• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

antitrop

Probably because there is nothing wrong with it. It's awesome.
It only exacerbates the issues people are already having with the game.

If you're enjoying the combat leading up to it, then Shantytown is awesome. Personally, it's my favorite area in the game. The amount of combat was refreshing, plenty of new opportunities to use the extensive skill set of Lara. And after that it was my favorite playground area to explore and collect meaningless items for a % score.

But if you don't like Tomb Raider, then Shantytown represents everything that is wrong with it.

NZNova

If you're enjoying the combat leading up to it, then Shantytown is awesome. Personally, it's my favorite area in the game. The amount of combat was refreshing, plenty of new opportunities to use the extensive skill set of Lara. And after that it was my favorite playground area to explore and collect meaningless items for a % score.

But if you don't like Tomb Raider, then Shantytown represents everything that is wrong with it.

Shantytown was so great. It reminded me a lot of the opening village in Resident Evil 4. Did people really not like it?

Andrew.

Banned
What was up with those briar patch-like bushes that looked like they could be burned away? There was a buch of them spread out all over the map and it always seemed like they were blocking a path. For awhile I figured I wouldve been able to burn them away and score some extra XP or something, but no.

spekkeh

Banned
Why are people harping on survival mode? It's entirely optional. The game's designed in such a way that you don't need it. I only turn it on if I'm stuck for more than a few minutes. Really gratifying to play that way.

TripOpt55

I don't care if they have survival vision or whatever. I just never use it. But I wish since they included it, they had the balls to make the puzzles and platforming harder. Then if people got stuck and frustrated they could use it, but the rest of us would get an actual challenge from the game.

Skilletor

Why are people harping on survival mode? It's entirely optional. The game's designed in such a way that you don't need it. I only turn it on if I'm stuck for more than a few minutes. Really gratifying to play that way.

Exactly. The game is designed so you don't need it. It's so braindead easy where to go, its existence is unnecessary. Why not make the game harder and have the win button as an option for those who get stuck?

I think is game is amazing. Went in with low expectations, got it for 25$ and I'm loving it. I think it's better than Uncharted, but maybe cuz on the PC it's 60 FPS, which I think helps a lot with this kind of game. The Shantytown encounter was amazing, I died a couple times but soon realize I could literally go anywhere in the area to fight it out...pretty cool.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't care if they have survival vision or whatever. I just never use it. But I wish since they included it, they had the balls to make the puzzles and platforming harder. Then if people got stuck and frustrated they could use it, but the rest of us would get an actual challenge from the game.

That's supposed to be the reason it was included to begin with and they still fucked us :lol

Just reached the
Shipwreck Beach
this morning. Still loving the game. I love the detail being added to Lara's outfit as the game has progressed. Not to mention the evolution of your weapons as you purchase their upgrades.

antitrop

What was up with those briar patch-like bushes that looked like they could be burned away? There was a buch of them spread out all over the map and it always seemed like they were blocking a path. For awhile I figured I wouldve been able to burn them away and score some extra XP or something, but no.

As far as I could tell, the only reason for their existence is for boars to come out of.

Superflat

I thought Shanty Town was just sort of a tired aesthetic, and it was easy for me to get lost in my first time here since a lot of it looked samey. The fact that it basically served as a labyrinth of "use your pulley in these 5 areas, shotgun in these 7 areas, icepick in these 15 areas and find all 20 crates of salvage points!", I was pretty tired of it by the time I thoroughly went through Shanty Town for the first time. The combat here was fun though.

nel e nel

Don't listen to this cat, the multiplayer is fun.

I agree it's fun, but have you tried searching for a game with a party of your friends? Oh wait, YOU CAN'T.

I dunno, my personal gold standard for 3rd person shooters is Gears, and this pales in comparison to that, at least control-wise. It does have amazing verticality and complexity to it's level designs, and I really appreciate that.

Nori Chan

So I just rented the game and I wanted to ask: without spoilers...well as best as possible, what are the missable achievements in this game so I don't have to play through another time?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I agree it's fun, but have you tried searching for a game with a party of your friends? Oh wait, YOU CAN'T.

I dunno, my personal gold standard for 3rd person shooters is Gears, and this pales in comparison to that, at least control-wise. It does have amazing verticality and complexity to it's level designs, and I really appreciate that.

