• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dr Dogg

- This game easily has some of the best level design since Resident Evil 4. The large maps, puzzle designs, diverse environments/levels within a single locale, etc were all very Resident Evil 4-esque and the game was better because of it.

You know what I couldn't quite put my finger on it why Mathias felt so familiar. Funny that now you mention RE 4 I can see a lot more subtle influences.

TripOpt55

I think there might be some options between "no-skill-required guided experience" and "broken camera and controls cheap death extravaganza." Nobody's asking for QWOP: The Platformer. Make the level design interesting beyond visually. Make it more dynamic in a non-linear way; let players look around and figure out how to tackle the obstacles.

More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37C5MeJfRvY#t=10m53s

Anni's St Francis' Folly is where it's at. That is what Crystal Dynamics needs to look at when trying to get the sequel on track. I think you take this new game's structure, but replace the setpiece stuff with tombs like that and you'd have something both sides could be happy with. This game just really feels like it threw the baby out with the bathwater. Updating the combat and presentation makes sense. Even changing it up to a more singular location and adding the gear-gating stuff (which should have been pushed further, but that is a whole other discussion) I can see being a good idea. But they could have easily kept the traditional core of challenging platforming and puzzling in there and they did not. That's what bugs me the most I think. They could have achieved most of what they wanted with this reboot without losing what made the series so special.

HYDE

Banned
Came in to say my only disappointment was that the game ended. I felt that the final showdown was basically as simple as the 1st Uncharted...with Navarro at the end. I expect great things in TR2 except I want it on PS4.

Clockwork5

I think there might be some options between "no-skill-required guided experience" and "broken camera and controls cheap death extravaganza." Nobody's asking for QWOP: The Platformer. Make the level design interesting beyond visually. Make it more dynamic in a non-linear way; let players look around and figure out how to tackle the obstacles.

More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37C5MeJfRvY#t=10m53s

Oh, I dont really disagree with you. Im just saying that of all the changes that games have seen in this gen, auto jumping is one that I am fairly ok with.

That clip of Anniversary looks fun, ill be honest though, something like that I would have to be in the right mindset to enjoy. The new TR is more of a pick up and play anytime game, imo. Granted it is not terribly original and you could fill that void with a number of other similar titles, while few if any current games really do what the original TR excelled at. So i get the disappointment from fans of of the series, but I would probably have never played this if it stuck to the old TR formula.

Dr Dogg

Came in to say my only disappointment was that the game ended. I felt that the final showdown was basically as simple as the 1st Uncharted...with Navarro at the end. I expect great things in TR2 except I want it on PS4.

Simple? Yes but
dual wielding 2 pistols and unloading as fast as you can into Mathias was massive fan service from the Tomb Raider of yester-year.
Brought a smile to my face at least.

Dr Dogg

It was better to me than just another bullet sponge.

Well by about a third in I was using the bow almost all the time and being a bit too cocky with the dodge counter and finishers. Even on hard countering was way over powered but oh so satifying especially when you've got a couple of guys up close and 3 others peppering you with arrows but take them all down without a scratch.
Then give myself a self congratulatory high five only to fuck up a traversal QTE and died a not so amazing death.
Loved Lara's change of dialogue towards the end which harked back to Spec Ops for me but hey you've talked that game up to death.

Finished the game off today. Got all the single player achievements except for three (secret one, zip line kills, and incapacitate 25 enemies - pretty sure I did this but it won't pop, whatever). Not really interested in the multiplayer so didn't touch it at all. Really enjoyed everything about it. Only real slight negative was that I got that boat glitch and had to glitch my way through what should've opened. Only took about 10 minutes to finally get it right but, other than that, smooth sailing. Really looking forward to a sequel.

Nori Chan

OKbjTgX.jpg

100% with the game and I absolutely loved it. Kinda regret renting it but I did finish it so quickly so it's okay. I'm gonna start working on the MP achievements to truly finish off the game. Gonna be such a grind to get to the 3rd prestige :\

antitrop

I only got 23/50 of the achievement on Steam, without purposefully attempting to unlock any specific one.

The fact that there is no point value assigned to each achievement and no overarching "gamer score" to your account is lame as fuck. No reason to give any shit about Achievements without the arbitrary point system.

angelfly

I only got 23/50 of the achievement on Steam, without purposefully attempting to unlock any specific one.

The fact that there is no point value assigned to each achievement and no overarching "gamer score" to your account is lame as fuck. No reason to give any shit about Achievements without the arbitrary point system.

I actually think that's the best part of steams achievement implementation.

antitrop

It's only an overwhelming negative to me. It completely removes any incentive to "achievement hunt".

I had fun getting up to 50,000 something points on Xbox Live before I started focusing on the PC as my primary gaming platform several years ago.

Steam might as well not even have Achievements at all the way it is now.

