• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

RagnarokX

Tankshell

I have a 590 and played the entire game almost entirely at 60fps near-maxed with TressFX, Exclusive Fullscreen, and Tessellation on, not one single crash. I never even had to use the "Hitman" fix, either. The first patch wasn't released until I was already 2 hours away from the ending of the game.

The Nvidia problems have always been with the 600 series from the start, 500 series is fine.

The only actual problem I had was that the game was unplayable with TressFX and MSAA on at the same time, but turning AA off in-game and using Nvidia Injector for SGSSAA allowed me to have 60fps, with AA and TressFX, without having to use the God awful FXAA.

Same.

Finally beat it. The first Tomb Raider that I finish and like, the other ones were "meh" at best.

Tressfx is fantastic, I want this in all my games now. I couldn't help but to wish that everyone in the game had it too, other characters stand out badly by the lack of Tressfx.

The game had good graphics, but for the people that said that are better than Crysis, guys guys are blind.

A ATI 7970 was enough to keep the game at 55 fps at minimum, tessellation off, the rest ultra and with FXAA.

Enjoyable but still Uncharted 2 and 3 are better.

Completely agree, I have replayed UC 2/3 many times over just for the spectacle, I enjoyed TR but have no urge to play it again. Also, a big part of any game for me is the music, UC3 had possibly one of the best soundtracks of all time, TR didn't have one memorable track!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I have Tomb Raider 1, 2, Anniversary, Legend and Underworld on Steam. I played maybe three quarters of Underworld back in the day but it didn't leave a lasting impression, I can barely remember it. Otherwise, I've never played a TR game other than TR2013. Any recommendations?

antitrop

So, I have Tomb Raider 1, 2, Anniversary, Legend and Underworld on Steam. I played maybe three quarters of Underworld back in the day but it didn't leave a lasting impression, I can barely remember it. Otherwise, I've never played a TR game other than TR2013. Any recommendations?
This was the first TR game I've played since 1997. I played Uncharted 1 to completion and generally enjoyed it. I got about 1/3 through Uncharted 2 and never bothered to finish it (for no good reason, really, just other games came around).

I ended up enjoying Tomb Raider 2013 to a great extent and I would be incredibly surprised if it fails to fall in my Top 5 list at the end of this year.

After this game, Lara Croft is finally worthy of her legendary status in the industry.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Anniversary is the best game in the franchise.

RedAssedApe

Banned
but that IS a pretty big victory Derrick01 :p
pretty hard to die in this game after all!

Haha, maybe someone should do an intentional death run and record all the death animations and put it on youtube. It's so grotesque and dumb >_<

I actually died several times in the rapids sequence because I couldn't see shit because all of the stuff that could impale seemed to blend in with things. Also that stupid water effect where the screen gets wet...as if you were riding down the rapids behind Lara in an intertube and filming her. :p

Could have been my TV settings though...probably could have bumped the brightness a little to make that part easier. Ashamed that I died just as many times as Conan...

Superflat

I actually died several times in the rapids sequence because I couldn't see shit because all of the stuff that could impale seemed to blend in with things. Also that stupid water effect where the screen gets wet...as if you were riding down the rapids behind Lara in an intertube and filming her. :p

Could have been my TV settings though...probably could have bumped the brightness a little to make that part easier. Ashamed that I died just as many times as Conan...

I found it incredibly easy to die in the rapids scene. Considering the combat and platforming was extremely easy, I was dumbfounded when I kept dying there. I thought the Conan segment was playing it up but I died as many times in that section, if not more.

mujun

Come on Tricky, saying TR has better platforming than Uncharted is like saying getting Herpes is better than terminal cancer. Yeah what a victory.

In your world. I think the platforming in Uncharted is okay and good in TR.

Can you give me an example of excellent platforming?

My own personal example would probably be Splosion Man.

Dead

well not really...yet
Who would argue that Herpes is as bad or worse than Terminal Cancer. One is pretty clearly worse than the other.

Derrick01

Banned
Who would argue that Herpes is as bad or worse than Terminal Cancer. One is pretty clearly worse than the other.

The point is they both suck so bad and you want to avoid both as much as possible :\

IcyRhythms said:
Threads like this one are funny because you have all these people who claim they hate this reboot and yet some of them have more posts than anyone else. Hey, if you don't like it then so be it. Why the need to keep coming back and discussing how much you hate it? If you don't like it, stop playing it and stop talking about it. It's very simple IMO

There's no rule that you're only allowed to post in an OT if you like the game. Stop trying to make it a circle jerk where it's "safe" for you all to gush over how amazing it is.

Threads like this one are funny because you have all these people who claim they hate this reboot and yet some of them have more posts than anyone else. Hey, if you don't like it then so be it. Why the need to keep coming back and discussing how much you hate it? If you don't like it, stop playing it and stop talking about it. It's very simple IMO

antitrop

I fucking love the game and I have the most posts in the thread, trying to balance it out. :)

Gueras

Banned
Finished the game 13h30m to be done with 75%

It's a good game but from the middle until the end looks like more a Gears of War's game than TombRaider...

