• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

fuenf

yep I'm out too. We get it games look better on PC, who would've thought.

I dont know how I am able to enjoy and appreciate my 'lousy' PS3 version, I guess something is wrong with me.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Wooooo got my keys from GMG.

Edit: Preloading on Steam now!

$36 is hard to pass up on a new game man.

I dont know how I am able to enjoy and appreciate my 'lousy' PS3 version, I guess something is wrong with me.

Is that the right hand of the devil himself in your avatar?

Trinity is so awesome. :D

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Im not a PC graphics hound, or much of a graphics hound in general and I think those shots look really fucking cool.

Cant wait for those TressFx swooshy hair .gifs though.

Ehh I don't think it's about being graphics hound rather just expecting quality from games in both looks and gameplay. AAA games should not look like early gen games and it's why it's nice to once in a while look at how far games have come in terms of graphics as time goes by. It' looks great on the PC that's for sure ^_^

sublimit

Banned
I don't know why would you want to island to be more "Japanese".

Maybe because it's very near Japan?

What do people want? Cherry blossoms or something?

Cherry blossoms would be cool (if the time the story takes place is in spring) but personally i think it's the desert rocky mountain areas in the MP that makes the game look as if it takes place in Arizona or Utah.

frame_0000.jpg

Eideka

Banned

I didn't mean to imply that it looks bad on consoles, I was merely nonplussed by the comparison with Uncharted 2 graphics wise. I don't think it comes that close but we are talking about different games.

lunchtoast

Keys are out for those who pre-ordered the PC version from Amazon

edit: Maybe not

Came into thread looking for any Amazon posts. They said 8am but getting errors trying to view keys.

Stupid but when they said the game was available to d/l today I figured I could play it too thinking they had an exclusive or something...

Nemesis_

Maybe because it's very near Japan?

I should have clarified. Without spoiling, every area you visit there are very OBVIOUS influences. These are very vague location spoilers - but you see
Shinto inspired effigies
as well as very
Japanese buildings, albeit dilapidated
. The other non-
spiritual
locations are
designed to tie in with the World War, namely Japanese bunkers and the like

It's not that I am complaining about people wanting the island to be Japanese, I'm complaining about the people wanting the island to be MORE Japanese. It's done already quite well and in fact it's very subtle and nuanced. I can't imagine how it could be done anymore without being any more ham-fisted.

I kind of lied - you do see a
cherry blossom
or two but it's by no means meant to be beautiful. It's dilapidated.

If you scroll up further, I talk about the collectibles too which are distinctively Japanese too.

Cherry blossoms would be cool (if the time the story takes place is in spring) but personally i think it's the desert rocky mountain areas in the MP that makes the game look as if it takes place in Arizona or Utah.

frame_0000.jpg

Oh, well, I haven't played Multiplayer yet. Is it even canon? :p

FordGTGuy

Banned
You guys and these visualy remarks. It looks great in motion on 360. If you come away thinking this game looks horrible after playing it. I just have no words to say. Yes atmosphere helps this alot but come on.

You might want to see it in motion on a PC maxed out and you will see our side of things.

Honestly if you have a PC capable of playing this game maxed out I see no reason to buy it on either Xbox 360 or PS3 unless you really want the achievements/trophies.

On top of everything it almost costs half the amount it does on console at $36.

You're probably not used to play on a PC.

I have a uber pc that can run pretty much anything today on max. I'm very used to PC. I'm also used to to appreciating graphics on 5+ year old hardware. The fact they can even pull some of these visual off on such old hardware is great.

You might want to see it in motion on a PC maxed out and you will see our side of things.

Honestly if you have a PC capable of playing this game maxed out I see no reason to buy it on either Xbox 360 or PS3 unless you really want the achievements/trophies.

On top of everything it almost costs half the amount it does on console at $36.

There is no doubt it will look better on the PC. Yet it's not hard to understand people also appreciate the graphics capabilities on old hardware like consoles. Hell I'm getting the PC version as well.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I have a uber pc that can run pretty much anything today on max. I'm very used to PC. I'm also used to to appreciating graphics on 5+ year old hardware. The fact they can even pull some of these visual off on such old hardware is great.

That doesn't make it impressive or acceptable when we have a cheaper alternative with PC that looks way better.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck all you guys. It's like every country but Canada has started to sell it. What the fuck.

Happens a lot. With RE6 Australia broke street date about 5 days early as well. I generally rent a new game over the weekend to take my mind off the unbearable wait until the official release date.

Nemesis_

Happens a lot. With RE6 Australia broke street date about 5 days early as well. I generally rent a new game over the weekend to take my mind off the unbearable wait until the official release date.

We got Rising about four days early too. It's been happening a lot lately which is VERY weird. I hope publishers don't stop sending our country stock early.

As long as it's a better game than the god awful(by ND standards) UC3, couldn't care less how it looks a little worse than UC2. Buying it and hoping for next gen sequels.

fuenf

Is that the right hand of the devil himself in your avatar?

Trinity is so awesome. :D

yeah it is! you've got some sharp eyes :)

I didn't mean to imply that it looks bad on consoles, I was merely nonplussed by the comparison with Uncharted 2 graphics wise. I don't think it comes that close but we are talking about different games.

Like I said before you cant compare it with Uncharted on a technical level, but the overall look&feel rivals the one of Uncharted.

