• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I'm not sure I believe people who said they played the entire game with the bow. Unless you have truly brilliant aim and were able to headshot each guy in succession during the heated firefights without ever missing, you'd get swarmed and die.

Not sure there's any reason not to believe them. I mean, I'm mostly using the assault rifle and shotgun or melee, but it's because I'm frequently complete garbage at headshots. I mostly use the bow for stealth.

I use bow exclusively. When somebody gets close, they get melee'ed. When I get low on health, I dodge around until my health regens. Does the game give you a tally of how many headshots you get? I got the achievement for headshots. Almost all of my shots are headshots.

The game is easy.

I guess using dodge and melee as well it would be possible. Not that much fun, but possible.

When you fully upgrade the rifle, it's such a cool weapon. The bullets actually feel like they pack a much more serious punch than when you first get the rifle. The sound, the impact - it's very well done.

Manp

Yeah, not like TR doesn't already have game breaking glitches.

so you're saying that the game barely work as is and you want to mess with it even more with cheats?
i'm sure it can be done, but it probably takes a little bit of effort and some time spent into testing, something that they probably don't want to devote money on.

i'd like it too btw :)

I guess using dodge and melee as well it would be possible. Not that much fun, but possible.

When you fully upgrade the rifle, it's such a cool weapon. The bullets actually feel like they pack a much more serious punch than when you first get the rifle. The sound, the impact - it's very well done.

Yeah it's so effective guys just melt

MisterC20XX

I finished the campaign last night with a 70% completion and now I need to go explore the remaining tombs. The tomb puzzles, although not difficult enough in my opinion, were actually my favorite part of the experience. I could play a whole game based on exploring a giant web of interconnected tombs of various difficulties, tombs that require the player to have previously unlocked or located specific tools, equipment and abilities. To me this is heart of the TR series and I hope the next TR game puts a greater focus on exploration. In all I have to say I really enjoyed the game and now I'm excited for the franchise again.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not sure I believe people who said they played the entire game with the bow. Unless you have truly brilliant aim and were able to headshot each guy in succession during the heated firefights without ever missing, you'd get swarmed and die.

You don't have to though. Two or three semi charged shots to the chest and an enemy still goes down. The only difficulty is with the armored guards but luckily they're stupid enough to charge you where you use the dodge to kill them.

You don't have to though. Two or three semi charged shots to the chest and an enemy still goes down. The only difficulty is with the armored guards but luckily they're stupid enough to charge you where you use the dodge to kill them.

Yeah, but sometimes you don't have time to two-or three-shot every guy coming at you. I know, because I did try a couple of times. You would have to resort to melee and dodge.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, but sometimes you don't have time to two-or three-shot every guy coming at you. I know, because I did try a couple of times. You would have to resort to melee and dodge.

Depending on the level, you can also back up and fire as you retreat. That's primarily how I handled the fortress assault bit. The enemies are fairly slow so it's not a problem.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
ok I got 100% on all locations & no trophies, am I missing something?

ok I got 100% on all locations & no trophies, am I missing something?

Have you beaten the game yet? Lara's last journal doesn't pop until after you beat the game, which is when you get the completionist trophy/achievement, if that's what you're talking about.

bryehn

Put about 3 hours into this yesterday and really like it so far, aside from stick waggling QTEs. The sound design is really top notch and from an accessibility standpoint, the subs/captions are extraordinarily well done, to the point a deaf game could really enjoy it to its fullest.

Dr Dogg

Hmmm. Well I heard that the tombs were few and far between so was expecting to for the smaller number to be made up for in quality. First tomb I find done in less than a minute. Yeah, I think me and this game are going to fall out soon.

Just beat it.
Pretty terrible story,I'll have to read the spoiler thread.

Loved the dual pistols scene at the end, wish she had those earlier as that was the first time I felt I was playing Tomb Raider.

2 PHDs and the guy can't even hold a book.

That whole camp area with the optional dialogue is so glitched. No one there, when talking, opened their mouths.

Grisby

Bit of a spoiler on the final boss fight.
That was a pretty nice touch with Lara getting her signature double pistols.

Short ending.

How long does it take to complete the game? Thinking of playing it with my friends's Steam account but don't want to limit his access to his Steam games for too long.

antitrop

Just beat it.
Pretty terrible story,I'll have to read the spoiler thread.

Loved the dual pistols scene at the end, wish she had those earlier as that was the first time I felt I was playing Tomb Raider.
Bit of a spoiler on the final boss fight.
That was a pretty nice touch with Lara getting her signature double pistols.