Miss a cover system for combat and I think the second need more puzzle and more exploration that's what TombRaider is about... not violence for free with no sense...

RagnarokX

In your world. I think the platforming in Uncharted is okay and good in TR.

Can you give me an example of excellent platforming?

My own personal example would probably be Splosion Man.

Pretty much every platformer ever has better platforming than this game. This game's platforming presents absolutely zero challenge. You don't have to figure anything out and, barring a glitch or an unexpected QTE, jumps are pretty much unmissable.

Hell, even Crystal Dynamics hit a good standard for platforming when they remade a game that had good platforming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37C5MeJfRvY#t=10m53s

A game with TR2013's production values and settings with Anniversary's level of platforming and puzzle solving? Hook me the fuck up.

plainr_

Finally got around to beating the game. I loved it. Favorite part of the game was definitely the beach part. A good amount of freedom and exploration.

Also, them graphics are really nice at max settings.

Because circle jerk threads are just as bad

Beat it tonight, did all the challenges and got all the collectibles, finished with 100%. Think it took me around 12 hours or so. Really, really enjoyed it, one of the best gaming experiences ive had in a while.

Nothing really caught my attention last half of 2012 and this year so far, everything was just same old same old. This really grabbed me though and it felt super refereshing, even though it gets inspiration from lots of other games.

One thing I wish though is there was some more puzzle solving and wish tombs were much bigger and more complex.

*Walks into thread with eyes covered*

Holy shit that wide-open forest area with guards where I can stealth around doing headshots with my bow was so awesome. Felt like a nextgen MGS3. Never thought I'd be doing that in a Tomb Raider game.

Okay later.

Grisby

Gonna stop playing the MP. I think Ive had my fill. For the sequel CD needs to have better map designers and add changes to the spawn/rule set. That game's combat fundamentals are there and it could be as good as uncharted's.

iU60u4mlSwv6Y.gif

Wow I didn't know the game had that kind of violence lol. Awesome gif

You have to watch the full clip. The audiences reactions are priceless.

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

Why doesn't Lara ever get warmer clothing? She runs around in a fucking tank top the entire game, in all kinds of conditions and doesn't think to put on something more suitable?

I love this game so much, but stuff like that is really stupid. Same with Laras inconsistent tendency to act like shes in agony one minute but a spring chicken the next.

mujun

Pretty much every platformer ever has better platforming than this game. This game's platforming presents absolutely zero challenge. You don't have to figure anything out and, barring a glitch or an unexpected QTE, jumps are pretty much unmissable.

I disagree. I enjoyed the platforming, a lot.

To me it is like parachuting in Just Cause 2. Sure, it is not very hard but for me it doesn't have to be hard to be good.

It made traversing levels pleasurable and also provided spectacle.

If I directly compare it to the platforming in TR:U then I would say confidently that I definitely enjoyed the platforming in TR more. I did enjoy it at times in Underworld but also found it frustrating in many ways, some subjective and others objective.

Bladenic

To me it is like parachuting in Just Cause 2. Sure, it is not very hard but for me it doesn't have to be hard to be good.

If I directly compare it to the platforming in TR:U then I would say confidently that I definitely enjoyed the platforming in TR more. I did enjoy it at times in Underworld but also found it frustrating in many ways, some subjective and others objective.

Underworld could be frustrating due to camera and control issues. Otherwise, the platforming and level design were absolutely fantastic.

Skilletor

That, to me, just means you enjoy platforming that requires no risk, no timing.

Platforming with no risk of falling may as well not have jumps at all. At that point, it becomes Assassin's Creed.

rouken

finally got 100%. it was a fun experience. :)

i really like the new Lara, her conversion to sweet innocent teenager to one girl killing machine was awesome! and i love how she respond to bad guys by saying "is that the best you got?"

i just hope there's more tombs in the sequel, and interesting side characters. other than that, the documents, relics, platforming and gunplay were all great.

The shit I've done with the parachute in Just Cause 2 wipes the floor with anything I've done traversal wise in Tomb Raider. Pin-point landings, crazy escapes, learning to parachute UP mountainsides. Its not even comparable. But you're right, its *not* hard, and its not the difficulty that makes it interesting, but that it allows the player some depth to explore and play with or master to the point where it can truly change the way you approach the game.

Simple is fine, but if you never get into combinations, or never need to explore combinations or timing, it's just simplistic actions, one after the other.

TripOpt55

*Walks into thread with eyes covered*

Holy shit that wide-open forest area with guards where I can stealth around doing headshots with my bow was so awesome. Felt like a nextgen MGS3. Never thought I'd be doing that in a Tomb Raider game.

Okay later.

I wish more of the combat scenarios were like this one.

mujun

That, to me, just means you enjoy platforming that requires no risk, no timing.

Platforming with no risk of falling may as well not have jumps at all. At that point, it becomes Assassin's Creed.

I also enjoyed Splosion Man, many Mario games, etc. You can fall off/die in TR. Sure, it is low risk and that may turn some off but I don't think that it means that the platforming is bad and you also should allow for people who enjoy the platforming in the game as a form of traversal.

