• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dat ending. Loved the boat scene, ready for next-gen sequel.

Fantastic game overall with just a few things I'd change. Having the TR series revitalized and having more Uncharted next gen excites me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Lord, I was playing in some game with randoms who were around 30-40 in rank... all they did was jump, shoot, jump, shoot... the only kills I got in that game were from traps and grenades I think, maybe one or two kills with the rifle. I'm kinda crap at aiming but I've won alot of FFA games but that match just showed how easy it was not to get killed by just jumping around... so I've started doing it whenever I'm close to dying and I survive most of the time.

Haha I know. It kinda reminds me of Uncharted 3 multiplayer actually, which is one of the reasons I disliked that game. Except this game is so janky that I just can't be angry at it, whereas Uncharted 3 was actually trying to present a well polished multiplayer suite.

That's an interesting strategy though, to alternate jumping and firing. Maybe I'll give that a shot sometime.

I love it when Lara changes her pose when enemies are around and the use of cover, as if she's actually trying to be careful.

Her animations when she's in combat are by far my favorite thing about this game. She just looks so...predatory.

Skilletor

I was impressed when I saw Altair do it walking by people, walls, things in AC1. Not so much now. Just seems...common. Didn't even notice it.

Salaadin

First time I saw that I was like whoah. It's a simple thing, but it just makes you feel like your character actually inhabits the world you're seeing.

I like it too but there are some moments where she gets too touchy feely with the environment. It reminded me of that one guy complaining about how Drake puts his hands on everything too.

There was a moment in the game where Im running up some circular platform or stairs (I dont remember) and she just puts her hand on the wall. It doesnt even look like shes touching the wall and her hand just sorta glides along it. It made me laugh.

Isaccard

Beat the game, Loved it. Unfortunate (but not surprising) the loud minorities didin't like it but that's expected and is always what makes the OT's enjoyable to read.

I'd say Uncharted 2 has the edge over this for me personally, but TR was good in it's own right. Much more open exploration than the former. Shame about the poorly written stereotypical support characters which bring a pretty eh story down even further, which, while not great in it's own right it isin't as "LOL" as some people make it out to be. It was by no means some deep rich narrative, but it gave you an objective, and explained why there were dude's on the island, etc. It did what it was meant to do and nothing more. The complaints in that regard are definitely hyperbole, but opinions.

Good game. Will dabble with multiplayer maybe

IzzyF3

The major difference being how TR's design is more Batman AA or "Metroidvania" than anything. I personally think that those kinds of games are much better paced and conveys size and scale much better than jumping around the world in a level to level basis. Because of this, TR almost beats Uncharted by default for me. Not only is the platforming on par with Uncharted, but even the game structure is on par with Batman AA, all wrapped in the beautiful art design of TR.

Speaking of the next TR, I really hope it doesn't follow Batman AC and go open world. Open world really messed up the pacing and overall tenseness that Batman AA had.

Skilletor

The major difference being how TR's design is more Batman AA or "Metroidvania" than anything. I personally think that those kinds of games are much better paced and conveys size and scale much better than jumping around the world in a level to level basis. Because of this, TR almost beats Uncharted by default for me. Not only is the platforming on par with Uncharted, but even the game structure is on par with Batman AA, all wrapped in the beautiful art design of TR.

Speaking of the next TR, I really hope it doesn't follow Batman AC and go open world. Open world really messed up the pacing and overall tenseness that Batman AA had.

People keep saying this, but it's not really true. There are very few areas you can go back to with your new gear, but it's not necessary to progress the story. It's not a central mechanic. In fact, it's almost arbitrary. The game introduces a new weapon for you, you immediately have to use it, and from that point on you'll run in to areas where you'll have to use this weapon. You never get to a point in the story where you need something, have to go somewhere else to get it, and come back to progress the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I don't remember many real metroidvania type situations in the game, at least none that weren't in the immediate area I was in. Hell I only had to fast travel once in the game to hit a secret tomb that I missed, other than that I finished the game with 95% with no other backtracking.

That's not what I think of when I think of the metroidvania formula.

CoolS

Just finished it. I really liked it.

I'm dreaming of a (maybe standalone) DLC that just gives us a small area which leads to a big tomb to explore. I loved the small optional tombs in the game and having a big, few hours long one would be amazing. You can even throw some enemies in there, since I loved the combat in this for the most part.