Short ending.
This alone made the disappointing narrative ending more acceptable to me.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Didn't read it past that summary so far but I'm already annoyed. People putting immersion over gameplay is a losing battle I've been fighting for a few years now.

it's just sad that "production values" or open world with good graphics is more important than good and rewarding and challenging gameplay, you what.. what games should be about.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Have you beaten the game yet? Lara's last journal doesn't pop until after you beat the game, which is when you get the completionist trophy/achievement, if that's what you're talking about.
Done it now, Yeah I finished it it was cuz I missed the Cliffside bunker lol
The game seem dead now, I can't find anyone to kill to get the last trophies

Good review. I didn't agree with everything you said, but it was a well thought out video.

Thanks, I don't think anyone ever shares 100% the exact same thoughts on a game, part of the beauty of gaming is differing opinions. But I'm grateful you too the time to watch it :)

Just out of curiosity sake, what parts didn't you agree with?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, I don't think anyone ever shares 100% the exact same thoughts on a game, part of the beauty of gaming is differing opinions. But I'm grateful you too the time to watch it :)

Just out of curiosity sake, what parts didn't you agree with?

I didn't think the switch from wide eyed college student to murdering psychopath was quite as sharp as you thought it was. In the first scene where she kills a guy, he was basically trying to choke her out so she was fending for her life. Then you pick up his empty pistol and run into a bunch of guys who are firing flaming arrows at you. There really isn't much room for negotiating with them, and it all kind of snowballs from there. Every time you get spotted the enemies immediately try to kill you, so I never thought, "I wonder why Lara is killing everyone around her?" Also later in the game you overhear someone saying how Ivan (the first guy you kill) is really bloodthirsty, and they're not surprised that everyone in the village was killed. I thought CD justified it pretty well.

I also didn't think the QTEs were as bad as you did, but then again I played on PS3 and they were pretty easy to read. I know PC players on here found them pretty annoying since the prompts didn't work all the time.

I also loved the sound of the bow lol, I tried to use that weapon whenever possible.

Oh, and I LOVE Drake. I like Lara, but Drake is cooler. :p

Edit: Actually, give me a game based around Chloe Frazer and I'll be in heaven.

I didn't think the switch from wide eyed college student to murdering psychopath was quite as sharp as you thought it was. In the first scene where she kills a guy, he was basically trying to choke her out so she was fending for her life. Then you pick up his empty pistol and run into a bunch of guys who are firing flaming arrows at you. There really isn't much room for negotiating with them, and it all kind of snowballs from there. Every time you get spotted the enemies immediately try to kill you, so I never thought, "I wonder why Lara is killing everyone around her?" Also later in the game you overhear someone saying how Ivan (the first guy you kill) is really bloodthirsty, and they're not surprised that everyone in the village was killed. I thought CD justified it pretty well.

I also didn't think the QTEs were as bad as you did, but then again I played on PS3 and they were pretty easy to read. I know PC players on here found them pretty annoying since the prompts didn't work all the time.

I also loved the sound of the bow lol, I tried to use that weapon whenever possible.

Not everyone does agree about those things, that's why in the review I said her character was a hot topic among players because it seems to be some think it's too sudden and others don't. I don't mind her killing, but it's the game tossing waves at you suddenly that annoys me. Felt a little too forced into combat. And I didn't like how she almost enjoyed killing people after a while, just to save her friends, who never once tried to help her in the game.

Pretty sure i ran into glitch. There are two mines on my game save that do not show up at beach. Watched two walkthroughs and they're just not there

Same thing happened for me, when I tried using instinct they wouldn't glow at all but they should be there still, just aim around the area it till your crosshair turns red. hope that helps

These "challenges" are a joke. Not challenges but just more and more collectibles. In retrospect, Donkey Kong 64 had less collectibles than this game.

Dr Dogg

These "challenges" are a joke. Not challenges but just more and more collectibles. In retrospect, Donkey Kong 64 had less collectibles than this game.

I was thinking that. Got the wiff of UbiSoft about them. Call them what you want GBP Drops, Relics ect you're still just walking over to a prompt and pressing a button.

RagnarokX

The first guy you kill is Vladimir, and they talk about how Vladimir and the other Russians are violent assholes that love to kill and how their killing sprees break the rules. The AI attacking you often contradicts the conversations they have before you engage them. The characterization is all over the place.

