• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

PS3 version runs pretty well. I am loving this game so far.

The island is amazing. Atmosphere in spades here. Presentation wise, this is really up there. It's just gorgeous.

The cover system is the best I've ever seen. None of that sticky crap. Lara transitions seamlessly in and out of cover all by herself. I can see a lot of other games copying this. I've no complaints about the gameplay yet. Controls are tight, combat isn't too frequent and the platforming doesn't seem nearly as automated as Uncharted (climbing with the axe is awesome). The levels are quite large and there are secrets all over the place. I'm enjoying the story too.

Could do without the XP system. It's totally unnecessary and seeing the points pop up on-screen after everything you do is just annoying. Weapon upgrades would have given enough incentive to explore on their own.

I was planning on trading this in for God of War next week, but now I wanna keep it. :( Seems like one of those games I'll want to replay multiple times.

Nemesis_

Anyone know if I can revisit areas?

I'm scouring areas for collectibles but would rather do it casually knowing if I can come back to areas.

trcontroller2izge.gif

How the fuck did Demetrious Johnson get in this thread, lol

Tomb Raider Preorder $36.00 (Steam DRM)

Put in this code at checkout: GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/tomb-raider/

I posted the same in the Cheap Arse Gamer thread but wanted to make sure GAF's Tomb Raider community get's to see the deal too.
Amazon with the CAGROCKS code is just a tad cheaper IIRC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can't believe the aussies broke street date by almost a week.

And the Steam version unlocks here several hours earlier than elsewhere, too (on the stroke of midnight AEST, which is a not-too-shabby 9pm for me).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Although if you pickup the boxed PC version, Steam will still block you from playing until March 5th...
And the Steam version unlocks here several hours earlier than elsewhere, too (on the stroke of midnight [on March 5th] AEST, which is a not-too-shabby 9pm for me).

;)

Edit: To be clear, I'm just pointing out I'm already aware of that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I've only been following the game loosely, and I have a question that could possibly be a bit spoiler-y. I don't want major spoilers or anything story-related, but I am wondering something about the final game and early concept art.

The early concept art showed grotesque monsters, but the actual revealed game I haven't really seen anything but human enemies. However, I recently glanced at the official soundtracks track listing and noticed that one of the later album songs is called, "The Oni," which is Korean for Demon. I was wondering if the more horror-esque monsters might be appearing in the title, or if they've been dropped?

This game is getting good reviews then I hear Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb talk about it and it sounds like he gave it a higher score than it deserved.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This game is getting good reviews then I hear Brad Shoemaker from Giant Bomb talk about it and it sounds like he gave it a higher score than it deserved.

There's the possibility there can be things that are easy to point out that you disliked about the game or think could of been better, but overall you think the quality of the overall problem overshines these problems. There's a few games I love that I can go on large tangents about things I dislike about it before even touching on the reason I loved it. This is particularly true of flawed gems, games that are good, even great, but it's easy to look at once completed and call out a few points that could be sharpened up on in the future.

Sometimes these are more 'What if' scenarios, things that are irksome but overall don't kill the game in anyway, or just slight disappointments in an overall quality game.

Nemesis_

Been playing for about three hours now.

ibs1W13SoxCkRM.gif

8mUtayGl.jpg

Haters can seethe, this game is immaculate. Whoever said it was a cover shooter should play it

ibfu6dE8sNeish.gif

So I've only been following the game loosely, and I have a question that could possibly be a bit spoiler-y. I don't want major spoilers or anything story-related, but I am wondering something about the final game and early concept art.

The early concept art showed grotesque monsters, but the actual revealed game I haven't really seen anything but human enemies. However, I recently glanced at the official soundtracks track listing and noticed that one of the later album songs is called, "The Oni," which is Korean for Demon. I was wondering if the more horror-esque monsters might be appearing in the title, or if they've been dropped?

There's a lot of Japanese folklore discussed in the files you find and recordings from the islanders. I'm suspecting that it will head into supernatural territory, it seems like it's foreshadowing a lot of stuff like that

Sidzed2

CTGWPg6.gif

EEEEEEEEE! I think I’m going to collapse. I...I feel faint.

2 hours in. It's already really impressive. The combat feels surprisingly good. My only qualms are that the voice acting is fairly uneven (Lara's okay but the supporting cast is abysmal) and the framerate on PS3 is a bit juddery which, when combined with the wobbly cinematic camera, makes me feel a bit seasick.

Nemesis_

I don't want to get people excited but from what I've played thus far.

The way the levels and areas are laid out reminds me A LOT of MGS3: Snake Eater. The way that you platform and puzzle reminds me of Uncharted and older Tomb Raider games, while the way skills are handled (bar the experience system) reminds me a lot of the Metroid games (ie. there are areas you can backtrack to for optional goods).

The files you collect are also fully voiced and such, so there's that Bioshocky / Resident Evil-esque quality to discovering the island.

All of the collectibles are well integrated into the story and present optional backstory to the island, it's inhabitants and the crew of the endurance. It's well done to be quite honest.

Superficial thing but the dodge mechanics remind me a lot of Alan Wake.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bought the PC version at work

it won't play on Steam

well, that was $40 prematurely spent

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Say Nemesis, would you say that Tomb Raider gives you any survival horror/Resident Evil vibes from what you are playing with the atmosphere or how the game is presented? Everything I have seen just seems a lot inspired by Resident Evil 4 in some aspects.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't understand this "true tomb raider fans will hate this". I am as true as they come, I love Tomb raider and I like this game. I can appreciate where they went because they were so successful at it.

