• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dead

well not really...yet
Just beat the game

The fight against
the oni at the fort
was Fucking amazing. So many waves and so many ways to lure them around the nap to take em out however you want. Some of the best TPS gameplay I've played in a while. Rivals Max Payne 3.

I want them to push combat even more in the next game and have more moments like that. So damn fun.

In fact that is what I want from part 2. I dont want a return to the old games. Screw em. More of this. More open world, more combat, just refine it even further, and make side tombs much more in depth too. Open world ACII style exploration and side content with pure TPS gunplay combat

9/10. One of the most fun games ive played in the past year.

The grenade launcher isn't a close-range weapon, though. You'll have more luck if you only use it at a distance. And try to account for the potential bounce of the grenade when aiming.

Sorry, I meant 3 feet away from where the grenade lands.

I'm shooting in high arcs and having some laughs, I'm really just lamenting the last 3 hours of my time has been 30 minutes of an interesting area sandwiched between what might as well be a slightly more attractive Borderlands for all I'm getting out of it.

Can't stop until I've finished it though, trying to give the game a fair shake.

The grenade launcher isn't a close-range weapon, though. You'll have more luck if you only use it at a distance. And try to account for the potential bounce of the grenade when aiming.
Some parts of the game seem to put an invisible barrier in you way, like
the gun turrets that you can only seem to hit from a predetermined sweet spot maybe 10 feet away. Arc all you want, your shot will never hit.

Leeness

Looooool I don't even know what just happened, I must have run into a weird glitch.

Past the half way mark.

I'm in the burning palace and trying to fight my way out. The audio was skipping a bit for some reason. Then I run out into a courtyard. Some kind of machine gun firing going on. Then a grenade makes invisible fire somewhere...so I climb a wall and slide down a rope. And suddenly a cutscene starts playing, that obviously should have happened beforehand (dude gets behind the machine gun, shoots out the walls, throws the grenade, fire isn't invisible now, etc).

So I go to fight the machine gun guy by following the same path, up the wall, slide down the rope...

But I can't hit the guy. He's invincible or something. When I try to melee him, he's wandering around and doing nothing, when I bring out a gun, he warps back behind the machine gun.

So I try to get myself killed to start again...and Lara is invincible.

So I turned off the PS3.

Lmao. I just hope my game isn't screwed. I haven't turned it back on yet.

jwk94

Oh wow, just now noticed that during one of the loading screen tips it mentions that the game autosaves your salvage, relics, documents, and Food...

I guess if you needed definitive proof that provisions/rations were originally in the game...there you have it.

I wonder how the food would've worked out. Would they have kept the regenerating health and just lowered it's regeneration rate (that could've been upgradeable of course) or would we have gone back to old-school life bars?

So this is the first game I've ever played that says "Tomb Raider" on the box, and wow. This is a freakin' great game. I'm honestly enjoying it more than Uncharted 1 or 3. I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I am.

I played a little bit of multiplayer today and noticed that on the PS3 at least the game takes a huge hit performance wise in multi, firing the machine gun dropped the framerate to sub-10, it felt like. Does the multiplayer chug as much on 360 too?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Looooool I don't even know what just happened, I must have run into a weird glitch.

Past the half way mark.

I'm in the burning palace and trying to fight my way out. The audio was skipping a bit for some reason. Then I run out into a courtyard. Some kind of machine gun firing going on. Then a grenade makes invisible fire somewhere...so I climb a wall and slide down a rope. And suddenly a cutscene starts playing, that obviously should have happened beforehand (dude gets behind the machine gun, shoots out the walls, throws the grenade, fire isn't invisible now, etc).

So I go to fight the machine gun guy by following the same path, up the wall, slide down the rope...

But I can't hit the guy. He's invincible or something. When I try to melee him, he's wandering around and doing nothing, when I bring out a gun, he warps back behind the machine gun.

So I try to get myself killed to start again...and Lara is invincible.

So I turned off the PS3.

Lmao. I just hope my game isn't screwed. I haven't turned it back on yet.

The game stupidly wants you to kill him with the
grenade launcher you just got

I wish they would just let me use the bow in those parts.

EDIT: Dammit, I thought you were talking about another one of those encounters.

