• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

gdt

I liked the CD Tomb Raiders for the cools tombs and puzzles. I hoped that this game would add all this cool stuff (that they did actually, open world, leveling up, etc) to the tomb system. Odd that they ripped out tombs/dungeons out of the main storyline/campaign. Is that really true Praiseworthy?

RagnarokX

Is it still a top 10 generation game if you pretended it wasn't Tomb Raider?

But hey I'm coming in fresh, so this is great news for me.

If you're coming in fresh, how do you know this is great news? Even without the Tomb Raider legacy, how is expecting/wanting LESS a good thing?

::straps you to a chair and forces you to play Tomb Raider 1:: :p

In the cutscenes, I'm sure that's exactly the case. Lord knows we don't have enough good female protagonists. I guess my problem is just that the game has you killing so many people while trying to portray Lara as a normal girl struggling to survive. It's a problem I have with Uncharted and Far Cry 3, as well, so I'm not trying to single out this game, by any means.

Valid point, but like I've already said a hundred times already - I don't have a problem with Lara becoming more than capable. Same goes for the Uncharted games and Far Cry 3.

Now, you know, CD could have taken advantage of the apparent bipolar nature of this game's cutscene and ingame narratives, and at the end reveal that the whole plotline was inside Lara's head, and she was actually escaping from an Alcatraz-like mental institution with all the enemies in fact being innocent, unarmed health care workers.

RagnarokX

Valid point, but like I've already said a hundred times already - I don't have a problem with Lara becoming more than capable. Same goes for the Uncharted games and Far Cry 3.

I don't think anyone really does. But this game causes dissonance that the previous games didn't have. If they had gone more gradual into Lara becoming a psychopath and given her more justification to become so murderous (I think she and the cultists are handled poorly) I think people would be more receptive, but the real problem is there being so many dudes to kill in the first place in a way that replaces puzzles and platforming.

I don't think anyone really does. But this game causes dissonance that the previous games didn't have. If they had gone more gradual into Lara becoming a psychopath and given her more justification to become so murderous (I think she and the cultists are handled poorly) I think people would be more receptive, but the real problem is there being so many dudes to kill in the first place in a way that replaces puzzles and platforming.

Eh, I think the fact that they've kidnapped your childhood friend and are relentlessly trying to kill you every time they spot you is more than enough of an excuse for Lara to wipe them out. The actual transition does seem to happen a bit too quickly - but I can forgive the game for at least attempting to try and give you that impression that she has always had that inner strength within her that has now been forced to come out because of the crazy situation she’s been thrown into......I can also forgive the game because well, it's just that - a videogame.

RagnarokX

Eh, I think the fact that they've kidnapped your childhood friend and are relentlessly trying to kill you every time they spot you is more than enough of an excuse for Lara to wipe them out. The actual transition does seem to happen a bit too quickly - but I can forgive the game for at least attempting to try and give you that impression that she has always had that inner strength within her that has now been forced to come out because of the crazy situation she’s been thrown into......I can also forgive the game because well, it's just that - a videogame.

They only try to kill Lara during gameplay because it's convenient. When there's plot they'd rather capture her. They're not really relentless since they're not tracking her down; she's coming at them. You'd shoot at her too considering she's killed your friends and is coming after you next. Granted, they have taken her friends captive, but that doesn't really explain her instantaneous transformation from crying over a deer to becoming a one woman army. In the context of the plot it would make more sense for her to try to sneak around and avoid confrontation.

There are ways they could fix it: Make Lara's transformation more gradual, make the cultists actually be ruthless killers, not have a huge army of dudes in the first place.

Wasp14

I don't understand this "true tomb raider fans will hate this". I am as true as they come, I love Tomb raider and I like this game. I can appreciate where they went because they were so successful at it.

I've been a Tomb Raider fan since 2000 (own all of them except Chronicles) and really like the new direction Crystal Dynamics is taking. I don't understand that remark either.

hlhbk

I've been a Tomb Raider fan since 2000 (own all of them except Chronicles) and really like the new direction Crystal Dynamics is taking. I don't understand that remark either.

I agree 100% with the statement above and I have owned and beat all the tr games and I am a TRUE Tomb Raider fan.

Skilletor

I think the distinction is people who are fans of Tomb Raider looking for things traditionally in Tomb Raider games, and fans of Tomb Raider who do not mind that those things are now absent in the reboot. I think the calling people "true fans" is a silly one.

RagnarokX

I think the distinction is people who are fans of Tomb Raider looking for things traditionally in Tomb Raider games, and fans of Tomb Raider who do not mind that those things are now absent in the reboot. I think the calling people "true fans" is a silly one.

It's a true scottsman issue.

But really I have no problem with a reboot, the setting, combat improvement, or the majority of the story I've seen so far. My problem is chiefly with dumbing down platforming even more than they had in previous games and the near nonexistence of puzzles. They've improved things that weren't that big a deal to me before and all but eliminated things that were.

Skilletor

It's a true scottsman issue.

But really I have no problem with a reboot, the setting, combat improvement, or the majority of the story I've seen so far. My problem is chiefly with dumbing down platforming even more than they had in previous games and the near nonexistence of puzzles. They've improved things that weren't that big a deal to me before and all but eliminated things that were.

I agree completely. Your sentiments mirror my own.

Sorry. True fan here, and while the game is different I'm totally happy with this. Not pissed off at all. Just saying... this is not the case for everyone "true" Tomb Raider fan.
Also this is so sexy and mine!
4AH2M5zl.jpg

Its like paying a premium for ripped jeans all over again. Hideous.

Nizz

That is awesome! Camilla heart!

Edit: Not a lot of PS3 love :/
Speaking of which, have they even shown any footage of this game on PS3? Christ, you would think the game isn't even available on the console. Will probably look and run like shit. :/

RagnarokX

I think bruised and battered Lara looks stupid. I hope I can turn it off.

You remember that scene where Lara rises out of muddy water/blood from the the trailers that people made fun of because she came out too dry-looking? Well in the game she looks worse than Carrie after the pigs blood prank.

B-Dex

You remember that scene where Lara rises out of muddy water/blood from the the trailers that people made fun of because she came out too dry-looking? Well in the game she looks worse than Carrie after the pigs blood prank.

They took a "little" inspiration from The Descent for a lot of the caves/crevasses in this game.

antitrop

This thread is pretty much going to be a LiveJournal of my impressions of this game. I plan to complete it in one sitting on Tuesday, with breaks, of course.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
After recently rediscovering my appreciation for third person action adventures (via Uncharted GA), I'm hanging out to pick this up. I'm glad it turned out so well. The prevalence of QTEs is a concern but they don't seem to be impacting everyone elses enjoyment of the game. I'm assuming that they aren't too intrusive.

This thread is pretty much going to be a LiveJournal of my impressions of this game. I plan to complete it in one sitting on Tuesday, with breaks, of course.

Great stuff, I look forward to hearing your thoughts. It'll be a while before I can pick it up, so I'll live vicariously via this thread

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So for those that have it, is it still Tomb Raider despite the narrative and lack of Tombs, and can you see a sequel to this set in actual Tombs which would feel more like Tomb Raider ala Tomb Raider 1 built with the same gameplay and mechanics as this one

Read some reviews, and after doing that and watching a couple video reviews I preordered this on Steam. Was only slightly on my radar, but now I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully the PC version is a quality job...

Top Bottom