Bow all the way!

antitrop

Yeah I don't remember many real metroidvania type situations in the game, at least none that weren't in the immediate area I was in. Hell I only had to fast travel once in the game to hit a secret tomb that I missed, other than that I finished the game with 95% with no other backtracking.

That's not what I think of when I think of the metroidvania formula.

I also don't really agree with the Metroidvania comparisons. Tomb Raider does not fit the formula nearly as well as something like Arkham Asylum, or even City.

Very little backtracking is required, or even expected, unless you want 100% (nearly pointless). I did end up fast travelling back to the beginning of the game once near the end in order to use the new ability of the bow for traversal, but it was minor, unnecessary, and entirely my choice to do so.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was impressed when I saw Altair do it walking by people, walls, things in AC1. Not so much now. Just seems...common. Didn't even notice it.

I don't recall AC games doing it for walls, just people. TR actually does it very well, I had a few cool moments where she was crouched on a staircase with her hand pressed against the side of a staircase and it looked surprisingly natural.

Uncharted 3 also had this but ND completely screwed it up and made Drake look like a drunken idiot who had a constant wall touching fetish.

IzzyF3

People keep saying this, but it's not really true. There are very few areas you can go back to with your new gear, but it's not necessary to progress the story. It's not a central mechanic. In fact, it's almost arbitrary. The game introduces a new weapon for you, you immediately have to use it, and from that point on you'll run in to areas where you'll have to use this weapon. You never get to a point in the story where you need something, have to go somewhere else to get it, and come back to progress the game.

It's just what they call "modern" game design, which means if the game makes you backtrack then it'll get a lower score. It's still the same structure, just minus the backtracking, although you can argue that backtracking is a part of metroidvania. I don't think it's required though.

antitrop

The whole point of a Metroidvania game is that it takes place in one large open world, with many of the important story locations (i.e., necessary to move the story forward and complete the game) locked behind certain arbitrary barriers that the player must first acquire a specific item to get past.

Tomb Raider doesn't do this. It never even comes close.

Breaking the barrier with a Shotgun to pick up a GPS tracker does not count.

Schlomo

"Metroidvania" design requires some sort of open world which this Tomb Raider doesn't have. The "Fast Travel" option might as well be called "Replay Levels" because most of the time there is no "slow" way of getting back to an earlier area. Whenever I used Fast Travel I felt like I was doing something "non-canonical" that doesn't fit with the flow of the game and its story.

Slacker

Finished it just in time for Starcraft 2 HOTS. Loved it way more than anticipated. Looking forward to revisiting the game once the Nvidia issues are sorted, although I was able to play on Ultra at 1080p without any issues (GF 660Ti) - all settings maxed aside from shampooFX. I'll let them update the drivers before exploring for collection stuff just to see if it looks any different.

My goods and bads:

+ Loved the combat. All of the weapons were satisfying to use. Cover system was awesome.
+ The visuals were outstanding across the board. Sound was great too.
+ I really liked the character development with Lara. I thought her progression in the game made perfect sense.
+ Loved the optional dungeons, could have used a few more.
+ Nice touch at the very end of the game with the
dual pistols
+ The story was decent. Could have been better with a little more suspense/intrigue tossed in there though.
- The supporting cast was weak, especially their dialogue.
- The main baddie was a bit cartoony and under-developed.
- The length of the game is acceptable, but I'd like for a game this good to shoot for a little better than acceptable. A couple more hours of exploration and story-development would have been awesome.

Overall I loved it. Can't wait for the sequel.

KorrZ

I think I'm closing in on the end of the game... I'm just about to
Get on the boat to head to the Ritual Chamber after Sam and Whitman
Am I close?

I'm really absolutely adoring this game, I can't even comprehend the hate it's getting from some members here
except for those who seem to hate 90% of everything, Derrick/Ami
. Great game, leaps and bounds above anything the Uncharted series has done. There a bit few and far between but I really appreciate that every few hours theres a nice wide open area to explore.

The story and characters have kept me enthralled and the combat feels great. I've used nothing but the bow/melee all game (except for the rare occasions when I run out of ammo and have to use a gun) and it's my favourite recent implementation of a bow. There was this great moment for me playing in a nice dark open forest area I was able to sneak around the bushes and up in the trees stealth killing every single enemy with the bow.