Otherwise, the platforming and level design were absolutely fantastic.

Subjective, like my opinion, right?

Beat it earlier today. Loved every second of it. Loved when the game opened up it felt more like an action adventure game rather than a typical third person shooter. Loved doing the optional tombs. Could easily end up my GOTY. So amazing!

One question, why did Lara
stab herself with the fire arrow in the plane? How did that ease the pain?

Superflat

Beat it earlier today. Loved every second of it. Loved when the game opened up it felt more like an action adventure game rather than a typical third person shooter. Loved doing the optional tombs. Could easily end up my GOTY. So amazing!

edit: Blap, Duke answered it.

RagnarokX

I also enjoyed Splosion Man, many Mario games, etc. You can fall off/die in TR. Sure, it is low risk and that may turn some off but I don't think that it means that the platforming is bad and you also should allow for people who enjoy the platforming in the game as a form of traversal.

Subjective, like my opinion, right?

It's not low risk, it's no risk. You can subjectively enjoy this, but it objectively requires the least skill in the entire franchise and compared to most games in general; as in no skill. You really cannot fail at the platforming unless the game breaks, something you needed psychic powers to predict happens, or you are terrible at games. There is nothing to figure out; the path forward is always clearly lain out and there is very little room for choice.

cauterization

I just finished on my first time through with 95% completion.

I'm so not going back and searching for those 'totem' style things though.

All in all I've got to say the whole 'Uncharted' direction for Tomb Raider couldn't please me more and I almost so enjoyed the game that I put it up there with one of my favorites of all time.

I played on PC with all the settings cranked to full and it was a visual spectacular. My god the
scene where she climbs the radio tower is one of the most vertigo inducing things I've ever experience in a game
, but fuck me was it mesmerisingly beautiful.

I also love the quips that she makes at the enemies when you're fighting them like "come and get me you bastards" in her accent, it's so awesome. And they say something like "oh my god she's killing us all" and she replies. Or they say "kill her" and she replies "give it your best shot you bastards". Shit like that just amps up the fight scenes and makes them so much more enjoyable.

I found the controls to be fantastic and it was all very enjoyable, loved the ropes, love the rock climbing. The QTE's weren't over the top at all.

If anything I was disappointed that the game was over when it was over, I just wanted more, and unlike uncharted I actually really enjoyed the combat... I don't know why but I just hate the combat in Uncharted and number 3 had just way to much Combat to Platforming balance. I put this above all of the Uncharted games for my personal like of gaming... but now I'm starved for more like this and there just aren't that many games like this out there.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest thing that excites me about the future Tomb Raider games is all that extended memory and processing capacity that will allow such huge areas and more things added so the level design is going to be truly something wonderful, just going by the hub areas on this generation hardware alone. With the foundations already placed they should definitley make the exploration and open up level design the main focus of whatever Island is next and have bigger tombs (more of them please!) included, with the set pieces being more grandular and working for the story and not the other way around. Also add onto the stealth more <3
They've got all the blue print already laid out from this game and now they can just expanded and polish it more to fit the Lara we know for her tomb adventures. So excited.

I don't think it'd be feasible to handcraft a bunch of zones larger than the Mountain Village/Beach without costing a ton or taking a whole lot of time.

I want some better enclosed areas, perhaps even... a tomb

Bladenic

I just finished on my first time through with 95% completion.

I'm so not going back and searching for those 'totem' style things though.

All in all I've got to say the whole 'Uncharted' direction for Tomb Raider couldn't please me more and I almost so enjoyed the game that I put it up there with one of my favorites of all time.

I played on PC with all the settings cranked to full and it was a visual spectacular. My god the
scene where she climbs the radio tower is one of the most vertigo inducing things I've ever experience in a game
, but fuck me was it mesmerisingly beautiful.

I also love the quips that she makes at the enemies when you're fighting them like "come and get me you bastards" in her accent, it's so awesome. And they say something like "oh my god she's killing us all" and she replies. Or they say "kill her" and she replies "give it your best shot you bastards". Shit like that just amps up the fight scenes and makes them so much more enjoyable.

I found the controls to be fantastic and it was all very enjoyable, loved the ropes, love the rock climbing. The QTE's weren't over the top at all.

If anything I was disappointed that the game was over when it was over, I just wanted more, and unlike uncharted I actually really enjoyed the combat... I don't know why but I just hate the combat in Uncharted and number 3 had just way to much Combat to Platforming balance. I put this above all of the Uncharted games for my personal like of gaming... but now I'm starved for more like this and there just aren't that many games like this out there.

Absolutely loved that spoiler part you mentioned. I also absolutely love some of the zipline moments when you're hanging off them and can look down and around and see how high up you really are or whatever. Pretty breathtaking at times. The game really is a visual splendor.

Underworld was incredibly clunky in tight spots, a legacy that continued from the earlier games!

Although I really liked it overall, it had it's fair share of annoyances (underwater sections and the entirety of the final level).

The streamlining of the platforming is very welcome to me; not as ridiculous as Uncharted (press forward to Sonic) nor as frustrating as previous Tomb Raiders.

Top Bottom