Dead

well not really...yet
I wonder how the food would've worked out. Would they have kept the regenerating health and just lowered it's regeneration rate (that could've been upgradeable of course) or would we have gone back to old-school life bars?
Maybe it would have had the regenerating health still, but the more times you took damage in combat (and thus regenerated) you would eventually become weaker over time, start to stumble, and maybe have only one arm to use for your pistol (all animations that are in the main game), thus necessitating food and rations to gather up your strength again?

Its obvious the food would have come from the animals, berries and the orange ration boxes.

Leeness

The game stupidly wants you to kill him with the
grenade launcher you just got

I wish they would just let me use the bow in those parts.

EDIT: Dammit, I thought you were talking about another one of those encounters.

Lol yeah I definitely don't have that weapon yet, unless it glitched away too :p

krae_man

I had an unplayable in game cutscene freeze on me and a skip cutscene button appeared. It's like they knew the game was buggy and programed in a fail safe.

Actually I'm about 1/2 way through and I hadn't encountered any glitches till that point, then I ran into another one shortly after. I picked up a lantern and got stuck running in place next to a wall. Throwing the lantern got me out of it.

Anyway, I love exploring the tombs and love how interconnected the island is. Lots of ways to backtrack quickly with your new abilities.

A stealth section after a 2 hours of combat waves is both welcome and feels a lot better than it really is by comparison.

This is really one of the most confusing and inconsistent things I've played in a long while. It tries to be so many things and ends up without an identity of its own, and it kills the pacing. The presentation is practically bipolar.

jwk94

Maybe it would have had the regenerating health still, but the more times you took damage in combat (and thus regenerated) you would eventually become weaker over time, start to stumble, and maybe have only one arm to use for your pistol (all animations that are in the main game), thus necessitating food and rations to gather up your strength again?

Its obvious the food would have come from the animals, berries and the orange ration boxes.

That sounds like a rather interesting way to implement it. Speaking of berries; what's their current purpose in the game?

Arklite

A stealth section after a 2 hours of combat waves is both welcome and feels a lot better than it really is by comparison.

This is really one of the most confusing and inconsistent things I've played in a long while. It tries to be so many things and ends up without an identity of its own, and it kills the pacing. The presentation is practically bipolar.

I'd say pacing is one of the better things the game has going for it and the three or so action heavy levels take place alongside plot developments, not randomly. Otherwise, the stealth option is firmly rooted throughout the game with the bow. I do remember having shotgun ammo in that 'stealth area.' Take one shot and you'll be in a shootout more in tune with the previous section if you wish.

Dahbomb

The Berries and ration boxes appear to be vestigial elements of a more in depth survival system they had in place along with animal hunting. They clearly scrapped it all and placed it under a generic exp umbrella.

The problem with making a survival game is that it's pointless to make one for a game that spans over the course of a few days at most. Lara could've easily survived that time on just the deer she kills in the start. No shortage of fresh water on the island either. There were more berries, animals and ration boxes on the island that Lara could've lived on for the rest of her life.

Resources need to be actually scarce/limited and time spanning over a longer period of time are the keys to making a proper survival game. Otherwise it just comes off as forced. I want to play a Green Arrow game where you survive on the island for 5 years. Of course the game has to simulate the time in smaller proportions but that's the type of experience I would want to play.

spekkeh

Banned

You clearly haven't played Far Cry 3.

DJMicLuv

i've decided not to play tomb raider on the principle of not supporting homogenization and omnipresent action in AAA game development.

Good for you! You're really showing it to those big shots! If only everyone was as dedicated to the cause games might, at last, start being seen as the highest form of art that they unquestionably are with no place for action and where only the truly unique deserves to exist. The gaming Gods surely smile upon you for your steadfast dedication to changing the landscape of video gaming forever and hastening a future where gamers such as ourselves will no longer be viewed as immature and childish and will, instead, be treated with the respect that the hobby we defend so determinedly deserves.

Meanwhile, I'm 3/4 of the way through the game and having a fucking great time.

Arklite

The Berries and ration boxes appear to be vestigial elements of a more in depth survival system they had in place along with animal hunting. They clearly scrapped it all and placed it under a generic exp umbrella.

