• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really understand how one can call this "lazy" either.

Yeah, this also reminds me of Snake Eater in that it was clearly constrained by the hardware. :p

As I mentioned prior, I like the way that each "area" you enter (mind you, they are not separated by loading screens) is a self confined kind of "ecosystem" with animals and the like running around as well as smaller branches off to either treasure stacks or optional tombs.

It's a nice design that appropriately deals with the constraints of the hardware.

I thought that would be the case, a lot of games recently have had to really gimp their level design and do little tricks to work around the amount of bandwidth they've had and it's been driving me nuts when how long this generation has lasted and how developers had to still stick with a lot of limitations because of publisher restraints. At least by the sounds of it that this game has set a foundation for making the sequel to become something much huge and can be in joy again of moving away from such "corridor" aspects. Still I am happy with this by the impressions I've seen from people so it makes me glad on my steam purchase (Damn you UK release!). Just got to wait now :(

Inukage

To any Aus Gamers don't bother buying the Embargoed PC version as you wont be able to play it until it gets unlocks on steam.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
You'll only get the Steam bonuses if you purchase from Steam. For me $36 was the better option as I already own GoL and I don't care about the multiplayer.

Alright, thanks for the heads up! I'm interested in the other tomb DLC, but uhh...yeah, not for $9 extra.

EDIT: One last question, just want to make sure before I commit on anything. If I were to pre-order Bioshock Infinite as well, would I be able to stack the $15 credit from that on top of the pre-order voucher for Tomb Raider? I don't see why it wouldn't let me use credit and a voucher, but hey, weirder things have happened.

sublimit

Banned
I don't understand this "true tomb raider fans will hate this". I am as true as they come, I love Tomb raider and I like this game. I can appreciate where they went because they were so successful at it.

No offense but i have heard many people in TR forums over the years calling themselves "true TR fans" but when the question of what it was that they loved in the old games comes up many of them either say "Lara" or "atmosphere" or "raiding Tombs".

It has occured to me that the problem with this franchise is that you can ask 3-4 people what they loved about this game and they can all offer different answers.Some of them only stay at a superficial level of enjoynment enjoying things like Lara's character,the graphics or the atmosphere and the are other people who go a bit beyond this level and realize that it was the core mechanics of this game (precision platforming that was based on skill,level designs that were puzzles themselves,trial and error etc) that were the true "essence" of this game underneath all the superficial cosmetics like Lara.

So excuse me but i'm always a bit sceptical when someone says is "a true fan" of this series (as in someone who really understands what the game was about and wants to see these core elements transfer into modern games).

Now i'm not saying that you are a superficial fan yourself,but if you really loved TR for what it was (trully) about then you should also be able to realize that regardless if this game is a good one as a new IP,those core elements that you loved about this series have gone forever.

diamount

Banned
You'll only get the Steam bonuses if you purchase from Steam. For me $36 was the better option as I already own GoL and I don't care about the multiplayer.

I'm more interested if the 'Tomb of the Lost Adventurer' is a Steam exclusive or for all pre-purchases.

Nemesis_

I'm more interested if the 'Tomb of the Lost Adventurer' is a Steam exclusive or for all pre-purchases.

I completed it earlier on. It appears very early in the game and lasts about
20 minutes

The general scenario of it (for anyone wondering if a pre-order is worth it or not) is that you are in an open area with a
treasure mounted up on a hill
. There is a
LOST esque plan stuck in a tree
and your basic objective for the area is to
work out how to cut it down from the trees, so it forms a ramp up to the treasure

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder if we won't get a df comparison before release because square didn't send out any ps3 copies. Lol.

Nemesis_

Well, my time is up to find out which is superior since I’m getting the game tomorrow.
Please be the 360 version!

Who cares, the differences are almost always negligible.

Much like if Xtina were to release an album in fall or an album in the holiday season - it doesn't matter - they'll both be shit. [/obviousY2KevBaiting]

ced

You guys are killing me, I have DS3 sitting around that needs to be played but I really want this.

Must resist.

Nemesis_

I see.

The files in this game are really good. I love how you see some from both
present day
and the
historical era when the island was thriving as a populous

Some of them are very creepy too. I really think that the story will head in a
Supernatural
direction given how things are going at the moment.

Goddamn, just got through the village in the mountains and loved every second of it. This game is capable of some fantastic stuff. The pacing is also pretty dang great, the only issue I have with the pacing is that it also means it feels odd to stop and hunt around for collectibles or fast-travel back to an earlier location to dig up secrets.

Nemesis_

Goddamn, just got through the village in the mountains and loved every second of it. This game is capable of some fantastic stuff. The pacing is also pretty dang great, the only issue I have with the pacing is that it also means it feels odd to stop and hunt around for collectibles or fast-travel back to an earlier location to dig up secrets.

Yeah, you're right.

Just got Etrian Odyssey in the mail yesterday, so it's likely gonna be Thursday of next week before this arrives for me.

Someone please call Tricky if he doesn't show up for a while and make sure his brain didn't explode as soon as the title screen popped up.

His poor family, scraping little pieces of Oprah off the walls

Nemesis_

Just got Etrian Odyssey in the mail yesterday, so it's likely gonna be Thursday of next week before this arrives for me.

Someone please call Tricky if he doesn't show up for a while and make sure his brain didn't explode as soon as the title screen popped up.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on his XBL Status and update once he gets past the prologue.

iC1IlEN2lzlMI.gif

His poor family, scraping little pieces of Oprah off the walls

I'll be sure to keep an eye on his XBL Status and update once he gets past the prologue.

iC1IlEN2lzlMI.gif

Bless you people for caring about me. If I don't chime in with some impressions roughly 24 hours after I get the game - assume that I'm dead.

