• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Manp

You can continue after the ending to hoard collectibles. The island is a lot less populated too

tnx

It would make the game beyond trivial. Sucks that there isn't NG+ because it'll probably take everyone until after finishing the game to complete all the weapons

thinking about it, some areas of the map that you visit later in the game are unaccessible until you get certain power ups. giving you everything from the start would likely break the game progression.

:)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I always thought that the argument for there being no NG+ because it would break the game was stupid. You have to beat the game in the first place in order to play a NG+ game so you've already played it the way it was meant to be played. Who cares if the second time you play it you choose to play a "broken" version of it instead of playing the exact same way again?

wouwie

Finished the game yesterday. The game left me with mixed emotions. In the end, i would give it a 7/10.

Some thoughts:
+ impressive graphics engine that runs quite well on consoles (ps3 in my case)
+ lots of great visual effects make the world come alive (weather, fire, dust, fog, day/night, particles,...)
+ awesome atmosphere
+ great sound design
+ really good controls and camera
+ production values
+ great weapons, especially the bow
+ great game genre (3rd person action/adventure)
+ exploration
+ solid game length

- framerate was a tad too low sometimes
- traversal was only there to go from point A to B (no challenge or skill involved)
- forgettable cast of characters
- so so story
- way too many setpieces and QTE sections
- shoot-outs had little room for tactics or stealth (small spaces and AI immediately alerted) and weren't that fun
- flat AI
- the L2 "see all" button
- hand holding throughout the game (hints, "secret tombs", L2 button)
- game was easy (played on normal)
- wanted more gameplay and less interactive cinema
- weapon and skill upgrades did not seem to have a big effect on gameplay

I felt that the game had a lot of potential though and i'd love to see a sequel. Crystal Dynamics has a great engine in place (both graphically and control wise). If they can focus a bit more on gameplay and less on the cinematic angle, i feel that they could create an awesome game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Um wtf is this a glitch or am i missing something obvious?
Right after you get the rope ascender, what's supposed to happen? I use the ascender on the crate thing, mash sqaure, but the crane rips off and the crate stays in the same place.

You can go past that bug. Just walk on the edge of the door slowly until you get Lara into falling animation. I suggest that you equip and aim with the bow, because then you will walk much slower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJ1htML6As

Facism

There's like 2 other people playing online in my region. Guess i can wait till later tonight for multiplayer on PC.

Fabrik

Banned
After finishing it at a 69% completion rate, here are my final impressions:

+ One of the most impressive engine on PS3/Xbox 360. Fantastic lighting, huge areas and draw distance, superb animations, impressive special effects, fire, water, wind. Everything is beautifully made. It matches the fantastic concept art in the Bonus section.

+ The best playable Tomb Raider ever. Finally, Lara controls amazingly well. The controls are fluid and precise. It's fantastic to just jump from buildings to buildings plus it's not automated like Assassin's Creed. Lara now rivals Mario.

+ The sound design is phenomenal. The ambiant sounds really add to the atmosphere. The weapons sounds really good. The French voice work, particularly Lara, has a lot of personality and subtlety.

+ The island. It's the second star of the game after Lara. Full of different locales. As good as Resident Evil 4 various settings but seamless. A huge feat and an amazing level design achievement.

+ The pacing. Pretty much perfect. Perfect campaign duration.

+ The optional tombs. As easy as they were, discovering a huge cavern with golden ancient statues was an awesome feeling.

- The optional tombs. Too few of them, way too simple. No multi-rooms puzzles. The chests should have contained rare treasures like on the regular map. No ha ha moments. The game doesn't make you feel clever. "Intellectual Superiority" achievement is a joke.

- Too obvious level design elements like the climbable walls with white paint. The designers don't trust players intelligence (Maybe they're right) and I felt a bit insulted. The Survival Instinct vision should have allowed to design less obvious paths.

- No metroidvania exploration is a missed opportunity. With all the tools you unlock, it was a perfect fit. The island is not 100% interconnected. The fast travel is a nice option but I should be able to access areas from multiple routes. The end game suffers as a result.

- The temple of explosions and
the army of samurais
were a bit much in terms of combat and were completely ridiculous, boring and completely predictable.

- Too many enemies on this "deserted" island and not nearly varied enough. Not enough menacing wild animals. Encounters should have been rarer and more memorable.

- Too many useless collectables. Only the treasures, the hidden tombs and journals are rewarding and worth searching.

- The upgrade system is useless and doesn't bring anything worthwhile. Only new tools with new gameplay possibilities give you a feeling of character progression, not new finishing moves.