It's only an overwhelming negative to me. It completely removes any incentive to "achievement hunt".

I had fun getting up to 50,000 something points on Xbox Live before I started focusing on the PC as my primary gaming platform several years ago.

Steam might as well not even have Achievements at all the way it is now.

So the points on their own are meaningless, the achievements on their own are meaningless, but somehow together they are meaningful?

Derrick01

Banned

It's the worst since it doesn't do anything in place of the gamercard, it's just subtracting a feature for no real reason. Steam's achievement list is probably the most half assed out of all of the big ones, even ios from what I'm told.

antitrop

So the points on their own are meaningless, the achievements on their own are meaningless, but somehow together they are meaningful?
Because of the way Microsoft chooses to implement an overarching aggregate score to each user's profile on Xbox Live. (Or Sony, where they show you the aggregate number of each type of Trophy achieved).

It's something that's readily obvious to anyone who views your profile. Achievements on Steam mean absolutely nothing, as they are not properly integrated into the profile. Obviously on purpose, but I think it's a negative.

I don't even know why they're there at all if there's no aggregation.

I replayed the first hour today as I'm looking to get through the game in a good close sitting, and genuinely do not understand some of the dislike I've seen for it - it sets the tone very well, introduces mechanics gradually and generally has good pacing with a variety of environments.

ManeKast

You don't understand the difference between what it means to look at someone's Gamercard and see a score of 4,350 and what it means to see 76,525?

Please, elaborate, what does it mean? I could and never have cared less, noticed at all or ever cared about anyones gamerscore. What should I feel when I see 76,525?

Derrick01

Banned
Please, elaborate, what does it mean? I could and never have cared less, noticed at all or ever cared about anyones gamerscore. What should I feel when I see 76,525?

Generally someone who puts more time into games than someone else, considering how most games have achievements for doing just about everything a game offers now.

PedroLumpy said:
Well it says they played a lot of games. A Steam profile & Achievements can tell you the same thing though.

Nope. Because there's no aggregate or total for Steam achievements you have to manually search on a per game basis. You can't click on a profile or gamercard and have it show a list of games.

You don't understand the difference between what it means to look at someone's Gamercard and see a score of 4,350 and what it means to see 76,525?

Well it says they played a lot of games. A Steam profile & Achievements can tell you the same thing though. I still don't see how totaling meaningless points adds something.

angelfly

why would that be the best part?

Probably since I don't actively set out to complete achievements and just see them as marks of things you've accomplished in a game. Attaching score just turns it into a competition and epeen contest with people going out of their way to increase the score. Things like people rushing out to buy Avatar and Hanna Montana are examples of it.

antitrop

That guy plays a lot of video games.

That is literally it. That's the entire thing.

To some people, showing the world that they "play a lot of video games" is an important thing. Some people consider their post count on internet forums an important numerical digit. Or their Karma score on Reddit.

I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about why people like to acquire points to show other people on the internet.

It is literally bragging. A high gamerscore is the equivalent of running around in Fable II and showing all the villagers the head of the bandit you just murdered.

antitrop

Well it says they played a lot of games. A Steam profile & Achievements can tell you the same thing though. I still don't see how totaling meaningless points adds something.

Because no one gives a shit enough to dig through someone's Steam profile and look at all the individual achievements for each game. The process to do so is ridiculous.

With a gamerscore you can see one single number and instantly get a general idea about a person's gaming habits. It's a numerical representation of their gaming dedication. Steam has no such thing.

Even my Battle.net profile has a numerical digit of all my achievements for StarCraft II. Steam is pretty much the only service that doesn't, and I consider that a negative.

I feel like this game kind of drags on too long at the end. At least, what I thought was the end apparently ended up being the middle.

Haha, I thought the middle was the end as well when I played through. I kept thinking it was going to end any second and I was going to be really disappointed because I wanted more. Luckily I was completely wrong and still had plenty of hours of game left.

I didn't think it dragged on, but I definitely thought the end was approaching when I was about halfway through.

harSon said:
I loved the automated cover system, and hope more games adopt it in the future.

So much this. The cover system is so good. No button presses to activate it, no gravitating towards walls and snapping to them, no sliding along them unnaturally. Just pure, natural and smooth.

That guy plays a lot of video games.

That is literally it. That's the entire thing.

To some people, showing the world that they "play a lot of video games" is an important thing. Some people consider their post count on internet forums an important numerical digit. Or their Karma score on Reddit.

I'm not sure what's difficult to understand about why people like to acquire points to show other people on the internet.

It is literally bragging. A high gamerscore is the equivalent of running around in Fable II and showing all the villagers the head of the bandit you just murdered.

Steam Profile/Achievments don't accomplish this?

Anyway, reddit Karma is probably just as meaningless as gamerscore, not sure why that's justification.