This is the best game I've played since Arkham Asylum (which was better than Arkham City ...imo). 40% at the moment after 6 hours of playtime. I don't know how far I am. Just got the
grenade launcher

Tizoc

Got the PS3 ver. for $40 after trading in DoA5, will prob. start it after I finished Ni no Kuni hopefully~

Nemesis_

Is it everything you wanted Uncharted 3 to be? As someone mentioned earlier..

I kind of like it better. >_>

It's just more fun to explore. You don't really have that open-endedness in Uncharted, if that makes sense.

Like, Tomb Raider isn't an open world game - but it provides a degree of exploration that Uncharted never really reached as a franchise.

It also reminds me a lot of Cursed Mountain, if you guys ever played that.

Andrew.

Banned
I kind of like it better. >_>

It's just more fun to explore. You don't really have that open-endedness in Uncharted, if that makes sense.

Like, Tomb Raider isn't an open world game - but it provides a degree of exploration that Uncharted never really reached as a franchise.

Makes sense to me.

Nemesis_

I will give Uncharted a point in characters though. Everyone in Uncharted 2 was interesting and compelling - Lara is great (though sometimes I wish she would shut up) but her crewmates are kind of pointless and annoying.

Sidzed2

I will give Uncharted a point in characters though. Everyone in Uncharted 2 was interesting and compelling - Lara is great (though sometimes I wish she would shut up) but her crewmates are kind of pointless and annoying.

This. Lara's support cast really demonstrates just how good Naughty Dog is with character. Everyone outside of Lara is awful. This game, though - wow. It pretty much succeeds on every level.

Nemesis_

Hmph! And to think I was laughed at when I said it looks pretty much on par with Uncharted 2 when it comes to quality! :/

It felt like me VS GAF for so long, but it looks like I was right! Looking back at some of the comments in the older threads makes me LOL.

People
who probably aren't playing it out of spite or something
will still complain and/or say that it's shit or TOMB CLACNYC SHOOT FGBEDFeubw

But yes, it's fantastic. I am glad I put my slight concerns aside and gave it a shot. I hope the rest of the general public will also do so when the game officially releases this week.

To be awfully blunt though - I *kinda* understand why Tomb Raider fans might not like it - but it does feel like a natural progression from what we got in Underworld. I honestly can't imagine someone liking Underworld but hating this.

But, opinions!

Harlequin

has it been confirmed that tressFX will be in the game day one?
No videos from AMD until the game has long shipped has me kind of worried.

(worried that I will have to wait until I can finally play this game in all of its glory)

I'm fairly certain it will be because it was announced with all the other PC features. There haven't been any videos so far because Square has put an embargo on PC footage that lifts on Monday. They've done that because Nixxes is still trying to push the PC effects even further and the game being a SteamWorks title apparently allows them to do that up till the very last day before release (I wouldn't worry about the PC port not being ready, though. They've been working on just the port for two years).

I hate you people

I was so ready to ignore this game until it was 20 bucks, and then I read these impressions...I ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY YOU JERKS

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I’m getting major Ripley vibes from her from the later parts of the game - and that is exciting the hell out of me!

Whoah whoah whoah let's not get too excited here. Lara may be a great character (I haven't played the game yet so can't judge), but Ripley is like one of the best all-time characters in any entertainment medium ever. So, yeah.

I hate you people

I was so ready to ignore this game until it was 20 bucks, and then I read these impressions...I ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY YOU JERKS

I feel your pain, brother. I should have never entered this thread.

Nemesis_

Based on what we've seen of cutscenes and graphics, the console versions of Tomb Raider don't match the graphics of Uncharted 2.

Thankfully, this game plays well instead!

I have one thing to say the optional tombs are
really underwhelming :/

I thought that maybe the
first one was shit because it was a pre-order bonus but I just "solved" the first proper one in like, ten minutes >_>

People
who probably aren't playing it out of spite or something
will still complain and/or say that it's shit or TOMB CLACNYC SHOOT FGBEDFeubw

But yes, it's fantastic. I am glad I put my slight concerns aside and gave it a shot. I hope the rest of the general public will also do so when the game officially releases this week.

To be awfully blunt though - I *kinda* understand why Tomb Raider fans might not like it - but it does feel like a natural progression from what we got in Underworld. I honestly can't imagine someone liking Underworld but hating this.

But, opinions!

Oh, I can fully understand why some Tomb Raider fans wouldn't be happy with this - that's fine and justifiable. But a lot of people claimed it to be a terrible game period. Some of the nitpicks and complaints over all the Tomb Raider threads were just ludicrous, whether it be the camera angle changing in the prologue (yes people winged about that) to even people saying the game looks graphically ugly with no sense of atmosphere. A lot of the comments were so unjustified and posted just for the sake of tearing the game down. Like I said, looking back on some of it just makes me laugh and realize just how clueless some people on GAF can be.

EDIT: Another complaint that came up was that the island wasn’t Japanese enough! -_-

Based on what we've seen of cutscenes and graphics, the console versions of Tomb Raider don't match the graphics of Uncharted 2.

What the? I’m not just talking about the graphics. I’m talking about the overall package of the game. I thought that was pretty clear.......

ced

A lot of the comments were so unjustified and posted just for the sake of tearing the game down. Like I said, looking back on some of it just makes me laugh and realize just how clueless some people on GAF can be.

This forum has become notorious for attempting to destroy games before they have even played them, or well before they are released. This is a good example as is DMC.

Harlequin

Well, there are some visually REALLY impressive scenes (example: radio tower) even though it might not match Uncharted 2's graphics on a technical level. But that shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone as this game is A: a multiplatform title and has B: bigger and more open environments. Not to mention that the game being of the same quality as Uncharted 2 doesn't just mean in terms of graphics but also generally in terms of polish, gameplay, pacing, etc.

Top Bottom