Definitely my front runner for GOTY.

Slacker

I think I'm closing in on the end of the game... I'm just about to
Get on the boat to head to the Ritual Chamber after Sam and Whitman
Am I close?
Yes you are near the end.

Is the game playable yet for Nvidia users? Bought it at launch and I still haven't been able to play it fully....

Seems hit or miss. Worked perfectly for me, through results are not typical. If you can handle the wait I'd maybe wait for the next driver update and see what happens.

Fabrik

Banned
Tomb Raider has better combat, much better atmosphere, better controls (dat automatic cover system!), better platforming (allowing Lara to move direction when jumping is fantastic as is her sense of weight), better level design, better sound design, pacing right up there with Uncharted 2 and is much better at letting you explore with more open areas. It feels more 'gamey' if that makes any sense. And to be perfectly honest....the graphics at certain points impress me just as much as Uncharted 3 did. The art style goes a long way in Tomb Raider and is GOD TIER!

The atmosphere + level design is also on par with Resident Evil 4 to me.

harSon

Banned
Is the game playable yet for Nvidia users? Bought it at launch and I still haven't been able to play it fully....

I didn't know there was a problem with Nvidia cards until I read it yesterday. I'm about 2-3 missions from the end of the game, and am playing on a GeForce GTX 275, and it has played like an absolute dream thus far. Not a single glitch or crash. I guess it's newer cards?

Absolutely loved the game, finished it in about 20 (took my sweet time)

However, when i was done i was begging for a new game plus mode, was really thinking that if they would have put resources into that instead of in the mp it would have made the title that much better. They could have put in new enemy types, weapons, even puzzles here and there, change time of day, score mode, etc.

Crossing my fingers they do stuff like that on the next one.

Arklite

what the hell Lara? she couldn't kiss
Alex
on the mouth right before
his self scarify
?

Eh, the cheek was enough considering she still had to finish the job, and anyway I was half expecting Lara to get a kiss from
Sam after the entire damsel in distress scenario and princess carry ALL the way back down the island.

LQX

Played it nearly maxed out on 670. Turn off "exclusive fullscreen", I could not even launch this game with this enabled). And TressHair looked great but you get better performance with it off.

Grimsen

I'm not done with the game yet, probably 2/3 in, but I'm loving this shit.

Psycho Lara is best Lara.

Definitely a keeper in my game collection.

I do disagree with Amir0x on this bit. To me, the wall touching stuff Lara does is a lot less distracting than how ND implemented it in Uncharted. Maybe I'm wrong, but Lara's hand doesn't go robot apeshit if you wiggle her by a wall. Drake's did.

Now, Lara's weapon switching animation is hilariously animatronic though.

Skilletor

I have a GTX570 and haven't had a single issue other than some leaves in the last area I'm in flickering from black to green.

I do disagree with Amir0x on this bit. To me, the wall touching stuff Lara does is a lot less distracting than how ND implemented it in Uncharted. Maybe I'm wrong, but Lara's hand doesn't go robot apeshit if you wiggle her by a wall. Drake's did.

Now, Lara's weapon switching animation is hilariously animatronic though.

I haven't played much Uncharted, but Drake's transitional animations seemed to cause a lot of the oddities for me. everything before and after looked good until he went from doing one type of thing to another. I didn't notice anything here. It was serviceable. It definitely wasn't bad, but I never saw anything in TR that made me think twice about it.

antitrop

I have a GTX570 and haven't had a single issue other than some leaves in the last area I'm in flickering from black to green.
I have a 590 and played the entire game almost entirely at 60fps near-maxed with TressFX, Exclusive Fullscreen, and Tessellation on, not one single crash. I never even had to use the "Hitman" fix, either. The first patch wasn't released until I was already 2 hours away from the ending of the game.

The Nvidia problems have always been with the 600 series from the start, 500 series is fine.

The only actual problem I had was that the game was unplayable with TressFX and MSAA on at the same time, but turning AA off in-game and using Nvidia Injector for SGSSAA allowed me to have 60fps, with AA and TressFX, without having to use the God awful FXAA.

AllenShrz

Finally beat it. The first Tomb Raider that I finish and like, the other ones were "meh" at best.