I was trying to find the option to party up with friends but I couldn't figure it out. Is there really no way to browse for matches with your party?

I think TR's multiplayer is heavily influenced by Uncharted MP, but I think it lacks a certain amount of fluidity and polish, since it was farmed out to a secondary team. I do enjoy it more than UC3 multiplayer so far though.

So I just rented the game and I wanted to ask: without spoilers...well as best as possible, what are the missable achievements in this game so I don't have to play through another time?

I think the only missable achievement is (very, very slight spoilers)
exhausting all conversation options with everyone from your crew when you come across them in the campaign.
These are really easy to miss, so I'd suggest looking up the list online.

Edit: Actually here you go (location spoilers):

#1 - Before searching for 50 pieces of salvage, talk to Whitman.
#2 - After finding the 50 pieces of salvage, talk to Whitman again (do not repair the Axe yet!)
#3 - After helping Roth (where the wolves attack him), talk to Roth.
#4 - Shortly after getting the Rope Arrows you will meet Roth again. Talk to him before using the zipline.
#5 - When reaching the beach you will meet your friends. Talk to Sam, Reyes and Jonah.
#6 - Before going to the Endurance to help Alex and get the tools, talk to Whitman, Sam, Jonah and Reyes at the beach camp. Reyes is on the boat.
#7 - After coming back from the Endurance, talk to Whitman, Reyes and Jonah.

L.O.R.D

just finished the game
easily, one of the best games i played last 2-3 years
i am really happy with this game

but,in the ending
she said she id not going home, she was holding book with map, where she is going ?

Dr Dogg

Oh come on. Just done my second tomb and this is getting silly now. Do they all just consist of one very easy puzzle and the shower you with xp?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This game is suppose to regenerate enemies? Cuz I ain't seen anyone for hours

woober

I just finished the game. I thought the ending was nice more so for what it hints at than what it was
dual pistol wielding!
. The game was at its best when the maps were more open and allowed for actual exploration.

ibqqffS7bTOeHA.jpg

The graphics were great on PC and it'll be something I'll revisit when I get an upgrade to turn on TressFX and 100% all the collecting. The story itself was nothing special, though I had expected that to be true. The cast itself was forgettable, and I don't think I liked any of the characters other than Roth.

iGF4rMyn1DvXL.jpg

The gameplay itself was well done and enjoyable. All the set piece sequences reminded me of Uncharted, but I liked them all. I just hope they have more open environments and puzzles in their future games. I mean, look at those vistas!!

iwCxnVrGUSeSH.jpg

Now to wait for what I hope will be an improved sequel to this game. Bring it!

Just finished it at 90%(Screw those GPS markers)

Loved the whole last section. The climbing in that area is so much more entertaining because the devs actually treat you like you should know what you are doing and refrain engaging slow-mo every second to give you time to press the pick axe button.

The combat was also really fun in that area.

Overall I would give the game a 7/10

All I ask from CD to make this go from popcorn entertainment to a truly great game is the following:

-Remove every set piece that involves crap breaking all around you or is a excuse to get you quickly to a new area. Only use set-pieces to establish tension and atmosphere. This game is at its best when it lets us explore so let us do that.

-Do not under any circumstances replace legitimate gameplay with a QTE.

Basically this and this and not this and definitely not this.

-Only give us a bow and maybe a pistol. Drop all the other weapons. You guys obviously love the bow the whole game is built around it. The combat and traversal upgrades all were made for the bow. I don't know which meeting you guys had where someone demanded you chase the COD crowd but I am telling you everyone loves the bow and we will not mourn the loss of the Assault Rifle(AKA Easy mode).

-Its fine to offer some varied Combat experiences where were forced into gunplay but next game make sure the majority of the areas favor player choice. I know you are really proud of the AI's ability to throw a moltov and for maniacs to bum rush you with a axe but if people want to take the time to go the stealth route let them. You are only going to get more people on board by not forcing them to follow your script.

-Speaking of stealth give me something slightly more satisfying that the Climbing Axe to the shoulder.

-Get rid of all your supporting characters. All of them. This game isn't Uncharted it's not a series based around camaraderie its about the survivor its about Lara. I understand you needed some other characters to offset her transformation from the fawn that can barely walk to a ninja assassin but you did that so for the next game just have Lara.

-Lara is fantastic though. Great design, great voice just excellent through and through.