It's still the best game I've played so far in 2013. I give it a 8/10. But I hope the next Tomb Raider will be more clever, with a lot more puzzles, more unique gears and cool tools. Hint: copy The Legend Of Zelda more in terms of dungeons.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I agree too many enemies for such a deserted island too. Still, I guess I'm able to suspend my disbelief if I can swallow the same in Uncharted

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking the same thing actually. I beat Underworld and really liked it years ago, never beat Legend or played Anniversary though.

Underworld is supposedly the weakest of the three. I beat Legend when it first came out and I loved it. I loved the way they set up the Croft Manor too, as you progressed through the campaign you unlocked different rooms in the manor with their own puzzles.

I want a Croft Manor in the next game.

You can go past that bug. Just walk on the edge of the door slowly until you get Lara into falling animation. I suggest that you equip and aim with the bow, because then you will walk much slower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJ1htML6As

That was fucked up. Happened to me, and I honestly thought my game was done. There was no way I was playing all the way through again ha. I did have a bug or two otherwise on the 360 too.

Dr Dogg

I know a lot of games get picked on and called out for being brown but this is the brownest game I've ever played. It's like someones messed with the colour setting on my tv at times. Fingers crossed there's some colour on the island and you get deeper in.

phaze

Just finished it. It's not a bad game by any stretch, on the other hand it never really goes beyond "good" and "competent". There were some great locales though. The game was also too easy on hard.

Endgame spoilers:

So Mathias spend 30 years on the island when all he had to do was to burn that Himiko statue ? Also Lara is dumb, she had diary of Whitman plotting and did nothing, also didn't figured the vessel thing until the end.

Derrick01

Banned
What do people think of Rab Florence's piece on Tomb Raider:

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/post/44702546202/on-lara-croft

I can tell you that this new game has given me exactly what I wanted from Tomb Raider. An incredible world, with every location feeling real and heavy with threat and history. A place to get lost in.

Didn't read it past that summary so far but I'm already annoyed. People putting immersion over gameplay is a losing battle I've been fighting for a few years now.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. It's not a bad game by any stretch, on the other hand it never really goes beyond "good" and "competent". There were some great locales though. The game was also too easy on hard.

Endgame spoilers:

So Mathias spend 30 years on the island when all he had to do was to burn that Himiko statue ? Also Lara is dumb, she had diary of Whitman plotting and did nothing, also didn't figured the vessel thing until the end.

Haha yeah I thought the exact same thing.
Mathias figured out that the Sun Queen controls the storms, and instead of just destroying her body he decides to wait 30 years for a human sacrifice. What a moron.

On the other hand I don't think you get that
diary
until the very end, and I picked up every collectible as I made my way through the campaign.

Didn't read it past that summary so far but I'm already annoyed. People putting immersion over gameplay is a losing battle I've been fighting for a few years now.

I don't necessarily want developers to put in immersion over gameplay, but I don't think Tomb Raider sacrifices too much gameplay for immersion. Sure there's a few "hold forward to Awesome" segments, but they're few and far between, and the exploration is definitely the meat and potatoes of the game.

Andrew.

Banned
Took the weekend to process and digest.

Pros:

+ Exceptional atmosphere, sound and presentation

+ Controls were very tight and responsive. I didn't feel the "slipperiness" of Drake when I was on a small platform or ledge and I could easily control Laras falls.

+ Non intrusive soundtrack that blended in perfectly with your current actions

+ Great pacing in terms of weapon and item acquisition. Also, watching Laras look change and her clothes degrade over the course of the game was really cool. I hadn't seen that for awhile.

Cons:

- Really shoddy enemy AI, at least for the gunmen. The melee attackers were much more aggressive with me, but that's when the dodge comes in handy. Dodge, dodge everywhere

- From the 50% mark onwards, the game suffered a handful of extreme frame dips during heavy actions scenes and even during a few quiet moments (PS3 version).

- Quite the anticlimactic ending and a piss poor final "boss" that reminded me way too much of fighting
Navarro at the end of UC1

- No unique 100% completion rewards or NG+ (I understand why though)

All in all I did really enjoy it and I will probably play it again down the line if they release some decent singleplayer DLC.

Immersion is very important to me. My issue is that I usually can't get immersed in games where control is constantly wrested from me. Personally, I'd rather play a weak but consistent game over something that's bipolar about player agency.

My final impressions for this game are going to be as all over the place as this game is.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just need them to release the pre-order costumes on PSN for a replay. I started a second playthrough with the Aviatrix outfit and will probably do a third one with the Hunter skin whenever that's available.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm sure there are people that are better than me, but I did beat all 3 Uncharteds on Crushing, so I mean it's not like a total doofus or anything.

