• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

fuenf

Based on what we've seen of cutscenes and graphics, the console versions of Tomb Raider don't match the graphics of Uncharted 2.

It's different, yes it doesnt quite match Uncharted 2 in terms of graphics but it's one of the best looking 3rd party titles on consoles. I think only the cut scenes really pale in comparison to Uncharted, otherwise it matches Uncharted on many fronts: the art style is simple breathtaking, most areas are relatively open and the cinematic gameplay sequences are very well done. It wouldnt surprise me if some people were to prefer TR's graphics.

Ahasverus

Based on what we've seen of cutscenes and graphics, the console versions of Tomb Raider don't match the graphics of Uncharted 2.

But they get really close. I played the game last night and I couldn't believe a game could look that good on the 360, so polished, so clean, so BIG; that's the difference, Tomb Raider feels MASSIVE while Uncharted and say Halo 4 were pretty coorridors. This game had wowed me visually, I think it's only comparable to The Witcher 2 (360) for sheer wow factor. And Halo 4, probably, but you know its limitations.

Lime

What the? I’m not just talking about the graphics. I’m talking about the overall package of the game. I thought that was pretty clear.......

Okay, it's just the post you linked to stated the following:

Dem graphics. Dat atmosphere. Dat detail. Dat polish

Hence my understanding of what you meant by "quality"

It's different, yes it doesnt quite match Uncharted 2 in terms of graphics but it's one of the best looking 3rd party titles on consoles. I think only the cut scenes really pale in comparison to Uncharted, otherwise it matches Uncharted on many fronts: the art style is simple breathtaking, most areas are relatively open and the cinematic gameplay sequences are very well done. It wouldnt surprise me if some people were to prefer TR's graphics.

But they get really close. I played the game last night and I couldn't believe a game could look that good on the 360, so polished, so clean, so BIG; that's the difference, Tomb Raider feels MASSIVE while Uncharted and say Halo 4 were pretty coorridors. And Halo 4, probably, but you know its limitations.

Cool, I'm glad to hear. Especially since it's a multiplatform game.

I'll play the PC version at some point when this goes on sale, so looking forward to it.

This game had wowed me visually, I think it's only comparable to The Witcher 2 (360) for sheer wow factor.

Those are big words. Would be cool if you're correct.

Eideka

Banned
Some screens from the 360 version :
tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-084.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-090.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-089.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-098.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-095.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-087.jpg

tomb-raider-pc-39283-1361804161-088.jpg

Looks decent by console standards but I'm not sure I would put it at the top of the graphical hierarchy.

I'm eager to see the PC version in all its glory, that should look gorgeous especially with TressFX.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh god why would you post huge screens of the 360 version? That looks unbelievably horrible :lol

Her arm in that second to last pic looks like a painting that ran a bit before drying.

Eideka

Banned
Oh god why would you post huge screens of the 360 version? That looks unbelievably horrible :lol

Well...This is 720p, the native resolution of the game on consoles.

I tried to cherry pick the best looking shots for that matter.

A couple more :
tomb-raider-xbox-360-1361804457-100.jpg

tomb-raider-xbox-360-1361804457-101.jpg

I hope that their PC review will finally be made with a maxed out version, it's never the case with them as they don't have a powerful PC.

So the impressions are slowly starting to come in from fellow gaffers. Good to see your all enjoying it as much as I am. I did a sequence last night that wow me with what happened, but more so with the visuals and design of the area. Damn Crystal Dynamics... Dat atmosphere!

Lime

:/ @ those 360 shots.

I wasn’t refering to the OP in that thread.....scroll down a bit.

Ok, then you should state that in your link. Additionally, remember that simply saying "quality" without specifying what you mean doesn't say much about what you are referring to. Just for future references :)

AEREC

Oh, its gonna be. Nixxes made it.

People keep saying this like it means something. I wouldn't call Deus Ex or Sleeping Dogs incredibly optimized ports...both had stuttering issues among other things.

Granted they were not the worst ports but they were not as great as something like the Max Payne 3 port job.