I get the appeal of having a badge or whatever saying you did something. Just not the arbitrary point value attached. Which is what you were talking about in regards to Steam achievements vs gamerscore.

Nope. Because there's no aggregate or total for Steam achievements you have to manually search on a per game basis. You can't click on a profile or gamercard and have it show a list of games.

Pretty sure you can actually get a list of games. I'm looking at my brothers list of 123 games right now.

As noted many times here already the game draws inspiration from lots of other titles, but the overwhelming vibe I got took me back to RE4. The atmosphere, the enemies, even the level design and architecture really reminded me of that game. I think this was one of the things that sucked me into the experience at the beginning. Overall a very pleasant surprise and one of the best titles I've played this year.

this. 6-7 hrs in, & tomb raider feels much more 'survival horror' than it does uncharted to me. i'm having a good time, but this's absolutely a 'lara croft' game, & not a tomb raider game, which i'm kinda doubting we'll ever see another of, unfortunately (unless maybe someone else does something similar)...

antitrop

Steam Profile/Achievments don't accomplish this?

Anyway, reddit Karma is probably just as meaningless as gamerscore, not sure why that's justification.

I get the appeal of having a badge or whatever saying you did something. Just not the arbitrary point value attached. Which is what you were talking about in regards to Steam achievements vs gamerscore.

Your missing my point in the ease of viewing individual achievements for individual games (i.e., nobody will make the effort to do so, therefore nobody will ever see them) vs an overall score being readily apparent at the basic level of viewing one person's profile.

If you click on someone's name in Xbox Live and go to the basic profile page, the Gamerscore is proudly on display right next to the account name. It gives an immediate representation of the person's dedication to achievements.

To get the same idea for a Steam user's dedication, you have to start clicking through menus.

Even just a display of the total number of Steam achievements that have been acquired (disregarding an arbitrary numerical value attached to each individual achievement) proudly displayed next to the name on the Steam profile would be a huge start.

They could easily implement something like this very easily if they wanted to, it's not like Valve is incompetent. I'm sure the way Achievements are handled on Steam right now is on purpose, I just disagree with their vision.

Also, I wasn't using Reddit Karma as a "justification" for an overarching score tied to your account, just merely as an example of the things people are willing to do to raise a numerical value to show other people. It's deeply psychological... and even slightly pathological.

Your missing my point in the ease of viewing individual achievements for individual games (i.e., nobody will make the effort to do so, therefore nobody will ever see them) vs an overall score being readily apparent at the basic level of viewing one person's profile.

If you click on someone's name in Xbox Live and go to the basic profile page, the Gamerscore is proudly on display right next to the account name. It gives an immediate representation of the person's dedication to achievements.

To get the same idea for a Steam user's dedication, you have to start clicking through menus.

Even just a display of the total number of Steam achievements that have been acquired (disregarding an arbitrary numerical value attached to each individual achievement) proudly displayed next to the name on the Steam profile would be a huge start.

They could easily implement something like this very easily if they wanted to, it's not like Valve is incompetent. I'm sure the way Achievements are handled on Steam right now is on purpose, I just disagree with their vision.

Also, I wasn't using Reddit Karma as a "justification" for an overarching score tied to your account, just merely as an example of the things people are willing to do to raise a numerical value to show other people. It's deeply psychological... and even slightly pathological.

So technically not the score itself, but in how the score is a means to quickly identify how much gaming someones done?

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty sure you can actually get a list of games. I'm looking at my brothers list of 123 games right now.

If there is then there's no obvious way to see it. I took a look at my friend's profile page and there was nothing there. I had to click on his games list button (which is 1 very tiny line on the right side) and then on his list of games I had to click the tiny view stats button under a game to bring up his achievement progress just for that game.

That's way too much BS for achievements. That's why Steam fails at them compared to ps3/360.

antitrop

So technically not the score itself, but in how the score is a means to quickly identify how much gaming someones done?
Essentially, yes.

But before you whip out a screenshot of the part of the Steam profile where it assign a score from 1-10 with 1 decimal place to the amount of hours played in a week (Steam Rating), that doesn't count. It's about the achievements/accomplishments, not solely the time invested.

Essentially, yes.

But before you whip out a screenshot of the part of the Steam profile where it assign a score from 1-10 with 1 decimal place to the amount of hours played in a week (Steam Rating), that doesn't count. It's about the achievements/accomplishments, not solely the time invested.

That answer works for me, no screenshots I promise.

If there is then there's no obvious way to see it. I took a look at my friend's profile page and there was nothing there. I had to click on his games list button (which is 1 very tiny line on the right side) and then on his list of games I had to click the tiny view stats button under a game to bring up his achievement progress just for that game.

That's way too much BS for achievements. That's why Steam fails at them compared to ps3/360.