I didn't think TR Hard was as hard as UC3 Crushing, but it definitely wasn't "a cake walk" that I could do "without breaking a sweat". I actually thought it was just right

This game is dead easy. I spent most of my time trying to get headshots for exp rather than just shooting to survive. I mean you almost never run low on ammo and even armored guards get jacked if you let them get close to you where you dodge and two-shot them. This is a straight up cake walk.

Beat it over the weekend, took me about 12 hours on Hard. Only got about 67% though so I could have done more. Gotta say I am glad I clicked the thread on the review scores the week before it came out because I really enjoyed it. I will have to give it another play through at some point. I just wish there was a harder difficulty.

Derrick01

Banned
Immersion is very important to me. My issue is that I usually can't get immersed in games where control is constantly wrested from me. Personally, I'd rather play a weak but consistent game over something that's bipolar about player agency.

My final impressions for this game are going to be as all over the place as this game is.

We're all immersed by something in games, for example I need either a reeeeally good story (obsidian games, Walking Dead, Spec Ops) to get into something or good gameplay. But what I've noticed in the past few years is that people prefer the most shallow games possible as long as it creates some large world they can run around in. They don't bother noticing that there's barely any notable gameplay in games like Skyrim or TR, it's all "oooh look at the pretty world". That's the kind of "immersion" that is bugging me lately.

Andrew.

Banned
I'll admit those Shantytown waves made me drop the difficulty down to normal (although I put it back up again afterwards). I tend to get a case of the "fuck its" when Im going on my 12th death and there isnt any sort of trophies or post game rewards involved with difficulty completion.

ironcreed

Banned
We're all immersed by something in games, for example I need either a reeeeally good story (obsidian games, Walking Dead, Spec Ops) to get into something or good gameplay. But what I've noticed in the past few years is that people prefer the most shallow games possible as long as it creates some large world they can run around in. They don't bother noticing that there's barely any notable gameplay in games like Skyrim or TR, it's all "oooh look at the pretty world". That's the kind of "immersion" that is bugging me lately.

Hey, everyone likes different games for different reasons. As for me? Some games I love for the world and atmosphere, and some I love for offering me a nail biting, mentally stimulating challenge. I love games and there is room for all sorts in my life. To each their own.

vg260

I always thought that the argument for there being no NG+ because it would break the game was stupid. You have to beat the game in the first place in order to play a NG+ game so you've already played it the way it was meant to be played. Who cares if the second time you play it you choose to play a "broken" version of it instead of playing the exact same way again?

Exactly. I hate that reasoning for lack of New Game +.

No new-game plus makes a game go from a rental to a purchase for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll admit those Shantytown waves made me drop the difficulty down to normal (although I put it back up again afterwards). I tend to get a case of the "fuck its" when Im going on my 12th death and there isnt any sort of trophies or post game rewards involved with difficulty completion.

The lack of difficulty trophies is kind of stupid.

I didn't find Shantytown all that difficult though, I thought the next section was tougher.

Andrew.

Banned
The lack of difficulty trophies is kind of stupid.

I didn't find Shantytown all that difficult though, I thought the next section was tougher.

I had zero issues after that strangely enough. It felt like Shantytown was the only section of the game where they sent a shitload of dudes after you. After that it seemed I was only taking out small handfuls of guys.

Actually, I should qualify my statement a bit more. Except for cutscenes, there aren't a lot of cases in this game where control is completely taken away from you. It's more a matter of having no meaningful input as you endure some on-rails setpiece, or having your choices reduced to walking forward or doing a QTE.

I agree with what you're saying, and I've certainly been guilty of this myself, especially with sandboxes this gen. There's a part of me that can enjoy just sightseeing, wandering around some empty, shallow, beautiful space. It's a weakness of mine, and I am a sucker for detailed, creative environments and characters. I'm certainly not apologizing for something I enjoy, but I understand it's only part of a game's package.

In 10 years though, returning to games with only skin-deep beauty will show them for the tech demos they are. Once the luster is gone, a lot of us are going to realize we were impressed with a beautifully wallpapered box containing a busted copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos (/cough, Skyrim).

This is the opposite of my feeling about the old Tomb Raider games. Playing the games today is (in my case) literally painful on the eyes. The tank controls are functionally effective and were smart at the time, but comparatively feel fairly terrible now. Same with the camera controls. But the actual gameplay (combat aside) and level design make for something that endures.

They obviously ran out of time at the end of the game. Its why theres quite a bit more 'taking control' away from the player and generally not great effects.

Its fine though; hopefully they can perfect for the next game.
Loved it though; great experience and the first time in a while I've though 'I've found a new series'. Love both Lara and the characters.