It's hard to describe without spoiling stuff, but it's awesome if you are at point A, you see B far away and when you finally reach B a couple of hours later you look back at A (and know that you can easily back track to A). That's why it feels more open (and thus more impressive) than Uncharted. The only time I got a similar feeling in Uncharted was when you climbed that big building Uncharted 2 and looked over the city.

That doesn't make it impressive or acceptable when we have a cheaper alternative with PC that looks way better.

Yes but talking about how ulgy a game is on consoles can scare console only people away from potentially gerat games just cause "it looks ugly" but your comparing it to PC graphics instead of other console games. It can just get a little one sided.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Yes but talking about how ulgy a game is on consoles can scare console only people away from potentially gerat games just cause "it looks ugly" but your comparing it to PC graphics instead of other console games. It can just get a little one sided.

It could also push people to build their own gaming PCs or buy a gaming PC.

Eideka

Banned
Like I said before you cant compare it with Uncharted on a technical level, but the overall look&feel rivals the one of Uncharted.
I can't wait for see that by myself. I have not been impressed by Uncharted 2 regarding overall pacing, in my humble opinion Batman AA trumps it easily in that department, but that's subjective and debattable I suppose.
It's not inconceivable that TR can hold its own against UC2.

Nice, preloading as well. I'm ashamed to say that the DX11 hair is what pushed me over the edge to buy this game :lol
If you have the right hardware there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
It really does make a significant difference and should frequently be brought up as a highlight of the PC version.

Video games.

Shame I don't buy locally anymore. There were supposed to be big fines put in place but it's still K-Mart selling early half the time

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alrighty, pre-order via the Microsoft Store complete. I will use the free $20 Allards towards Resident Evil Revelations whenever it's released, so I'm feeling pretty good about this whole transaction.

Hahaha! That's exactly what I'm doing this weekend for the exact same reasons! lmao.

LOL! What are you getting this weekend? I'm going with Far Cry 3 if I can get it, Halo 4 otherwise.

I can't wait for see that by myself. I have not been impressed by Uncharted 2 regarding overall pacing, in my humble opinion Batman AA trumps it easily in that department, but that's subjective and debattable I suppose.
It's not inconceivable that TR can hold its own against UC2.

Batman AA pretty much lets you set your own pacing for the most part, Uncharted is a constantly driving experience. They aren't really comparable.

Nemesis_

If it means that I'm going to come into every thread complaining about how six year old hardware can't match a computer built this year, then let me not build a gaming PC then.

iZxaqVOW1F0FN.gif

I have a gaming PC, I just prefer to play on my Xbox as it's easier and I chat to my friends often while playing games

Shame I don't buy locally anymore. There were supposed to be big fines put in place but it's still K-Mart selling early half the time

Heard it was JB. They were first to sell this morning from what I saw.

Sure.

If it means that I'm going to come into every thread complaining about how six year old hardware can't match a computer built this year, then let me not build a gaming PC then.

I have a gaming PC, I just prefer to play on my Xbox as it's easier and I chat to my friends often while playing games

My thoughts and situation exactly!

Nemesis_

I just had an AMAZING moment during the
Base Proper
. So good. I like how this game makes you think a little bit with how you approach things.

Derrick01

Banned
The fact that you are actually getting this blows my mind.....

I pretty much have to otherwise I'm going to be stuck playing a game that looks like those screens on the last page, plus running at 20fps too. Can't put myself through that, the game is going to be rough enough on me.

Rvaisse

I'm Playing this game since a few days, 70% completed.
I have to say :
This game is Great ! Freaking good ! The Atmosphere Is amazing, there's a lot to do, huge areas to explore !
I want TR2 at e3 pleeaaasseee ^^

Nemesis_

Im either going to take my chances with RE6 or Absolution.

Both me and ilnadmyydhnydne will attest to how good RE6 is, but I personally couldn't get into Absolution (though I was busy in real life at the time, so I couldn't really give it a proper chance)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Im either going to take my chances with RE6 or Absolution.

I hope you have 30 hours of free time this weekend if you intend to finish RE6. It's a great action game, just don't expect it to feel very much like Resident Evil.

Funny, I just realized that seems to be the general criticism of Tomb Raider as well. I look forward to comparing them.

Both me and ilnadmyydhnydne will attest to how good RE6 is, but I personally couldn't get into Absolution (though I was busy in real life at the time, so I couldn't really give it a proper chance)

MQFZkFh.gif

This gif is perfect in every single way for this particular moment.

FordGTGuy

Banned

iZxaqVOW1F0FN.gif

Heard it was JB. They were first to sell this morning from what I saw.

Community is a perfectly fine reason to buy the game on Xbox 360 but the bottom-line that Tomb Raider's multiplayer is really filler that even the guy on Giant Bomb says should just be ignored Tomb Raider isn't really a game restricting you to a certain community.

I'm not complaining I'm merely leaving a observation, also how is playing games on Xbox easier than PC?

You can still chat with your friends while playing just leave your Xbox on and use your mic.

BTW that 8 year old hardware can't match PCs built 5 years ago let alone this year.

Andrew.

Banned
I hope you have 30 hours of free time this weekend if you intend to finish RE6. It's a great action game, just don't expect it to feel very much like Resident Evil.

That's okay. I know it's a very polarizing experience, but the odd comparisons to Vanquish and stuff that I've heard sparks my curiousity to the core.

Top Bottom