The problem with making a survival game is that it's pointless to make one for a game that spans over the course of a few days at most. Lara could've easily survived that time on just the deer she kills in the start. No shortage of fresh water on the island either. There were more berries, animals and ration boxes on the island that Lara could've lived on for the rest of her life.

Resources need to be actually scarce/limited and time spanning over a longer period of time are the keys to making a proper survival game. Otherwise it just comes off as forced. I want to play a Green Arrow game where you survive on the island for 5 years. Of course the game has to simulate the time in smaller proportions but that's the type of experience I would want to play.

I think MGS3 pulled off some survival aspects with a similar short time frame. It had abundant wildlife and the effects of hunger would show up maybe once or twice an hour, perhaps more frequently if Snake did a lot of climbing. This could have worked similarly in TR such as hunger inflicting a slower running pace over time, shaky aim, slightly delayed controller reaction, weaker bow shots.

There was flora and fauna everywhere in MGS3 as there is in this game, making it unobtrusive (since food was everywhere) but not pointless as you still had to hunt at certain points. Making resources more scarce would in TR would skew the game into another direction. Not a bad thing but ultimately Crystal Dynamics were definitely going for the survival theme rather than survival sim.

ksdixon

First Impressions:
"That's right game, make me charge up a powerful bow and arrow shot, and pit me against fast moving wolves. That's not a recipe for disaster with my poor eyesight and slow reaction times, is it?

LOL. In all seriousness though, TR has immediately 'grabbed me' in a way that none of the classic tomb raiders on PSOne, the demos of the 360 TR games have before, nor the demos of Uncharted 1 & 2 on PS3. With all due respect to Uncharted, I'm not one for lots of shootouts with wave after wave of enemies. Sometimes you can't even clear-out an area because the re-spawn, and you just have to push forward. I hope TR doesn't go that way too much, later in the game."

Later Impressions:
"This game... Best modern game I've played since Binary Domain.

Strange feeling of alternating between The Last Of Us style "oh shit! make every arrow/bullet count!", as well as not having a dedicated cover system, Lara just reacts when close to walls etc - and "Splinter Cell Conviction deniable ops"/"Batman predator room" style picking enemies off one-by-one awesomeness. "What's going on down there? Are you guys OK?" *I immediately shoot the guy off the rope ladder, and laugh hysterically as he falls from the top and screams all the way down.*

I am just about to hang the radio at the top of the tower (no idea how far I have progressed through the game, mind you). Interesting diary pages throughout, seems each area has their own to find. I'll be going back using fast travel to find the ones I've missed, and re-do the challenges I messed-up on and didn't complete."

Just need to know if it's safe to progress, first that I am even able to go back after the 'story' has finished like Batman Arkham Asylum, and secondly if I should take care to go back now before those missing diary pages are useless (if I end-up spoiling myself on what 'dat twist' which I assume is coming through normal campaign progression).

xenist

Just need to know if it's safe to progress, first that I am even able to go back after the 'story' has finished like Batman Arkham Asylum, and secondly if I should take care to go back now before those missing diary pages are useless (if I end-up spoiling myself on what 'dat twist' which I assume is coming through normal campaign progression).

No New Game + but you can go back after finishing to do the collectibles and the challenges.

jwk94

I can't find the last relic in Research Base! I keep following guides and I can't get the first one depicted in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lFTGcpekqo

How do I get to that water location? Fast traveling just brings me straight into the place where there is only one water section and that's outside one of the GPS caches.

plainr_

I think I want to do a second run. This time with TressFX on. I never bothered with it after the initial complaints in this thread.

Toki767

I just finished this. I enjoyed it. Turns out I only had like 30 minutes left from the time I said the game might have dragged on.

Anyways, platforming was great, non (less) bullet sponge enemies were great, Lara pretty much going into auto cover was nice, and the story was fairly enjoyable and well told if you paid no attention to what Lara says while she's killing people in the combat sections.

That said, it doesn't feel as memorable as Uncharted 2, though I'd put it above Uncharted 3. Puzzles didn't even really seem like puzzles so hopefully they can actually add some next game. This was definitely a good start though.

