felt ike they should have just kept hold of one of their big setpieces from earlier and used it there. The ending is very reserved purely in comparison to what they just spent throwing at you for the whole game, and it made me wonder why ,if that was all the setpieces they had time to design, why not put one of them at the end instead? Also a teaser of what's next would have been nice
it's not like they don't have ideas with the gps stuff

2) So point 1, that really is minor, I want a good ending but as long as the gameplay is there, then the game is good to me. Imo, the one major flub is
the Oni! I guess after the leak years ago with the japanese demon like monsters, and the way they build up the oni for ages without really seeing them, I expected more. Instead they are effectively reskinned enemies and brought nothing new to the table gameplay wise. I actually really liked the enemy AI in this, and I was hoping for just half an hour/an hour at the end with a new enemy type to face that were real vicious or whatever, and pushed you hard. A return to one of the open areas in the dark ansd raining, where you have to hide from them etc would have been awesome. Would have been an excuse to use the explosive arrows etc. if things got real bad
Since that's a gameplay thing, I would consider it one major point lost against the game, but still, I think the game is brilliant, I think it will end up a classic in my mind, and can't wait to see what is next.

Manp

this was probably answered before but can i complete challenges and collectibles after the game's end? is there some sort of new game+?

tnx :)

Vahagn

Yea this game is really fun. Finished it on normal with 82% and am going back to play it on hard. Overall it's an incredible game, really very fun to play, very interesting and captivating story for me because of the historical/metaphysical elements (I was a Religious Studies major - Spiritual elements in games get me all geeked out).

A few thoughts:

1) I wish they made the exploration for side items and treasure more like they do in the assassin's creed series. Not as enjoyable searching for stuff or even hunting for animals as AC3 was.

2) Why did SPOILER
Mathias basically wait until Laura caught up with what's going on before he tried to do the soul swap ritual with Sam? Midway through the game they tried to burn Sam, the winds stopped it, and instead of moving immediately to do the soul swap ceremony he basically waits for no apparent reason till the end. They should have put something in the story to explain why he needed to wait.

3) I wish you got to use all the awesome upgraded weaponry and fighting/melee skills far more than you actually did. Although I guess being all stealth with the bow is really fun too (yet another thing AC3 did better).

4) The Tomb exploration was really quite lame. Basically crawl through the dark and then do a quick puzzle. And you don't get anything of value at the end. This is a Tomb Raider game, should have more relevancy with the tombs. As compared to AC Revelations or even AC2 - the assassin tomb explorations there were a hundred times more fun.

5) The scenes where shit was falling apart around you as you are trying to survive was just awesome. Gameplay wise it was easy and it made the focus on the presentation even better. I didn't have to focus on some impossibly hard jump or timing issue and could enjoy the graphics and presentation of how well they pulled those scenes off.

Overall I loved playing through it. For a "first" game, it was incredible. Lara's character Arc was awesome. At first she's unsure of herself but once the gravity of the situation sinks in and she realizes she's the best hope the crew have of surviving she essentially daringly goes into things with the confidence that she'll pull it off. As you can tell I love The AC series and one of my favorite things about Altair/Ezio/Conner is their supreme confidence in themselves. Lara started to develop that towards the end which i loved. They've essentially guaranteed i buy the sequal.

this was probably answered before but can i complete challenges and collectibles after the game's end? is there some sort of new game+?

tnx :)

You can continue after the ending to hoard collectibles. The island is a lot less populated too

Why can't they add New Game Plus ?

It would make the game beyond trivial. Sucks that there isn't NG+ because it'll probably take everyone until after finishing the game to complete all the weapons

Riddy

Sorry for chiming in so late, but just wanted to say that this is the best action game to come out since Resident Evil 4 and I sincerely hope you all go out and buy it :)

Top Bottom