The end was a bit rubbish and am a bit upset that the post game didn't give me dual pistols.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'd put it about 60/40 from what I've seen around the board, maybe 70/30. More and more people are starting to realize just how shallow and pointless the game is.

Derrick hated Tomb raider, shocking news. I still find it hilarious how much shit you gave the game before launch, then you still bought it. Congrats on helping to guarantee a sequel to a game you've hated since before it was even shown.

Also, props on being in the top 5 for Tomb Raider posts. For hating the game so much you're doing wonders for boosting the community.

I just don't get why you don't go chill in a thread for a game you actually like and want to talk about. Or does such a thing even exist?

Yeah, there's a lot of room to expand on the systems introduced into this game. Given that there's a clear stealth element, I found it kind of strange that enemies never react to walking over each others dead bodies.

In the sequel I hope it becomes more Lara the Tactician/Huntsman than Lara the Action Movie Star

Most definitely. I beat the game last night and felt it was an enjoyable ride. Had better pacing than most of the Uncharted games but never manages to reach their highs. Platforming is too automated and puzzles are too simplistic. Definitely a game that is geared towards this gen's ADD/Shootbang audience. I felt the combat was enjoyable, but stupid easy unless you used anything other than the bow. All in all, good reboot; I liked what they did Lara's character, and I hope subsequent entries add more depth, cause I really don't want another game along these lines, it's far too similar to Uncharted

ebil

2 PhDs and the guy can't even hold a book.
uWaJJLO.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Actually, I should qualify my statement a bit more. Except for cutscenes, there aren't a lot of cases in this game where control is completely taken away from you. It's more a matter of having no meaningful input as you endure some on-rails setpiece, or having your choices reduced to walking forward or doing a QTE.

I agree with what you're saying, and I've certainly been guilty of this myself, especially with sandboxes this gen. There's a part of me that can enjoy just sightseeing, wandering around some empty, shallow, beautiful space. It's a weakness of mine, and I am a sucker for detailed, creative environments and characters. I'm certainly not apologizing for something I enjoy, but I understand it's only part of a game's package.

In 10 years though, returning to games with only skin-deep beauty will show them for the tech demos they are. Once the luster is gone, a lot of us are going to realize we were impressed with a beautifully wallpapered box containing a busted copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos (/cough, Skyrim).

This is the opposite of my feeling about the old Tomb Raider games. Playing the games today is (in my case) literally painful on the eyes. The tank controls are functionally effective and were smart at the time, but comparatively feel fairly terrible now. Same with the camera controls. But the actual gameplay (combat aside) and level design make for something that endures.

I agree with just about everything here. I just wish that effect would happen a lot sooner than years and years though. It'd be a lot healthier for the overall industry.

You can so easily abuse any combat scenario in this game I don't see how people get stuck anywhere.

Manp

well that makes sense until you consider that playing the game in any different way than it was meant to be played may trigger every kind of glitch or bug, some of which may prevent you from advancing through the story.

Andrew.

Banned
You can so easily abuse any combat scenario in this game I don't see how people get stuck anywhere.

Well I definitely wasn't moving around a whole lot. I was mostly trying to funnel them into a pocket but I would get too easily swarmed or someone would one or two shot me from around a corner. Looking back, that section probably wouldnt give me too much trouble now since I know Ive got to be more mobile in that area. There certainly is plenty of room to run around.

Tadale

I finished this on Friday, and while I think I'm disappointed that the game was a little more Uncharted and a little less about exploration than I would have liked, I still very much enjoyed what I played.

I'm really hoping for a nice next gen sequel that opens the world up a bit more. The exploration parts were the best bits.

I'm not sure I believe people who said they played the entire game with the bow. Unless you have truly brilliant aim and were able to headshot each guy in succession during the heated firefights without ever missing, you'd get swarmed and die.

Skilletor

I'm not sure I believe people who said they played the entire game with the bow. Unless you have truly brilliant aim and were able to headshot each guy in succession during the heated firefights without ever missing, you'd get swarmed and die.

I use bow exclusively. When somebody gets close, they get melee'ed. When I get low on health, I dodge around until my health regens. Does the game give you a tally of how many headshots you get? I got the achievement for headshots. Almost all of my shots are headshots.

The game is easy.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
well that makes sense until you consider that playing the game in any different way than it was meant to be played may trigger every kind of glitch or bug, some of which may prevent you from advancing through the story.

Yeah, not like TR doesn't already have game breaking glitches. Other games in the genre (like Uncharted) also come to a screeching halt with bugs when you turned on cheats. [/sarcasm]

It's a bullshit excuse and you know it. Same thing as not letting people also invert the x-axis if they wanted to.

Top Bottom