Here's a screenshot I took with TressFX on and most everything maxed out getting like 30fps. It looks like it could be artwork.
BFTTJazCAAAL6LA.jpg:large

vladdamad

around 5-6 hours in, having a pretty good time so far. puzzles are almost non-existant but the world/platforming is cool. quick question, i'm at the
geothermal caverns
at the mo, do i have all the equipment i need to start backtracking for collectibles?

MultiCore

I just finished this.

It's amazing. Way better than I expected. It's certainly not the old Tomb Raider. It's everything I want in a modern action/adventure game though. I find it much more enjoyable than Uncharted, though perhaps not quite as amazing technically. TressFX was neat to look at, but didn't impact the game either way. Her normal hair is just fine. I was in the mid 70's on my completion percentage when I 'finished' it. I'll probably go back for a few more optional tombs.

CD did a great job reinventing Lara, and adapting all the modern tropes into a great TR game. I'm proud of them, and I hope they keep up the good work in the future.

Seeing the credits made me want to send a personal note the the Crystal Dynamics team. I'm nobody to them, but their comment about working hard to deliver the best game they could really struck a chord with me. I want to tell them that I'm moved by their clear passion for the industry, and that they succeeded mightily.

10/10, Would buy again.

crispyben

I was all set to play GoWA during the week my wife's away, but this thread's made me order TR too, and now I kinda wanna start it first... What a big probem to have :)

So I just downloaded an 88MB update on the PS3 (1.02). Apparently these are the patch notes:

MeaganMarie said:
We’re expecting the game to be updated in the next couple of days. It’s possible the PlayStation 3 update may appear slightly before the Xbox 360 one, but we’re trying to get them both out as soon as we can.

[UPDATE 3/14]

We’ve just learned that the patch will go live for PlayStation 3 users outside of Asia tomorrow at some point – this means any territory served by Sony Computer Entertainment America, or Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

We will update further on users in Asia (Sony Computer Entertainment Asia) as soon as we have more news.

The Xbox 360 patch is taking a little longer, but should follow in a few days – sorry for the slight delay.

Thanks a lot for your patience!

So, without further ado, below is the list of fixes for Title Update #2:

Single Player
• Resolved a gating issue in “Cliffside Bunker” caused when the hanging cargo on the stern of the Endurance does not react to your bow rope
• Fixed a second issue in “Cliffside Bunker” where you were unable to pull the hanging cargo due to a missing gear item awarded after the melee fight
• Addressed a rare traversal issue in ”Shipwreck Beach” (nighttime) where the second gondola was missing after a checkpoint
• Fixed infrequent issue that caused enemies to disappear when hit with a shotgun, occasionally gating progress
• Addressed uncommon gating issues during the ”Chasm Monastery’s” bridge onslaught where players are unable to progress past the wooden barrier
• Prevented the rare possibility of receiving credit for a collectible in ”Research Base” more than once
• Fixed issue which would occasionally cause infinite loading when fast traveling
• Fixed issue where ”Shipwreck Beach” would not load properly after saving and quitting near an optional tomb, causing players to fall through the world
• Fixed a rare issue where the Cinematic in “Solarii Stronghold” would not start
• Addressed a rare issue in ”Coastal Forest” where the world wouldn’t load after opening the Ancient Gate
• Addressed an issue in ”Shipwreck Beach” where the mast on the wooden ship was occasionally missing depending on the player’s path
• Resolved a gating bug in “Base Exterior” where you are unable to return via fast travel back to the Radio Tower Basecamp
• Fixed a gating issue in “Research Bunker” where the elevator would get stuck in an unintended state
• Resolved an occasional issue where large opponents would appear invincible despite the reticule changing color to red
• Prevented players in “Shipwreck Beach” from pulling the life raft over to an axe climb rock causing them to confuse the world and unable to progress the story
• Minor updates to localized fonts
• Updated Lara’s injuries later in the game to be more consistent in and out of cinematics
• Improved stability of UI