Well I'm not sure if it'll cover what you're looking for, but just so you know what I'm talking about. From the profile page, there's an 'Actions' box with a couple options in it. Click 'Games (XXX)', and then the 'All Games' tab. I'd give you a screenshot to make it clearer but....

antitrop

It's fairly simple to get to a Steam page that looks like this:

EXCEPT THAT IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY ACHIEVEMENTS. That screen is literally the perfect place to put achievements, and Steam just doesn't give a shit.

Emwitus

Gaddang. I feel like i'm playing an fps with this game. The camera movement is jerky and hectic giving me terrible headaches. Returned it after an hour. Can you adjust the field of view for the pc version or is it just as bad?

antitrop

Gaddang. I feel like i'm playing an fps with this game. The camera movement is jerky and hectic giving me terrible headaches. Returned it after an hour. Can you adjust the field of view for the pc version or is it just as bad?
FOV options in a third person game are not standard on PC.
Some games allow the use of Flawless Widescreen to zoom out the FOV (DmC, recently), but the program does not have support for Tomb Raider at this time.
That usually only works for Unreal 3 games. Perhaps an FOV mod may be available down the road, but I doubt it.

That said, the 60 frames per second on PC might go a long way towards assuaging your issues. Butter smooth.

Emwitus

FOV options in a third person game are not standard on PC.
Some games allow the use of Flawless Widescreen to zoom out the FOV (DmC, recently), but the program does not have support for Tomb Raider at this time.
That usually only works for Unreal 3 games. Perhaps an FOV mod may be available down the road, but I doubt it.

That said, the 60 frames per second on PC might go a long way towards assuaging your issues. Butter smooth.

Thanks anti. Seems like i might resort to watching youtube story clips. I loved the atmosphere but it isn't worth the headache

pargonta

i'm not sure where to post this, but i flipped it to conan on tbs during a commercial of a basketball game and it appears camilla luddington will be a guest later on tonights show.

i've decided not to play tomb raider on the principle of not supporting homogenization and omnipresent action in AAA game development, but itll be interesting to see camilla on a talk show.

edit: appearance info:
she wore a short black v neck dress with heels
conan talked about dying a lot when he played it
she talked about doing death vo
some talk about old character design v new character design in terms of cuteness
conan asked how she is in such great shape
she does the zombie run app, sometimes at night
nominated for maxim hot 100, just some thoughts about that
end
..if anyone is wondering.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh wow, just now noticed that during one of the loading screen tips it mentions that the game autosaves your salvage, relics, documents, and Food...

I guess if you needed definitive proof that provisions/rations were originally in the game...there you have it.

Finally getting back to this after a rough few days at work. This thing is a plodding mess right now, and I'm having a hard time pushing myself to deal with a weapon spoiler
grenade launcher
that can't seem to kill someone 3 feet away.

Finally getting back to this after a rough few days at work. This thing is a plodding mess right now, and I'm having a hard time pushing myself to deal with a grenade launcher that can't seem to kill someone 3 feet away.

The grenade launcher isn't a close-range weapon, though. You'll have more luck if you only use it at a distance. And try to account for the potential bounce of the grenade when aiming.

antitrop

i'm not sure where to post this, but i flipped it to conan on tbs during a commercial of a basketball game and it appears camilla luddington will be a guest later on tonights show.

i've decided not to play tomb raider on the principle of not supporting homogenization and omnipresent action in AAA game development, but itll be interesting to see camilla on a talk show.

edit: appearance info:
she wore a short black v neck dress with heels
conan talked about dying a lot when he played it
she talked about doing death vo
some talk about old character design v new character design in terms of cuteness
conan asked how she is in such great shape
she does the zombie run app, sometimes at night
nominated for maxim hot 100, just some thoughts about that
end
..if anyone is wondering.

I saw her Californication scenes on Reddit this morning, she deserves that top 100 spot.

B-Dex

Oh wow, just now noticed that during one of the loading screen tips it mentions that the game autosaves your salvage, relics, documents, and Food...

I guess if you needed definitive proof that provisions/rations were originally in the game...there you have it.

Food is those fruit bushes you get xp from.

So I just started playing this game and haven't read many posts on this thread but I'd just like to give my thoughts so far. Right now I currently
just got the upgraded rock climber from some old dude (I don't remember equipment or people's names yet).

So far I'm not liking the constant moans and groans of Lara even if its supposed to be realistic in a sense. Also all the QTE's are getting on my nerves. I haven't seen this many QTE's ever since FF13-2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi. I'd have to say that I died twice sue to QTE's so far. I'm playing the PC version but has anyone else encountered a glitch where Lara's hair disappears and her ponytail's gone.

After those minor annoyance's I'm liking the game. I've never played a Tomb Raider game before and this game feels like Uncharted a lot, which I like. I can't say much about Lara's character that much since I'm still in the beginning except that she moans... a lot. So overall I'm liking the game so far.

Top Bottom