I mean you may be 'true' in your view, but it's not at all hard to know why someone might say it doesn't make sense. How can a true Tomb Raider fan be happy about a Tomb Raider game that destroys everything that made the series great and pretty much guarantees we'll never see another game like the classics once and for all? In a field of crowded me-too third person action shooters, enters another lazy one, and we lose even the possibility of seeing a return of something that is genuinely unique as opposed to whatever this is? A tomb raider game with mostly only cheap optional one room challenge tombs, virtually no puzzles and no meaningful platforming? tetsuo, why would it be hard to understand?

I can totally understanding loving the game for what it is, but approaching as a Tomb Raider fan... is it really that difficult to understand why others might think it hard to accept that anyone who actually cared about the franchise as it was would be happy?

Nemesis_

Say Nemesis, would you say that Tomb Raider gives you any survival horror/Resident Evil vibes from what you are playing with the atmosphere or how the game is presented? Everything I have seen just seems a lot inspired by Resident Evil 4 in some aspects.

I've played a few moments that are tense, but not scary. I guess that's how I would describe Resident Evil 4 as well.

Though Tomb Raider is more of an adventure platformer / third person exploration game than a horror game like Resident Evil 4.

If that makes sense. :p

Moff

damn, thats a moment where I really hate steam.
well, usually I can play games almost a week early in europe, nevermind.

Nemesis_

The Optional Tombs really remind me of the old Tomb Raider segments in Underworld where they give you a big room with a puzzle that needs to be solved to get some treasure.

Kind of like Prince of Persia and those optional areas in Assassin's Creed.

dwu8991

Banned
I mean you may be 'true' in your view, but it's not at all hard to know why someone might say it doesn't make sense. How can a true Tomb Raider fan be happy about a Tomb Raider game that destroys everything that made the series great and pretty much guarantees we'll never see another game like the classics once and for all? In a field of crowded me-too third person action shooters, enters another lazy one, and we lose even the possibility of seeing a return of something that is genuinely unique as opposed to whatever this is? A tomb raider game with mostly only cheap optional one room challenge tombs, virtually no puzzles and no meaningful platforming? tetsuo, why would it be hard to understand?

I can totally understanding loving the game for what it is, but approaching as a Tomb Raider fan... is it really that difficult to understand why others might think it hard to accept that anyone who actually cared about the franchise as it was would be happy?

I agree with this sentiment. The overpowered guns feels like Lara is Rambo, on a mission to kill !!! The multiplayer is probably even worse at exemplifying that approach.

I'd hardly call it lazy....

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I've played a few moments that are tense, but not scary. I guess that's how I would describe Resident Evil 4 as well.

Though Tomb Raider is more of an adventure platformer / third person exploration game than a horror game like Resident Evil 4.

If that makes sense. :p

Sounds fair to me. All the footage I have seen and the gruesome death scenes with it remind me a lot of the village area by its look. Can't wait either way, I am glad there's exploration in this game to a fair point but I do hope they make it much more open up like the previous games (which I am sure they will with next gen resources). I can see open up areas being the big thing for gaming next generation. I would love to see another game that does the scale of what Underworld did. The whole ocean level has hardly been beat by most games this generation for exploration. Such an underrated game.

Nemesis_

I'd hardly call it lazy....

I don't really understand how one can call this "lazy" either.

Sounds fair to me. All the footage I have seen and the gruesome death scenes with it remind me a lot of the village area by its look. Can't wait either way, I am glad there's exploration in this game to a fair point but I do hope they make it much more open up like the previous games (which I am sure they will with next gen resources). I can see open up areas being the big thing for gaming next generation. I would love to see another game that does the scale of what Underworld did. The whole ocean level has hardly been beat by most games this generation for exploration. Such an underrated game.

Yeah, this also reminds me of Snake Eater in that it was clearly constrained by the hardware. :p

As I mentioned prior, I like the way that each "area" you enter (mind you, they are not separated by loading screens) is a self confined kind of "ecosystem" with animals and the like running around as well as smaller branches off to either treasure stacks or optional tombs.

It's a nice design that appropriately deals with the constraints of the hardware.

Moff

When has that been the case? Are you in Region 2?

steet date in europe is usually friday, and with steam/origin and vpn you can play already monday afternoon. did so with most games last year. latest examples would be crysis 3 and dead space 3.

diamount

Banned
steet date in europe is usually friday, and with steam/origin and vpn you can play already monday afternoon. did so with most games last year. latest examples would be crysis 3 and dead space 3.

Oh yeah, I do that all the time. Good thing TR is a simultaneous release.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Quick question about picking it up from GMG:

Would I get the same pre-order bonuses as the STEAM version given that it's STEAMWORKS if/when I enter my key for pre-loading, or does that only apply if you pre-order DIRECTLY through STEAM?

angelfly

Quick question about picking it up from GMG:

Would I get the same pre-order bonuses as the STEAM version given that it's STEAMWORKS if/when I enter my key for pre-loading, or does that only apply if you pre-order DIRECTLY through STEAM?

You'll only get the Steam bonuses if you purchase from Steam. For me $36 was the better option as I already own GoL and I don't care about the multiplayer.

Top Bottom