Multiplayer
• Fixed occasional crash when signing out from the multiplayer loading screen
• Addressed crash that occasionally occurred by leaving the game before the loading screen appeared
• Improvements to multiplayer match stability
• Fixed issue where canceling a title update after selecting multiplayer/Square Enix in the Main Menu results in locking out the controls
• Addressed rare crashes entering multiplayer game in progress
• Fixed bug where a user’s body would shrink if killed by death plane, electric pole, spike trap, or fire, in certain circumstances
• Improved stability of host migration during a match
• Addressed an issue where players could die with a super weapon and respawn still in possession of it
• Fixed bug with Assault Rifle tracers
• Fixed an issue where being shot with the Power Bow while jumping onto a flagpole causes the player character to become stuck in a grabbing animation
• Addressed traversal issues in “Shanty Town” map that allowed players to fall through the map
• Resolved grenades not attaching to players or exploding properly
• Addressed issues where throwable weapon triggers incorrect SFX
• Fixed voice over issues at the start of a match
• Addressed animation glitches when reviving other players
• Fixed bug where players could get stuck when walking up a slope with a Medkit

I'd say pacing is one of the better things the game has going for it and the three or so action heavy levels take place alongside plot developments, not randomly. Otherwise, the stealth option is firmly rooted throughout the game with the bow. I do remember having shotgun ammo in that 'stealth area.' Take one shot and you'll be in a shootout more in tune with the previous section if you wish.

God no, picking those guys off between the trees was the high point of the last 3 hours of the game for me.

I get your point, but certain firefights are scripted, so stealth isn't exactly always an option.

I would have agreed about the pacing until I hit the game's halfway point. It feels like a slog right now.

You clearly haven't played Far Cry 3.

Wasn't really interested. Is it worse than this, at least in the sense of not knowing what the hell it wants to be? The main reason I'm playing this is because it's... theoretically part of one of my favorite IPs.

Montresor

I loved this game. But I need more Lara.

Underworld and Anniversary are on sale. I'm going to immediately buy both of them. But I need to know which I should start first. =)

I'm sure this has been mentioned in this thread before, but my favourite aspect of Tomb Raider is that it was essentially Lost in video game format. There was a part of the game where I wanted soooo bad for Jonah to say "Live together die alone" but he ended up saying something more along the lines of "We gotta stick together."

Skilletor

God no, picking those guys off between the trees was the high point of the last 3 hours of the game for me.

I get your point, but certain firefights are scripted, so stealth isn't exactly always an option.

I would have agreed about the pacing until I hit the game's halfway point. It feels like a slog right now.

Wasn't really interested. Is it worse than this, at least in the sense of not knowing what the hell it wants to be? The main reason I'm playing this is because it's... theoretically part of one of my favorite IPs.

I'm playing about 30 minutes a night until I finish. Latter half of the game has been extremely boring.

Schlomo

Also posted this in the spoiler thread but that one's kind of dead, so (ending spoilers):

- Himiko's reign ended when the priestess who was to become her new vessel committed suicide at least a thousand years ago.
- The Japanese continued visiting the island throughout history and built large structures and temples and later a military base during WW2.
- There is not a single Japanese alive on the island except for the original Storm Guard, now turned undead.

Did I get one of these points wrong or is it just a plot hole?

I'm almost done with it. I just got the compound bow. My opinion still stands so far this game is a 7.5/10 for me. The acting and supporting cast and difficulty is seriously hampering my enjoyment of the game. All those contrived setpieces seriously could've been left out. I'm sorry but maybe it's because Uncharted just did those better than this game which is why I don't find any of the setpieces impressive.

I don't remember older tomb raiders being all this action(y). The freaking characters though.. man they fucking suck. The angry black chick, asian sensation and some questionable 4 eyes dude?? These people seriously did nothing to capture my attention. This is exactly how I felt with the cast of Final Fantasy 13. Boring characters.

I'm playing about 30 minutes a night until I finish. Latter half of the game has been extremely boring.

Second half location spoilers:

Basically everything from
the on-rails parachute bit
to
The Pit
was complete monotony. That last area was genuinely creepy though. Then it goes downhill for another 45 minutes, and then, as if waking from some fever dream, I'm suddenly back in the same open forest style environment as at the beginning of the game.