Here's that conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dopBv0TmcI#t=11m37s

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The first guy you kill is Vladimir, and they talk about how Vladimir and the other Russians are violent assholes that love to kill and how their killing sprees break the rules. The AI attacking you often contradicts the conversations they have before you engage them. The characterization is all over the place.

Here's that conversation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dopBv0TmcI#t=11m37s

My bad, I knew it was a Russian name.

Really enjoyed the game, tombs were kinda easy, but fun regardless.

Has anyone played the multiplayer? how is it?

It's very simplistic, but that's why I like it. No killstreaks and all that crap that modern shooters love. Just you, your gun, and some traversal.

LaneDS

I'm guessing you're joking, because even if Tomb Raider has a ton of stuff to collect (for no real reason) it doesn't hold a candle to DK64's "collect everything on a stage... five times with each character!" collect-a-thon gameplay.

My bad, I knew it was a Russian name.

It's very simplistic, but that's why I like it. No killstreaks and all that crap that modern shooters love. Just you, your gun, and some traversal.

I played a couple matches, it is simplistic in a good way. Shame there aren't many people playing(at this time).

Just finished on the PC. Couldn't handle the hair physics. :(
But was able to play on Ultra butter smooth. AMAZING looking game.

+ Had a nice blend of Uncharted and Arkham Asylum
+ Great combat mechanics. Shooting, stealth kills, and the finishers are great.
+ Platforming done right. Not once did i feel annoyed.
+ Amazing graphics. Easily top 10 this gen. A+ set pieces.
+ Exploration is fun. Reminds me a a lot of Arkham Asylum.

- Story was so so. It's not bad, just forgettable.
- Didn't care for any side characters. Even Lara herself was a tad boring.
- Survival Instinct is HORRIBLE. Made the game less challenging
- Music was meh, I swear some of the sound effects sounded exactly the same from Uncharted
- The Tombs are too simple. I only did 4 though, maybe they get better?
- Don't like the multiplayer at all.

All in all it's very polished and very fun if you're into platform shooters. 8/10

UC2>UC1=TR>UC3.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
And it's glorious.

But eh, Donkey Kong 64 has more. Lot's more. DK64 wants you to collect-a-thon untill infinity and beyond, and then some.
And yes, it's glorious.

MisterC20XX

Poop, for the most part.

Yep. I just played one round of Free For All on PS3, Oy vey! I don't know if it's the frame rate, the camera, the controls or a combination of all of them but the gameplay just feels off, like I never had decent control. Wow, what a frantic mess.

antitrop

Pointless in what way? Unless you're doing a derrick impersonation.
Pointless in that it has very little depth and the community will probably fall away pretty quickly.

It's a minor distraction that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and it's more than serviceable given that, but it doesn't stand up to the big dogs of multiplayer.

I'm not going to avoid playing another primarily multiplayer game to play Tomb Raider, instead. Hell, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm is like 12 hours away. I'll be fucked if I'm going to play TR online instead of SC2.

SmithnCo

Don't listen to this cat, the multiplayer is fun.

Eh, I think my problem is cry for help and rescue usually end up being very one-sided due to cheap spawns and tactics from one team or another. The deathmatch isn't much to write home about when there are better options.

I think they could've played into TR's strengths with a co-op horde mode, which was my favorite part of UC's multi. But I think TR has more satisfying shooting, so that would've been fun.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Pointless in that it has very little depth and the community will probably fall away pretty quickly.

It's a minor distraction that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and it's more than serviceable given that, but it doesn't stand up to the big dogs of multiplayer.

I'm not going to avoid playing another primarily multiplayer game to play Tomb Raider, instead. Hell, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm is like 12 hours away. I'll be fucked if I'm going to play TR online instead of SC2.

I think the fact that it's going up against SC2's release date is one of the main reasons its multiplayer component will probably fall away so quickly. I really enjoy it though, and I wish more shooters would strip away all that killstreak and vehicle bullshit and give us straight up gun-on-gun multiplayer.

Eh, I think my problem is cry for help and rescue usually end up being very one-sided due to cheap spawns and tactics from one team or another. The deathmatch isn't much to write home about when there are better options.

I think they could've played into TR's strengths with a co-op horde mode, which was my favorite part of UC's multi. But I think TR has more satisfying shooting, so that would've been fun.

Yeah some of the modes are pretty lopsided, I generally stick to team deathmatch.

I would buy a horde mode add-on sight unseen though.

ironcreed

Banned
Curious to give the MP a whirl. But not until I complete the campaign. It's there, so I am definitely going to at least check it out.

Top Bottom