• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Nemesis_

Community is a perfectly fine reason to buy the game on Xbox 360 but the bottom-line that Tomb Raider's multiplayer is really filler that even the guy on Giant Bomb says should just be ignored Tomb Raider isn't really a game restricting you to a certain community.

I'm not complaining I'm merely leaving a observation, also how is playing games on Xbox easier than PC?

You can still chat with your friends while playing just leave your Xbox on and use your mic.

I chuck the disc in, and I play it. I don't have to tinker with settings or anything, it just works. All my friends play on console too - and if they do want to PLAY this game with me (which I didn't even mention, btw) the option is there.

Yes, it's lazy. Yes, I could be experiencing it better. But I work two jobs, am a practicing medical officer and write reviews for two sites on top of that. I need all the time I can get, and sitting / lying on the couch is a better experience for me to relax after a huge fucking day at work.

I'm not saying PC is worse or anything - I know it looks better and I know I could be playing this game in 60fps with amazing graphics if I wanted to put down the money to get a decent enough rig and consistently update it. But I just don't care enough to bother - graphics, to me, in a game are just so inconsequential to whether or not I'll enjoy the game.

The atmosphere is rich enough particularly in this game for me to enjoy it to not notice it's shortcomings.

I also loathe the elitism that PC gamers breed, and it's a little bit of a reason as to why I was a bit hostile earlier. Sorry. >_>

ibyJgo6AIGsa7e.gif

RE6 does have some legitimately great mechanics, they really shine in Mercenaries. There are even parts of that game's campaign that are legitimately fun, it's just a shame those moments are buried under a lot of crap. Could have been an awesome game if Capcom had anyone left that could lead a game with any sort of distinct vision.

By the way, Tomb Raider is cool, guys.

I chuck the disc in, and I play it. I don't have to tinker with settings or anything, it just works. All my friends play on console too - and if they do want to PLAY this game with me (which I didn't even mention, btw) the option is there.

Yes, it's lazy. Yes, I could be experiencing it better. But I work two jobs, am a practicing medical officer and write reviews for two sites on top of that. I need all the time I can get, and sitting / lying on the couch is a better experience for me to relax after a huge fucking day at work.

I'm not saying PC is worse or anything - I know it looks better and I know I could be playing this game in 60fps with amazing graphics if I wanted to put down the money to get a decent enough rig and consistently update it. But I just don't care enough to bother - graphics, to me, in a game are just so inconsequential to whether or not I'll enjoy the game.

The atmosphere is rich enough particularly in this game for me to enjoy it to not notice it's shortcomings.

I also loathe the elitism that PC gamers breed, and it's a little bit of a reason as to why I was a bit hostile earlier. Sorry. >_>

ibyJgo6AIGsa7e.gif

For sure. And in Australia it seems you kind of have to spend a sizeable amount of money to get a decent PC capable of pumping out the sort of visuals Internet PC Believers are always flaunting. If you're comfortable with the visuals on consoles then they're still a great option. Tomb Raider regularly looks great on 360, by console standards.

Yes, the game will inevitably look remarkably better on a good PC, but that doesn't mean the console versions look like dirt (well, they do comparably, but some people need some perspective).

FordGTGuy

Banned

You're missing a step or two, drive to the store, pay way more for the game than you should be, drive home, remove the annoying wrapper, enter the dumb extra content codes, update the game and finally play.

I'm a avid console and PC gamer and I definitely know the woes of gaming on both platforms.

Most new PC games automatically check your hardware and setup your graphical settings without you having to interfere and with preloading you don't even have to get off your butt once it's unlocked to play it.

Derrick01

Banned
You're missing a step or two, drive to the store, pay way more for the game than you should be, drive home, remove the annoying wrapper, enter the dumb extra content codes, update the game and finally play.

I'm a avid console and PC gamer and I definitely know the woes of gaming on both platforms.

Most new PC games automatically check your hardware and setup your graphical settings without you having to interfere and with preloading you don't even have to get off your butt once it's unlocked to play it.

Don't even bother man, people like that have their minds made up no matter how incorrect their 2005 notions of PC gaming are.