It's like there's 3 personalities fighting for dominance in here. I almost wish the ending was Lara waking up from a coma, the whole game would seem remotely cohesive then.

pargonta

i've decided not to play tomb raider on the principle of not supporting homogenization and omnipresent action in AAA game development
Good for you! You're really showing it to those big shots! If only everyone was as dedicated to the cause games might, at last, start being seen as the highest form of art that they unquestionably are with no place for action and where only the truly unique deserves to exist. The gaming Gods surely smile upon you for your steadfast dedication to changing the landscape of video gaming forever and hastening a future where gamers such as ourselves will no longer be viewed as immature and childish and will, instead, be treated with the respect that the hobby we defend so determinedly deserves.

Meanwhile, I'm 3/4 of the way through the game and having a fucking great time.

nice! even though i'm not interested in the game, i'm glad you're enjoying it. Rather than pushing ideals on other people, i will try instead to retract and withdraw myself from the hobby, as i have done here by not playing tomb raider, while still feeling passionate about some things. everyone is free to enjoy what they wish, indeed. :)

touché isaccard... touché

Isaccard

nice! even though i'm not interested in the game, i'm glad you're enjoying it. Rather than pushing ideals on other people, i will try instead to retract and withdraw myself from the hobby, as i have done here by not playing tomb raider, while still feeling passionate about some things. everyone is free to enjoy what they wish, indeed. :)

A good way to boycott too is not bumping the OT

just sayin'

Can someone explain the 'Scavenger Hunt' pre-order code that was sent out via Amazon?

I preordered the CE and received a promo code from Amazon to be redeemed at: www.tombraider.com/hunt

Before the game launched there was a place to enter a code, but it was never accepted. Now that the game is out the page only has a 'sign in' option, not a register option. Was this some meta-game that was only accessible prior to launch? I'm just now getting around to playing the game.

spirity

Adam looks like Harry Potter.

He's a geek. CD were very clever and subtle by equipping him with an Esc t-shirt and glasses, otherwise I'd never have figured it out.

Lara's supporting crew were incredibly well written and realised. Never before have I came across
a dangerously obsessed unscrupulous scientist, a wise and caring father-figure, a fiesty and strong willed black woman, and I don't know about the Vaas guy other than he's big and strong looking and presumably has a heart of gold?

Couldn't stand any of them.

h3ro

Can someone explain the 'Scavenger Hunt' pre-order code that was sent out via Amazon?

I preordered the CE and received a promo code from Amazon to be redeemed at: www.tombraider.com/hunt

Before the game launched there was a place to enter a code, but it was never accepted. Now that the game is out the page only has a 'sign in' option, not a register option. Was this some meta-game that was only accessible prior to launch? I'm just now getting around to playing the game.
I had the same issue. No clue what to do with the code now.

Skilletor

Second half location spoilers:

Basically everything from
the on-rails parachute bit
to
The Pit
was complete monotony. That last area was genuinely creepy though. Then it goes downhill for another 45 minutes, and then, as if waking from some fever dream, I'm suddenly back in the same open forest style environment as at the beginning of the game.

It's like there's 3 personalities fighting for dominance in here. I almost wish the ending was Lara waking up from a coma, the whole game would seem remotely cohesive then.

I'm cranking some elevator right now. Hoping it picks up again. I did enjoy the first half of the game, right up to shanty town.

antitrop

He's a geek. CD were very clever and subtle by equipping him with an Esc t-shirt and glasses, otherwise I'd never have figured it out.

Lara's supporting crew were incredibly well written and realised. Never before have I came across
a dangerously obsessed unscrupulous scientist, a wise and caring father-figure, a fiesty and strong willed black woman, and I don't know about the Vaas guy other than he's big and strong looking and presumably has a heart of gold?

Couldn't stand any of them.

Fat Vaas cuts a mean fish. The dramatic impact of that moment left me breathless and in a cold sweat.

TripOpt55

I can't find the last relic in Research Base! I keep following guides and I can't get the first one depicted in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lFTGcpekqo

How do I get to that water location? Fast traveling just brings me straight into the place where there is only one water section and that's outside one of the GPS caches.

So can somebody help me??

Is this the help you need still? If so
from the fast travel camp you should need to sort of go backwards. There are a few ledges to climb I believe and then a small crevice you must climb through on the wall which should bring you to that watery area. Then just hop down into the water, walk around the bend and you'll be to the part you need to blow up.
Hope that helps. I am doing it from memory, so might be a little off.

Top Bottom