Tressfx is fantastic, I want this in all my games now. I couldn't help but to wish that everyone in the game had it too, other characters stand out badly by the lack of Tressfx.

The game had good graphics, but for the people that said that are better than Crysis, guys guys are blind.

A ATI 7970 was enough to keep the game at 55 fps at minimum, tessellation off, the rest ultra and with FXAA.

Enjoyable but still Uncharted 2 and 3 are better.

Skilletor

I have a 590 and played the entire game almost entirely at 60fps near-maxed with TressFX, Exclusive Fullscreen, and Tessellation on, not one single crash. I never even had to use the "Hitman" fix, either. The first patch wasn't released until I was already 2 hours away from the ending of the game.

The Nvidia problems have always been with the 600 series from the start, 500 series is fine.

The only actual problem I had was that the game was unplayable with TressFX and MSAA on at the same time, but turning AA off in-game and using Nvidia Injector for SGSSAA allowed me to have 60fps, with AA and TressFX, without having to use the God awful FXAA.

I'll have to try that. I can't run TressFX at all.

Alright, this thread has convinced me to go ahead and rent Tomb Raider from redbox this weekend. I've never played a game in the series or touched Uncharted but from the reviews I've seen and reactions in this thread, I've decided to give it a try. One question though to those of you who have beaten the campaign, roughly how long does it last on the "normal" difficulty setting?

antitrop

Alright, this thread has convinced me to go ahead and rent Tomb Raider from redbox this weekend. I've never played a game in the series or touched Uncharted but from the reviews I've seen and reactions in this thread, I've decided to give it a try. One question though to those of you who have beaten the campaign, roughly how long does it last on the "normal" difficulty setting?
I achieved 84% completion in ~14 hours on Normal. I might be a bit on the slow side, though. I've seen mentions of 100% at like 12-13 hours.

deim0s

Just finished the game (on Hard and 81% completion). Needs more
zombie samurais
to fight with than a few encounters on just one level. :/

Unless the two on the boat, really wiped the whole army out for Lara's sake!
Lara is prepared to take them all on, seriously.

RagnarokX

The difficulty only affects the amount of damage you take from weapons and the accuracy of AI shots. You can change the difficulty at any time via the pause menu.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I played on Hard and got 100% completion, and I would say it took me a good 15-18 hours. However I actively spent time in each level getting all the collectibles and doing all the challenges. If you ignored those and just followed the main story, I can't see it taking you longer than 8-10 hours.

Amir0x

Banned
Nice to finally read your thoughts on the game.

many here in this thread had a similar feel about the game(I gave it 5/10 ),it's just weird to see professional games reviewers not seeing all the big issues(and there are many) with the game here.

Yeah, yours was a good review. In particular I liked your little exploration diagram and your succinct summary of the various issues. Honestly, this thread has a lot of good perspectives from people who love the game and people who don't, lots of people going to great lengths to really put effort into the analysis. Been a fun topic so far, far more balanced than typical official topics. Wouldn't have expected that prior to release.

spirity

Jeez is this game glitchy (pc). Nothing game-breaking for me, but textures have a habit of completely disappearing. I was watching a friend's lets play yesterday, same shit on the 360.

iU60u4mlSwv6Y.gif

Wow I didn't know the game had that kind of violence lol. Awesome gif

RagnarokX

That is the most disturbing scene in the entire game. Nothing else really comes close to that level of masturbatory excess.

Eh, there are worse/as bad. Lara getting impaled on a polearm by a dude and the hoisted up and the polearm slammed vertically into the ground. Lara having her throat slit while hanging from a snare trap. Getting impaled on a tree branch.

antitrop

Eh, there are worse/as bad. Lara getting impaled on a polearm by a dude and the hoisted up and the polearm slammed vertically into the ground. Lara having her throat slit while hanging from a snare trap. Getting impaled on a tree branch.
Oh, I guess I just didn't die often enough to see any of those.

Amir0x

Banned
Come on Tricky, saying TR has better platforming than Uncharted is like saying getting Herpes is better than terminal cancer. Yeah what a victory.

but that IS a pretty big victory Derrick01 :p

Oh, I guess I just didn't die often enough to see any of those.

pretty hard to die in this game after all!

Haha, maybe someone should do an intentional death run and record all the death animations and put it on youtube. It's so grotesque and dumb >_<

Top Bottom