The bolded is especially amazing. You have to pay $50-$60 to get a game that looks and runs as horrible as most multiplatform console games do now, while I got a ridiculously better looking and running version for half that price. Blows my mind how unfair that is, but I'm not complaining :)

So it seems Amazon does not have keys, does anyone have this problem?

When I click on my order details it gives me a message saying it may take up to 4 hours to process the order. Maybe they are getting everything ready so we can get our keys to preload.

Nemesis_

Oh, well, even so my setup doesn't allow me to relax like I would playing a PC game. It's just the way it is, but thanks for clarifying.

I don't see "driving to the store" or "unwrapping" as being a bad thing nor a hassle. Particularly since I work where we sell the games. I also am not in a position to download every game that comes out as here in Australia our internet is metered (or at least my plan is). It's just not a viable option. Price is not an issue for me considering my position.

I'm also somewhat of a collectors and prefer a physical copy.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, as am I with mine. But thanks for being civil.

Additionally, if I bought a PC copy while I was at the store today (as that's the only way I could've this morning) then I wouldn't have been able to play it all this time. This is circumstantial, yes, but I have a whole weeks of study ahead for me with a big exam. Tomb Raider's situation just works better on a console for me.

I can also sell my copy should/if I want to in the future.

Don't even bother man, people like that have their minds made up no matter how incorrect their 2005 notions of PC gaming are.

The bolded is especially amazing. You have to pay $50-$60 to get a game that looks and runs as horrible as most multiplatform console games do now, while I got a ridiculously better looking and running version for half that price. Blows my mind how unfair that is, but I'm not complaining :)

The FUMES. I guess that's what 35 posts a day gets you. I don't even reach that and I'm already getting frustrated with this elitism. At least FordGT was semi civil about it.

dreamfall

Pre-load on Steam, complete.

So much anticipation.

So ready to play this, and figure out what's been going on with a different Tomb Raider approach.

Yeah, I've got a nice PC, but lately I usually buy multiplatform games on my PS3. PC games have zero resale value, and if I end up buying a game I hate, I can't sell it back. I'm stuck with it forever (eg: Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2).

And also a lot of PC games recently have had stuttering issues. Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3, Darksiders 2...seems like every PC game I buy I end up having to google some solution to an issue I'm having.

Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming. I'm glad to have an optimized Witcher 2 on my PC as opposed to owning the 360 version, even though I had to spend some time fixing its stuttering.

vidcons

Banned
The FUMES. I guess that's what 35 posts a day gets you. I don't even reach that and I'm already getting frustrated with this elitism. At least FordGT was semi civil about it.

it's really weird how you defend your lifestyle (working retail, having to play games AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, mentioning how you collect games (and then sell them?!?!?!)) and then try to harp on someone's post count and elitism

fucking l-o-l

Andrew.

Banned
Fuck, might as well romp through one or a couple of the Uncharteds this weekend. Makes sense anyway. Save me some dollars.

I haven't missed those steps in 4 years. I type amazon.com into my browser, I put the game I want in my queue, I buy it, it arrives on my doorstep on release day. Then I sell it to someone else when I'm done for about 70-80 percent of what I paid. On Amazon. Again no need to leave the house if I don't feel like it.

Harlequin

It'll be interesting to see if she's able to get the part of Lara in the upcoming TR movie. Would be awesome to see a voice actress actually play her part in the movie, as well. Not sure if she's a good enough actress, though.

I need to rewatch those episodes of Californication.

I watch it for the man-love between Hank and Runkle. All the full frontal female nudity is a bonus. Totally a bonus. Mmmm bonus.

It'll be interesting to see if she's able to get the part of Lara in the upcoming TR movie. Would be awesome to see a voice actress actually play her part in the movie, as well. Not sure if she's a good enough actress, though.

The movies are cheesy enough that she could do it. She's not the greatest actress I've ever seen. She's also lacking in the breast department, but I'm sure they can enhance those with prop bras.

Honestly, you guys are kinda creeping me out.

Gonna be a busy weekend. Looking forward to catching up on impressions from the front row fans and our dejected peanut gallery on Monday. Hope those who got the game early either continue to enjoy themselves, or are inspired to write an entertaining diatribe.

Top Bottom