-Level design needs to favor the open areas. You guys have specifically two sections in this game that push the exploring aspect and are a absolute joy to wander around in. Which is amazing cause the tombs and items you find are pretty much worthless. With that in mind:

-Give us some elaborate tombs that stump us and give us a good reason to explore these places.

-Get a new music director. I honestly cant remember one song from the game and there isn't even one I could say is the theme for the game.

-Fire whoever came up with Shantytown

Thats all pretty please CD!

jrcbandit

Since the tombs were optional, why didn't they make fewer of them that are vastly more complex instead of just 1 simple puzzle? I know we are in the ADD era of gaming, but the tombs were ridiculously short. My only real complaint other than normal mode being way too easy. Still had lots of fun and can't wait for the sequel. I just hope the tombs in the sequel are much less forgiving when platforming and of course more than 1 puzzle.

sleepykyo

-Only give us a bow and maybe a pistol. Drop all the other weapons. You guys obviously love the bow the whole game is built around it. The combat and traversal upgrades all were made for the bow. I don't know which meeting you guys had where someone demanded you chase the COD crowd but I am telling you everyone loves the bow and we will not mourn the loss of the Assault Rifle(AKA Easy mode).

That isn't happening. Somewhere out there a CD executive is making the case that the addition of mp converted rentals into sales. And mp needs guns. Lots and lots of guns.

The MP sucks. It could be decent but as of now it is way too easy to push players into their spawns and lock them there.

Plus not being able to search for a game with your friends is freakin dumb. I let that kind of shit pass on low budget games like anarchy reigns but for a supposed "AAA" game its omission is laughable.

I like how the shotguns inclusion was justified by having it break barriers. It was very thoughtful and it made it imo integral to Lara's character growth

That isn't happening. Somewhere out there a CD executive is making the case that the addition of mp converted rentals into sales. And mp needs guns. Lots and lots of guns.

Keep it in the MP then. BAM!
Problem solved.

I like how the shotguns inclusion was justified by having it break barriers. It was very thoughtful and it made it imo integral to Lara's character growth

This is a joke post right? Its getting hard to tell around here lately.

Bruce you summed up the game very nicely. I also give it a 7/10.

Thanks man. Lets start a no guns petition.

Fo' real, man. My girlfriend cites her mother and her shotgun as the two biggest influences in making her the woman she is today.

55% in..just got back to the
shipwreck area
. Enjoying the game, but I'm ready for it to be over. Want to get to the end and have all the mysteries figured out.

nib95

Banned
Started this earlier today. Initial immediate first impression was, Oh God, janky animations and typical damsel in distress crap. But very quickly it adjusted, and started getting in the groove of it. She gets more and more capable as you play, which made her character better imo. Enjoying the gameplay too. Not as polished as some similar games, but certainly a nice mix. Sort of like AC3 (jungle/forest sections) meets Uncharted.

Graphics are usually a hit and sometimes a miss. Now and again they look stunning. Only main negative is that the lighting can be a bit flat, otherwise the art, design and general atmosphere is top notch, with a nice mix up. Textures up close aren't always super detailed, but they are as good as they need to be. Add to that, there's some nice post process effects thrown in, and the image overall is quite clean. Frame rate is also solid, with very few momentary drops (PS3 version here).

Having a lot of fun so far and can't wait to jump back in. Enjoying just hunting and exploring for parts and trinkets.

Started this earlier today. Initial immediate first impression was, Oh God, janky animations and typical damsel in distress crap. But very quickly it adjusted, and started getting in the groove of it. She gets more and more capable as you play, which made her character better imo. Enjoying the gameplay too. Not as polished as some similar games, but certainly a nice mix. Sort of like AC3 (jungle/forest sections) meets Uncharted.

Graphics are usually a hit and sometimes a miss. Now and again they look stunning. Only main negative is that the lighting can be a bit flat, otherwise the art, design and general atmosphere is top notch, with a nice mix up. Textures up close aren't always super detailed, but they are as good as they need to be. Add to that, there's some nice post process effects thrown in, and the image overall is quite clean. Frame rate is also solid, with very few momentary drops (PS3 version here).

Having a lot of fun so far and can't wait to jump back in. Enjoying just hunting and exploring for parts and trinkets.

Whatever you do Nib don't resort to using the Assault Rifle. Ruins the combat.

Top Bottom