Ahasverus

Haha of course they look horrible, our monitors are like 1080p minimum and without tv post processing they look like crap. But that's not how it looks on my plasma TV, it looks excellent.

gdt

Those screens look horrid. Something has to be wrong with those pics.

I got the PC version so it doesn't matter anyway.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Yeah??? My Uncharted 2 didn't look that crappy. Might as well stop posting those screenshot.

That's... illuminating

Suppose it might look better with the gamma and colour setting jacked up on a TV

WOW

Glad I have a good PC

I think if the game is well optimized for PC, it will definitely be the version to go.

Nemesis_

EDIT: Another complaint that came up was that the island wasn’t Japanese enough! -_-

I just looked up Devil's Triangle to see if it's real. It is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Sea

I don't know why would you want to island to be more "Japanese". What do people want? Cherry blossoms or something? For where it is at currently (in terms of what the island has been through) it seems as authentic as you'll get.

This is why it reminds me a lot of Cursed Mountain.

Are we really complaining about graphics in this thread right now, though?

Derrick01

Banned
Those screens look horrid. Something has to be wrong with those pics.

I got the PC version so it doesn't matter anyway.

The thing that's wrong with them is they're running on consoles that should be considered a joke by today's standards. We seriously need these new consoles now.

Eideka

Banned
Yeah??? My Uncharted 2 didn't look that crappy. Might as well stop posting those screenshot.
uncharted-2-among-thieves-playstation-3-ps3-241.jpg

uncharted-2-among-thieves-playstation-3-ps3-234.jpg

You seem upset, but this is how the game looks, whether you accept it or not.

If that's any consolation their PC shots are not better, but their "gaming" PC is fairly old anyway.

I played the game on my 720p monitor recently and I can confirm that the IQ is very good for a console game. If you're interested check out some GOW III shots and you will see that it's less jaggy.....Simply because the IQ of the game is top notch.

nib95

Banned
But they get really close. I played the game last night and I couldn't believe a game could look that good on the 360, so polished, so clean, so BIG; that's the difference, Tomb Raider feels MASSIVE while Uncharted and say Halo 4 were pretty coorridors. This game had wowed me visually, I think it's only comparable to The Witcher 2 (360) for sheer wow factor. And Halo 4, probably, but you know its limitations.

Joke post? Some sections in Uncharted 2/3 and Halo 4 are massive. Easily the size of sections in Tomb Raider.

Nemesis_

The collectibles seem authentic and well researched too. It's INCREDIBLY minor, but it's a very nice touch that I appreciate a lot. Lara's commentary is cute too.

XZalgXYl.jpg

You can even examine some of them to find out MORE things about them (and get a little bit of extra XP as well).

My favourite one thus far is a Mortar and Pestle. It really adds to the atmosphere and
tension
if you examine it.

"A kind of mortar and pestle, it's probably used for preparing medicinal herbs"

but if you examine it further

"Oh, there are small bone fragments in the mortar well. Hopefully it's just animal bones..."

Ahasverus

Joke post? Some sections in Uncharted 2/3 and Halo 4 are massive. Easily the size of sections in Tomb Raider.

Yeah of course they wre, but they were not interconnectad, that's what I mean, it's almost open world, and it makes it the best looking "open world" game on consoles.

You guys and these visualy remarks. It looks great in motion on 360. If you come away thinking this game looks horrible after playing it. I just have no words to say. Yes atmosphere helps this alot but come on.

Andrew.

Banned
Im not a PC graphics hound, or much of a graphics hound in general and I think those shots look really fucking cool.

Cant wait for those TressFx swooshy hair .gifs though.

nib95

Banned
Yeah of course they wre, but they were not interconnectad, that's what I mean, it's almost open world, and it makes it the best looking "open world" game on consoles.

What do you mean interconnected? They work in exactly the same way as Tomb Raider, only you can't travel back to them. All 3 games have smaller confined areas, linear segments, scripted segments and more open area's which allow for some sandbox like gameplay or minor exploration. None are truly open world.

Top Bottom